Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

15 minutes ago, URROVA said:

yeah, for singleplayer/coop is right. But for deathmatch its different, you want the rival dying instantly in one shot.

yeah dm without ssg is boring 

Doom 3's Doomguy is more macho and boss than Classic Doomguy, because he fights without a helmet and under more realistic health/movement/endurance constraints, as well.

11 minutes ago, Maes said:

Doom 3's Doomguy is more macho and boss than Classic Doomguy, because he fights without a helmet and under more realistic health/movement/endurance constraints, as well.

By the logic, almost every other FPS/TPS protagonist is more macho and badass than the Classic Doomguy and even Doom 3's Doomguy, because they fight under more realistic constraints (especially those who can only carry 2 weapons).

8 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

By the logic, almost every other FPS/TPS protagonist is more macho and badass than the Classic Doomguy and even Doom 3's Doomguy, because they fight under more realistic constraints (especially those who can only carry 2 weapons).

Yes, but even Doom-3-guy fights with more style than any of the stiff dime-a-dozen CoD-esque (pun-intended) dummies, especially considering the game's own era. And with full artifacts in RoE he does gain back some of that classic edge....

Though maybe that's more due to id's experience with good FPS controls and mechanics, than anything. If you try playing Doom 3 expecting Classic Doom speed and mechanics...yeah, that won't work. Doom 3 was its own thing and, all things considered, it was more than just "adequate" or "fair" (if we exclude a few headscratchers like the flashlight or shotgun mechanics...)

2 hours ago, Maes said:

Yes, but even Doom-3-guy fights with more style than any of the stiff dime-a-dozen CoD-esque (pun-intended) dummies, especially considering the game's own era. And with full artifacts in RoE he does gain back some of that classic edge....

Though maybe that's more due to id's experience with good FPS controls and mechanics, than anything. If you try playing Doom 3 expecting Classic Doom speed and mechanics...yeah, that won't work. Doom 3 was its own thing and, all things considered, it was more than just "adequate" or "fair" (if we exclude a few headscratchers like the flashlight or shotgun mechanics...)

Plus he bonks demons from hell on the head with a flashlight!

gzdoom mods always seemed less impressive to me because of how advanced the engine already is

I like the flashlight mechanic of Doom 3, for me it's more realistic, and it's a good weapon against zombies (if you want to save ammo)

5 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

I like the flashlight mechanic of Doom 3, for me it's more realistic

I mean, if you've only got one hand, I guess it's realistic for you then. :^P

Just now, Biodegradable said:

No, I mean, it would work with the pistol, but most other weapons require you to use both hands, so...yeah, you can't use a flashlight when both hands are occupied, unless you use the BFG edition's mounted flashlight or the mod that let's you use the flashlight with other weapons (I can't remember the name)

roe is better then doom 3 in almost every way possible

its short so doesnt feel bloated like doom 3 its more action focused and it has a super fucken shotgun

38 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

I like the flashlight mechanic of Doom 3, for me it's more realistic, and it's a good weapon against zombies (if you want to save ammo)

32 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

TBQH, I thought about Doom-3-guy badassedness of fighting without a helmet while I was using a head-mounted torch...he might as well be using one of those. Or a damn miner's helmet.

25 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

roe is better then doom 3 in almost every way possible

its short so doesnt feel bloated like doom 3 its more action focused and it has a super fucken shotgun

That weapon has even more spread than the regular shotgun. But it shoots so many pellets at once (I am not sure if some Magic Pellet Multiplication a-la Classic Doom is taking place there too...) that it hides the fact, and most of the time an imp will be killed at a reasonable (like, 7-8 feet from you distance) without putting too much effort at aiming it exactly at its torso (though sometimes they will survive even that...). But let's be honest, conditioned from the shotgun's blunderbuss-like spread, you'll be jamming it up demon's throats/asses anyway before shooting, so it doesn't really matter.

1 minute ago, Maes said:

TBQH, I thought about Doom-3-guy badassedness of fighting without a helmet while I was using a head-mounted torch...he might as well be using one of those. Or a damn miner's helmet.

That weapon has even more spread than the regular shotgun. But it shoots so many pellets at once (I am not sure if some Magic Pellet Multiplication a-la Classic Doom is taking place there too...) that it hides the fact, and most of the time an imp will be killed at a reasonable (like, 7-8 feet from you distance). But let's be honest, conditioned from the shotgun's blunderbuss-like spread, you'll be jamming it up demon's throats/asses anyway before shooting, so it doesn't really matter.

if the doom 3 shotgun was the ssg from roe i would have no problem with doom 3's combat that weapon is great AND IT IS RELIABLE way better in my eyes

9 minutes ago, Maes said:

Alternatively, he just clenches the torch between his pectoral muscles.

25 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Alternatively, he just clenches the torch between his pectoral muscles.

At that point, he could just zip down his pants halfway and secure it there.

Just now, Redoom said:

Z-based ports are bad

yeah thats controversial

I prefer DOS over source ports for modding, but I can't run the dang thing

uhh you like MSDOS doom but also texture filtering?

1 minute ago, Redoom said:

T E X T U R E F I L T E R I N G

The 3D models in JDoom (was it JDoom?) looked absolutely hideous.

And:

Beautiful Doom makes the game look weird by adding in frames that you know weren't there. The game is gritty and pixellated (unless using filters) but the animation looks like it was done in 2021, creating a weird dissonance.

On 2/2/2016 at 12:03 AM, AD_79 said:

I agree with your points about the misuse (or hell, even the use itself) of the word "slaughter", it's definitely irritating to me when people just slap that label on any old map just because it has a larger-than-normal volume of monsters.

Controversial opinion: I don't like Doom 1 much. Aside from a few maps in E4 it just bores me.

I just started playing The Ultimate Doom and I have to admit it was a bit underthrilling until the fourth area of the first world.

For reference, the similar games I have played are DUSK (2018), RECOIL (1998), and Afraid of Monsters (2005).

25 minutes ago, Theperson said:

Ok an actual controversial opinon:

BFG Divison is overrated.

Yup, Rip & Tear is better

2 hours ago, URROVA said:

uhh you like MSDOS doom but also texture filtering?

I don't like texture filtering on everything, to me it looks best on weapons like the fist or shotgun, maybe the chaingun

On 5/4/2021 at 12:04 AM, CasualScrub said:

I would honestly love to see another Doom 3-styled horror-focused game in the series. I think Doom 3 is pretty unfairly maligned for not being exactly like the first two games, and I think it still holds its own as a fantastic game in its own right. I think there's value in putting emphasis on the horror side of the series sometimes; it's the same reason that I love the Doom PS1 soundtrack. So I think it's something that's worth trying again, even if not for a mainline game but maybe for something like a spin-off.

Do it in a survival horror FPS style.  With the horror setting of Doom 3, Resident Evil 2, Amnesia, and Silent Hill mixed together

Once I get my internet set up I can start recording my runs of Entryway BDv21/MOC HC

But I finally got sub 5 100% everything

:D

20210510_212532.jpg

I'm currently playing TNT evilution (map 24) and I love how weirder the maps get. It look kids drawings : maybe terribly ugly but creative.