Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cosmian

Slime Control: My First Map!

This my first actual attempt at doom mapping. I think it turned out pretty good, feedback would be appreciated.

Map info:

- Port's tested: PrBoom+

- IWAD: DOOM II

- Number of maps: 1

- Custom textures: no

- Custom music: no

It is a fairly easy and short map. I know a lot "My First Map"s get posted on these forums.

slime_control.zip

EDIT: I am sorry I cannot provide screenshots

15 minutes ago, thelazyqdude said:

...why can't you provide screenshots? They provide a lot of interest.

I don't have a service to host them on.

6 minutes ago, minebolt said:

I don't have a service to host them on.

You can't sign up for a free image hosting service? It doesn't even take five minutes, try Imgur.

You can just upload the screenshots directly into the forum post. It's what I see most people do, unless they're dumping a bunch of really big ones.

Here's a couple anyway:

Spoiler

doom00.png.8bc286b5645265396dffc48681130523.pngdoom01.png.b58af6befa7f897484622cda26e6fdaf.png

I played on UV.
Map definitely is nowhere near bad, but it's very basic and easy. Mostly hitscanners. The pillars in the first room don't really serve much of a purpose, trapping them with some monsters inside and lowering down to reveal them when you lower the yellow keycard might be a quick and easy way to make them feel less like "Thing That Exists To Take Up Space But Doesn't Really Because The Room Is Already Spacious And Also Is Just Kind Of Whatever As Decoration." The blue keycard room is also pretty basic but it's not a bad archetype for a room, in my opinion, at least. This might also benefit from barrel placement somehow, it feels like it has the ambition to be one of those E1-ish maps that have fun "pop the barrel -> see zombiemen/imps die" moments.

You might want to include that this needs to be played on -complevel 9, I did my first play on -cl 2 and the yellow keycard switch wouldn't activate.

Here's my FDA and then a full run: maribo_slime_demos.zip

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be sure to take this into account for my next map!

I watched both of your demos. Was the chainsaw secret too hard to find?

I don't think the chainsaw secret was too hard to find, I think I just tunneled on the wall and didn't consider the pool. I noticed it seemed a bit different when hitting Use on it didn't make a grunt, but I didn't think to check the floor under it in the pool til later. I also saw the pink sector in my PrBoom+ map and that attributed to my tunnel vision, lol.

TY for the screenshots maribo.

5/10 map. 7.5/10 would be the iwads. The map's areas felt bland and simple, with little opposition and low attention to the details or layout; nothing really stood out to me and it all blended together. 

Don't take the criticism badly though; everyone has to start somewhere and you could have done MUCH, MUCH, MUCH worse for a first map. Congrats.

This map is okay for your first map, only a few things I'd say is the level seems very barren and empty in certain sections, The enemy curve is no issue since the chain gun and shotgun are easily obtainable to deal with the cacodemons and Pinkies. Overall the map isn't very hard and is a good start for a beginning mapper. I'd rate this wad a 5/10.

-1 for the emptiness

-2 lack of enemy variety and interesting level design

-2 difficulty curve is non-existent 

Now i will say i was delighted to see you marked your key doors lol, most first wads don't do that, also the key puzzles were pretty easy and not alot of time was wasted looking for something through a random maze of corridors.

I would suggest to improve it, possibly add tougher enemies, decorate your levels up to be more memorable, make the difficulty ramp up (as in by the end of the level you should not be having as easy of a time as the beginning)

overall it's a good 5/10, pretty decent, could be improved

I'm also new to mapping as well, i played it and here's my thought on your first wad.

1. Some of the textures were misaligned kinda bugged me (don't worry about it i did the same thing with my first wad).

2. What i've learned was for doors, you need door tracks. I got yelled at for that.

3. I like the layout but it could use more monsters and traps. Like when you grab the blue key, run back out to the main hub room and there's pinky's imp's and Cacos. but after that nothing.

4. i was kinda let down when i killed the hell knight and exit the level. I say you should put more stronger monsters in the exit area. Make the player fight there way out to the exit.

5. try to make your next map more close quarter combat and make it more like "dungeon crawler" type. 

6. Overall i give you a 5 out of 10. i liked it i understand your new to mapping (so am i) but if you want idea for your next map try mine out. 

It's a remake of my first wad i've made and trust me this one is alot better then the one i first made. I will warn you it's a bit on the harder side, but if you like pain try it on UV. Should let you know it works on LZDoom and it;s for DooM 2 MAP01. Hope my map give you an idea for your next map. 

Undergroud Toxicity remake.wad.zip

Not too shabby for a newbie. It's not entirely plagued by the usual pitfalls newbie mappers tend to stumble in, which is a plus. What's available is simple, but you've got the mechanics nailed down well, now you just need to make them a lot more interesting as the progression works but is rather bare bones. Combat is bog-standard, but not boring. There's a surprising lack of health, which is actually a plus! No seriously, lots of newbies tend to go really overboard with their pick-ups and throw 'em everywhere, whereas you took a much more restricted and measured approach, so that's cool! Honestly, my biggest complaint is the map is rather boring to look at. The texture work is pretty bland and the layout, while not entirely square, is still pretty square in a lot of areas so don't be afraid to play with irregular shapes and such! Check out this awesome video by my friend, Doomkid on how you can avoid typical pitfalls and get the most out of your mapping.

Well, I think that everything about this map was already told so I won't say anything new. It's a very basic and pleasant first creation. Some newbie mistakes like weird textures in places or misalignments here and there, but it's ok overall. I had no problems when testing this map using GZDoom.

Edited by Voxelvoid

Thank you for all the feedback! I'm going to start work on my next map today.

Should I use Eureka or Slade? BTW I'm on Linux.

Hi!

I'm new here and I took your map for a spin. As folks have already said, the flow and logic are great and this would make an ideal first level of a wad. The only negative was the environment's plainness.

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of changing a few things that might help give you ideas. The overall map, enemy placements and switch/key logic is exactly the same, all I wanted to do was show you some different techniques you can use to spice up areas and make them more interesting to be in. These are things that I do to make the spaces more interesting and to differentiate important areas from each other.

slime_control.7z

I recorded a quick playthrough for you.

Edited by Lazlo Panaflex : Added playthrough video

Hey, it's your map. All I did really was change some textures, add some nubbins around doorways, and change elevations in each room. 

I'm sick and played really really badly

Well that's my excuse anyway

Enjoy!