Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gokuma

Gigantic C&C Red Alert 1 mod released

Being mostly off-topic I'm posting this on the everything else forum, but it does contain at least one modified Doom sound (my favorite, try and find it) and there's a couple people on these forums who at least used to play RA. Well here's a reason to install it.

Project Revolution v1.0 is out.

It's probably the largest mod ever for the game whith tons of new graphics and sounds. I did the voices for the alternate EVA/announcer, Tanya/ScrinCommander, and normal Scrin units (using some SBLivePlatinum Surround Mixer effects).

My many voices shall haunt your dreams.

Ugh, Red Alert!
That was the one C&C game that fucked up the C&C series. The C&C story line seemed perfectly ok until that wretched game came along with its totally obnoxious plot twist and fucked up everything. (Not to mention that it made Russians seem evil again - not that I'm particularly liking Russians now, given the present circumstances).

Just dropping off some steam here.

I suppose this mod is interesting, but I don't feel like getting my hands on RA just to get this mod on my pc.

dsm said:

Ugh, Red Alert!
That was the one C&C game that fucked up the C&C series. The C&C story line seemed perfectly ok until that wretched game came along with its totally obnoxious plot twist and fucked up everything. (Not to mention that it made Russians seem evil again - not that I'm particularly liking Russians now, given the present circumstances).

RA really didn't have much to do with the C&C series - it was just an excuse to have a world-war-II-esque scenario. IMO RA is one of the best games in the series, better than C&C definetly.

The RA series tend to be more fun than the normal C&C games. Dunno why that's the case...

And RA's storyline kinda further proved that the C&C universe falls in to the alternate history style of storytelling - IIRC the original C&C was set in 1995 (Tiberian Sun was set 30 or so years after it).

Russia's not evil, but Stalin was. Anyway, it's just a game. I'm 1/8 Russian and I'm taking Russian martial arts and I don't take offense. Besides, in Project Revolution it's humans vs aliens, so no possible Russia bashing there.

I rank the standard C&C RTS games like this:
1. C&C (The original, preferably Gold Edition)
2. C&C Red Alert
3. Tiberian Sun (Firestorm is a freaking cool add-on!)
And a very distant 4. Red Alert 2

Haven't played Generals yet.

While I discuss the story I won't name anything specific so I hopefully don't spoil anything.

Red Alert was made as a prequal to the original and you do see a connection playing through and beating the game with the Soviets (which is better explained after playing through Tiberian Sun+Firestorm). But in the storyline the Allies actually won. You just don't see the story connection during their campaign.

I think RA2 included much of an EA fuck up factor (Damn them for disolving Westwood!) and completely ditched the Tiberium storyline especially with Yuri's Revenge. A new Tiberium/Tiberian game is in the works though. Although please no one spoil the story of RA2/Yuri's. I haven't played too far into it yet. I've played completely through the campaigns of the original C&C, Red Alert 1, and both normal Tiberian Sun and its add-on Firestorm, plus the campaign in C&C Renegade. The whole Tiberium storyline collectively kicks major ass.

The add-ons Covert Operations for the original C&C and Counterstrike & Aftermath for RA1 don't really develop much on any story but they're cool.

Russia's not evil, but Stalin was.

I wouldn't call Stalin evil either... dispite the bad things he did, he did command the red army that defeated Hitler.

That's why the story in RA is so unrealistic. In great contrast to what cold-war propaganda wanted us to believe Stalin never wanted to take over the world.

Still: RA is a great game though IMO...

C&C is definitely my favorite RTS, and I'm looking forward to play Generals. The others were so-so in comparison.

Covert Operations ruled!

The communists did practically all the fighting against Hitler. Thats why it took so long for the Jewish community to joint up with everybody else in hating the (stalinist) communists.

Stalin was evil no doubt, but i think the story of Red Alert was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek

I never said anything about him wanting to take over the world, but Stalin actually had more people killed than Hitler (16 million opposed to 9 million). He just wasn't as nearly as sick as Hitler about torturing and persecuting a specific ethnicity or religion. He did have some Jews imprisoned and probably also executed some. Stalin wasn't supposed to be succeed Lenin and he did seriously screw up communism. But he was an important ally who helped defeat Hitler.

Red Alert's endings are pretty funny, especially the Soviet one.

Back on the subject of RA and Project Revolution. PR is not designed to run with the Aftermath add-on yet so don't install that. Counterstrike should be alright, but it's best to just install the base game and patch it to v1.08. If you're having trouble running RA under Win XP, get the v3.03 beta patch here (although I don't know how well PR will work with v3.03). If you still have trouble running the game after that, tell me what it does and I may have an idea to get it working.

Heh, cool David Bowie reference (your title), Spank.

I was a mayjor fan or RA it was fun and addictive but westwood has a good talent for making vehicles and weapons really stupid in these games, for example a 120mm gun wont kill infantry till after like 10 shots, this is suppose to be in the world war to scenario well wtf mammoth tanks??? shit like that its retarded.

Tyockell said:

I was a mayjor fan or RA it was fun and addictive but westwood has a good talent for making vehicles and weapons really stupid in these games, for example a 120mm gun wont kill infantry till after like 10 shots, this is suppose to be in the world war to scenario well wtf mammoth tanks??? shit like that its retarded.

This was to simulate infantry's ability to DUCK and CRAWL and AVOID ARTILLERY FIRE. This is how, in RTS games, you make infantry and armor, using smallarms and artillery, have advantages/disadvantages in combat against each other. Otherwise, why the hell have infantry units at all?

Hate to say it but I've never played Command and Conquer, so I'm completely apathetic.

DooMBoy said:

Hate to say it but I've never played Command and Conquer, so I'm completely apathetic.

You deprived bastard!