Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ukiro

OTEX texture set – UPDATE 2020: Version 1.1 released!

2 hours ago, Gez said:

In ZDoom, the "textures" namespace overrides both flats and wall textures. Wall textures have their own namespace; but they don't have an associated PK3 folder.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Namespace

Thanks for clearing that up, makes all much more sense to me now.

14 hours ago, Mitchfork said:

EDIT #2: Reading the rest of the thread, I understand that this is intentional now.  I guess I'll just have to manually update all the flats then.

is your map in UDMF format? if so, I think it'd be straightforward to automate the flat name updating. if it is a UDMF format map and you haven't already done it and it seems like an undertaking to do it, feel free to send me the wad and I can try to automate the renaming for you so it doesn't take forever. since UDMF is text-based, I think running a few find+replace with regular expressions (or even without, actually) would probably work pretty well

38 minutes ago, Tango said:

is your map in UDMF format? if so, I think it'd be straightforward to automate the flat name updating. if it is a UDMF format map and you haven't already done it and it seems like an undertaking to do it, feel free to send me the wad and I can try to automate the renaming for you so it doesn't take forever. since UDMF is text-based, I think running a few find+replace with regular expressions (or even without, actually) would probably work pretty well

Sure, I'll send you a PM.  It's only two maps and I tend to keep my texture/flat usage pretty tight, so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to do it manually, but if you wanted to try it be my guest.

Mitchfork suggested I share this here as well, so for anyone else with a UDMF map and wanting to use the pk3 version of OTEX 1.1, here's how you'd easily convert to the new 0-prefixed flats:

Spoiler

Zri3I3N.png

basic process was opening up the wad, opening the TEXTMAP lump, finding out what the syntax is in TEXTMAP that defines a sector's ceiling and floor (turns out to be texturefloor = "ABC" and textureceiling = "ABC"), so I could do a find a replace where I replaced every instance of:

texturefloor = "O

with

texturefloor = "0

then just repeat for the ceiling, and voila! if you use any textures as flats though, then you'll inevitably have a few things break by doing this. but if you generally stick to flats on ceilings/floors and textures on walls, then it might still be worth doing the find+replace and fixing any lingering issues after

I already downloaded it and I think is the best texture pack i have ever seen 

Sorry, last post on this but another thing that might be relevant for those going from v1.0 WAD to v1.1 pk3 - the graphics in the pk3 are in PNG format, which is fine for pk3-compatible source ports, but if you rely on paletting to change the look of your textures, you need to use SLADE to convert the graphics.  This is trivially difficult but took me a second to figure out.

I know you said you (understandably) aren't working too hard on crafting new textures at this point, but one thing that occurs to me in trying this texture set out is that it would be nice to have versions of the OFIRE* textures that have transparent areas instead of black.  I don't know how small or large of an undertaking that would be, but it might be something to consider if you do any more tweaks.

Necroposting to say I'll be streaming some texture noodling tomorrow, starting 13 hours from now (ish).

(I'll also be playing the darkest music I can find in my archives so be warned.)

I've seen the opinion floating around that it's bad to combine OTEX with vanilla textures, as the art styles are different. Is there any merit to those claims? There are still some good vanilla textures without a direct equivalent in OTEX, like some fleshy faces/skintech.

59 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

I've seen the opinion floating around that it's bad to combine OTEX with vanilla textures, as the art styles are different. Is there any merit to those claims? There are still some good vanilla textures without a direct equivalent in OTEX, like some fleshy faces/skintech.

I’d agree with the notion that they don’t mesh super well with vanilla textures, I think it’s possible to mix a few of the OTEX textures

into your set like the various startan derivatives and maybe the lights, but composing your set primarily of OTEX with vanilla thrown in can make for jarring visual differences, though you are welcome to do as you please.

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

I think there is definitely some merit to that opinion, but as with most things, it's not a hard and fast rule and it can definitely work. 

I actually experimented with this in a map that I'll link here (in spoilers so I'm not just like, hijacking the thread to pimp my own work):

Spoiler

It took a lot of experimentation to find combinations that I liked and thought worked. I think it commonly works best if you pick one or the other set of textures as the "main textures", and then the other set as the "highlight textures". You also need to look for colors or patterns that compliment each other well enough. OTEX has some very extravagant and detailed textures, Doom 2's textures are 30 years old. However, OTEX has a lot of "classic inspired" textures, such as variations of the STARBASE patterns that can work well.

Generally, I'd say this: If you want to rely mostly on the OTEX textures for the aesthetic, use stock textures for highlights/borders. If you want a mostly classic aesthetic with OTEX thrown in for variety, the opposite should be true.

While I appreciate the answers, I was hoping for a context free gallery where I could look at the textures and see if maybe they inspired anything in me.  I guess I could just look at them in UDB, I suppose.

1 hour ago, A.o.D. said:

While I appreciate the answers, I was hoping for a context free gallery where I could look at the textures and see if maybe they inspired anything in me.  I guess I could just look at them in UDB, I suppose.

Look at them in Slade.

Are Eviternity, 1k lines CP and Mapwich 2 the only megawads that use OTEX? Or am I missing something?

Probably the only ones released, yeah. There's several in development from various individuals / groups though.

1 minute ago, Dragonfly said:

There's several in development from various individuals / groups though.

What are these if it isn't a secret?

4 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

I can think of a bunch of otex based megawads that are currently being worked on.

Why are you all teasing me by not naming any of these? 😩

Endeavour, X squared, Age of Hell, Elementalism (although otex is a supplementary pack there), 1k lines 3, Mapwich 3 and I've seen a lot of as yet unnamed project shots on discord using otex. (There's bound to be more that I've missed)

many of my projects or projects I'm involved with use OTEX (though some haven't been released yet). Heelbain, Deadtech, Micro Slaughter, and my own Death's Dichotomy and Dancing in the Abyss use it as a supplement. Not necessarily megawads but multi-map projects, to be sure. 

Not sure if this is a new report nor whether it was an intentional choice, but there's one patch with a '+' in its name: O2V+35_0

According to the wiki that character shouldn't be used.

It's not a problem in SLADE's texture editor, but I noticed it while working on an Omgifol script to collect texture pack stats. Omgifol, while loading lumps, converts their names to "safe" names and thus, in counting textures that use patches contained in the pack, there was a discrepancy of 1 as the OBRCKB90 texture for the above patch was skipped. Easy to work around in the script, but perhaps something that should eventually be fixed in the pack itself.

Edited by Xymph

I'm curious as to why the OSPRTHXX support textures look like they're offset by 8 units by default.

14 hours ago, Xymph said:

According to the wiki that character shouldn't be used.

I kind of wonder why. This mention has been there since the page was created by an anon, with no technical explanation. If vanilla Doom handles patch names with other characters just fine, what's the justification for banning them?

33 minutes ago, Gez said:

I kind of wonder why. This mention has been there since the page was created by an anon, with no technical explanation. If vanilla Doom handles patch names with other characters just fine, what's the justification for banning them?

Fair question, the same anon mentioned the same limitation when simultaneously creating the TEXTUREx article.

It could be the reason why Edit: Fredrik didn't allow '+' and most other non-alphanums in Omgifol but that code was already present in v0.2 from 2006, predating the articles.

Edited by Xymph : Checked older version

@ukiro I get 'The sourcefile cannot be read' when trying to download the pk3 version of OTEX on your website.

Additionally, do you have to hand any simple listing of the names of all the flats? (as in, literally a text-file with just all the names in) In the offchance I get around to the absolutely insane task of assigning correct footstep sounds to every OTEX flat, such a thing would help save me a huge amount of time.