Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

PrBoom+ 2.6.66 (Jun 20, 2023)

I understand it would be rather extensive to implement but I think it'd be really nice to allow ExMy map markers in Doom 2 via UMAPINFO (and vice versa I guess?). I really like the episode format and it's a shame the extended Doom 2 bestiary can't take advantage of it.

33 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

I understand it would be rather extensive to implement but I think it'd be really nice to allow ExMy map markers in Doom 2 via UMAPINFO (and vice versa I guess?). I really like the episode format and it's a shame the extended Doom 2 bestiary can't take advantage of it.

You can define episodes in UMAPINFO, even in Doom 2. So this is already implemented.

1 hour ago, JadingTsunami said:

You can define episodes in UMAPINFO, even in Doom 2. So this is already implemented.

Yeah but the automap always has the MAPxx tag on it so you can't really label your maps E1M1 or whatever without the redundant tag.

34 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Yeah but the automap always has the MAPxx tag on it so you can't really label your maps E1M1 or whatever without the redundant tag.

You can name your maps anything (via DeHackEd); the MAPxx tag is not forced in the automap. For instance FreeDoom uses "CxMy" as the format.

3 minutes ago, JadingTsunami said:

You can name your maps anything; the MAPxx tag is not forced in the automap. For instance FreeDoom uses "CxMy" as the format.

Are you sure about that? When I tested this it puts the MAPxx: tag in front of it since that's the name of the map marker. To be clear, I'm speaking about the UMAPINFO lump, not DEHACKED text patches. DEHACKED can only address up to MAP32.

Just now, maxmanium said:

Are you sure about that? When I tested this it puts the MAPxx: tag in front of it since that's the name of the map marker. To be clear, I'm speaking about the UMAPINFO lump, not DEHACKED text patches. DEHACKED can only address up to MAP32.

Right, DeHackEd only. Ok, so you really would like a new flag in UMAPINFO to not prepend the map name to the level name.

It seems like a reasonable feature request to me. Feel free to submit it to the source repository for more discussion.

14 minutes ago, JadingTsunami said:

Right, DeHackEd only. Ok, so you really would like a new flag in UMAPINFO to not prepend the map name to the level name.

It seems like a reasonable feature request to me. Feel free to submit it to the source repository for more discussion.

Done.

Unrelated question: is the "current prboom" complevel (17) a "rolling" complevel? Like, does it change as the engine gets updated until a new significant version is officially released? Or is it already a fixed complevel like all the others? The reason I ask is that I never see anyone use a "modern" complevel and 17 seems like it'd be the most appropriate for the time being.

10 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Done.

Unrelated question: is the "current prboom" complevel (17) a "rolling" complevel? Like, does it change as the engine gets updated until a new significant version is officially released? Or is it already a fixed complevel like all the others? The reason I ask is that I never see anyone use a "modern" complevel and 17 seems like it'd be the most appropriate for the time being.

I'm not sure about 17, I think it should correspond to a fixed version of PrBoom+ but the documentation just describes it as "current PrBoom" which could be interpreted either way. For the "current" behavior you should use "-complevel -1".

15 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

There have been conscious efforts to avoid changes that break complevels or would introduce a new complevel.

It is an open question that will need an answer, as there are known bugs that we can't fix right now because it would require a new complevel.

There are a few proposals. The one I like the most would move compatibility flags into the WAD and let the map author decide. Already I feel it is too confusing for players to manage complevels.

7 hours ago, HackNeyed said:

While playing around with Woof (really digging it!) I noticed the Ouch Face was fixed as well as the SSG flash animation and since the transparency settings have been decoupled from the complevels in PrBoom-Plus anyway I think it makes sense to do the same for the Ouch Face. There is already a compat menu option for using 'buggy Ouch Face code' that could be used to toggle this if people don't like it. But seeing as every other port I use (Crispy, Woof, Eternity, GZDoom, Unity!) seems to have a working Ouch Face and a fixed SSG flash it feels like PrBoom-Plus is missing out a bit.

Reasonable request! Could you please file an issue at the Github tracker? It is impossible for me to remember all these requests in all these threads for all these source ports. ;)

Forgive me if someone's already mentioned this, but I'm getting significantly lower framerates with the current builds than with the old stable releases. I used to think this was because @Never_Again's builds are debug builds, but he said that's not the case anymore, so I'm wondering what the deal is. For reference, I seem to get 80-85 fps in 8-bit software mode, 1920x1080, on stock IWAD maps on 2.5.1.4, but 50-58? on the latest builds here. It's really only bothered me that it goes below 60 at all as it's definitely visible.

32 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

I seem to get 80-85 fps in 8-bit software mode, 1920x1080, on stock IWAD maps on 2.5.1.4, but 50-58? on the latest builds here. It's really only bothered me that it goes below 60 at all as it's definitely visible.

And this issue is specifically only in the software rendering modes?

18 minutes ago, JadingTsunami said:

And this issue is specifically only in the software rendering modes?

Yeah, OpenGL is a stable 280-300 fps in both versions.

Could you try to enable exclusive fullscreen in the config file? One of the major changes since 2.5.1.4 is the scaling of the game content to screen size instead of changing screen size to match the game content. 

9 hours ago, fabian said:

Could you try to enable exclusive fullscreen in the config file? One of the major changes since 2.5.1.4 is the scaling of the game content to screen size instead of changing screen size to match the game content. 

Hmm, that does seem to improve it to 60-70.

What about the general codepointers for creating new projectiles and attacks in DEHEXTRA? I think they're implemented in DSDA-Doom (MBF21), so are we just waiting for the final implementation to be finished? Just curious.

Those are still a work in progress at the moment (along with MBF21 in general) -- we'll announce when they're good for general consumption.

Hi, can someone help me how to use command line? I want to pistol start every map, where to apply the parameter.

Edit: Nevermind, finaly got it working through .bat file

Edited by MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai

8 hours ago, maxmanium said:

Is there any particular reason why widescreen status bars don't work in software mode?

Which version are you using? they were added about 2 weeks ago.

2 hours ago, UnluckySpade7 said:

Which version are you using? they were added about 2 weeks ago.

The latest build posted here, as far as I'm aware... says April 13.

I don't know if this has been brought up before but I've been noticing some weird weapon sound issues in the latest release on the git and the latest build posted here. One example is when shooting a zombieman with a pistol, the last shot is often "muted" or cut off by the zombieman death sound.

ive seen some treads about this while also reading the pages on the doom wiki but i still dont understand what umapinfo does

to my knowledge it lets you customize maps way more then is possibe having the ability to set stuff like a deadsimple clone on whatever map you want right? can someone explain map what exactely it does because i still have no idea

1 hour ago, omalefico32x said:

ive seen some treads about this while also reading the pages on the doom wiki but i still dont understand what umapinfo does

to my knowledge it lets you customize maps way more then is possibe having the ability to set stuff like a deadsimple clone on whatever map you want right? can someone explain map what exactely it does because i still have no idea

easily, it let you customize things that weren't customizable on vanilla limit removing and boom.

For example, if you played vanilla doom 2, you know you are restricted to only 3 different skies. Well with mapinfo you can have a different sky for every map you have.

Another good thing is it let you freely use the boss actions as you already said, but thats apply to the actions of the bosses of UDoom also, so you can have a fight with a cyberdemon and then doors open somewhere.

It also let you have secret maps wherever you want, contrary to vanilla to boom that you were restricted to have secret exits only on e1m3, e2m5, e3m6, e4m2 and map15 and map31.

Also, mapinfo is easily codeable and its not subject to limitation like vanilla dehacked that had a set number of character usable to write the intermission screens.

Simply put, it adds customization outside of the box.

For example, with MBF transfer lines you could have maps with different skies, but you needed to apply the proper linedef while making the map, with mapinfo is as easy as to write it.

It offer a good set of quality of life improvement to customization easily understandable to newcomer and veterans alike.

And for certain, escaping at last from the confines of the vanilla limitation of having just 2 secret maps for doom 2/final doom, make the mapinfo very useful.

So guys, I have an issue which idk if it has been already tracked or not: if set Boom with complevel2, sometimes when I lower/raise the SSG weapon on Doom 2, I can see weird linear artefacts on screen over the weapon. While instead this doesn't happen with complevel9... Is it a new bug or something old or odd? What's happening?

EDIT: Happen with all Complevels.

Edited by Valboom

Relatively minor issue: Does anyone know how to show the map number (i.e MAP08) when you open the automap? Right now when I do it I only see the map name. I've dug through the settings a few times over and I still can't find any option to enable map numbers.

33 minutes ago, Valboom said:

So guys, I have an issue which idk if it has been already tracked or not: if set Boom with complevel2, sometimes when I lower/raise the SSG weapon on Doom 2, I can see weird linear artefacts on screen over the weapon. While instead this doesn't happen with complevel9... Is it a new bug or something old or odd? What's happening?

I'm not able to reproduce this behavior in the latest build across various rendering options.

If you are able to reliably reproduce the issue, can you post an issue on GitHub along with your config and a screenshot or video capture of the issue happening? This will help debug.

1 minute ago, BunnyWithBeans said:

Relatively minor issue: Does anyone know how to show the map number (i.e MAP08) when you open the automap? Right now when I do it I only see the map name. I've dug through the settings a few times over and I still can't find any option to enable map numbers.

Typing "idclev" will show the current and next map.