Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

So where does your username come from?

@Gokuma: Yes, you're correct. That was the best first post ever. Incredibly informative/helpful, and the poster is just so unassuming. Very cool.

When I was a kid, I tried to sign up an account with the name "Gustavo", but it was obviously already taken. YouTube prepped for me a number of suggestions, each peppered with a few numbers on the end, and in light with the slight bias toward rounded numbers that I used to have, I picked this one.

Teo is the shorten version of Theodore which is my actual name
Slayer from Doom Slayer because I'm a big fan of the Doom Series

Put together => Teo Slayer :D

I've always been interested in the ancient mythologies of the world, though I'm not a man of faith myself. I also wanted a username that represented where I'm from, without being too lame.

This username comes from a character on our greatest epic poem, Os Lusíadas (The Lusiads) by Luís Vaz de Camões.

my username came from not wanting to name my doomworld account the same name as my youtube channel (hunting the gaming huntsinger   P.S i have renamed my YouTube to the bmfg) so i was thinking of some doom related stuff then KABOOM it came into my head. how about instead of big fucking gun maybe big motherfucking gun would sound cooler. so then i made my doomworld account then

When I made my DW account Theperson was a shortened "NerdManPerson" which was my OG username for twitter/reddit/discord/blah blah.
Last year I rebranded my usernames as Mememind and I dont know how to change my DW name.

Mememind was a temporary shitpost of the gravemind from Halo 2 but it stuck.

i came up with mine when i was making a wow acount as a kid so i wanted something middle ages like so i thought of batllescroll.

In second grade my class was writing plays. I chose to be in a group with 2 girls in my class. One day while we were writing (it was a really cute play, actually. It was in March so we had a play on a lion and a lamb and how the 2 seasons of winter and spring were different but could still get along) and one of the girls in my group started to call themselves potato. I don't know why we found it hysterical, but we did. She then called the other person in the group Doughnut and she was having difficulty coming up with a food-related nickname for me, so instead of creating a new food-related nickname, she just took her name, potato, and added chip at the end. I went by Potato Chip for the rest of the year. 

Fast forward to 3rd grade. I'm now playing my first and only year of baseball. I was at practice one day and the coach asked me if I had a nickname. I told him it was potato chip and he told me it was the worst nickname ever. He referred to me as Chip for the rest of practice, and I started using it as a username on websites. 

When I was about 14/15 years old there was a music-related forum I used to be active on where I had the name DT-PT, which was just the abbreviation for my two favourite bands at the time. After a little while (like a few months or so) I decided it was a really lame thing to have as a username and was desperate to change it, so I just came up with the name DisgruntledPorcupine on the spot and requested the moderators change my moniker to that. I still don't think it's the best name but I've been using it for over 10 years now, so I guess it's just my identity at this point haha.

I decided not to disguise myself. I already explained in the other "Username" thread that I'm Lee Jackson, and I do Audio when my disabilities allow it. Here, I say I don't see a reason to hide who I am. None at all.

29 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

I decided not to disguise myself. I already explained in the other "Username" thread that I'm Lee Jackson, and I do Audio when my disabilities allow it. Here, I say I don't see a reason to hide who I am. None at all.

You made that, what you truly love, your profession. Creating music is a creative art that thrives best when there is an audience, that gives feedback, opinions on what you've created, which enables you to improve and grow as an artist. Joining a community anonymously would lock you out of all these opportunities and thus be rather pointless.

Your name does stir quite some positive echo in the gaming scene, as you already could witness in this forum. No good reason to miss out on that, right?

33 minutes ago, deus-ex said:

You made that, what you truly love, your profession. Creating music is a creative art that thrives best when there is an audience, that gives feedback, opinions on what you've created, which enables you to improve and grow as an artist. Joining a community anonymously would lock you out of all these opportunities and thus be rather pointless.

Your name does stir quite some positive echo in the gaming scene, as you already could witness in this forum. No good reason to miss out on that, right?

You do make a valid point, good sir. :D

27 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

You do make a valid point, good sir. :D

May I point your attention to this post of mine? Perhaps you have some background information on why the decision was made to ship the retail version of Shadow Warrior with CD-Audio and drop MIDI altogether? Thank you in advance.

23 minutes ago, deus-ex said:

May I point your attention to this post of mine? Perhaps you have some background information on why the decision was made to ship the retail version of Shadow Warrior with CD-Audio and drop MIDI altogether? Thank you in advance.

Answered in the other thread.

I thought "GraphicBleeder" sounded cool and I didn't want to go for the generic "DoomFan282398230481239482341" username.

I played Scythe just a few weeks before finally joining Doomworld and I liked MAP17 name, aesthetics and gameplay, so I choose Book Lord. I think it reflects my background as a Heretic/Hexen fan, in some mysterious way.

31 minutes ago, Book Lord said:

I played Scythe just a few weeks before finally joining Doomworld and I liked MAP17 name, aesthetics and gameplay, so I choose Book Lord. I think it reflects my background as a Heretic/Hexen fan, in some mysterious way.

Oh hey, my second-favorite Scythe Map! Solid choice!

My name is the geekiest thing possible: I took the first syllable of "SOny," the second of "NinTENdo," and the latter syllable of "seGA," and boom. I grew up in the nineties and these were the three big console competitors at the time, and try as I might, I don't think I'm ever going to fully break away from video games, so thus it was. I actually had an early alias of "Nintendo Dreamstation," but that's way too wordy and potentially copyright-baiting, so I ditched it. Though in some circles, I also went by the handle of "ContraVania," my two favorite Konami series, back when Konami was worth a diggity-damn. 

I think Sotenga also means something like "Blue Sky Will" or some gibberish phrase in Japanese, at least as far as my extremely limited understanding of the language interprets it. But while I am something of a nerd for Japanese culture, I assure that this was completely unintentional.

13 hours ago, Sotenga said:

I think Sotenga also means something like "Blue Sky Will" or some gibberish phrase in Japanese, at least as far as my extremely limited understanding of the language interprets it. But while I am something of a nerd for Japanese culture, I assure that this was completely unintentional.

Given that all three companies are Japanese, and my limited understanding of their spelling system, it would make sense that taking random syllables from different Japanese words and mashing them together would create something meaningful. Of course I don't speak Japanese, but I'm sure someone else on this forum who does will be able to verify.

I named my avatar after the cheep dollar-store pirate necklace that I wore from Grade 3 to shortly before my first year of University. Yes, it is the same necklace as my profile pick. Tragically, it broke and I can no longer wear it. It is a skeleton with an eye-patch. Skeletonpatch.

I was inspired by the good old cacodemon, but instead of being an evil/bad/ugly daimon, I am just your nearest daimon.

My first ever nickname on the internet was "capuccino123", that was back in 2009, it stayed like that until i changed it in 2015, my nickname was just Kuro, i met a girl and we started dating, her nick was "Kasugachii", so i changed mine to... yeah, Kurogachii, we broke up but the nickname stayed because it sounds cool (at least for me).