Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2021 Mentionation Thread

Oh, and I'd like you guys to not forget @TheLesha's work on D32x: Delta. Without him, the project wouldn't have gotten as far as it did.

Man, it's only April and it feels like we have the entire Cacowards top ten. The list of runner-ups is going to be really long and close.

Of the six (at least) MIDI packs we have gotten or will get this year, it'd be interesting to see who gets the Dootaward. Instead of self-promoting on a project that's incomplete anyway, I'm going to suggest the one that started this blitz in the first place: +1 Master Levels 25th Anniversary MIDI Pack

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

PS: As a side:

@OpenRift, not just for Twango or his Twangotex pack (I hope it sees usage!) but also (But this isn't nomination worthy i know, i just want it recorded for posterity) for holding a particularly niche interest within Doom: That of executable hacks, Doom95 and the like. Its inspiring having someone ask those silly-coot questions that cover the more unknown parts of Doom.

Awwwwww, thank you! That really does mean a lot to me.

I think I probably should make TWANGOTEX an actual thing, that was originally just a provision of the TWANGO logo in texture form with various sizes. As for the other textures in TWANGO1.WAD, you can thank @Gokuma for those. Not to mention he and @Doomkid were a big help with this project and was the main reason it didn't turn out like dogshit, lol.

56 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

Of the six (at least) MIDI packs we have gotten or will get this year, it'd be interesting to see who gets the Dootaward.

In addition to those MIDI packs, there's been some great tracks in WADs themselves, like Heartland and Arrival for example. There's going to be A LOT of music up for this award.

It is insane how many MIDI packs we're getting this year. I can't recall something like that happening too often before, other than for Plutonia. 

27 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Awwwwww, thank you! That really does mean a lot to me.

I think I probably should make TWANGOTEX an actual thing, that was originally just a provision of the TWANGO logo in texture form with various sizes. As for the other textures in TWANGO1.WAD, you can thank @Gokuma for those. Not to mention he and @Doomkid were a big help with this project and was the main reason it didn't turn out like dogshit, lol.

I have it listed in the Texture pack page on the Wiki. I hope it can become a good asset to include in new DM flavored wads :)

Thanks, but I can't take credit for all the textures.   Many I'm unsure of so I just credit whose map they came with.   Here's some texture credits I came up with regarding what's in Twango1.wad.

Neil and/or Chase1 - MidRails

Dexiaz and/or Mechadon - TekLong

Captain Toenail - CT_*, N_STNE*, nttkgn02, NF* flats

Mr. Rocket - Wood6M, Wood7M, Wood8M

DCG Retrowave - GrBrick1, BluRock, GreenRck, MarbleP*. Marbvrd* RR, MidBars2, Supp316, Floor6_3, RRock21&22

Rebel Vodka - Deth* and Dth*, RblPnt, SlvBr*, Vodka
Deth_1 and Deth_2 seem unused, probably intended instead of sp_dude*

BigDickBzzrak - BigDorBz

BlazingDust - part of CompSlay

Redead-ITA - funky Twango logo used in CompRded

SLON - big wooden door colored black by Gokuma for BigDrSN*

Solmyr - DoorSlmr

XLightningStormL - VCR part of Comp textures

Xaser - top & bottom of Crates64 based on Gokuma's

Gifty - GftyTrl*

Barubary? - GrassGZ4

Mike Spenard - Web, Web2 (not used since his map01 edit for Dwango 22nd Anniv didn't make it in)

? - Pogman, Wfall*, LavFall replacing DBrain*, Sky1,2,3,

@Doomkid might be to credit for Wfall or LavFall.

? (seems unused) - FLR1_3_

Whoever made Lite5R (maybe Mike Tawney or Ikka Kiranen)

Gokuma (feel free to cut this down to "a lot of textures" or something like that) -
BigDor2O, Door*2 colored skulls, Various black wood/panel/brick/bronze textures,
Lots of Comp textures, GlassBOH*, DoorSupr, Sky3Blu, Sky3Red,
RedGrsWl, StarRed*, SupportM, T_* with Alpha numbers&letters,
ChekFlat, Floor41D, Floor72S, Gate2Blu, GateBlak, GateGold, Grass1*, Rooftile, Tech*, TLite*

Edited by Gokuma

can i nominate this thread itself? really great way to learn about new exciting things.

11 hours ago, ketmar said:

can i nominate this thread itself? really great way to learn about new exciting things.

I'm surprised no one's done that yet in the history of the Cacowards.

9 hours ago, Master O said:

I'm surprised no one's done that yet in the history of the Cacowards.

It's great if the thread outgrew its original purpose and people use it to fish for good wads, however there is absolutely no way we'd ever consider a homer award like that. It's already stressful enough to consider projects in which committee members are involved and "expelling" them from the discussion. Tooting our own horn on how good cacowards are as a concept is unacceptable.

2 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Best Cacoward ceremony: The Cacowards

And what's the deal with Cacowards?

I tell ya, the Cacowards don't get no respect!

I nominate this. Absolutely gorgeous levels using Otex that are just super fun, frantic, and just all around enjoyable.

Edited by whybmonotacrab

18 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

The Cacoward Cacoward for Cacowardness in Cacowarditude goes to the Cacowards.

Basically that but with Cacoward instead of Malkovich:

19 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

I recall one of the awards shows used to present an award for "Best Awards Show," so there's a precedent of sorts. It's not the Cacoward committee's fault that there is only one group giving out annual awards for quality in and related to Doom mapping.

8 hours ago, Pegleg said:

It's not the Cacoward committee's fault that there is only one group giving out annual awards for quality in and related to Doom mapping.

related, but I always wish the annual crop of "playing the year's Cacowards" Twitch streams swapped in some runners-up (whichever seem appealing) instead of sticking to the top-10. because the variation in any player's personal taste will be much bigger than the difference between Cacos and runners-up can possibly be. (that would be true even if a judgment bot existed that could choose everything "perfectly," with no human factor.) 

that would be less critical if many groups did awards -- you'd have different "top-10s" to intersect. but the proper way to account for that, in a world where one group does it, is to treat 1-10 and 11-20(+) as kinda close in theory and pick whatever looks interesting to play.   

+1 to Death's Dichotomy, I feel it passed by for many people. It's a really good mapset.

I also finished Refracted Reality and it was great. I don't know why it hadn't a Cacoward or a runnerup in 2020. Was it because they were waiting until the complete release at a later date?

+1 for Infraworld - Coma Moonlight.

I'll just give my +1 to the full version of Blade of Agony. It's probably the most impressive TC/standalone project I've ever seen and there's so much new stuff in it, it feels like it should count as a separate release from the 2016 one that already won a Cacoward.

Edited by AwakeOnPhobos

On 5/3/2021 at 10:44 PM, dew said:

It's great if the thread outgrew its original purpose and people use it to fish for good wads, however there is absolutely no way we'd ever consider a homer award like that. It's already stressful enough to consider projects in which committee members are involved and "expelling" them from the discussion. Tooting our own horn on how good cacowards are as a concept is unacceptable.

Sadly with the death of /newstuff (no one wanted to review the countless wads to get to the handful of community gems produced each year) and how quickly the respective forum gets updated with new posts, it's extremely difficult to sort through the mountain for recommendations from other community memers. This topic here is one of the few places where people can get that without having to go through all of the forum threads.

Completely agree with you @antares031. Many of the runner up wads of today are usually on par with (if not better than) the cacoward winners of mid-2000s. I think it would be a good idea to have a silver cacoward trophy for such wads.

Edited by ReaperAA