Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[Now on /idgames!] 3x3: Take Two - 3 flats, 3 textures, 3 monster types speedmaps again!

AAAAAAAND TIME IS UP! Thanks to everyone who submitted maps and made this project another overwhelming success. Participating mappers are free to post further updates, but new entries won't be accepted from here on out.

Now comes the hard part - replaying each entry and deciding which map goes where.

I don't envy compiling all this into one megawad. Especially custom textures/flats (good job there can only be 6 :O

Be interesting to see the final product

@MFG38 and @PeceMan I've updated the map to fix the triple secret sector and added more ammo for UV maxers. Thanks PeceMan for the playthrough. It's very illuminating seeing other people play your maps. Hope the music didn't get too annoying :D

I've updated the original post as well but here is the updated version

Skull Faced B-stards.zip

1 minute ago, NeilJohnRips said:

Hope the music didn't get too annoying :D

HELL NO

I might even extract the song and listen to it in my free time

hope that's okay

2 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

HELL NO

I might even extract the song and listen to it in my free time

hope that's okay 

LOL yeah that's fine. If you wanna use it elsewhere then be my guest. Just mention me and it's all good :D

BTW it's a woodblock the other sound you weren't sure ;)

Congrats to everyone! Can't wait to play the whole thing. 

BTW MFG38 what percentage of the maps have difficulty options implemented? 

18 minutes ago, Helm said:

BTW MFG38 what percentage of the maps have difficulty options implemented? 

Not sure as to the exact percentage, but I believe the majority of the maps have difficulty settings implemented.

Should probably sit down and do difficulty settings then

@MFG38, here is a tiny update to my map 'Metallurgy', after watching @PeceMan 's play-through.

- I cleaned up the auto-map to not show areas outside of windows where the player cannot go.

- I improved the pile of rocks behind the silos in the first outdoor area so the player no longer gets stuck in between the rocks.

Download: 3x3_MetallurgyV3.rar

@PeceMan, thanks a lot for your video. It was fun to watch and very much appreciated. Compared to my previous map, I spent a lot more time on the visuals/atmosphere and much less time on the combat/gameplay, but you still seemed to have fun with it. The textures are from a texture set called "CR8". They were originally made for Quake by Speedy and converted to Doom by Mechadon (who also made the famous 'Box-o-skies' set that many people on this forum use). You can download them on Mechadon's website (http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/) under 'design'.

After Jimmy's stream last night I've fixed some of the things he's found. I've updated the OG post as well. He's the changes

Update 2021-05-02
* Added little bit more ammo throughout level
* Removed being able to press switches in final area from the ground

Skull Faced B-stards.zip

It was interesting hearing about Jimmy talking about the rocket launcher. Might have been interesting to swap the rocket launcher and plasma rifle with each other. It would be too huge a change to do to really count as bug fixes though.

Difficulties implemented for my 2 maps. 

for metal2metal the revenants are replaced with hell knights on lower than UV, and more health and ammo is placed for lower than HMP
for maudlin of the wall, enemies are selectively removed and more health is placed. I wish I could do something better for this one than just strip out enemies, but it's mostly an adventure map, the encounters can stand being just sparser without hurting the experience too much. 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/nqqtkyajy28ebnz/metal2metal-motW-dificulites.zip/file

My opinion is far from law, and dificultty is subjective. But here's my two cents on the level order

These levels are, in my opinion, easy:

Spoiler
  • A short Ascent
  • Vile Book Club
  • Powered by Grayskull
  • Keep Out!

• (The Military Base)

These levels are, in my opinion, easy-ish:

Spoiler
  • The Devil's Gut
  • Maudlin of the Wall

These levels are, in my opinion, medium:

Spoiler
  • Nukage Castle
  • Moss Cushion
  • High Class Bypass
  • Metal-Pipe-Skin

These levels are, in my opinion, kinda hard:

Spoiler
  • The Badlands
  • Metallurgy
  • Iron and Stone
  • Toxic Rumble
  • Coastal

These levels are, in my opinion, hard:

Spoiler
  • MyHouse.wad
  • Nebula Swamp
  • Sludge Terminal
  • Rocket Tears 2
  • Garden of Despair
  • 3Tek
  • Forkress of Doom

These levels are, in my opinion, really hard:

Spoiler
  • FRICKIN HECK
  • A Librarian's Nightmare
  • Skull Faced B*stards
  • Formula 666
  • Metal2Metal
  • City of Chalk and Flame

These levels are, in my opinion, absurd:

Spoiler
  • Metal2Metal
  • The Faces of Evil
  • The Broken Fortress of Insanity
  • Tightrope

I don't think I forgot any, but I may have

@PeceMan Your insight is appreciated. I feel like you'll be happy to know that I've already reserved one of the secret slots for Tightrope. I knew back when I thought up the concept for it that it wasn't gonna be everyone's cup of tea, and it'd certainly stick out like a sore thumb if it was anywhere else. :P

Also, I think I should mention in a general capacity that a tentative map list should be posted tomorrow.

Okay, so I've replayed all of the maps that made the cut, re-replayed some, shuffled them around in my mind, contemplated the flow of the final mapset, questioned my life choices and decided upon some sort of map order. And thus, I present to thee the first draft of the map list:

MAP01: "A Short Ascent" by PeceMan
MAP02: "Metal-pipe-skin" by Jacek Nowak
MAP03: "Keep Out!" by Mr. Tadpole
MAP04: "Powered by Grayskull" by Death Bear
MAP05: "Moss Cushion" by Alper002
MAP06: "The Devil's Gut" by MFG38
MAP07: "Vile Book Club" by Worriedidiot
MAP08: "Coastal" by AtticTelephone
MAP09: "Nukage Castle" by Jacek Nowak
MAP10: "Toxic Rumble" by PinkFlamingo
MAP11: "myhouse.wad" by muumi
MAP12: "Sludge Terminal" by SCF
MAP13: "A Librarian's Nightmare" by 7Soul
MAP14: "3TEK" by Dieting Hippo
MAP15: "The Badlands" by Captain Toenail
MAP16: "Forkress of Doom" by Worst
MAP17: "Nebula Swamp" by Salmon
MAP18: "Iron and Stone" by Captain Toenail
MAP19: "High Class Bypass" by PeceMan
MAP20: "Maudlin of the Wall" by Helm
MAP21: "Metallurgy" by PinkFlamingo
MAP22: "Garden of Despair" by myolden
MAP23: "Rocket Tears 2" by Death Bear
MAP24: "Metal2Metal" by Helm
MAP25: "Skull Faced B*stards" by NeilJohnRips
MAP26: "FRICKIN HECK" by reverie
MAP27: "City of Chalk and Flame" by Dac
MAP28: "Formula 666" by muumi
MAP31: "Tightrope" by MFG38
MAP32: "The Faces of Evil" by BoxY

Now this should go without saying, but I still feel the need to emphasize that this is only a first draft. Maps are still subject to being swapped around as I continue thinking about the flow, and I really do want the difficulty curve to be as smooth as possible. A select few map slots I am adamant about keeping, though, namely MAP28 and the secret levels. "Formula 666" just feels like a great closing map to the set, especially with the exit room, and "Tightrope" and "The Faces of Evil" are so different from the rest in their gameplay styles that they'd feel out-of-place as normal levels.

Of course, feedback on the mappers' part is most welcome. I'll happily hear any and all suggestions as to which maps should be swapped around.

Here's most of the ones I was missing

City of Chalk and Flame, by @dac:

Spoiler

Cool level, definitely frantic. Love the use of the Lost souls.

Forkress of Doom, by @Worst:

Spoiler

I'm honestly amazed at the ammount of content you managed to pour out, and at the fact that you only actually used 2 out of the 3 available textures.

3Tek, by @Dieting Hippo:

Spoiler

Aesthetically, this one hits one of my nerves, because of how it reminds me of Ratchet and Clank.

It's one of my favourite levels in 3x3, after formula 666.

Tightrope, by @MFG38:

Spoiler

Holy shit, after I'm hospitalized for extreme blood presure ill be suing you as the sole culprit. This level caused me actual physical pain.

It's the sort of suffering I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy (Well, he is kind of a cunt, so I wouldn't mind him having to play 3 or 4 hours of Tightrope, but you get the point).

Since I didn't record any commentary, I'll give some short feedback in written form (you know, other than, I don't want to play this level again)

• The first jump is, BY FAR, the hardest. Roughly 50% of my runs ended in less than 3 seconds. You might wanna make it a bit easier to make the level more accesible, but that's just a suggestion. If the difficulty was intentional, then by all means keep it.
  • Even though this level is pseudo "getting over it" there probably still is place for difficulty settings. At least on easy mode, you could switch some of the cyberdemons for barons.
  • Some of the floors take a bit too long to raise. I'm thinking especially of the floors that raise after the 2nd switch. Maybe you could accelerate them?
  • The elevator after the 5th switch also takes a bit too long to get back up. After enough tries, the ammount of waiting becomes annoying, but I'm honestly not sure how you'd go about fixing that

Even though I hated the experience, at first I only hated the first jump. The rest of the room isn't that bad. I even enjoyed it the first 30-40 times. I only really started hating the level after the 100th attempt. But I guess that's par for the course for platforming levels.

And, in case anyone wants it,

A short Ascent, by PeceMan:

Spoiler

Here I present my thought process while making this level.

I'm only missing "The Broken Fortress of Insanity", which I'll upload some time soon.

14 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

Holy shit, after I'm hospitalized for extreme blood presure ill be suing you as the sole culprit.

Glad you, uhh... "enjoyed". :P

18 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

The first jump is, BY FAR, the hardest. Roughly 50% of my runs ended in less than 3 seconds. You might wanna make it a bit easier to make the level more accesible, but that's just a suggestion.

That's a pretty good point. I'll definitely be making that less painful.

21 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

Even though this level is pseudo "getting over it" there probably still is place for difficulty settings. At least on easy mode, you could switch some of the cyberdemons for barons.

I initially decided against implementing difficulty settings, but now that you bring it up, it definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to make the map that much less stressful on easier difficulties.

27 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

Some of the floors take a bit too long to raise. I'm thinking especially of the floors that raise after the 2nd switch. Maybe you could accelerate them?

If there's a way to accelerate them further, I don't know about it. The floors already move at the fastest speed possible as far as I know. I'll look into it, though.

44 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

3Tek, by @Dieting Hippo:

Reveal hidden contents

Aesthetically, this one hits one of my nerves, because of how it reminds me of Ratchet and Clank.

It's one of my favourite levels in 3x3, after formula 666.

Thanks for playin' through a second time! Watching a second playthrough is neat, because you've seen the stuff the map throws at you the first time and I can see what you'd feasibly expect to ambush you again on a second play. And thanks a hell of a lot on the kind words about the design, I spent a lot of time fiddling with map geometry to give a really neat look.

On the music, that's definitely my first upload of the map since my final one has the music added. I kinda' waited until the end of this to add music in!

And I did notice you mentioned using lifts to get back up to the top level of the center/final arena haha, I was sitting here goin' "the lifts did open up!" although I didn't exactly telegraph them as lifts that are usable with buttons. Those side pillars in the center area (the ones that contain 2 Revenants) that open up on the closed-off corner room switch also become lifts that activate on use from the bottom floor, so you can use them to get back up to the top level.

Once again, thanks for playing through, and a second time too! It was super enjoyable watching this playthrough!

@PeceMan Watched a part on mute but yeah, that's about the reaction others had about the sky!

e: Should have a new version ready to go tonight. Map is prettier, but more importantly, difficulty settings are coming!

7 hours ago, MFG38 said:

MAP01: "A Short Ascent" by PeceMan
MAP02: "Metal-pipe-skin" by Jacek Nowak
MAP03: "Keep Out!" by Mr. Tadpole
MAP04: "Powered by Grayskull" by Death Bear
MAP05: "Moss Cushion" by Alper002
MAP06: "The Devil's Gut" by MFG38
MAP07: "Vile Book Club" by Worriedidiot
MAP08: "Coastal" by AtticTelephone
MAP09: "Nukage Castle" by Jacek Nowak
MAP10: "Toxic Rumble" by PinkFlamingo
MAP11: "myhouse.wad" by muumi
MAP12: "Sludge Terminal" by SCF
MAP13: "A Librarian's Nightmare" by 7Soul
MAP14: "3TEK" by Dieting Hippo
MAP15: "The Badlands" by Captain Toenail
MAP16: "Forkress of Doom" by Worst
MAP17: "Nebula Swamp" by Salmon
MAP18: "Iron and Stone" by Captain Toenail
MAP19: "High Class Bypass" by PeceMan
MAP20: "Maudlin of the Wall" by Helm
MAP21: "Metallurgy" by PinkFlamingo
MAP22: "Garden of Despair" by myolden
MAP23: "Rocket Tears 2" by Death Bear
MAP24: "Metal2Metal" by Helm
MAP25: "Skull Faced B*stards" by NeilJohnRips
MAP26: "FRICKIN HECK" by reverie
MAP27: "City of Chalk and Flame" by Dac
MAP28: "Formula 666" by muumi
MAP31: "Tightrope" by MFG38
MAP32: "The Faces of Evil" by BoxY

I personally think Metal-Pipe-Skin (Map02) and Sludge Terminal (Map12) are each respectively a bit too low on the list. It may have just been me being bad at the game, though.

I think the fact that Sludge Terminal had Pain Elementals, and that slaughtery section later on in the level, makes the level a bit harder than some of the levels down the list. And Metal-Pipe-Skin may not have been that hard, but I wouldn't put it so low on the list.

On the other hand, I would move City of Chalk and Flame (Map27) and Maudlin of the Wall (Map20) a bit lower in the level count. I mean, City of Chalk and Flame was hard, but definitely not second-to-last hard. And because of it's slower pace, I didn't really have a hard time with Maudlin of the Wall at all.

Also, I think A librarian's Nightmare (Map13) should be moved one or two spots higher, and Nebula Swamp (Map17) should be moved one or two spots lower.

I actually liked The Faces of Evil (Map32) quite a lot after I played it on Hurt Me Plenty, but after giving it some thought I don't think it would fit anywhere among the common levels. It's the hardest, but it's a bit too killing-dying slaughtery for the others, and it's definitely not a good ending to the megawad. So I have no complaints about the secret levels.

I don't really like Formula 666 (Map28) being the last level. The level is definitely worth being one of the last, since it features three boss enemy types. But since the level is theemed, and almost no other level in the pack is theemed, it kinda doesn't bring the correct type of closure, since it doesn't really represent the rest of the pack.

I agree that the end of the level is great, and it does provide some closure, but only to the same level, since the level also had a very notable introduction.

So if the ending is a ">" a symbol, the beggining is a "<" symbol. So the level doesn't actually close any other levels, it just closes itself.

I think, personally, that FRICKIN HECK (Map26) would be a great ending to the megawad. Skull Faced B*stards (Map25) and Metal2Metal (Map24) are both also good candidates for final levels.

City of Chalk and Flame v03 is live!

Download Here

This has rather significant changes so I put a changelog. tl;dr more details, difficulty settings, layout and map flow is the same, game is easier when you don't have to deal with 3453456789 lost souls...

Spoiler

* Gave the map a detail pass. Layout remains the same, but lighting is better, texturing is better, etc.
* Cleaned up the voodoo scripts. Everything should fire correctly on boom compatible ports.
* TODO: Automap cleaning. For v04.

V03 BALANCE NOTES (Dificulty settings are here!)

- Initial scramble:
  * Mancubi now spawn off the platforms instead of lost souls. There's still lost souls though, don't worry about that!
  * HMP has less lost souls coming off the start.
  * HNTR has even less lost souls, one less mancubi on ground.

- 3x3 Room
  * This room is now a bit larger than in the original, to make rocket use easier.
  * Fight is otherwise mostly the same on UV.
  * HMP has less lost souls to deal with, and one less vile in each door alcove. Also one less vile -somewhere else-.
  * HNTR has less less lost souls.

- Upper area:
  * Goodies are given upon activating the pentagram. Baddies are also given on UV.
  * One less mancubi on HMP and below.

- Red key GET!:
   * The big change is the removal of the west side closet with all the lost souls; these will now spawn from the northwest pentagram switch area. Otherwise the fight is mostly the same on UV.
   * HMP has less lost souls to deal with, and replaces one vile with a mancubus.
   * HNTR has more less lost souls, and only one mancubus guarding the exit instead of two.
   * NOTE: A bad surprise await those who block the platform teleports!

- Finale:
  * Fight is largely the same on UV. Area is a bit bigger to once again make rocketing easier.
  * HMP replaces the platform vile with a mancubus and has three less lost souls to deal with.
  * HNTR has no lost souls on the sides.