Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
battlescroll

which source port is good for a toaster

some times i get a computer with not the best specs and i mean that opengl is not a option (so no gzdoom) so what port is best for bad computers.

6 minutes ago, Worriedidiot said:

PrBoom+ would probably be a good choice if your computer can't run any of the zdoom ports.

i said no gzdoom but that still means zdoom and lzdoom are still options

Anything that doesn't need OpenGL, can run on the simplest of toasters. After all, Doom was made for computers with a two-digit number of megabytes of RAM and an Intel i486. Crispy Doom (my favorite), PrBoom+, Eternity, and Chocolate Doom should all be fine. If those won't run, you have bigger problems.

Edited by northivanastan

prboom+ and crispy are your best friends if that doesnt work chocolate doom

PrBoom+ it can run nuts.wad very well, of course you would still need a powerful PC but it's really well optimized. And also, don't play nuts.wad either way, it's just an example of how well it runs 

(see this part in Dwars video about it)

I wonder, does playing prboom in 320x200 require less horsepower than higher resolutions? 

In any case, playing Doom in high resolution is a disgrace in my eyes.

prBoom+ is probably your best option if you want high frame rate and compatibility with most things.

Also,

7 minutes ago, game said:

Why?

1 hour ago, northivanastan said:

two-digit number of megabytes of RAM

Yeah, I wish...

2 hours ago, game said:

If you want 320x200 try chocolate doom, but take in consideration that you'll only be able to play vanilla wads

Toaster Linux? Oops, I mean, Toaster Doom?

when the game is printed as burn patterns in your slice of bread

3 hours ago, game said:

I wonder, does playing prboom in 320x200 require less horsepower than higher resolutions? 

Yes of course. 

4 hours ago, northivanastan said:

two-digit number of megabytes of RAM and an Intel i486

Mine had 4MB. ;-)

6 hours ago, Linuxmaster1992 said:

lzdoom is good, since it runs better than gzdoom, while still supporting the cool mods.

I remember playing lzdoom all the time on my old laptop it was the bomb 

6 hours ago, battlescroll said:

some times i get a computer with not the best specs and i mean that opengl is not a option (so no gzdoom) so what port is best for bad computers.

@drfrag's trio of ZDoom troubadours might help. Each build has its own seperate additional features, such as true color rendering and often contain seperate builds for software rendering or OpenGL. I finally got around giving these the credit that they deserve and to be easier-to-find in general.

ZDoom CL:

• requires the following: 486 DX4-100, 16 MB RAM, 1 MB SVGA card and Windows 95. For OpenGL mode a graphics card with GL 1.1 support is required.

ZDoom LE:

• requires the following: Pentium 133, 16 MB RAM, 1 MB SVGA card and Windows 95. For OpenGL mode a graphics card with GL 1.2 support is required.

ZDoom32:

• requires the following: Pentium II 233, 32 MB RAM, 1 MB SVGA card and Windows 98. For OpenGL mode a graphics card with GL 2.0 support is required.

Yeah i've found my own page in the doomwiki, somehow you discovered my real name. There are some inaccuracies but thanks anyway, i should clarify them one of these days.

BTW i'm preparing another release of the supposedly defunct ZDoom32 with some vanilla accuracy related features and some cleanup.

And i uploaded the other day a test build of ZDoom CL (for compat_oldrandom and the -noscript parameter so boom compatible wads don't abort), one thing i've noticed tough is that now ddraw runs "well" on windows 10, there is only some mouse delay and it crashes changing between fullscreen and windowed. It's better of course to use native d3d.

Those requirements were too optimistic, i'd say CL requires a pentium and LE a pentium II too.

In my opinion, without specified specs I would suggest downloading a few different source ports that spark your interests or meet your requirements, and then choose the one that offers you the best performance on your computer. 

My old HP-15 laptop from 2014 that had 4gb of RAM, integrated intel gfx, etc. was able to run practically every source port. IIRC GZDoom would also run on it, but it would take a while to load between screens, and I was not using any of the advanced video features. That’s not an issue with GZDoom; it’s due to the hardware that was used. 

3 hours ago, drfrag said:

Yeah i've found my own page in the doomwiki, somehow you discovered my real name. There are some inaccuracies but thanks anyway, i should clarify them one of these days.

Yes yes, i figured as much (about the inaccuracies). For me the bigger goal was making your work more easily accesible. All your ZDoom offshore are amazing for low end hardware, so they need to be in the spotlight.

If you want your name removed, Just let me know :)

BTW i'm preparing another release of the supposedly defunct ZDoom32 with some vanilla accuracy related features and some cleanup.

Im interested! As long as it has a distinctive name. As you can tell, part of the effort was about figuring out your naming and release schemer.

Those requirements were too optimistic, i'd say CL requires a pentium and LE a pentium II too.

Ill update whenever you are ready :)

9 hours ago, 1Destro3456 said:

PrBoom+ it can run nuts.wad very well, of course you would still need a powerful PC but it's really well optimized. And also, don't play nuts.wad either way, it's just an example of how well it runs.

If I remember correctly, you'll still need glboom+ for those big boi maps, correct?

9 minutes ago, VoanHead said:

If I remember correctly, you'll still need glboom+ for those big boi maps, correct?

Yeah, he said glboom at that moment

5 hours ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Woof is a nice alternative to prboom+.

btw @fabian what´s the ETA on a new version? 

+1000

Woof! has few requirements and it works very well, also Eternity and PrBoom+ are very good options