Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Mega Man Or Mega Man X?

I like them both but Mega Man X was pretty solid and X2 made some major improvements to the gameplay of X1. Never really got into X3 as much but I played the hell out of the other two. I didn't make the transition to the PS1 games either so anything X3 is pretty much unknown to me beyond glancing at the TvTropes pages maybe.

The original NES games were a bit too hard for me but I can see why folks really like those games. The GB games were also pretty hard, I'm not the best Mega Man player out there. They definitely deserve their place in the Classic Canon of Great Games though. Without them the X series wouldn't have come about and I thank them for pioneering the series and concept.

They seemed to have an easier time iterating on the classic Mega Man formula in interesting ways while the X sequels quickly became much more meandering in comparison.

I really liked Mega Man 11 and felt it was the best post 8-bit sequel by a pretty wide margin. They maintained the distinct classic MM feel by having lots of screen real estate relative to the character sizes. This was something 7 and 8 diminished by increasing the size of the sprites but the games' resolutions hadn't really increased much from the NES originals (in fact the SNES resolution is exactly the same as the NES), and I think the gameplay was worse off from that. They also kept the screen locked to scrolling only 1 direction at a time and building the level design with obstacles and enemy encounters around that, while for a few select rooms they added multi-directional scrolling to add some variety.

The X series on the other hand has much more fast paced and agile gameplay with the dashing and wall jumping which is best leveraged by multi-directional scrolling in more open ended exploratory stages. And X1 is an almost perfectly designed game that gets all of this right. I don't think they really figured out how to build and improve on this formula in truly meaningful ways in the sequels like they did in the classic games. And while they added Zero as a fully fleshed out playable melee character in X4, I am not really a fan of the PS1 trilogy mainly due to how regressive the level design is. Ironically they pivoted back to a more classic MM structure in X4-X6 with stages that rely much more on scrolling locked to just 1 direction, and couple this again with how sprite sizes increased while resolution practically did not, it makes the games feel really cramped and counter-intuitive to how the X games control. Also didn't help how segmented the stages became due to the CD/memory restrictions, those boring looping spiral staircase sections, and of course the gimmicky bike stages with poorly telegraphed death traps.

If Capcom does get around to making a X9 I hope they put the MM11 team on it, since they really understood what made classic MM tick and I'm sure they could do the same for X.

...I've got a huge confession to make. This will probably brand me as a heretic and kick my ass right out of DW, but...

Doom isn't my favorite game of all-time.

Mega Man X1 is.

4 hours ago, Naked Snake said:

Never really got into X3 as much but I played the hell out of the other two. I didn't make the transition to the PS1 games either so anything X3 is pretty much unknown to me beyond glancing at the TvTropes pages maybe.

That surprises me. X3 was released on the SNES too, and by far its the most well-known and well-received version.

X all the way, I can't go back to Classic and its' slow gameplay now :p. Although, I'm not nearly as fond of the first X as most people seem to be. Easy levels, crap weapons and invincibility-spamming bosses, no thank you.

I am going to go with Mega Man X, as I like the gameplay and the aesthetics better than Classic Mega Man.

Or at least the first three Mega Man X games, as the series took a progressive dive in quality (and story), starting with Mega Man X4. The same cannot be said about Classic Mega Man, which has remained consistently solid up to this day.

Regardless, I am looking forward to the release of Mega Man X: Corrupted!

Edited by Rudolph

Megaman X is the only game in the series I ever played much. 

And I don't love it. I think it's just okay. Probably why I never much bothered with the series. 

I've watched people play all the games from both series, honestly I think I like what I've seen from X more than the original series.

Most of both the series suck as a result of capcom just milking the franchise to death. X1 gets a pass for starting the X series but as mentioned X2-4 greatly improved the formula to the point where it is outclassed. X3 was released on multiple systems but the level design leaves much to be desired with many flat areas with nothing to do, essentially padding game time, and the balance was not quite struck in response to X2's allegedly wrong approach to fixing X1's balance. X4 peaked the series with the ability to fully play as Zero, with a great OST and overall great game play, even if the bosses suffer the Spark Mandrill effect. X5 is widely panned, and X6-8 are travesties.

Similarly, the OG series is, overall, hardly worth playing. 2-4 brings all the mechanic upgrades and polishing needed, and 5 onward was mostly downhill. Overall Mega Man series (whether it be original, X, battle network, starforce, whatever) suffers from excessive franchise milking, where the dud games are held up by the amazing games.

Megaman X series since the maneuverability like dashing, wall jumps, etc. make the game a lot more fun to play. X4 and X5 are easily the best in the series.

1 hour ago, vyruss said:

image.png.9d3d78923c9ec78c4ee080621c99d271.png

They were not even made by Capcom, so nobody cares about them.

It is like saying that the Mario series is bad because of Mario Is Missing!

11 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

What series do you like?

Both.

Mega Man X (along with the Zero and ZX series) I prefer though. I like the darker theme of the X series and I think the story and characters are overall more interesting too. Haven't played everything though.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

X4 peaked the series with the ability to fully play as Zero, with a great OST and overall great game play, even if the bosses suffer the Spark Mandrill effect. X5 is widely panned, and X6-8 are travesties.

Similarly, the OG series is, overall, hardly worth playing. 2-4 brings all the mechanic upgrades and polishing needed, and 5 onward was mostly downhill. Overall Mega Man series (whether it be original, X, battle network, starforce, whatever) suffers from excessive franchise milking, where the dud games are held up by the amazing games.

@Decay Come on man X8 was a solid entry. As for the main series I´d argue it got better with later titles, especialy with Megaman 7 and 8 with their unique cartoony (MM7) and anime (MM8) style (although 8 had dogshit dub, thanks again assholes!)

I didn't make the transition to the PS1 games either so anything X3 is pretty much unknown to me beyond glancing at the TvTropes pages maybe.

@Naked Snake The Steam collection is pretty great, at least from my experience. You should buy a decent controler to play those titles though.

Mega Man X4 to X6 are the best for me.

X4 introduce the Zero's storyline, it get to the climax on X5, and then for some reason, brought back for X6.
AND I LOVE IT!!!

I can't count how many times i completed those games on the highest difficulty setting, and damn, they were hard as fuck.

Only thing that i think would make X6, the best for me, near perfect, is introducing a way to obtain Zero's Black Armor and X's Ultimate Armor much like it was possible on X5.

Supposely, you automatically obtain them when reaching the highes hunter rank, UH, on the japanese version, but i don't know if it was like that or if it was a hack i seen.

One game i'm still really hungry to taste is Mega Man X: Command Mission.

Damn, i hate not being able to buy a PS2 on my teenage years.

Also, don't know you, guys, but i really like the Mega Man: Network Battle serie.

1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

Mega Man X4 to X6 are the best for me.

X4 introduce the Zero's storyline, it get to the climax on X5, and then for some reason, brought back for X6.
AND I LOVE IT!!!

I can't count how many times i completed those games on the highest difficulty setting, and damn, they were hard as fuck.

Only thing that i think would make X6, the best for me, near perfect, is introducing a way to obtain Zero's Black Armor and X's Ultimate Armor much like it was possible on X5.

Supposely, you automatically obtain them when reaching the highes hunter rank, UH, on the japanese version, but i don't know if it was like that or if it was a hack i seen.   

@P41R47Good to hear I´m not the only one that liked X6!

You can obtain secret codes to get Zero black armor for x6 I believe (I did play X6 on X series collection on Steam though).

1 minute ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

@P41R47Good to hear I´m not the only one that liked X6!

You can obtain secret codes to get Zero black armor for x6 I believe (I did play X6 on X series collection on Steam though).

yes, i know the codes, but i mean to obtain them during the game, like how it was possible on X5, just before the figh with Zero/Awaken Zero/Ultimate X on the third or second virus stage, you can go down a pit and found the balc armor if you are Zero, or the Ultimate Armor if you are X.

The upgrading system of X6 was amazing, and the new abilities you can load thanks to it make it really customizable.

I had a friend who always played with Ultimate Buster, the upgrade that make X always shoot charged blast.

And i prefered rapid fire upgrade, fast charge, speedster and jumper, without those, the last stages where really hard to traverse because of all the awful instant kill needle areas.
High Max and Ultra Gate where awesome fights also.

And the Zombie Sigma was really creepy hahaha

Played all classic MM series (except Rockman and Forte), and only played MM X1.

Don't really like MM X series because of some personal reasons, but I can see how it's appealing to somebody else.

Though, there's something in classic MM series which has a big problem, such as MM8. I like the 8-bit ones more, so I really like MM9 and MM10 in it. I originally think MM11 was going to suck because it seems it's using some modern design, but it's actually pretty good. However, my problem to MM11 is that the selling point is that double gear system, but that is not something I'm into, so I didn't touch it at all even though I beat the game a second time using Buster only & no charge.

Yet another, "I like both but I prefer X" response. The SNES Mega Man X trilogy are some of my all-time favorites, while 7 & 8 are my favorites from the original series.

Generally prefer the classic series, I think X1 is maybe the best of the other one.

I generally have a good time no matter what if I load Mega Man 2, 3, or 9. 1, 5, 10, 11 are all pretty good games too. I think 4 and 6 are dull, and 7 and 8 are just the worst possible (with maybe 8 edging out 7 as worst Mega Man game, but it's not a long shot between them).

The only X game I've played was the original, and while I thought it was very good, there are several traditional Mega Man games I prefer over it.

@chungy I remember 4 being pretty good but 6 being kinda mediocre. 7 I absolutely hated. 8 is underrated. I never understood the hate for 8.

2 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

8 is underrated. I never understood the hate for 8.

I'd call it "Mega Man in name only" -- it feels like the complete antithesis to the series that spawned on the NES. Cutscenes galore, baby-mode hints blasting through the speakers at all times, not having the complete selection of levels available from the start, and really, really goofy artwork.

With 7 and 8, it was clear that Capcom had a different idea of Mega Man outside the NES's limitations than most of us (at least American fans...) had envisioned. Mega Man X as well as Wily Wars (on Genesis) were much closer to the idealized Mega Man style than the toddler's toys look of 7+8.

The only Mega Man I've completed is 2 with the easy difficulty and save states from the emulator. Wouldn't get very far without the save states.