Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

11 hours ago, [McD]James said:

Holy shit, the boss battle with The End was so fucking epic. Maybe this actually is a better game than MGS1. 

It's one of the greatest games ever made, in my opinion, and you've still only seen some of the reasons why I'd say that. 

On 5/14/2021 at 6:10 PM, Arrowhead said:

Anyone here play HROT yet? I've been really enjoying it. Has a very unique aesthetic, albeit - its a little brown...

I bought it about two months ago, just restarted it yesterday. It's very brown, it's easy to get lost in, the weapons seem underpowered, the sounds need to be louder.

The grenades need a larger explosion radius, and they need to be less bouncy. Trying to get one in just the right place to blow up a cracked wall is a headache.

It's not a bad game by any means, but it does seem underwhelming. There's quite a bit of promise in it, but in its current state I wouldn't tell someone to buy it. It's atmospheric as hell, and I would never argue that it's accomplished that goal.

But as far as gameplay, it's not that great. Sadly, the creator has commented on the Steam forums that they're not that interested in changing some of the major issues that I have with it. Like making it so that you can't walk through railings, and enemies can't magically climb up fifteen foot vertical walls.

We'll see what happens with it. I think it could be really good, but right now it's kind of meh.

Edited by Jello : Edit: Added "place" to "Trying to get one in just the right to blow up a cracked wall is a headache."

1 minute ago, Jello said:

...Sadly, the creator has commented on the Steam forums that they're not that interested in changing some of the major issues that I have with it. Like making it so that you can't walk through railings, and enemies can't magically climb up fifteen foot vertical walls.

I wasn't aware of that. The fact that the enemies always walked through the railings kind of bothered me. I mean, it really wouldn't be hard to fix the collision for something like that... I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it  right now, as there's only one episode anyway.

Like you said 'We'll see what happens with it."

I think it has potential, but many a great game has been spoiled by their creators, you're right. I do find the game has some charm - I just wish it was a bit more polished, now that I've had some more time w/ it.

43 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

I wasn't aware of that. The fact that the enemies always walked through the railings kind of bothered me. I mean, it really wouldn't be hard to fix the collision for something like that... I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it  right now, as there's only one episode anyway.

Like you said 'We'll see what happens with it."

I think it has potential, but many a great game has been spoiled by their creators, you're right. I do find the game has some charm - I just wish it was a bit more polished, now that I've had some more time w/ it.

I agree, it has charm, and it has potential, and I hope it does really well. The fundamentals are there, but it needs work. Hopefully the creator doesn't get too inside their head that they stop listening to outside advice.

But yeah, I wouldn't really advise anyone to buy it at this point. Which sucks. When I bought Dusk in early access I was all over telling people they needed to play it, because it was just really damn good. Not completely formed, but really fun. With Hrot, I can't do that, it needs more work.

On 5/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, [McD]James said:

Metal Gear Solid 3. I've owned this game for a very long time but have only now just gotten around to it. So far, I like it a lot more than MGS2, but I don't think I like it as much as MGS1. 

I really need to finish that game. I bought it for the PS2 and ended up pawning it, because it required the dual shock pressure sensitive controller to actually aim and then fire. I was still using a PS1 dual analog controller because the one that came with my PS2 was crap, broke down shortly after I bought it, and I didn't feel like dropping $50 on a controller. But the PS1 dual analog didn't have pressure sensitive buttons, so I couldn't really play it. 

Got it again on Xbox 360, but never finished it. I should get back to it, it seemed enjoyable. I finished MGS 1 and 2, and despite 2 feeling more like a movie than a game, and Ryden getting really annoying, they were fun.

And then I suppose I need to finish MGR Reveangance, and MGS 5. Never going to play MGS 4 I suppose, I don't have plans on buying a PS3 anytime in the future, so unless it's released on PC, I'm going to miss that one. 

Yeah, Raiden was really annoying. His constant whining and girlfriend problems kind of turned me off of the franchise for a while. 

26 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

Raiden was really annoying.

Ah shit, I knew I spelled that wrong.

As well as some Doom WADs, I’ve picked up playing RCT2 Triple Thrill Pack again, aftershock couple of years off of it. Finally managed to beat the Build Your Own Six Flags Magic Mountain scenario quickly enough that the game didn’t crash when I hit the objective (seems to be over 10 years is bad, so I did it within 8). With that scoreboard now filled in, I grabbed and played the semi-official Panda World extra scenario, which was laughably easy. I’ve now resumed filling out the Expert Parks, doing the South America one from Wacky Worlds, which was easier than expected. 6 more from that expansion pack and then the 5 from Time Twister and I’ve completed that entire compilation. These have distracted from AoE: DE and Doom mapping, though, so it’s not all good!

16 hours ago, Jello said:

And then I suppose I need to finish MGR Reveangance, and MGS 5. Never going to play MGS 4 I suppose, I don't have plans on buying a PS3 anytime in the future, so unless it's released on PC, I'm going to miss that one. 

Now that my fondness for the MGS series has resurfaced, I'd really love to play MGS 4. It's bizarre that it's remained a PS3 exclusive for this long.

I beat Resident Evil Village recently, and I enjoyed it very much. I still think RE7's a bit better overall, but this was still a fair evolution of its predecessor.

Now I've decided to get on a game that made some changes that turned me off from it at first, but have read its critical praise has mostly been good and its getting a sequel soon, so why not: Shadow Warrior 2. While the first SW reboot game was more straightforward and I generally prefer that, I respect what SW2 is going for and I'm mostly having a blast with it so far. Although... I unfortunately have to take a point off for a horribly cringey fortune cookie I picked up that said "Wangs out for Harambe." Oof. OOF. Not just crude, but dated too. Hopefully, nothing else that embarrassing is in the game, but it's still early yet.

More Tekken 7:

?imw=1024&imh=614&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Was messing around with Paul the other day and I caught a plugger/ragequitter for the first time. Prior to this, my opponent activated his Rage Art (this game's super move) but I didn't jump in time (Akuma's RA was an unblockable so jumping is the only way to avoid it) so I lost a ton of health but still had a few left. At this point, I had to play cautiously but I accidentally inputted Paul's Rage Art and thought "Oh shit, I fucked up" but then it hits. But then I realized that he was actually in the middle of an animation and I was relieved because if it was blocked, I would have died. So I guess I got really lucky there.

I might consider having Paul as a second main (dropped Dragunov because I got bored with him so I'm a Bryan player now) just because of his stupid good damage output and I heard he's a fundamental character so I might be able to learn something from him. The only problem I have with him right now is that some of his moves are in quarter-circle motions so execution is a bit tricky for me. Another character I'm also consider maining is Julia just because she's cute (dumb reason but whatever) and looks pretty strong.

Well, I should finally be getting around to playing the Batman Arkham games now, but my WiFi decided to be a dick to me and turned off while I was downloading. I have super slow WiFi, so I won't get around to playing the game until tomorrow. I have also been replaying REKKR for DOOM on PS4 just for fun. 

Currently switching between Viscerafest and the Lost Civiliation WAD. Playing Valorant and Apex 3v3 areans when I can get friends together. Been real hard to consistently play because of my baby girl and being exhausted most of the time because of her lol 

I love her to death, but I miss playing for more than an hour at a time. 

Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, which is a fun spirited take on the Symphony of the Night formula, and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne HD Remaster, which I am happy with. Now and then you notice they did not update every texture, but I am enjoying it, it's my favourite JRPG of all time and it holds up. 

13 hours ago, hybridial said:

Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, which is a fun spirited take on the Symphony of the Night formula, and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne HD Remaster, which I am happy with. Now and then you notice they did not update every texture, but I am enjoying it, it's my favourite JRPG of all time and it holds up. 

Record sounds interesting, I'm a sucker for SotN. Closest I've played is Blasphemous. 

I'm hoping to pickup Shin Megami Tensei when it goes on sale, that price is a bit steep at the moment, that said if it was my favourite I'll pay it. (I paid full price for Berserk & The Band of the Hawk) 

Edited by Swordofdanu : Spelled Berserk wrong, what a doofus

12 minutes ago, Swordofdanu said:

I'm hoping to pickup Shin Megami Tensei when it goes on sale, that price is a bit steep at the moment, that said if it was my favourite I'll pay it. (I paid full price for Berzerk & The Band of the Hawk) 

That's fair, I was willing to pay that because of my circumstances, I have the money and I don't find it easy to find games relevant to my interests, and to be honest I never saw this game getting a remastered release on PC. Atlus might have sent it out to die if they expect a lot of sales, but at least I can play it. If somehow it does achieve some success, I'd hope for the Digital Devil Saga games.

Quake 1, only actually played Episode 1 (since someone made the shareware version a flash game.) so I finally picked up the full game on steam and am playing through it.

Picked back up No Man's Sky due to the current Expedition having a rather interesting reward. Already seeing some interesting things...

20210523215203_1.jpg

20210523220750_1.jpg

The bioluminescence means waves/curtains of light travel along the ground at night. It's so pretty.

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Picked back up No Man's Sky due to the current Expedition having a rather interesting reward. Already seeing some interesting things...

You are mean, i am struggling if i should by that Game for Months haha
Have to many Time intensive Games atm.

Currently playing:

On Switch

Final Fantasy XII

On PC

Final Fantasy VII with Remako Mod

Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams

Settlers 2

And here and there some Shoot'em ups, Beat'em ups and Top Down Shooters as Shock Troopers.

Just now, Azuris said:

You are mean, i am struggling if i should by that Game for Months haha

Anniversary will be coming up soon and that usually means a 50% discount on PC. (It's dirt cheap on consoles, but on PC, you have mods as well, and native 4K support, not upscaled like consoles.)

Don't pay attention to the criticisms the game had at launch, by the way. The game is VERY different now, and a lot more fleshed-out.

All the new and expanded content updates has been, and will remain, free as well last I heard.

4 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Anniversary will be coming up soon and that usually means a 50% discount on PC. (It's dirt cheap on consoles, but on PC, you have mods as well, and native 4K support, not upscaled like consoles.)

Don't pay attention to the criticisms the game had at launch, by the way. The game is VERY different now, and a lot more fleshed-out.

All the new and expanded content updates has been, and will remain, free as well last I heard.

I do remember it being a laughingstock when it was released back in... 2016? 2017? I remember the "broken promises" going on about it, so I never bothered to check it out. Then a few years later, maybe it was 2019, I had heard it had evolved quite a bit, and quite a few things that were promised for the original game were being implemented. I watched a few videos of it, and it seemed like something I might enjoy, so I bought it on a Steam sale. I played for a few hours, and it wasn't bad at all. The controls and interaction felt a little clunky, and of course there's very little information to go on at the start, but it was alright. It seems very tense, and it seems to have a hugely amazing depth and scope to it.

I'll have to get back to it eventually, but I really don't know when that'll be. I would love to delve a bit deeper at this point, but I just haven't been playing many time sink games lately; spending three hours to do one thing seems excessive. Although it does look like it's expanded quite a bit, and I would love to experience some of those visuals. I just don't know how many hours I'd have to spend to get to them. 

And good on them for making all expanded content free, it's a way to create good will. Unfortunately the damage may be completely done at this point.

Dev: "Hey, here's the stuff that we said was going to be in the original game, it took a few years, but it's free!"

Paying Customer: "Well, it was supposed to be in the game when I bought it, it just took you a few years to actually get it done. So, I've already paid for it."

Dev: "Touchè."

23 minutes ago, Jello said:

And good on them for making all expanded content free, it's a way to create good will. Unfortunately the damage may be completely done at this point.

Dev: "Hey, here's the stuff that we said was going to be in the original game, it took a few years, but it's free!"

Paying Customer: "Well, it was supposed to be in the game when I bought it, it just took you a few years to actually get it done. So, I've already paid for it."

Dev: "Touchè."

The devs are definitely guilty of selling the game they imagined and not the game it was at the start, but I still hold my stance now that I did then: It would have been so much easier for them to just take the money and run when they got seared, and instead they took it on the chin and kept updating the game - and have continued to do so long after when most AAA titles stop their developement several years after launch and have moved on to their next project.

In my opinion, that's admirable as hell. And a sign of their dedication to the project, even if it launched in a way less-than-stellar fashion.

No pun intended.

Unfortunately I burnt out on NMS when it released so none of the additions held me long apart from base building which is great. Wish I could erase my memory of it, well worth picking up now. 

I'm still working my way through the Expert Parks from RCT2 Wacky Worlds at the moment. The South American park wasn't much of a challenge, as not-very-limited space and easy finance aren't much of an obstacle to pulling in guests. The North American "extreme rides only" Hawaiian island park was the hardest so far, as it's easy to fluff the start and then struggle for money for a couple of years. Once you get underway properly it's easy though, as the guest objective is so low. The European theme park was a joke, as you can just delete most of the scenery, flat rides and pathing right off the bat to clear the loan and get the roller coasters and transport ride up and running. Then you just build a load of flat rides and chuck in a roller coaster to get the value back up. Nailed it in less than two years. Currently on the Australasia one, which they seem to think is a challenge, but buying just enough land to link the small amusement park to the more interesting Seaworld-style setup and clearing a load of unnecessary pathing from the latter to drop the loan has let me push up entrance fees and make plenty of money from shops whilst also making it halfway to the object guest count in 1/5th of the available time, all whilst clearing the loan.

I agree with Chris Sawyer - once you get over the customised theming, it becomes readily apparent that these scenarios were designed as art first, rather than playable challenges. Building modestly-scaled rides well and keeping advertising going, combined with clearing unnecessary paths and scenery (where that makes money) seems to be all you need to do to succeed comfortably here. You often get so much time to do the objectives that you can have fun for the last year or two, building ambitious rides and messing around with the scenery basically unfettered.

15 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Yep, there where a couple of newer Reviews out there that said the same.

The price is trending to stay at 30 Bucks on Sales.

Thank you for the Tip with the anniversary, will keep the Money back for that :)

I am not sure if i misremember it, but wasn't it this Company where a flood destroyed much of the Data?

52 minutes ago, Azuris said:

Yep, there where a couple of newer Reviews out there that said the same.

The price is trending to stay at 30 Bucks on Sales.

Thank you for the Tip with the anniversary, will keep the Money back for that :)

I am not sure if i misremember it, but wasn't it this Company where a flood destroyed much of the Data?

Yes, and it nearly took the game with it! Luckily they had backups.

The anniversary of the game is around late July, early August. Keep an eye out around the Steam summer sales time.