Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

Very glad to see another add-on get added to consoles! As soon as I finish Ion Fury I’ll be trying this out

I am not going to post a long-winded post (it would be a waste of time and effort, as most people tolerate my posts, not enjoy), but I can say that all maps match byte-to-byte the public release, v1.1. As for art, no art has been edited / censored. On the contrary, four assets have been added: HELP, CREDIT, BOSSBACK (default widescreen ones from doom2.wad, edited to match the customised palette) and STBAR (widescreen). Assets borrowed from doom2.wad to convert it to an IWAD aside...

GnURQiV.png

gDpS3F1.png

zQwkO46.png

DeuJ5VO.png

35 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

all maps match byte-to-byte the public release, v1.1. As for art, no art has been edited / censored.

1.1 of Syringe was just released today in tandem with the Bethesda release. When comparing it to the original 1.0 release, dated December 24, 2019, there are a handful of differences:

• The 1.1/Bethesdasoft version adds demos which the original release lacked entirely. The three demos are all identical, and they involve the player spawning in MAP05 and immediately blowing himself up with a face rocket on a wall.
  • All of the Imps were removed in the final room in MAP04. Image, original on top and Bethesda on bottom.
  • A presumably misplaced Berserk was removed in MAP06. Image, original on top and Bethesda on bottom.
  • Co-op starts were added to MAP07.
  • The internal WADINFO lump was edited, upping the version from 1.0 to 1.1 and changing the authors section, namely adding Matt Tropiano and moving several names to a new "Special Thanks" section since their work was removed in this release. Copied from the new WADINFO:
  • Spoiler

Special Thanks:
     - Matt Tropiano (DoomTools rocks!)
     - FuzzballFox (textures used in previous versions of wad)
     - DrDoctor (ditto)
     - tv (double ditto)
     - Nick Baker (mega ditto!)
     - Raven Software (ultimate ditto combo!)

• And most significantly, several dozen textures were changed, presumably for copyright reasons to replace the contributions from the aforementioned omitted authors.

Here's a long collage of all of the changed textures, originals on the left and 1.1/Bethesda versions on the right:

Spoiler

gbJpUzx.png

Edited by Revenant100

15 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

The three demos are all identical, and they involve the player spawning in MAP05 and immediately blowing himself up with a face rocket on a wall.

I bet Xaser did it.

You never disappoint, sure.

At any rate, when comparing both v1.1 releases, I think these four graphics are actually borrowings from the Unity IWAD, without any edits whatsoever. These comparisons get confusing with so many assets from doom2.wad.

Finally, I would say this is the first time the public release of something released as an official add-on gets ‘Bethesdasoftised’, so to speak.

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

I bet Xaser did it.

What gave it away? :P

But yeah, the v1.1 release is the same as the Unity addon, in terms of actual mod content*. I did all the texture replacements myself, and I dig how they turned out so I figured I'd just roll with 'em instead of having there be two wildly different versions of the mod floating about. I kinda wanted to do the same with NEIS but NT is partial to the old sky textures, so we left that one as-is. :P 

[*The addon version uses a sneaky sponge trick: it's actually an IWAD, with all the assets from the Unity Doom2 IWAD copied over to get it to run standalone, which allows players to load the addon in either Doom or Doom 2. The addon version of BTSX also uses this trick -- maybe some other ones too?]

Just now, Xaser said:

the same as the Unity addon

Thanks for confirming I am not getting crazy(-ier), and for the explanation.

Well, the official add-on after two passes of ‘remove entries duplicated from IWAD’, the first one with doom2_unity.wad (not the classic 1.9, as before), and the second one with syringe.wad (v1.1). And, of course, all maps extracted as loose maps by DeuTex do match.

Welp, nows a better time than ever to boot up my Playstation again. thanks, @sponge and the team behind this! 

The Unity port will look for a E1M1 or MAP01 lump in order to determine Doom 1 or Doom 2. This is what, as mentioned, lets us run the add-ons in both games. I don't think this was stock Doom behavior, but it seemed like the easiest way to detect D1 or D2. We then just merge the appropriate game's IWAD with the PWAD, and voila, no need for game specific add-ons anymore!

50 minutes ago, sponge said:

The Unity port will look for a E1M1 or MAP01 lump in order to determine Doom 1 or Doom 2. This is what, as mentioned, lets us run the add-ons in both games. I don't think this was stock Doom behavior, but it seemed like the easiest way to detect D1 or D2. We then just merge the appropriate game's IWAD with the PWAD, and voila, no need for game specific add-ons anymore!

It close to stock, though with a key difference. Vanilla 1.9 just checked based on the first IWAD it could find (if it found Doom2.wad first, it would launch as commercial, otherwise if it found Doom.wad it would launch as registered), I think sometime around the original Xbox 1.11 port they changed it to check the lumps for the type so they could include both IWADs in the same folder and let the launch setting dictate it.

So I know I must sound like a broken record hear, but I was just watching a random video review of the Doom series and some of the comments mentioned the Xbox stuttering issue. It's worth mentioning that they are playing on an Xbox Series X, so I'm assuming it's an issue that affects all Xbox consoles (Series S/X & One S/X).

Here's a link with the comment highlighted:

I'm not seeing any stuttering in that video you specifically linked, which was also recorded on a Series X. So the problem is not universal, thus presenting the obvious question; are the developers even experiencing this, and what are they supposed to do if they aren't? Is it even the games problem?

I don't know, but it's interesting that both of the commenters even mention that they own the games on PC/PS4 and don't experience the same issue with those platforms.

Could you please maybe check one more time? I know that you're a developer yourself, and I respect your opinion/analysis. Just load up the first level of Doom 2 and turn around into the fenced in area by the chainsaw. When turning in a circle there's a constant slight "judder" for me that is subtle at first, but once you notice it it's very distracting. It's not a super obvious erratic frame pacing issue, but more like a constant and minor "jerking" or "judder" when the camera moves left or right.

If you really don't see anything this time, then I guess I'll drop it.

I mean there's no point me checking, it's not my game, nor even an engine I use. :V (Well kind of, I don't use Unity part of it anyway.)

Note that I don't doubt that it apparently exists for some people, but there's obviously an untold detail going on.

On 4/24/2021 at 4:27 PM, Mr. Death said:

So I know I must sound like a broken record hear, but I was just watching a random video review of the Doom series and some of the comments mentioned the Xbox stuttering issue. It's worth mentioning that they are playing on an Xbox Series X, so I'm assuming it's an issue that affects all Xbox consoles (Series S/X & One S/X).

Here's a link with the comment highlighted:

The stuttering issue is an issue that is currently present in all ports of the game. It just doesn't happen often, if at all.

12 minutes ago, THiEF said:

The stuttering issue is an issue that is currently present in all ports of the game. It just doesn't happen often, if at all.

That must be a completely different issue then, because this particular stuttering I'm talking about happens constantly during gameplay on Xbox (about 1-2 times per second). It's a jerking/juddering that happens specifically when turning in either Doom or Doom II.

Just now, Mr. Death said:

That must be a completely different issue then, because this particular stuttering I'm talking about happens constantly during gameplay on Xbox (about 1-2 times per second). It's a jerking/juddering that happens specifically when turning in either Doom or Doom II.

I know one one issue like that, that happens when I'm streaming in Discord, every now and then my game will drop to like 20 fps on any form of turning or moving. But what you are explaining I don't think I've seen yet

1 minute ago, THiEF said:

I know one one issue like that, that happens when I'm streaming in Discord, every now and then my game will drop to like 20 fps on any form of turning or moving. But what you are explaining I don't think I've seen yet

Are you playing on Xbox? If so, then try loading up a level and turn slowly in a circle. Like I said before, it's subtle at first, but once you notice it it's very distracting. It's often caused me to overshoot my targets and miss a lot. It's a slight jerking/judder that happens about 1-2 times per second.

I forgot to mention before, but I originally played the Classic Doom games on the old fat model Xbox One, then I eventually upgraded to the Xbox One X. I completely re-downloaded the games again for the new console, and the exact same issue persists. That's part of what makes me think that it's an Xbox issue across all of the models (Series S/X & One S/X).

I mainly play the Unity Port on Xbox One and I have never had that happen in probably hundreds of hours playing.

3 hours ago, NinjaDelphox said:

I mainly play the Unity Port on Xbox One and I have never had that happen in probably hundreds of hours playing.

I really wish I knew what was causing it for me then :/

Like I've said before, I always get excited every time a new add-on is announced, and immediately when I boot up the game I'm reminded that the stuttering issue is still there...

Having played a quite a bit on both Switch and PC, I've not run into any stuttering issues.

Here are two issues that keep occurring to me with switch version

Issue 1: Weapons rumble issue upon changing a map
When you load into the map, either by loading a save file, or completing a level, if the first rumble of the controller is caused by a weapon shot, it lasts a lot longer than it should. It occurs with each weapon, but it is the most problematic with Super Shotgun, as it has the strongest vibrations. It appears to occur only in downloadable expansions. In the video I captured, the vibration lasts for about 3 seconds, but it can be up to 7 seconds if you are unlucky.

Reproduction steps:
1. Start Doom 1 or Doom 2 from switch menu
2. Activate any add-on
3. Start any level and obtain Super Shotgun or any other weapon with strong HD rumble effect
4. Save your game
5. Exit to the main menu
6. Load the previously created save file
7. Instantly shoot your weapon upon loading the save file
8. Observe the rumble being far longer than it should be

Here is a video showing the issue:

Issue 2: Sleep mode wake up issues
Making the console go into the sleep mode and then waking it up often results in the Main Menu getting displayed instead of the pause menu, which makes it impossible to continue playing without loading the save file. If you are unlucky, your game gets frozen instead of displaying the inappropriate menu, which requires a full restart of the game.

Reproduction steps:
1. Start Doom 1 or Doom 2 from switch menu
2. Load any add-on
3. Start any level
4. Pause the game
5. Make the console go into the sleep mode
6. Wake the console up from sleep mode
7. Enter the suspended Doom app from switch menu
8. Repeat steps 5-7 several times
9. Observe the Main Menu getting displayed instead of pause menu OR the game being frozen, requiring a restart

Here is a video showing both issues:

@sponge I saw in your post from last week that you mentioned you look at WADs made for Cacowards, talking to people you know, and community suggestions in order to choose which ones are added to the Unity Port. I wanted to ask a question about the last one, being the community suggestions. I was wondering if by this you meant suggestions like from this thread where community members just talked about which WADs and Mods they would like to see added? I wonder if that is so since REKKR and DOOM Zero were later added and both mentioned in this thread (Although it could have been assumed at that point that REKKR had already been chosen). Or, if by this statement, you meant you went onto Doomworld or the DOOM Subreddit, or somewhere else, and scrolled through WADs that you saw on there, choosing the ones that looked the nicest and had easily contactable authors? 

I also see that recently, official WADs released on the port have been spaced out much more, with them usually coming out within two months or so from one another to 3 months, to 4. I was wondering if demand for more WADs has gone down, or more and more Wads have uncontactable authors?

Also, have DeHacked gameplay mods been considered as add-ons? like some sort of weapon pack or something that changes the enemies appearances? 

I know that ever since its release, and especially after its Cacoward, Three Is a Crowd has been talked about as a possible add-on. although, that doesn't really have much to do with my question. 

thank you. 

8 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

Here are two issues that keep occurring to me with switch version

Issue 1: Weapons rumble issue upon changing a map

There is another issue with rumble I notice in both the PC and Xbox versions: Rumble for player weapon fire happens way too early.

Most weapons have a 7 tic or so (200ms) delay between when you press the button and when the weapon gets to it's actual firing frame. But the rumble starts immediately.

This is not an issue with TV lag as some might suggest, as weapons that fire instantly (such as chaingun or plasma gun) feel fine with rumble.

In short, the rumble needs a delay for most of the weapons before they start. I think rumble in general is nice, especially the added feedback for getting hit and for hitting switches/doors, but the wrong timing with the weapons is distracting enough that I disable rumble. Surely however the rumble data is stored could have a "silent" portion added for the beginning of these weapons/sounds?

Another question I have. Does ID/Bethesda/Microsoft have the rights to TeamTNT and assets/WADs they have made? I know TeamTNT has a few Vanilla-compatible WADs beyond Evilution. 

11 minutes ago, Chip said:

Another question I have. Does ID/Bethesda/Microsoft have the rights to TeamTNT and assets/WADs they have made? I know TeamTNT has a few Vanilla-compatible WADs beyond Evilution. 

as far as i know, they only licensed Evilution, not all the Team TNT work.

So yes, it kinda sad that some of their other vanilla work can't be official too.

19 hours ago, Chip said:

They only own Evilution. Anything else would require getting permission from everyone involved, and unless you know any out-of-work necromancers that's not going to happen.