Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

I have some ideas for this map/room, but which one is better/simple?

I think I want this to be a boss room, but I'm conflicted on what I want to do with the pillars. Option 1 is to put switches on them in places you wouldn't see when on the teleporter. Option 2 is to make use of the blood wall texture (as pictured below) to signify that you can walk into the pillars and retrieve items or activate a switch. Option 3 is to make them work like enemy closets and the bosses walk out when they detect you. Option 4 is that a switch on the exterior of the pillar lowers it to reveal a smaller pillar inside with a switch that does something, while also providing health/ammo hidden on top of the outer layer of the pillar.

I'm leaning towards Option 2 because it feels the most creative, and players would be able to retrieve extra health/items or maybe activate something in the map to speed up the boss fight. An idea that may work for Option 2 or Option 4 is that each pillar has a switch that turns off part of a teleporter platform to stop extra enemies from flooding the room. 

Spoiler

2021_05.04-16_08.png.fc4288387ee904d1f5f6e5f81c040a91.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210504_160948.png.c7c1e97fbb6d91e590f2b4888c7753b8.png

I'd say don't go with the first or third one, it's bad to be so cryptic with switches and stuff, and being surprised by a boss you can't see it's not very fun either

I like how the fourth one sounds tho, just make the switches clear and easily distinguishable

For that, I recommend lowering the lighting the the room and make the switch sectors brighter

10 minutes ago, RemoveUwU said:

I'd say don't go with the first or third one, it's bad to be so cryptic with switches and stuff, and being surprised by a boss you can't see it's not very fun either

I like how the fourth one sounds tho, just make the switches clear and easily distinguishable

For that, I recommend lowering the lighting the the room and make the switch sectors brighter

I could use  the SW1MARB texture  for the switches, since they almost fit with the design of the pillars. Though, there's no switch texture similar with the bloodstains at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I could use  the SW1MARB texture  for the switches, since they almost fit with the design of the pillars. Though, there's no switch texture similar with the bloodstains at the bottom.

Wait, let me make an example map for you

32 minutes ago, RemoveUwU said:

test.rar

Here

Make sure to make tons of noise

Also the size might be too big, but the idea is the same

The pillars I have are about 128px all around, what would I need to do first to make them work like yours did?

Nothing really, it works with your size too, just choose the side you like best, if possible just flatten the wall on that side to add

the switch. If anything, I'd say an important part are those small ledges I put, they're mostly decorations but I use them because I don't really like the Change texture function, also those ledges work better because it covers the fact that there's no Marble Switch with blood

If anything just copy everything for parts and resize it

12 minutes ago, RemoveUwU said:

Nothing really, it works with your size too, just choose the side you like best, if possible just flatten the wall on that side to add

the switch. If anything, I'd say an important part are those small ledges I put, they're mostly decorations but I use them because I don't really like the Change texture function, also those ledges work better because it covers the fact that there's no Marble Switch with blood

If anything just copy everything for parts and resize it

How do you flatten the wall for the switch?

imagen.png.d45cce92525b518b7ec9cba7b3695d0a.pngimagen.png.1c87576767d3852119615ed74fff62db.png

Just move vertices until it's a plain surface, or you can just put a switch on one of the sides, not a problem!

2 minutes ago, RemoveUwU said:

imagen.png.d45cce92525b518b7ec9cba7b3695d0a.pngimagen.png.1c87576767d3852119615ed74fff62db.png

Just move vertices until it's a plain surface, or you can just put a switch on one of the sides, not a problem!

So, the other option is basically this, right?

Spoiler

2021_05.04-19_29.png.ab87dfc6fafb4c6534d050019a527bcd.png

44 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

So, the other option is basically this, right?

Hide contents

2021_05.04-19_29.png.ab87dfc6fafb4c6534d050019a527bcd.png

Yeah, like that, just add the outside rings I made for a consistant look with the blood

13 minutes ago, RemoveUwU said:

Yeah, like that, just add the outside rings I made for a consistant look with the blood

Which outside rings are you referring to?

Edit: These? 

Spoiler

2021_05.04-20_28.png.fb91bd782a8f94b57aa4fabe1dce8e9d.png

Edited by DavetheDoomguy

1 hour ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Edit: These? 

Hide contents

2021_05.04-20_28.png.fb91bd782a8f94b57aa4fabe1dce8e9d.png

Yeah, that way you don't have to worry about texturing

1 minute ago, RemoveUwU said:

Yeah, that way you don't have to worry about texturing

Do you think that since the switches will factor into completing the room, that I should put items around or nearby to lead the player to them?

Not really, if you highlight them good enough, the player will automatically see them, but if you want, you can give the player some useful resource like ammo or armor if your switch actives some kind of trap or something

Just now, RemoveUwU said:

Not really, if you highlight them good enough, the player will automatically see them, but if you want, you can give the player some useful resource like ammo or armor if your switch actives some kind of trap or something

The current plan is to have the switches deactivate the teleporter platform for the demons (if that's possible), though I could change it so that they could open up the exit if the player is fast enough. And I do intend for the blood pool in the room to be a hurt floor, so having healthpacks scattered around would probably be necessary.

10 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

The current plan is to have the switches deactivate the teleporter platform for the demons (if that's possible), though I could change it so that they could open up the exit if the player is fast enough. And I do intend for the blood pool in the room to be a hurt floor, so having healthpacks scattered around would probably be necessary.

Aight, do you know how to use dummy sectors? That way you can make the monster tp deactive after hitting all the switches, but make sure you have something planned to get 100% kills, like a crusher that's activated after leaving the arena
I'd recommend two or three radiation suits if it's gonna be a hurting floor, filling the rest with healthpacks, that way it's more of a challenge to manage the time before the suit run out correctly, instead of a nuisance

5 hours ago, RemoveUwU said:

Aight, do you know how to use dummy sectors? That way you can make the monster tp deactive after hitting all the switches, but make sure you have something planned to get 100% kills, like a crusher that's activated after leaving the arena
I'd recommend two or three radiation suits if it's gonna be a hurting floor, filling the rest with healthpacks, that way it's more of a challenge to manage the time before the suit run out correctly, instead of a nuisance

I don't know a lot about dummy sectors, but I can figure out how to use them with a little guidance. How would I make the pillar walls come down to show the shutoff switch?

8 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I don't know a lot about dummy sectors, but I can figure out how to use them with a little guidance. How would I make the pillar walls come down to show the shutoff switch?

Sorry for responding too late.

Just do everything the same, except you change the function of the inner switch

I'm assuming here that the teleporter is in the same height as the monster closet. I'm not really versed about this, but I think the maximum height a monster can climb is 16px, so you make this form:

imagen.png.ccd1a69ce8aa947e08bdc7ac8a007f5b.png

Which in 3D would look like this:

imagen.png.44820f3482370363722dabe9501e4516.png

Three levels.

Then, you make three of these pillars with inner switches, and give each one the same tag (Same as the entire tp sector), and set them to the function #18, S1 Floor raise to next higher floor.

It doesn't matter how large is the tp sector, as long as three inmediate sectors are set like this, one at 8px higher, one at 16px and the last one at 24px

This way, the monsters will stop being able to reach the tp linedef once the player actives the three switches

Just a quick note even though I know this is WIP but it's worth saying - I would a bunch of height and texture variations to the ceiling, it's quite under detailed at the moment.

2 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

Just a quick note even though I know this is WIP but it's worth saying - I would a bunch of height and texture variations to the ceiling, it's quite under detailed at the moment.

I did add this last night, even if it's not much. Kinda want it to be like a signature for anything I've made.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210506_004950.png.251a1a6d7fca1ce66e2f170325ef17db.png2021_05.06-00_49.png.b3037307ff2e18ee8537efa7aea1eca2.png

Nice, that's cool. You could possibly even add a border and then change the ceiling texture if need be? I think it still needs a bit more detailing. 64u borders around the columns with a diff texture maybe? Lighting variation would help too.

1 minute ago, xvertigox said:

Nice, that's cool. You could possibly even add a border and then change the ceiling texture if need be? I think it still needs a bit more detailing. 64u borders around the columns with a diff texture maybe? Lighting variation would help too.

64u borders? Do you mean 64 units? I could probably do borders like that if that's the case, it's a bit simpler to do than most of the behind-the-scenes technical stuff. 

I have been thinking about repurposing this map and making it a reimagined version of E1M9, but with some of the same concepts. The barons would already be in the map, but the pinkies teleport in. I'd have to rethink and add other parts of the map, though. The current design sort-of looks like the pommel of a sword, maybe could design the rest around that.