Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom4fun

UAC Vinur Prime Research Base - REDUX - Slaughter Edition

Hi!

I noticed that there really aren't too many proper slaughter maps out there so I decided to add my own contribution. By proper slaughter map I mean 5+ k monsters per map. I found excellent map UAC Vinur Prime Research Base - REDUX made by Zanieon for GZDoom.

Luckily it has this in readme:

Authors MAY use the contents in this file as a base for modification
or reuse.

And this is exactly what I did. I added a tons on monsters and ammunition. I also modified map where I found my self looking for next door, switch, elevator, etc for too long time to make important things more visible. And Added few secrets. Although this map has 13.4k monsters it is totally playable without secret or hard to reach invulnerability spheres (can't say the same for plainly visible invulnerability spheres). They key strategy it to cause as much infight as you can. It is hard to estimate difficulty level. Indoor areas can be worse than chillax in some places as wider hallways have larger monster throughput but outdoor area should be easier than that. Save game is your best friend when trying to beat it without weapon mods.

Since the original readme also said this:

Authors MAY NOT use the musics in this file as a base for modification
or reuse hence they are not owned by the creator of this file.

So I had to replace music. All tracks are from opengameart.org and thus this restriction no longer applies to this mod.

UACVPRBRedux Slaughter Edition screenshot 12RmfBfS.png

UACVPRBRedux Slaughter Edition screenshot 2

zwLF8tN.png

UACVPRBRedux Slaughter Edition screenshot 3

IlbvxZC.png

UACVPRBRedux Slaughter Edition screenshot 4

cjLqCHQ.png

UACVPRBRedux Slaughter Edition screenshot 5. Because it's zdoom I  was able to stack 4 layers of cacodemons on top of each other.

Gh0lNrt.png

UACVPRBRedux Slaughter Edition screenshot 6

iv1uUcx.png

UACVPRBRedux Slaughter Edition screenshot 7

9DFEBy5.png

Download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a4b2b3cmy5leo4w/UACVPRBReduxSlaughterEdition.pk3/file

Tips:

• For maxium fun, try this map with Russian Overkill mod.
  • Also Invulnerability spheres can boost your frame rate by disabling dynamic lighting (not with Russian Overkill).
  • You might not want to pick up blue key before you have cleared this area because otherwise you have no where to run from monsters.
  • In outdoor area you may want to kill arachnotrons first as their rapid fire rate can cause some lag.
  • In outdoor area letting everyone infight with everyone at the same time can slow down your PC. You may want to keep infights localized.
  • Tested with GZDoom 4.5.0. Other ports such as PrBoom are not supported.
  • Remember that I only added monsters, ammunition, powerups, few secrets and modified music, credits for original map design go to Zanieon.
Edited by Doom4fun

Me: Tries to make a huge map without much of a slaugherfest, because big maps does not always need to imply that.

The Slaughterfest:
EsiJHXsW4AAD0f4.jpg

Best wishes with that edition.

Actually I am happy that you did this map. In every slaughter map topic I see people who are not happy that beautiful map is turned in slaughter map. Now I can just link your original map to everyone who complains about monster count. Ok to be honest I have one complaint myself - I aimed for 20+ k monsters but my 3.7 GHz CPU was not happy to have that many monsters in single outdoor area. Ok one could maybe add  2-5k monsters indoors but that would make it even more packed. Luckily 2nm chip was announced recently so after 5 years I or someone else could add missing monsters to get total count at least 20k.

Edited by Doom4fun

I remember this great map and like it alot! It's a shame that it received undeservedly little attention after its release.
I don't like slaughter maps too much, but I hope this edition will correct the situation and give more fame to original.

Yes, sadly, that's life. Sometimes you can put in months of effort and get just 5 likes and few comments. And other times you spend 2 hours to make nuts.wad and you get entire world's attention for for eternity.

And yes, I agree that it is very good map - otherwise I would not have used it as a base. It looks modern unlike some slaughter maps that are still stuck in 90s. And that level of detail in city which is  purely decorative and evening atmosphere in outdoor area looks excellent. My only  complaint was that sometimes I was running circles because some important stuff weren't properly highlighted.

Edited by Doom4fun

Just played this with Russian Overkill. It's pretty enjoyable, but I think you should have reduced the enemy count in the outdoor area because I was getting single digit frames out there.

6 hours ago, E.M. said:

Just played this with Russian Overkill. It's pretty enjoyable, but I think you should have reduced the enemy count in the outdoor area because I was getting single digit frames out there.

Did you happen to use nukes - like slot 8 weapons and their secondary fire?

If yes you might want to look into RO optimization tutorial: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=1184589 . The nukes slow it down because they do 0 damage to those outside of blast radius which means that it will waste still CPU time on monsters who do not need to be damaged. With this optimization you can even play Holy Hell Revealed if you want. It seems that author has worked on some performance issues lately but not on A_SuperExplode.

If the problem was with machineguns, don't pick up caliber upgrade (blue berserk replacement) as it upgrades your bullets to explode on impact.

Currently I would not like to reduce the number of monsters. Specially since what is too much is very individual - some people still use 2 GHz CPU and still get lag while others use 5 GHz CPU and they get bored in map designed for 2 GHz. Map that is optimized for your computer may still run slow for someone else.

Edited by Doom4fun

I'm having a bizarre issue. If I load this up with Guncaster the corpses turn almost invisible. I can't replicate it with any other mod and if I play any other wad, including doom 2, the corpses are fine. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

Well, this site keeps failing the picture upload so you'll have to take my word on it.

edit: Okay, it has something to do with the gore mod that's build into Guncaster. I was able to replicate the issue by loading up the Bolognese gore mod, which GC uses as older version of. Nashgore works fine, albeit, much laggier than bolognese.

The problem lies somewhere in the scripts as when I deleted the Behavior lump the problem went away.

I think it's this one.

script 1000 KILL
{
    SetActorProperty(0, APROP_Alpha, 0.1);
    SetActorProperty(0, APROP_RenderStyle, STYLE_Translucent);
}

Okay, well this was a learning experience for me. I removed that script and it works fine now. I wonder what that's in there for...

Well, after playing it for a few minutes I can safely say that you might have gone overboard on the items. 

Edited by Bryan T

Hi!

This script is there to hide cacodemons copses in outdoor area. When you press switch on outdoor area it releases 1682 cacodemons. Their copses make it difficult to see because there are so many of these. This is also why I lifted invulnerability spheres in the air - so that you could see them above corpses.

You can compare this with and without this script. With Russian Over kill it should be pretty fast to get there with noclip and then give everything to get weapons + items. Or with no gun mods use sv_fastweapons 2 and sv_infiniteammo 1 to speed yourself up a little bit.

I think Guncaster (I have not played it myself) either calls script nr 1000 on each kill which in this map happens to be overwritten by my script or it is assigning all monsters tag 1000 which causes script to be executed.

I think more correct way would have been to remove this line:

SetActorFlag(1000, "USEKILLSCRIPTS", TRUE);