Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

Widescreen Assets Pack and Appreciation Thread

GZDoom 4.5.0 comes with some Widescreen assets built in for the base games - the Doom II TITLEPIC almost seems weird not being bordered with huge black bars at this point.

@Nash's WidePix (project thread and GitHub repository) was the forerunner for the Unity port getting widescreen assets. He started it, and then @Scuba Steve joined, was faster, and was contacted by @sponge.

The work Steve did for WidePix was changed a bit for id, as the constraints of not changing the "inner 4:3 part" was dropped. These official assets are found here but the wording of the license requires them to only be used in .wad files. So GZDoom (and its .pk3 archives) stick with Nash's output instead of using the official ones.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

@Nash's WidePix (project thread and GitHub repository) was the forerunner for the Unity port getting widescreen assets. He started it, and then @Scuba Steve joined, was faster, and was contacted by @sponge.

The work Steve did for WidePix was changed a bit for id, as the constraints of not changing the "inner 4:3 part" was dropped. These official assets are found here but the wording of the license requires them to only be used in .wad files. So GZDoom (and its .pk3 archives) stick with Nash's output instead of using the official ones.

I recall the widescreen assets available on Bethesda's website came with both the modified and unmodified versions, which I of course chose the latter for my autoload configuration for Crispy and Woof.

Alright, here we go:

Back to Saturn X Episode 1

DOOM0005.png.aefd624d7799a5a1d31c7945ec2cbb1e.png

Edited title and help screens to use the idgames graphics (episode name, help screen text) on the TITLEPIC and HELP graphics.

BTSX_E1_WS.zip

Back to Saturn X Episode 2

DOOM0006.png.dd9e6e9a83c761a2d0787da694d505c6.png

Edited title and help screens to use the idgames graphics (episode name, help screen text) on the TITLEPIC and HELP graphics.

BTSX_E2_WS.zip

On 4/21/2021 at 3:24 AM, OpenRift said:

Alright, here we go:

Back to Saturn X Episode 1

DOOM0005.png.aefd624d7799a5a1d31c7945ec2cbb1e.png

BTSX_E1_WS.zip

Back to Saturn X Episode 2

DOOM0006.png.dd9e6e9a83c761a2d0787da694d505c6.png

BTSX_E2_WS.zip

Thanks for these. I wanted to use the Unity widescreen assets, but I prefer the non-censored versions.

Here are the widescreen titlepics and interpic for Master Levels that Scuba Steve made; I believe hes touched them up since, but these are the versions I use in my Master Levels Upgrade Pack.

TITLEPIC.png.881ce8e2ada042bdc64d404fba83c48a.png

I use this one for the official Master Levels

TITLEPICnologo.png.9862c85ca421fe7a10e2ee92468d7aa2.png

I used this one for the Rejected Master Levels, as they aren't id products.

INTERPIC.png.4bbb56acbb84fb5f9aaf89993149c6a7.png

The INTERPIC.

23 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Thanks for these. I wanted to use the Unity widescreen assets, but I prefer the non-censored versions.

Here are the widescreen titlepics and interpic for Master Levels that Scuba Steve made; I believe hes touched them up since, but these are the versions I use in my Master Levels Upgrade Pack.

TITLEPIC.png.881ce8e2ada042bdc64d404fba83c48a.png

I use this one for the official Master Levels

TITLEPICnologo.png.9862c85ca421fe7a10e2ee92468d7aa2.png

I used this one for the Rejected Master Levels, as they aren't id products.

INTERPIC.png.4bbb56acbb84fb5f9aaf89993149c6a7.png

The INTERPIC.

This are pretty sick. I forgot, what source ports allow you to load the master levels as a compilation? I know GZDoom/ZDoom does, but do any other ones do?

Just now, OpenRift said:

This are pretty sick. I forgot, what source ports allow you to load the master levels as a compilation? I know GZDoom/ZDoom does, but do any other ones do?

I made wads with these titlepics for GZDoom and Crispy Doom and posted them in a thread a while back, but they are somewhat WIP; I didn't have anyone helping me understand dehacked fully, and couldn't find UMAPINFO tutorials, so there are some minor bugs in them still. Doom BFA has an option to assemble a masterlevels.wad from the individual levels, and Crispy Doom can read the PS3 version if extracted. My fix wads target both masterlevels.wad and also the individual wads. My combined version fix is going to need a lot of user work though, no way around it.

Also, don't forget Syringe, REKKR and Sigil :p Sigil's widescreen titlepic wasnt used in the Unity port due to legal bs, but its in Scuba Steve's folders for public use.

'High Priority' Widescreen assets I'd like to see:

Chex Quest 1 2 and 3 (Nash may be working on these, but it wouldn't hurt to also support the original Chex quest and its PWAD sequel)

Heretic and Hexen/Deathkings (Nash is working on these for the next GZDoom release, but it doesn't hurt to have alternative options for other ports. Heretic also has two titlepics depending on which version your using)

Harmony (Its an IWAD, so it deserves the widescreen treatment; maybe contact TV and ask him for a widescreen asset update?)

Hacx is done, and Strife has a titlepic thats mostly black, so those two are fine.

Lesser priority widescreen assets I'd like to see:

Hell to Pay and Perdition's Gate: These two are commercial PWADs that are often considered 'Final Doom Part 2' and I generally consider them partially official; they are basically akin to Hacx, but due to asset reuse, they cant run as IWADs.

Lost Episodes of Doom: This is another commercial PWAD, and while its not the greatest in quality, its never had its own TITLEPIC, so someone might have fun making one. There is a mockup TITLEPIC on Onemandoom's review of it, that could be a base.

Various classic megawads: Old classics should be first up on the list, stuff people still play today from the Top 100/Cacowards. Ive been making dehacked patches and MAPINFO lumps for these old wads that never had them to start with, and would be happy to add widescreen versions to make neat little quality of life fix wads for them; Stuff like Memento Mori (no titlepic at all!) and its sequel, Reqiuem, Alien Vendetta, the Plutonia and TNT sequels, Team TNT's other megawads, etc

5 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

I once tried making widescreen assets for Requiem just for fun, might as well post them here.

TITLEPIC.png

CREDIT.png

INTERPIC.png

STBAR.png

Awesome, I'll add these to my collection ;)

For Kick Attack:
M524QXF.png
DGmrsoa.png
*The title screen graphic (TITLEPIC) is enchanced.

They may look crappy.

Edited by Hitboi

1 hour ago, Terraformer9x said:

Here's also widescreen assets I did for D64D2. I wouldn't recommend using the TITLEPIC since I think the non-wide version looks good on it's own in widescreen.

TITLEPIC.png

INTERPIC.png

HELP.png

CREDIT.png

BOSSBACK.png

YEEEEEEEEES MY FAVORITE!!!

5 hours ago, Hitboi said:

For Kick Attack:
M524QXF.png
DGmrsoa.png
*The title screen graphic (TITLEPIC) is enchanced.

They may look crappy.

I was going to suggest Kick Attack as a joke, as it IS an official id release, but it was only one level, heh. Well, thats half of the Kick Attack titlepics done now, ha. There is one for the Doom 1 version too.

image.png.870e4a6dfdc715a14154d1270d5e81e3.png

(Two of OpenRift's wads were used here to update the thumbnails, thanks dude!)

And here is a zip for Syringe. Contains two wads, one for each of Scuba Steve's variants. The '_02' variants are in syringe_altws.wad

The opening post should be updated for new widescreen wads as they come in (a link to the Hacx widescreen thread would be ideal too)

syringe_ws.zip

2 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

Just did Eviternity now, I'm not too happy with how the BOSSBACK turned out so I'll just hope someone in the future does a better job.

TITLEPIC.png

CREDIT.png

BOSSBACK.png

STBAR.png

Think you can do Deathless' original WIMAPs? The one in the thread has the Unity versions.

Edited by Devalaous

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

Think you can do Deathless' original INTERPICs? The one in the thread has the Unity versions.

How's this?

WIMAP0.png

WIMAP1.png

WIMAP2.png

Awesome. I was dismayed to find out these pics were replaced with generic colourswaps in the Unity port.

Here is an updated Deathless widescreen pack: I renamed openRift's version to deathless_wsunity.wad, and deathless_ws.wad is now using Terraformer9x's ultrawide versions of the original pre-unity Deathless intermission screens. The TITLEPIC, INTERPIC and CREDIT pics are not the same width, and the TITLEPIC says 2018 instead of 2020 like the 4:3 version inside Deathless. I guess Jimmy updated that when the Unity version was made? Still, small details.

deathless_ws.zip

3 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

Just did Eviternity now, I'm not too happy with how the BOSSBACK turned out so I'll just hope someone in the future does a better job.

TITLEPIC.png

CREDIT.png

BOSSBACK.png

STBAR.png

So while trying to put these in a wad, I noticed that they dont convert properly to the Doom pallette. Opening up Eviternity, I noticed they are indeed in the doom pallette, and the credit screen there is bright blue, while your version above translates to a grey. How strange. Does Eviternity change its colours with the colour lumps in the wad? Not really used to advanced feature wads.

Eviternity has its own palette. So yes, this changes the colors of the its graphics. A quick and easy way to check that is to use the palette drop-down in SLADE when looking at its content. "Existing/global" should use the custom PLAYPAL, while "Doom" puts on the standard Doom palette.

Here's some HR2 wide stuff. At this point, I think there should be a repository started for widescreen assets for PWADs.

Sorry if this seems like spam but this thread really motivated me to do a bunch of widescreen stuff today.

TITLEPIC.png

INTERPIC.png

HELP.png

STBAR.png