Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2021 Mentionation Thread

7 hours ago, antares031 said:

cacoward_runnerup.png.cded3d3a19c0ca3b6b4d05e6a7424fd8.png

Not a mentionation, but I'd like to propose a silver cacoward trophy for every runner-up. The quality of community-made contents has been improving year by year, and being listed as a runner-up definitely guarantees excellent quality, but only slightly weaker than winners. So I think runner-up deserves something a little bit more than a review on the side panel.

Definitly agree with this, having just a side panel for runner ups can sometimes inadvertently give them a little less credit even if one of them was actually not that far from getting one.

8 hours ago, antares031 said:

Not a mentionation, but I'd like to propose a silver cacoward trophy for every runner-up. The quality of community-made contents has been improving year by year, and being listed as a runner-up definitely guarantees excellent quality, but only slightly weaker than winners. So I think runner-up deserves something a little bit more than a review on the side panel.

Completely agree with this.  Because the main Cacowards are a top ten, on busier years you end up with fantastic releases not being awarded only because they weren't as good as something else, and not because they weren't brilliant in their own right.

Acknowledging the top ten releases of the year is extremely worthwhile, but the Cacowards have always also been about celebrating the success of the year as a whole, not just the ten best projects.  Finding ways to further highlight and promote all the great releases outside of the top ten is absolutely a worthwhile endeavor.  

15 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

A Lost Soul trophy, perhaps?

that sounds more like an insult than a trophy lmao

7 minutes ago, Gez said:

I want to mention Lee Jackson for most promising newcomer :D

+1

On 5/14/2021 at 9:46 AM, antares031 said:

Sounds like a good idea to me. At least I like the idea better than just leaving it as "Runners Up"

Actually on that note, I'd like to see a dedicated page for all the maps, projects, and other things that recieve a "Runner Up / Silver Cacoward" instead of being a sidebar to the main winners. So that they have a chance to be highlighted as well, even if they didn;t recieve the shiny goldedn caco this year.

On samedi 15 mai 2021 at 3:19 PM, rd. said:

(I'm kidding.) 

Make it go through ESRGAN so it's at the same scaling as the other icons, and it'd actually be a cute touch.

The Mucus Empire by @Nefelibeta

It's not perfect... you can still softlock yourself in a couple places, some of the fights feel more RNG-based than they should... but when you reach the top of that elevator and see when the map really begins, it's breathtaking. It's a slaughter love letter to The Mucus Flow and it's so far removed from what The Mucus Flow plays like that it might be alienating to the people who really love The Mucus Flow, but I think that's okay. The Mucus Flow was starvation and The Mucus Empire is slaughter, both accentuated by their love of slime and ooze.

Spoiler

Testing Pool by @yakfak

For fans of Archviles and blood rivers.

Spoiler

+1 Arrival
+1 Heartland

+1 for Bourgeois Megawad. I haven't played the multiplayer aspect of it, but the single player part is very fun. Some of the most action-packed, bite-size levels I've played in a while. There's not many maps where I do have to be constantly moving since enemies are all around you and there's no safe spot to pick them off. Plus, since you're forced to pistol start each level, you've got to scourer for weapons and ammo, opening yourself up to attacks. Very solid.

I'm a lurker and probably no one cares about my opinion, but +1 to Blade of Agony. It's been 5 years and loads of new content since it was last recognized, surely it's been long enough to recognize it again. You can always make up a new category for it if you don't want to take away from newer projects. 

Er, never mind.

Edited by Nate42

On 05/14/2021 at 9:46 AM, antares031 said:

I also support this idea. :)

but perhaps this will cause the
indirect creation of a third bronze version.

Practically all sports, Olympic or virtual
Video games have the 3 metal scales
and even a higher one called platinum.

6 hours ago, Maribo said:

The Mucus Empire by @Nefelibeta

It's not perfect... you can still softlock yourself in a couple places, some of the fights feel more RNG-based than they should... but when you reach the top of that elevator and see when the map really begins, it's breathtaking. It's a slaughter love letter to The Mucus Flow and it's so far removed from what The Mucus Flow plays like that it might be alienating to the people who really love The Mucus Flow, but I think that's okay. The Mucus Flow was starvation and The Mucus Empire is slaughter, both accentuated by their love of slime and ooze.

Reveal hidden contents

Testing Pool by @yakfak

For fans of Archviles and blood rivers.

Reveal hidden contents

+1 Arrival
+1 Heartland

Glad to see someone else with appreciation for Mucus Empire! You want something surreal, it sure does it's job in the beginning (not to mention everything after the area you described!).

On 5/15/2021 at 6:19 AM, rd. said:

For the promising newcomer awards

Reveal hidden contents

0t9ZUy4.png

(I'm kidding.) 

Not Eggodemon, I'm sad now.

ahem... there's no URE2020, or am i missed something?

great vanilla mapset for Ultimate Doom by @Zylinderkatze, with unique detailing style within vanilla limits. and not only that, the mapset is fun to play too!

we seriously need a special "vanilla cacoward" section, i think. ;-)

On 5/19/2021 at 9:19 PM, ketmar said:

we seriously need a special "vanilla cacoward" section, i think. ;-)

we award plenty of vanilla sets in our normal awards ;p

3 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

we award plenty of vanilla sets in our normal awards ;p

i was half-joking, but another half of me thinks that it is not... very fair to mix strictly vanilla maps with various limit-removing ones. vanilla mapping is very special art of crafting, and it deserves its own dedicated section, i believe.

on the other side, the same thing can be said about almost any format/style, yeah...

5 minutes ago, Catpho said:

3x3 (32)

Heh, thanks for the mention! Minor correction, though: it isn't quite a full 32-level megawad. The first one has 29 maps, while there's 30 maps in the second one.

6 hours ago, Catpho said:

Origamyde (Black N' Blanco)

Reveal hidden contents

10 hours ago, Terminus said:

+ Black N' Blanco

Oh hey, that's me! >0<

I'm surprised to find myself here, of all things. Though, this is definitively encouraging me to keep on popping more stuff :D

I'll drop a single-map WAD for the Maximum Doom 2021 community project, and make sure to take my time and finish + polish the (coming soon !) Shareware version of BNBII. Let's hope it gets as much love, if not more, as its predecessor ! 

hi. may i propose an annual cacoward for those that do a lot of teaching, sharing time and effort to help other people on how to make classic doom maps in doom, regardless in doomworld doom editing forums, youtube, etc? a tutor/teacher cacoward of sorts? afterall, they are responsible in giving birth to newer generation of classic doom mappers, thus keeping the doom community alive. just an idea. tq.

I propose doom for best community and doomworld best forum

On 5/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, terminator said:

hi. may i propose an annual cacoward for those that do a lot of teaching, sharing time and effort to help other people on how to make classic doom maps in doom, regardless in doomworld doom editing forums, youtube, etc? a tutor/teacher cacoward of sorts? afterall, they are responsible in giving birth to newer generation of classic doom mappers, thus keeping the doom community alive. just an idea. tq.

Mmm... Aren't the Espi award something similar?