Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

What vanilla pwad would have caused the biggest WOW when replaced with doom2?

Like, imagine the pwad in question would have been published by ID instead of doom2.wad,

which pwad would have caused the highest WOW effect? No matter if it is because of technical

advances (like OS bridges) or because of gameplay or something else.

Of course this pwad has to be vanilla compatible and also playable on the hardware back then.

BTSX is Vanilla-compatible IIRC, so that'd be a good candidate. Not sure if it would be playable on the old hardware, though.

Ray Mohawk's Manic Monday and the demo of Ray Mohawk 2. Especially the demo, it uses dehacked magic.

I might be boring, but I gotta go with pl2.wad! If we talk only about wads similar (in a way) to doom2, I'd also say something like scythe or memento mori.

AOL Girls Museum

nuts.wad

Literal Spiral

My gut instinct was to say “BTSX with Doom 4 Vanilla” so I’ll lock that in as my final answer

Alien Vendetta. BTSX is cool but it doesn't have much variation in themes. Doom 2 Reloaded too maybe, but it doesn't fix Doom 2's problem of subpar gameplay

1 hour ago, Juza said:

Alien Vendetta. BTSX is cool but it doesn't have much variation in themes. Doom 2 Reloaded too maybe, but it doesn't fix Doom 2's problem of subpar gameplay

honestly yeah, this. or memento mori 2, which probably would've been better considering that it wouldn't be as ball-bustingly hard for people in 1994

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

My gut instinct was to say “BTSX with Doom 4 Vanilla” so I’ll lock that in as my final answer

^This, in terms of wow factor.

Although I do agree with Juza to some extent that the lack of variation in themes is one of BTSX's flaws.

21 minutes ago, roadworx said:

honestly yeah, this. or memento mori 2, which probably would've been better considering that it wouldn't be as ball-bustingly hard for people in 1994

Alien Vendetta would probably be very very impressive too, but I don't think MM2 would really "wow" anyone more than vanilla Doom 2.

Going with Alien Vendetta as well. 

That said @PSXDoomer suggestion of Requiem is worth noting. If I remember correctly that was the first time anyone had seen bridges in a Doom Wad. I suspect that would have blown a lot of minds back in the day.

Back to Saturn X has episode 2 as well. It has plenty of variety and would be a full game on its own. It would wow people a ton and revolutionize the FPS form even faster. (It is very hard by '94 standards on UV, especially when accounting for the navigational complexity of the larger maps -- but the result of that would be people playing on ITYTD, HNTR, and HMP. In this world, the "UV or bust" mentality would not have surfaced.) 

Its Wikipedia article would be full of fun facts like "the Visiplane Overflow boat references its namesake engine limit. Initially, lead developer Sarah Romero was confounded by an initially overdetailed boat, to which playtesters Boris Romero and Seele R00mer00 said ..." 

Kama Sutra - The game’s future was put in serious jeopardy after a bizarre sex dungeon was discovered in Columbine Colorado. News of the story caused over a dozen nuns to faint on the spot. Romero after leaving ID created his on magazine that rivalled Playboy.

In seriousness, there is some impressive stuff buried in this mega wad. The helicopter in map13 for a start.

would be fascinated to see the world where Jim Flynn's ENIGMA wad collection was the base iwad. giggle. enjoy all the world's FPS clones becoming impenetrable ledgewalking nightmares. kyle katarn setting off barrel chains which call lifts. Blackbird contacting you to tell you that you can walk through the support texture in the south east corner of the programmer's lair

all the helpful NPCs in Doom 3 replaced by static mandlebrot .BMPs

bonus: there wouldn't be this meathead narrative being perpetuated about Doom, a game largely about navigating dream logic play areas. "make the liquid textures consistent in their damage" finally fucks off for good

(or lum.wad

everything about doom remains the same except that the magazines it gets good reviews in and the magazines it gets bad reviews in swap)

I'll put in a bid for Whispers of Satan, which is a megawad I'm looking forward to replaying someday. I recall it oozed a far more gothic atmosphere than anything in original D2. 

18 hours ago, Side-O-Fries said:

If it could have run on standard computers of the day, Sunlust.  

29 minutes ago, Outrageous Videos said:

Sunder

These are Boom compatible, they're not vanilla.
I was wrong, read the comment below mine.

Edited by Hitboi

Just now, Hitboi said:

These are Boom compatible, they're not vanilla.

The newer Sunder maps are Boom-compatible -

The first 14 are most likely limit-removing due to their size.

3 hours ago, Jacek Bourne said:

I don’t know if scythe 2 is vanilla so I am going to assume it’s not and say AV or BTSX.

I think Scythe 2 is limit removing

4 hours ago, Final Verdict said:

Going with Alien Vendetta as well. 

That said @PSXDoomer suggestion of Requiem is worth noting. If I remember correctly that was the first time anyone had seen bridges in a Doom Wad. I suspect that would have blown a lot of minds back in the day.

dystopia 3 had them before requiem i believe

23 minutes ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

The newer Sunder maps are Boom-compatible -

The first 14 are most likely limit-removing due to their size.

I didn't know about this, thanks.
I think that I have tested/played the first map of Sunder with Crispy Doom, it could be a false memory.

22 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

I think Scythe 2 is limit removing

That's true. VVV
Capture.PNG.d5133353f37eefb9a4d5a568f795f743.PNG

Edit: I tested it in Chocolate Doom and Map01 doesn't work, however Map01 works in Crispy Doom.

Edited by Hitboi