Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyberdemon1989

DOOM editor

hey all, I was wondering if anyone has a link to a good doom editor,
not one of those that runs on DOS or is impossible to run. I just need a good editor that is easy to use.

Thanks

Many/most of the guys here seem to use Wad author and Deepsea. I use Deepsea. Both are said to be easy to use. I can not say what wad author is really like since I have never used it. After learning the ins and outs of Deepsea I highly recommend it. The wad making tutorials are excellent.

Be sure and get your hands on reference materials and wad tutoring info if you are not yet familiar with wad making.

There are constant flame wars on these forums about which one of the many available, is best but more people seem to use Wadauthor and Deepsea. Get them both here at Doomworld in the utilities area of the site.

Go to SBSoftware.com to get the most recent Deepsea download.

I would say that DeePSea would be a good safe bet for a beginning editor.

EDIT: Damn you, Searcher, you got your response out before me! :)

While I myself use WadAuthor i would recomend DeepSea for a beginer. while WA is a good editor Deep is frequintly updated and less bugy.

I'm wondering if there is somewhere very obvious that someone can come here and have this question answered for them. It seems to come up twice a week ATM.

Anyway, yup, DeePsea for me all the way. It is a fine mapping program and it covers all the other related things that other people need an entire suite of tools on top of their mapping program to do.

I've been mapping for over 9 years and I no longer use any tool other than DeePsea. It has all the bases covered.

Learning any editor is a daunting process, and people tend to stick with the one they learned first because change is difficult. Just make sure to learn a good one first.

Edit: Boy, do I sound like a commercial or what!

DeePSea - It gets my whites whiter than white. Ahem!

Cyrez said:

While I myself use WadAuthor i would recomend DeepSea for a beginer. while WA is a good editor Deep is frequintly updated and less bugy.

Well... I would call wad author a good beginner wad editor myself :)

Enjay said:

I'm wondering if there is somewhere very obvious that someone can come here and have this question answered for them.

I've written a few tutorials for newbies on the basics of DooM editing. They'll be available as soon as I hear back on a new hosting opportunity that has come my way.

Torn said:

Well... I would call wad author a good beginner wad editor myself :)

I agree. It's one of 3 editors I tried when I was first starting, and it certainly is something a beginner should consider.

Enjay said:

Edit: Boy, do I sound like a commercial or what!

DeePSea - It gets my whites whiter than white. Ahem!

Oh gn0 a forum zombie! :P

Cyb said:

Oh gn0 a forum zombie! :P

Enjay shambles towards Cyb, arms outstretched, moaning through his semi decayed larynx -

"must press F7". :-)

I still recommend DeePsea anyway. 8 out of 10 owners said their cats preferred it.

I think Wadauthor would be great for beginners. I don't really think deepsea is very userfriendly, so I don't see it as a good place to start.

Shaviro said:

I think Wadauthor would be great for beginners. I don't really think deepsea is very userfriendly, so I don't see it as a good place to start.

I didn't find DeePsea a difficult editor to pick up, and it does come with tutorials and comprehensive help. I had been editing for some time though and moved through the fairly natural feeling progression from the old DEU editors.

Not a good place to start? Well, IMO it's certainly a good place to end up, and people do tend to stick with what they start with. So that makes it a worthwhile place to start at least :-)

I had tried EdMap and WinDeu before Deepsea without getting anywhere. Then I tried Deepsea and Khazam! I was a full-fledged mapping wizard.

Yes, but look at your title now. It seems to have burnt up your ideas a wee bit too fast...

cyberdemon1989 if you want something more challenging, try Windeu 5.24, It has no pointless options, no advanced features, its all busines, and it doesn't crash!

maxspeed said:

cyberdemon1989 if you want something more challenging, try Windeu 5.24, It has no pointless options, no advanced features, its all busines, and it doesn't crash!

Although IIRC some of the Doom2 items are missing. Nothing serious - the new Doom2 lamps are about all I can remember. 5.25 does have them but is a lot less stable than 5.24 and I don't like the way they changed things like the side def editor and thing editor.

maxspeed said:

Windeu 5.24, It has no pointless options, no advanced features, its all busines, and it doesn't crash!

Seriously, WinDEU doesn't crash! On my computer it seems to crash quite a bit. More then Deepsea, and WinDEU isn't saving any backups! That IS a problem. Windeu mainly freezes (crashes) on my computer when I try to save. It begins to not respond and thus freezes my computer. Deepsea on the other hand has a backup file saved and crashes by closing, not freezing. This saves me from restarting my computer.

I would recommend DeepSea all the way! I may have learned to use WinDeu for my first um... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 maps, but one thing in DeepSea made me cheer! You can draw a sector inside a sector and it automatically makes it double sided! HORRAH! Also there's none of that inserting verticies one at a time and selecting them all in a clockwise order and pressing Shift + Insert and then pressing Insert when you selected all the linedefs you want for that sector. DeepSea you just draw it in and your done. 3x faster or more!

I heard some nice things about WadAuthor too. I haven't tried it myself, but I would like too!

cyber-menace said:

I heard some nice things about WadAuthor too. I haven't tried it myself, but I would like too!

Yes, WadAuthor is a good editor. (See my reply to your questions on ZDooM project editing.) However, as you have already begun to get familiar with DeepSea it may be worth your while to continue with it for your editing needs while you try out other editors.

cyber-menace said:

Seriously, WinDEU doesn't crash! On my computer it seems to crash quite a bit. More then Deepsea, and WinDEU isn't saving any backups! That IS a problem. Windeu mainly freezes (crashes) on my computer when I try to save. It begins to not respond and thus freezes my computer. Deepsea on the other hand has a backup file saved and crashes by closing, not freezing. This saves me from restarting my computer.

That's odd, windeu crashes only if it saves the file with same name. But if it saves with different name, it doesn't crash. I think that windeu's readme says something that you can't save with same filename. Well this doesn't really bother me because i always save with different filename, tmp1, tmp2... and so on. and this is also very good way to make backups. But also because of this my own wad directory is very large, the wad (MSEEE) i'm working now has about 470 saves, tmp1...tmp470 ;)

maxspeed said:

But also because of this my own wad directory is very large, the wad (MSEEE) i'm working now has about 470 saves, tmp1...tmp470

Early in my editing efforts I used to save to a new file every time I saved changes to a map. It soon got really unwieldy, so I started saving to a new file only when I've made a lot of changes and I want to play it safe.

cyber-menace said:

I tend to always save with the same filename in Windeu. It doesn't crash to often and still works ... odd.

Are you using 5.25beta? 5.25beta is lot more unstable than 5.24final, and as Enjay mentioned there are other differences.

If you are using 5.25beta, you should try 5.24final (32bit) imho its a lot better.

Long live BRAINY!!!

Uhhh...use DeePsea, man!

DCK sucks...but then I wouldn't know...or would I?