Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smeghammer

PRBoom+ alternate IWAD location

Hi PR Boom users!

I decided to - finally - try another sourceport than GZDoom. I decided to look at PR Boom+ for Windows. I got the latest version at the time of writing (2.5.1.5) and it's all good - set up for Doom2 and I can D-n-D a PWAD onto the .exe file and it will load just fine.

However, the generated .cfg file doesn't seem to offer the option to specify an IWAD location that is not the same directory as the PRBoom exe. What I would like to do is configure my new PRBoom sourceport to point to my existing IWAD files directory. Is this possible? It looks like you can specify an IWAD path on the command line, though ideally I'd like to do it via a config file. 

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks all.

I use the DOOMWADDIR environment variable. Assuming you're on Windows 10, type "env" after clicking on the start menu and it should pull up a link to the control pane which lets you edit environmental variables. Create a new variable named DOOMWADDIR and set it to the absolute path of the directory where your IWADs reside. I'm pretty sure every sourceport will use this variable when it searches for IWAD files.

3 hours ago, smeghammer said:

I got the latest version at the time of writing (2.5.1.5) and it's all good

Don't know for sure, but i think that version you downloaded doesn't have maintenace anymore.
Also, if you come from GZDoom and are use to MAPINFO, you may find useful the fork of PrBoom+ known as PrBoom+UMAPINFO
And as far as i know, its a more developed version with more quality of life improvement than the version you downloaded, but still being the core PrBoom+ experience.

Here is the link:

9 hours ago, mikeday said:

I use the DOOMWADDIR environment variable. Assuming you're on Windows 10, type "env" after clicking on the start menu and it should pull up a link to the control pane which lets you edit environmental variables. Create a new variable named DOOMWADDIR and set it to the absolute path of the directory where your IWADs reside. I'm pretty sure every sourceport will use this variable when it searches for IWAD files.

That's neat. I wish I'd known about that 'ing ages ago! TBH, I didn't even think about proper OS integration because GZDoom has a config file entry that can specify an arbitrary IWAD location.

RTFM (or RTFW) probably applies here...

9 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Don't know for sure, but i think that version you downloaded doesn't have maintenace anymore.

Oh yeah, you are right - I got to the sourceforge location and just assumed that was the most current... My bad for not checking the commit dates.

I'll definitely check out the fork you suggest as well.

Thanks for the info both.