Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

son of a bitch

well i am doing server work and i decided to get rid of all the SCSI bullshit because it and linux were not geting along. then i go to add a new CPU, son of a bitch i hate sockets. I like the pentium 2 & 3 slot style better. Not only are these socket bitches kind of hard to keep cool but they can also be a bitch to remove and install. to make things worse i bent a pin on the newer CPU. i hope i can get it stright with out a break. It was a AMD K6 and i got it for $5 so if it breaks i can just find another.

It was a AMD K6 and i got it for $5 so if it breaks i can just find another.

I feel like...old. Once upon a time that thing costed a lot.

yeah, i got a POS 266 cyrix hanging around me, the only good thing about it is it doesn't overheat and crash.
too bad i can't run linux on it because of the mouse not appearing during the installation, samething with a hdd partition problem, but oh well.

i bent a pin on the newer CPU. i hope i can get it stright with out a break.

needle nose plyers work, even for really bad bends

I bent a pin before. Two, actually. I just stuck the thing on anyways and it worked fine.

well i am doing server work and i decided to get rid of all the SCSI bullshit because it and linux were not geting along.

You know that you have to disable the "support for drives over 1GB" setting in the SCSI bios to set the drive up for linux, do you? Plus you would have to perform a low-level format after changing this setting (I think). Under Dos and Windows this setting is necessary to get access to the GBytes over the first 1GB, but under linux, this setting gives you troubles. What about asking fraggle?

SCSI is great!!! Hard drive failure is much rarer than in the IDE world. Maybe nowadays IDE drives may get nearly the same performance than SCSI-2, but if you would have seen a high end SCSI system... OK, setting up such a system with $150 cables is horror. Even Apple has discontinued SCSI in their new machines (but of course the first thing I have done after buying my new Mac was plugging a nice Adaptec board in :)

Hey, people, how much, do you think, would a cheapest computer cost? Say, I want to buy any computer, even Atari 100 will do. But Atari 100 costs about 200$ :). So what is the lowest price I can buy a computer (preferably with a modem) for, and what kind of computer it will be?

SCSI and IDE is the same hardware :)
Only the interfaces are different...

... but how come that SCSI drives seems to last so much longer than IDE drives? Maybe manufactures choose selected quality mechmanisms for SCSI drives (which are also much more expensive)?

SCSI drives are also a lot faster in the hardware as well as just the interface.

Hey, people, how much, do you think, would a cheapest computer cost? Say, I want to buy any computer, even Atari 100 will do. But Atari 100 costs about 200$ :). So what is the lowest price I can buy a computer (preferably with a modem) for, and what kind of computer it will be?

On ebay you can get older computers for (nearly) free. Older comps often will be given away for free (ask at any firm if they would "support you" or look at your local city dump (really :)

I have heard that some people use to surf the net using such ancient Commodore C64 under "GEOS" (with a mysterious accelerator called "SuperCPU". That accelerator speeds up the C64 from 1 MHz to 20 MHz (Duuuh :)