Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1Destro3456

Wads/mods that feel like experiences

Firstly, to get to the point, what "experience" do I mean? If we use Google it gives two definitions: "practical contact with and observation of facts and events" the other definition being "encounter or undergo (an event or occurrence)". So, which do I mean? By what I mean on wads/mods that are an experience is the first one, though, that's a bit far from what I want to say on this. I want more of the involvement of how the map reaches you. Not only about the strategy of killing demons, the emotions that it transmits, the feelings you get from playing it. 

For example the Mucus Flow, it's such an experience that there are video essays on that map (se MtPain27's The Mucus Flow  video). This is a map you remember because of the things you experienced in that map. Like he says that it felt like drowning, that he even associated the MIDI with bad things on his life. It made him feel different, an emotion that he wasn't expecting from a map in a game that's about killing demons in while being a badass doing so. Also, don't make this thread only about the Mucus Flow or your criticizing of it there's a thread for that: 

Or how Death's Dichotomy  advertises itself as "5 Experiences for GZDoom" (it's good, play it) and the concept of that mapset was to explore on ideas and thoughts on death and dying, and @Bauul's map (the only one I have finished in the making of this post, I need to continue playing lol) nails it, the atmospherics and that MIDI are great for that concept, it's certainly an experience, and the constant thought of "If I turn this corner I will die" on your mind just follows you throughout the whole map, that feeling of dread and you having only the chaingun and 1% of health is haunting. 

Those two are maps I take, not only for the gameplay in Bauul's map, but also for the experience on both. These are some that made me feel different, have other emotions rather than shooting demons as a badass and experience the map in a different way. Anyways, I will stop because I think I might be redundant.

Why I made this thread? I made this thread for you to not only say what are those wads/mods that made you feel like that but also tell why (not precisely necessary but part of what I want to do with the thread) and for me other people to play them.

Refracted Reality and SigmaX are 2 off the top of my head, also Sigil, especially if played with Beautiful Doom and the Buckethead soundtrack

Zolgia's Happy, even though WAY too hard for me, fits the bill. Even worth it on Godmode, as far as "experiences" go.

I post about this one a lot, but The Shrine. Espi's magnum opus (IMO), a castle adventure map from the Eternal Doom IV demo. Incredible sense-of-place throughout, it's the kind of map I'd actively enjoy getting lost in. Even without monsters on, it's an experience and a half.

5 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

(and thanks for mentioning Death's Dichotomy <3 )

No problem, outside of it being one of the most recent mapping experiences I've played and the thread title automatically grabbed my attention when writing the post. I like it from what I played 

A.L.T. is the definitive weird Doom experience. I've written about it a little bit, but so far ella guro has said it best.

Also, here are a lot of words about why Whispers of Satan is an experience.

Lilith.pk3, Alpha Centauri - Deterioration/collapse of reality

Japanese Community ProjectTime Tripper - Playful weirdness

Three Is a Crowd - The human experience, hardship, self-sacrifice, empathy

Sheer Poison - Existential futility

Alpha Accident, 5till L1 Complex - Labyrinths within labyrinths, meditative searching

The Given, Grove - Puzzles, world-building, exploration

31 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

Grove - Puzzles, world-building, exploration

Grove is the first thing that came to mind. I'd love to see more wads that involve more exploration and puzzles and such.

Hell's Farthest Shore - The Command Center by L0rd Entropy. The skybox is awesome first off, and the shrines where the secret keys are located are just something else. The final fight is in as perfect location as you can possibly get, with the regular exit bringing much relief, even while uncertainty remains.

The Mucus Empire - please turn the lighting down and just turn monsters off because it gets stupidly difficult later and just travel through all the locales. There are some misaligned textures and other minor visual issues, but imo, they don't detract from the surreality of this extended tribute at all.

DBP34. See above for the KISS explanation. 

Fragor Portum, mainly when you get past map 04.

Bloodbath, partly because of the beginnings.

XXXI Cybersky, in spots 

Smatterings of Memento Mori II.

Ultimate Torment and Torture

Finally, Roger Ritenour's Phobos and many Chris Lutz maps.

26 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Hell's Farthest Shore - The Command Center by L0rd Entropy. The skybox is awesome first off, and the shrines where the secret keys are located are just something else. The final fight is in as perfect location as you can possibly get, with the regular exit bringing much relief, even while uncertainty remains.

The Mucus Empire - please turn the lighting down and just turn monsters off because it gets stupidly difficult later and just travel through all the locales. There are some misaligned textures and other minor visual issues, but imo, they don't detract from the surreality of this extended tribute at all.

DBP34. See above for the KISS explanation. 

Fragor Portum, mainly when you get past map 04.

Bloodbath, partly because of the beginnings.

XXXI Cybersky, in spots 

Smatterings of Memento Mori II.

Ultimate Torment and Torture

Finally, Roger Ritenour's Phobos and many Chris Lutz maps.

i second hell's farthest shore by @LordEntr0py. certainly a memorable one.

BTSX2 for me.  I understand it's probably not an experience for most seasoned doomers but it was the first proper megawad I had played.  Prior to that I had only played official things and whatever I could dredge up in the late 90s/early 00's.

Definitely Eternal Doom for me - huge gothic castles with a cool soundtrack and some new graphics, including a new HUD Doomguy. Everything about it still blows me away to this day. That anybody managed to create such gigantic maps for the original doom2.exe - especially with the older editors of the time, is quite a feat. Though the more puzzling elements are an acquired taste, they add a new dimension to the action for me.

11 hours ago, PSXDoomer said:

NUTS.WAD is a life changing experience.

i unironically love nuts and i can beat the first one pretty easily

if we're talking about "wads that feel like an experience" i would have to say brutal doom. not because its super mindblowing or anything, but its what got me into doom modding. I played the game a ton (on the steam version) and when I discovered gzdoom/doom builder/idarchives it opened a whole new world of possibilities

that and wow.wad