Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom Zero - launch (and celebrating 25 years of Doom II)

10 hours ago, P41R47 said:

probably, not certain, some of the unknown code pointers use on tweaking the animations of the weapons is interfering on how MBF handles them. 

Look at the error messages: it's not complaining about dehacked stuff, it's complaining about texture definitions. There's no way for DEHACKED to interfere with textures.

Opening the wad (version 2.2, the latest I found on ModDB) in SLADE, I see that SW1STON2 and SW2STON2 are indeed faulty. Both are defined as 32x32 textures, but made out of only one patch, SW2_1 and SW2_2 respectively, which are 22x26 patches. That does indeed leave 10 columns (and 6 rows, but those are not an issue) without a patch.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Look at the error messages: it's not complaining about dehacked stuff, it's complaining about texture definitions. There's no way for DEHACKED to interfere with textures.

Opening the wad (version 2.2, the latest I found on ModDB) in SLADE, I see that SW1STON2 and SW2STON2 are indeed faulty. Both are defined as 32x32 textures, but made out of only one patch, SW2_1 and SW2_2 respectively, which are 22x26 patches. That does indeed leave 10 columns (and 6 rows, but those are not an issue) without a patch.

thats seem to be the problem, indeed.

Thanks for correcting me, i replied from my phone and the image didn't loaded at all, so i was just guessing by the description of the problem.

On 4/2/2021 at 2:27 PM, dei_eldren said:

Oh yes, only downside playing this on DOS is that i couldn't figure how to use the custom music pack with it, probably it's impossible.  Tested it shortly on ZDoom and would've really wanted to use it.

Glad you are enjoying it. But yeah, that's right: The music pack will only work with source ports that can run the OGG format stored in a WAD

On 4/1/2021 at 10:07 PM, Warrex said:

Hi,

I am trying to run Doom Zero with MBF (https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=40857). Does not work for me (see screenshot). Tested the lastet release by germin and the latest one from crvs. Any idea what is going on? The deh-file seems to be loaded after all.

Edit: I am using the v1.9 doom2.wad and using the v1.9 doom2.exe works fine. Other vanilla projects like Doom 64 for Doom 2, BTSX E1 + E2 work fine in MBF.

Capture.JPG

I will look into that. I'm not sure how to fix it but I'll do my best

Here's the fix. Shove these into the wad.

sw1sw2 ston2.zip

The Y offset for the texture in TEXTURE1 might need changing in SLADE/XWE.

Edited by hawkwind

17 hours ago, DASI-I said:

Glad you are enjoying it. But yeah, that's right: The music pack will only work with source ports that can run the OGG format stored in a WAD

Yes, i can understand wanting the music to actually sound as intended instead of being just MIDI.  Is there a way to listen to the music from the WAD other than thru source-port or have you thought of releasing these as tracks outside of the WAD?  Hope these aren't stupid questions...

Re: gameplay mechanics that was discussed here earlier, i really enjoy it when the author uses such tricks as you with the switches - the problem is, that in many WADs it's all random, and this is why it's also sometimes easy to miss.  Some sets have frustrating progression, and one looks for rhyme or reason in them in vain...so when there is logic to it, because of such past experiences, the logic can be missed because of not even looking for it.  Wish all mappers were thoughtful and clever but... :P (And nothing wrong with it either, if one wants to make intentionally obscure progression.)

Edited by dei_eldren

On 4/6/2021 at 3:07 PM, dei_eldren said:

Yes, i can understand wanting the music to actually sound as intended instead of being just MIDI.  Is there a way to listen to the music from the WAD other than thru source-port or have you thought of releasing these as tracks outside of the WAD?  Hope these aren't stupid questions.

Not a stupid question. If you want access to the tracks outside of the WAD then just use Slade3 to export them (highlight all tracks and right click for export options). A way that you can hear the music in the game itself that is very close to what it sounds like in the HQMusic pack is by using something like CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth and use a sound font called "GeneralUser GS FluidSynth v1.44.sf2". Then set up Doom for MIDI music playback and Bob's your uncle.

12 minutes ago, DASI-I said:

Not a stupid question. If you want access to the tracks outside of the WAD then just use Slade3 to export them (highlight all tracks and right click for export options). A way that you can hear the music in the game itself that is very close to what it sounds like in the HQMusic pack is by using something like CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth and use a sound font called "GeneralUser GS FluidSynth v1.44.sf2". Then set up Doom for MIDI music playback and Bob's your uncle.

Many thanks!

On 4/6/2021 at 6:42 AM, hawkwind said:

Here's the fix. Shove these into the wad.

sw1sw2 ston2.zip

The Y offset for the texture in TEXTURE1 might need changing in SLADE/XWE.

Thanks Hawkwind. These will come in handy.

By the way, I'm making a game for anyone who is interested.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:28 PM, DASI-I said:

Thanks Hawkwind. These will come in handy.

Can you give an ETA on that?

ITS SO GOOD, LIKE: HOLY SHIT (im sorry if swearing isnt allowed here) ITS JUST AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINALS, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?. alltough, whats the deal with the fuckton of cacos and hellknights?

If anyone is interested Doom Zero is being played in the DWMegawad club this month. Come join us and talk about the WAD!

I have a question, When is there gonna be a weapons only version? I love how you made the weapons feel so different yet still maintain how they work normally.  

The SSG animation is a nice touch! 

If it wasn't for DWMC, I wouldn't have found this wad.

Doom Zero feels and plays authentic to Doom II. I didn't realize Romero had eight level design rules. Damn, you guys killed it!

On 5/8/2021 at 12:55 AM, DoomedFox said:

I have a question, When is there gonna be a weapons only version? I love how you made the weapons feel so different yet still maintain how they work normally.  

The SSG animation is a nice touch! 

You know, you could just use Doom Zero on top of a mappack and give higher priority to the mappack. I do want to make a weapons only version, but work has been extremely busy. I'll try to do it when I go on leave.

Until today, the wiki didn't cover DZ releases newer than the v1.8 it became an official add-on with (now addressed) because... well, nobody on the wiki pointed out the ModDB updates or, better, made wiki edits themselves.

But have those newer versions also been made available on Bethesda.net? What is the latest update timestamp of DZ for the add-ons list?

And while we're reviewing that table, have any other add-ons received updates not yet covered?

So Doom Zero has been updated once more, at least according to its ModDB page, where Version 3 has just been uploaded.

Unfortunately, it does not come with a changelog. :(

6 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

So Doom Zero has been updated once more, at least according to its ModDB page, where Version 3 has just been uploaded.

Unfortunately, it does not come with a changelog. :(

i'm gonna check into it, another version to archive :D

we can always ask to @DASI-I whats new on this new release ;)

15 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

we can always ask to @DASI-I whats new on this new release ;)

On ModDB, he stated that there are too many changes to count.

Hopefully its a definitive version now :p I got through half the wad before all the big changes, been putting off restarting it till its final.

So. Im still playing it through 1 more time just to make sure there are no major problems. But I decided to release it early so that others can try it.

After I've done that I will then announce it officially...and then I will finally put this on idgames.

Then I'll take the time to list all the changes in a changelog

6 hours ago, DASI-I said:

Watching that made me curious - why did you elect to go with mostly vanilla textures in Doom Zero? The prototype map had custom textures left and right haha.

6 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Watching that made me curious - why did you elect to go with mostly vanilla textures in Doom Zero? The prototype map had custom textures left and right haha.

It just simply didn't need them. Doom Zero's style is based on other official releases such as Final Doom and No Rest for the Living.

EDIT:
By the way, I forgot to add the revised boss sprites to version 3.0, it's now available as version 3.0b. The reason why I didn't call it 3.1 is because 3.0 and 3.0b are 100% compatible with each other, saves won't break, demos won't break, etc. Essentially no difference between the two.

Edited by DASI-I