Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icecoldduke

Heretic 2 - Source code recreation part 2

On 5/2/2021 at 9:27 PM, bladerunner said:

Nothing has been entered in his repository for Heretic 2 - Source code recreation part 2 in two months. Did he give up on it?

https://github.com/jmarshall23/Heretic2

Ice has many interests - and many projects, often in a state he considers finished. 

Likely he returns to this.

Do you think we could see an MS-DOS version of this source port, like the ones for Hexen II and Quake II (which run on id Tech 2 just as Heretic II does)? I just like the idea of being able to play all four of the Heretic/Hexen games in a DOSBox wrapper. And a DOS port would also be good for hardcore classic gamers.

30 minutes ago, EldritchNexus said:

Do you think we could see an MS-DOS version of this source port, like the ones for Hexen II and Quake II (which run on id Tech 2 just as Heretic II does)? I just like the idea of being able to play all four of the Heretic/Hexen games in a DOSBox wrapper. And a DOS port would also be good for hardcore classic gamers.

Given he would have to write a completely new renderer I am going to go with no chance in hell.

9 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Given he would have to write a completely new renderer I am going to go with no chance in hell.

What about software rendering? Heretic II has a software rendering mode like Quake II and Hexen II. It might end up looking all chunky and crap in DOS, but it would still be playable.

40 minutes ago, EldritchNexus said:

i think we could but that will be dependent on you

if you want to play it on ms-dos i think you will need to program it yourself seeing how he already has the monumental task of recreating the source code

6 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

i think we could but that will be dependent on you

if you want to play it on ms-dos i think you will need to program it yourself seeing how he already has the monumental task of recreating the source code

I don't know anything about programming, but he could get in touch with the people that worked on the Hammer of Thyrion and Q2DOS source ports and see how they did it, and even collab with them. Neozeed (the creator of Q2DOS) is already aware of this reconstruction project, and he might be interesting in helping out.

3 minutes ago, EldritchNexus said:

I don't know anything about programming, but he could get in touch with the people that worked on the Hammer of Thyrion and Q2DOS source ports and see how they did it, and even collab with them. Neozeed (the creator of Q2DOS) is already aware of this reconstruction project, so he might be interesting in helping out.

i just started to learn python this year belive me it isnt as hard as it looks like but yeah maybe a collab could happen but i think icecolduke already has a lot of work on his hands and i dunno if he is interested in making a playable version on dos but only he can tell

also you really should study some programming

On 5/9/2021 at 8:50 PM, EldritchNexus said:

What about software rendering? Heretic II has a software rendering mode like Quake II and Hexen II. It might end up looking all chunky and crap in DOS, but it would still be playable.

I will not be recreating the software renderer for Heretic 2. I'm only focusing on hardware rendering only/raytracing. 

Nothing has been entered in his repository for Heretic 2 - Source code recreation part 2 for months now. Did he give up on it?

I have got the foundation on its feet, just a few big things are left:

3rd person camera has to be re-created.

Player pmove needs to be re-written based on the hex rays output of the original Quake2.dll.

Client effects need to be hooked up the network replication.

Minor things like obituary notifications and such.

Some server side support functions.

On 6/27/2021 at 12:37 AM, bladerunner said:

Nothing has been entered in his repository for Heretic 2 - Source code recreation part 2 for months now. Did he give up on it?

Just to catch everyone up: the last core bug remaining in the Heretic 2 bits is the bugs in the collision detection. Unforunetly Raven in Heretic 2 did some "magic"(only calling it magic because I have no idea) bits to make the collision detection way better then Quake 2; and I haven't been able to find the magic sauce to get that fixed. Probably the next step is switching the collision detection code over to like PhysX or something; I know someone is doing that for Quake 2, once thats done I might revist this and get that code integrated. 

Thanks icecoldduke...

by the way... Googling around a bit I came across this and thought it was pretty cool... "Heretic2 Setup v1.07" (Heretic II Enhancement Pack v1.07) the "Unofficial patch for Heretic II that adds widescreen support and "Music" using "OGG Files (.ogg)".

It might not be as good as Heretic 2 Source code recreation part2, but it makes textures look almost as good as "HD" textures. It uses the "Heretic II Enhancement Pack v1.07" with pre-set "Video settings" at renderer "software) setting, like the "Source code recreation" does... but, this uses Direct sound with the "Music" folder using "OGG Files (.ogg)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpSAVE8e70k

Edited by bladerunner : update

Wow, what a fantastic effort icecoldduke!

I was an avid player of this game for many years and part of a very small online community that played multiplayer religously. I used to run a server and had a couple mods there, one of which was to export logs to feed into a Heretic 2 website I wrote. I had player stats for all players that used my server and ran that site for years.

At one point I was working on a mod to let Corvus fly via the Wings of Wrath spell like the original Heretic. Apparently there were animations available for flying that were not used in the final game, I think due to time restrictions. I ended up trying to use those but they were meant to have Corvus flying in the upright position and I didn't like that at all. I created new animations using the frames from the swimming animation and created a really cool flying mod where all weapons and animations were still correct for the torso, but the bottom was from the swim frames (same, really, as if you fell into water with a weapon armed). This allowed Corvus to fly around ala Superman style while firing weapons and after changing the bounding box I had him flying through small windows, etc. It looked and played really, really cool and introduced yet another element of movement which is what originally made this game so great. I finally got it to the point I wanted to alpha test so had my brother connect to my local server and... failure. What he would see is my character standing/flying rapidly changing back and forth. After digging in I finally realized something was happening on the engine side that was resetting the player, and of course didn't have that source code. I took a shot at emailing Pat Lipo, lead developer and designer at Raven for H2, and I guess my question caught his attention because we actually ended up chatting about it. Super cool dude who took the time out of his busy schedule to talk about something he hadn't worked on for years. He didn't even have the code ready any more as I believe at the time he was working on the Star Wars/Jedi game. Anyway, he loaded up the code and found what I had assumed, the engine was doing a check to see if the player was no longer in water, and if not, was resetting the player state thus breaking my mod. I had looked into surrounding the player with a box of invisible water while the spell was active but couldn't get that going, so all was lost and sadly I gave up. I really wish I had taken videos from my view because it was fantastic. Anyway, the whole point of my short story here was that I had a snippet of about 10 lines of the actual engine code that Mr. Lipo sent me to show the check that was being done, but as far as I know the code was never released. There was always some story of how because Raven had modified the engine source it was then Activision's and couldn't be released -- something along those lines but all hearsay.

Anyway, this is exciting to see and I can only imagine a monumental task! Great work, man!! I always wanted to see this exact game in one of today's game engines because the flexibility and control of your player really made for some fun and skillful matches in multiplayer.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:36 AM, icecoldduke said:

As far as we know its just never been released. However since its never got a proper steam release, its suspected the original source code was lost. 

It is definitely not lost at least not the source of the Amiga version. I am the coder who ported it (commercial port based on a license) to AmigaOS back then. At best ny knowledge the company for whom i worked back then still fot the source. Not sure if they kept the unmodified Windows-versions source though or only the Amiga-version’s source.

But it is correct it was never publicly released, the source code. Possible that the source of the Windows-version is lost. 

MagicSN

Here is something interesting a came across Googling…

Heretic II “Reshade Mod version 1.07” project:

*Note: This reshade Mod/preset I am designing is to help you get the most colorful, sharpest, cleanest image you may get out of your game without the need to force anything upon your GPU and take a massive performance hit, and loads only 6 shaders.

Reshade Mod Requirements for Heretic II:

Heretic II Game pre-installed and updated to version 1.07
1) (DirectX end-user runtime from June 2010)
2) (Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 – Microsoft)
3) (DXGL)
4) ReShade_Setup_5.5.1 and install/add the (ReShadePreset.ini) for Heretic II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu4y9KoAkgo

Here is another Video he posted for the “Reshade Mod version 1.07.” The “Reshade Mod” takes photos in (PNG) so they can use them to make (LUTS) for the game, like Quake1 used to use (LITS).  Check out the Video at full screen. They may not have updated the monsters  models, but they still look pretty nice with the 6 – shaders the Mod is using.

Heretic II “Reshade Mod version 1.07” project-1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccA8GQhYdII634368401_reshadesettings3.jpg.5f85ff40ca358da78cbd4c85d42ab5c9.jpg

Edited by bladerunner

Reshade for Heretic II:

You need to install everything listed below in this order to get the “Reshade Mod” to work with “Heretic II”.

API (OpenGL)

Reshade Mod Requirements for Heretic II:
Heretic II Game Setup version 1.07
1) (DirectX end-user runtime from June 2010) for Reshade.
2) (Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 – Microsoft) for DXGL.
3) (DXGL)
4) ReShade_Setup_5.5.1 and install and if you want to use this reshade Preset you need to add the (ReShadePreset.ini) for Heretic II.

Heretic II reshade Project 3

“Heretic2reshade_v1.07” – Project – 3 Creating a (ReShadePreset.ini) Project 3”  (Enhancing the textures using “shaders” to make the Heretic II Game look like it is using 32 bit textures).

As you can see, some shaders need to be adjusted more, but the game is looking really nice… I would love some help with this project. If anyone is interested and or wants to try the Mod (ReShadePreset.ini), please feel free to leave a comment or post here or in the Heretic II forums.

https://youtu.be/RuhK5H7CV6M

Incredible to see this project being worked on, i literally grew up with this game in a small but extremely active online community of people. Played daily for most of my teen years going by the name Dave-<StOnEd> stoned being my clan tag. I think i remember blade runner from back then as well, assuming the name on these forums is the same guy. Crazy to see someone working on this as it played a huge part of my life (mainly the people i met through it) around 20 years ago now.

Keep up the great work man, hope everything works out.

Hello Dave-<StOnEd> It's nice to see you around buddy!!!

and “Yes” it's (bladèrunnèr or Sport#TnXWAR#). A group of us still play deathmatch once or twice a month on MyDedServer DM  and we have a new “Heretic II” installer available at our new Archives website "The Heretic II Vault" which you can "Google" and enjoy a recollection of past events or go to the Facebook (Raven Games forum).

I hope posting those addresses did not break any rules.