Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate Doom 1 from memory! (Community Project) (Closed)

E3M1 is done:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxibjo09iv013f9/E3M1.wad?dl=0

A pretty solid approximation IMO. E3M1 is one of those maps that I acknowledge as being far from the best of The Ultimate Doom, but still I have a soft spot for it.

I added a secret that I wasn't sure was in the original or not. I notice you added E4 as well, I would claim Hell Beneath but that's been taken already. This was a fun little exercise! 

(note: the IWAD I used was the BFG Edition one. Hopefully that doesn't cause any issues, I should imagine its fine though).

- updated to fix some errors

Edited by VisionThing

8 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

E3M1 is done:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sbb242wr1aad7z/E3M1.wad?dl=0

A pretty solid approximation IMO. E3M1 is one of those maps that I acknowledge as being far from the best of The Ultimate Doom, but still I have a soft spot for it.

I added a secret that I wasn't sure was in the original or not. I notice you added E4 as well, I would claim Hell Beneath but that's been taken already. This was a fun little exercise! 

(note: the IWAD I used was the BFG Edition one. Hopefully that doesn't cause any issues, I should imagine its fine though).

There's a few issues, yes. Idk if it's because of the BFG Edition IWAD. The second-to-last door wouldn't open, and the ceiling is too low to go through those last two doors. A couple HOM effects are present, and the well-known lowering floor platforms with the shotgun should also change texture and effect so they turn into damaging blood. (I think it's linedef action 37)

Other than these issues, this is a faithful recreation of E3M1 - and it does look nicer in some areas. :P Needs those fixes to be completable.

I ´m  almost done with E1M8.  The most difficult part for me was the star - I had to redrawn it like 5 times, because it looked like it got run over by a steamroller :D

bandicam-2021-05-03-22-34-40-932.jpg

bandicam-2021-05-03-22-34-29-451.jpg

bandicam-2021-05-03-22-34-46-275.jpg

Edited by Kloki38

13 minutes ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

There's a few issues, yes. Idk if it's because of the BFG Edition IWAD. The second-to-last door wouldn't open, and the ceiling is too low to go through those last two doors. A couple HOM effects are present, and the well-known lowering floor platforms with the shotgun should also change texture and effect so they turn into damaging blood. (I think it's linedef action 37)

Other than these issues, this is a faithful recreation of E3M1 - and it does look nicer in some areas. :P Needs those fixes to be completable.

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't actually know how to change the textures on the lowering platforms but I've now done that! I'd also put the wrong line actions on those 2 small doors near the end, also now fixed.

Could you show me where the HOMs are? I'm not seeing any on my end. I also had no issues being able to get through the last doors, (sector height 64, door raises to 56 then if I'm correct) so that is a weird one for sure. Lmao I can never get these things right first time....

Map: Confinement Area (Surely our mapnames should be misremembered too?)

DL: CA.zip

Difficulty: All implemented.

Multiplayer: COOP starts and balancing. Deathmatch starts included.

Screens:

Spoiler

DOOM0005.png.0ecf02db2a302415d5d6f1b6078e8fad.pngDOOM0003.png.093a4369299511bf35f4ed74d0ac7dbf.pngDOOM0007.png.298409ed966d73c4d964c97d933d1cd7.pngDOOM0006.png.a5a2fc5028926a9faec09728e37ff230.png

Things I remembered correctly/incorrectly. (Might spoil those making maps though I don't reference anything map in particular)

Spoiler

Correct:

Crates, good got that one at least.

Berserk - remembered that too!

Chaingun - Surrounded by nukage, got it!

Central marble area remembered!

Room with pillars - somewhat remembered!

No hitscanners - good thing I caught that one, almost put them in!

Crusher hallway, yeah!

Flashing radioactive strips!

Walkover squares to get a key!

Incorrect/forgotten:

Got the texturing completely wrong, couldn't remember what it looked like!

Not enough secrets, whoops...

Didn't put any barrels in, what's wrong with me?

Tech area is underdeveloped, could barely remember it - forgot the big machines!

Plasmagun secret completely forgotten.

Got the key progression wrong - oh well, now it plays completely open.

Exit door is not three keys.

Conclusion: Thought I knew the map, turns out I didn't!

17 minutes ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

will all these be compiled into a single "IWad"? 
It would be pretty cool to play all of these once they are complete.

PWad, releasing it as an IWAD would be illegal.

32 minutes ago, Cheesewheel said:

Map: Confinement Area (Surely our mapnames should be misremembered too?)

That would be interesting to do, but I myself remember next to none of the names

Edited by Engired

Ok. Here it is:

E1M8: Hobo's anomaly 

anomaly.rar

Format: Doom (Doom format)

Difficulty: All skills - The only thing I recall changing are the spectres in the final room.

Multiplayer: Coop, DM starts + some extra stuff for balancing

Edited by Kloki38 : added a misremembered name

Here's my attempt at recreating E3M8 from memory, which I've nicknamed "Dis Nuts". From start to finish, it took me approximately an hour and a bit (15 mins?).

Download

A good chunk of that time was spent messing around with the central area's design, and trying to remember what the textures were like. Turns out I was completely wrong for the most part, but that's the fun of this community project!

-- MAP INFO --

y7jTRxN.png

Map Name: Dis Nuts
Format: Vanilla Doom
Tested in: dsda-doom, Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, GZDoom
Compatability: Doom v1.9 (-complevel 2)

Replaces E3M8, obviously.
Supports all three difficulties and singleplayer/co-op/deathmatch.

7 minutes ago, Engired said:

A reminder for anybody who wants to do a second map, you can.

Can I have E2M4 then too ? I would like to try something more challenging. 

11 minutes ago, Engired said:

A reminder for anybody who wants to do a second map, you can.

Then sign me up for E4M6. I want to (try to) recreate a level that isn't dead simple to make.

May I trade e4m1 with e2m5? I havent played thy flesh consumed in a while.

I wanted to claim one of maps, but changed my mind shortly.But idea is pretty neat, good luck everyone! 

Edited by Chainie

Never mind. I want to work on other things but I'm excited to see what everyone else can do. Good luck!!

Edited by Wavy : Changed my mind

E2M9 is a very simple level itself, and as such easy to remember. So I decided to touch it up a bit, both in combat and visuals. Do not worry, it's still the same layout - a room with barons, a room with cacodemons, and the key room.

There's little room health- and ammo-wise, requiring you to use the infighting mechanic E2M9 advertises. There are difficulty settings if you don't want to, and some multiplayer stuff is there, too. And at the very end of the map, there is a soulsphere and plenty of ammo for continuous players.  ;)

Map slot is E2M9 (IDCLEV29 cheat)

If you want a custom title for the map...well... how about "Mortress of Fistery"? LOL

Tested in: 

Crispy Doom v5.10.1

GLBoom+ (dsda-doom v0.18) -complevel 3

GZDoom v4.5

I appreciate any plays and feedback!

E2M9 recreation.zip

6 hours ago, Redoom said:

May I trade e4m1 with e2m5? I havent played thy flesh consumed in a while.

That completes the original doom then!

I'm a really noob doing maps, I already finished E1M1 as I remember it, but my WAD lacks functional doors, switches and stuff like fixing some misplaced textures.
Any help or tutorial to finish it?

As a personal review of my own creation, expect D!Zone quality of E1M1. Also, it runs very well on Chocolate Doom so it should be 100% vanilla.

12 minutes ago, TotalTS said:

I'm a really noob doing maps, I already finished E1M1 as I remember it, but my WAD lacks functional doors, switches and stuff like fixing some misplaced textures.

As a personal review of my own creation, expect D!Zone quality of E1M1. Also, it runs very well on Chocolate Doom so it should be 100% vanilla.

If you select the sector you want to turn into a door and do shift+D on it Doom Builder will generate a door for you.

For switches, you select the line action you want and give the switch linedef and sector that you want it to affect the same tag.

24 minutes ago, TotalTS said:

My creation also might as well be D!Zone quality so far, it is really hard to make it similar...

1 minute ago, egap98 said:

E3M8 please!

E3M8 is unfortunately taken. E4M8 isn't.

Just now, Engired said:

E3M8 is unfortunately taken. E4M8 isn't.

UHHH YES PLEASE? I'LL TAKE THAT.

Alright, here's mine. Limbo (E3M7).

Download: E3M7.zip

Rushed the end a bit, but I think it should be alright. No difficulty settings or deathmatch things, but it'll be good for now. Tell me if something doesn't work, (I honestly wouldn't be surprised).

e3m5ish.png.e9e723fdd499acbb9c8b6ad16d96f3c6.png

things I could remember about E3M5:

- the wall glyphs

- the lack of armour

- the high number of secrets

- the layout, kinda

things I couldn't remember about E3M5:

- the progression
- the gameplay

- the lighting, decoration, texture choices etc

title: Unholy Crocodile

author: Zan-zan-zawa-veia (me)