Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gustavo_Playz

Why BattleMode imo was destined to fail ( please read description )

Before we start I just gotta get this outta the way, I love doom eternal and the doom franchise as a whole, hell I even beat doom 2016 and eternal and eternal’s dlcs on ultra nightmare, just so I don’t sound like I’m hating or anything like that. Lets begin. So, for a moment I want you to put yourself in my shoes, in 2019 I just got a good PC, a good rig for playing video games, and I tried out Doom 2016 for the first time, it was amazing, I beat the campaign and I was pumped for more, I then look to the multiplayer side of things, and things already start going downhill here, it takes me a long ass time just to find 1 game of deathmatch, then when I get into the game I was bumed out to see that this game had loudouts, emotes, runes, demon runes, and perks ( I think ) because I thought this would be like a classic shooter fps deathmatch, being bumed out, I quit the game. Then I saw that a new doom game was being developed called Doom Eternal, and I saw all these rumours saying that once you play doom eternal you can not go back to doom 2016, I thought to myself, oh hell yea! They could be improving multiplayer this time as well, so when I beat the campaign I could be hooked on multiplayer for some extra time on this wonderful game. Then id software releases some footage of the new multiplayer they are working on, I watched it and other gaming sources to see what it was about, I was beyond underwhelmed by this, but I figured well maybe I’ll give it a chance, so I played 2 matches of it to see if it was really worth my time, well…, it wasn’t. And I noticed that after virtually everyone beat the campaign, the population for doom eternal just went plop, unpopular after just weeks after release. Which brings us to now. Battlemode in my honest opinion was destined to fail, the concept did not bring my hopes up at all, 2 demons against 1 slayer honestly sounded repetitive from the gecko, and I searched online why they didn’t just add deathmatch ( classic style ) and it’s because quake champions needed more attention, and tbh I like quake champions, but you and I cannot deny that quake champions is just not doing so hot in popularity, and even with battlemode added and after giving champions time to succeed it still didn’t work. And I’ve been thinking that the older dooms for this reason have way more replayability ( mostly on PC ) because of mods, deathmatch, and co-op etc and people seem to like classic doom multiplayer more. And for a while regarding battlemode I thought that it was dying bcs of the issues people are pointing out, from bugs, to empty lobbies with players always leaving before a match starts, to terrible lag on both console and pc etc, but recently I asked some people and I felt this way to, they said that they weren’t bored of eternal bcs of all these issues I listed, they said that they simply had their fill and were bored and just went off to play other games, and well I came to the conclusion that this is just the truth. And bcs of this I also noticed that player population just keeps going up and down for doom eternal, whenever a dlc comes out people will check it out and play it, or if a new season comes out with new challenges, people will come back to complete the challenges or just see whats new for seasonal items, maybe 1 or 2 small portions of people come to retry battlemode only to go back to whatever other game they were playing before. Reason is, is that battlemode just isn’t a viable option for a multiplayer to keep a game long and running for a long time these days, when there are plenty of more and better multiplayers with way more replayability. And thats just the thing here, people expected battlemode to be this thing that would carry out doom and keep a popular player base for time to come, and I do believe that id software should just bring out something like deathmatch or snapmap or horde mode, and I say deathmatch bcs as much as I like champions id software needs to realize the hard cold truth about it’s popularity here, and thats the overall summary here imo, and yes I do believe that id software definitely could’ve handled battlemode better, from bugs, lag, and balancing issues and a competitive mode like people are talking about, I absolutely agree, but like I said before, even if they got everything right with this mode, it wouldn't have mattered, we would still be in the same boat we are in right now, and with that in mind imo bcs of that all this talk about “oh well, its all id software’s fault bcs they didn’t make this mode playable” and sayings like that need to stop, if you are having fun with battlemode then good for you, im happy for you, but to all those who don’t wanna be hooked on this and just wanna play some different multiplayer then by all means go ahead, but what do you all think, I would like to hear your thoughts!

I don't consider that battlemode was supposed to be popular from the beginning and would "carry out" Doom. The thoughts about it were quite the opposite, and we were not wrong. Some people enjoy it nowadays, but it's far from being a good and popular multiplayer mode. 

11 hours ago, Gustavo_Playz said:

loudouts

11 hours ago, Gustavo_Playz said:

from the gecko

my new favorite expressions

3 hours ago, Martin-CAI said:

I don't consider that battlemode was supposed to be popular from the beginning and would "carry out" Doom. The thoughts about it were quite the opposite, and we were not wrong. Some people enjoy it nowadays, but it's far from being a good and popular multiplayer mode. 

I totally agree with me being wrong about the carrying out doom thing my bad, I wrote this when I had about only 6 hours of sleep so sorry for any mistakes 

I get the strong impression that Id Software really wanted to do something different with the multiplayer this time around. In that respect I think it's a resounding success. Is it any good? I find that harder to judge. From what little I've played it seems to be well put together. I think the problem with Battlemode is less to do with itself, and more to do with what players want and expect.

It's not awful for an Evolve carbon copy but there's nothing to really keep me coming back to it other than challenges, 2016 multiplayer wasn't what most people wanted out of a Doom multiplayer but I got more playtime out of it than Battlemode. DM, TDM, Warpath, Soul Harvest and Possession were way more engaging to me than anything in Battlemode.

Edited by sluggard

I have to really say that I do like Battlemode a lot, playing as the Slayer. I love the meathook swings, ballista jumps & jump pads etc. the really fast speed it gives an exhausting nearly physical feeling straining experience against demon players that really know what they are doing. It is so intense, much more intense than playing the game campaign on Nightmare or Ultra-Nightmare, which I also love.

This is not to say that Battlemode is better than the campaigns, it just gives a different angle to playing and strategic planning as the Slayer because of the unpredictability of the demon players. It's great in small doses, a few matches here and there. I rarely play more than 1h at one go. Although I have to mention one match that took 59 minutes and 35 seconds, complete with 5 rounds phew!

I stopped playing Battlemode because most of the time I was staring at loadout and loading screens. Maybe the should have increased the number of kills between the three rounds. 

In general I liked the idea of Slayer VS demons. 

I think the 2v1 part is probably what drove away people because if there was a bigger number of demons per team, most people would prefer that more.

I also think a horde mode (either co-op or even Slayers competing on who gets the most kills) could work.

Something i like from both 2016 MP and BattleMode is when demons have exclusive attacks they normally don't have in campaign or exclusive demon races.

I feel like that could have worked with empowered/stronger enemy types in a horde mode, where some level up by chance or round.

Edited by whatup876