Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

Which MegaWADs do you think should have it's own Custom MIDI Project addon soundtrack?

Glad to see plenty of Going Down music defenders, I'll also chime in to say that I actually really like the repetition of tracks in particular. It really gives the whole thing a definite musical signature, and tbh I wish more projects would do something similar (despite being a musician myself, I just find it kinda hard to recall any particular piece of music from most megawads, even when I'm digging the music in the moment).

Back on topic, I love the idea of a music pack for Cyberdreams. It's such a different kind of experience that the stock Doom II music is really not very fitting--the text file even hints that the authors were planning on doing music for it eventually!

On 1/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, Diabolución said:

Non-official content (for these, a compilation of already existing cool MIDIs is enough, I would say):

- The loose maps related to the Master Levels for Doom II.

- That E1 contest.

I disown the striked text of this post of mine. I mean, full replacement or bust!

Cyberdreams in general is such a cool concept deserving of both a music pack and improved intermission graphics, the current ones aren't that grand.

On 4/8/2021 at 12:05 PM, northivanastan said:

On the other hand, Valiant would be one of my top examples of a WAD whose reused tracks fit so well that they aren't worth replacing. Skillsaw might not have hired a musician for that mapset, but he certainly had good taste in MIDIs.

I'd rather contribute to a MIDI pack for something that entirely reuses Doom/Doom II/TNT tracks, or whose MIDIs don't really fit the maps.

On 4/8/2021 at 12:17 PM, stewboy said:

Especially in Valiant's case, as it uses 9 tracks either written or co-written by me, and I feel a bit weird at the thought of someone deciding that those tracks aren't good enough!
I do realise that a lot of the thinking behind these custom midi projects isn't just 'the music in this wad just isn't right' but is also 'let's all get some motivation to write some music for something' - but in that latter case, there's plenty of ongoing projects that could also use some new music!

I just want to clarify that i didn't want to insult Valiant's soundtrack at all (I didn't even know stew wrote tracks for valiant, though i did notice a few i hadn't heard before), my point was indeed that most of it isn't original so it could be a fun project, but i do agree with those counterpoints now. I didn't want to contribute to any negativity, intentionally or not, especially since i had no idea the topic would devolve into all of that regarding Going Down (btw i love that soundtrack, too).

Ive got the perfect project idea to make @Jimmy's soul hurt. Raven midi pack extension, but for all 12 episodes of the H-Zone exclusives. That's 106 midis!

18 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Glad to see plenty of Going Down music defenders, I'll also chime in to say that I actually really like the repetition of tracks in particular. It really gives the whole thing a definite musical signature, and tbh I wish more projects would do something similar (despite being a musician myself, I just find it kinda hard to recall any particular piece of music from most megawads, even when I'm digging the music in the moment).

Yeah I was wrong on Going Down midis. I previewed it on Woof recently and the music doesn't really get irritating. It's curious, energetic and quirky. But not overly quirky like I thought.

Also +1 for some Cyberdreams tunes. Might be interesting because those are kind of like puzzle maps so the music would probably have some specific gimmick.

On 4/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, yakfak said:

ALT and Eternal Doom could also use revisits on the music imo, not to discredit the original work or the fatboy slim MIDI choices lol

Eternal Doom soundtrack's problem is that they are some of the shortest midis for a doom project, even though ED features some of the largest and longest vanilla maps ever.

I'm trying to think of whatever megawads just have the default soundtracks appended to them. Having played Needs More Detail lately, I can say I wouldn't mind a music replacement for that. For Doom II, I'm thinking Fragport, Demonfear, and... I forget, did 10 Sectors have its own OST? It would be fun to create tracks for that which equal a minute or less in runtime!

2 minutes ago, Sotenga said:

I forget, did 10 Sectors have its own OST? It would be fun to create tracks for that which equal a minute or less in runtime!

What about a 3x3 MIDI pack, where the rule is that every MIDI must have only three instruments? Or 1000 Lines Community Project, but with MIDIs that have a maximum of 100 notes?

We could have a lot of fun with those sorts of ideas.

Just now, northivanastan said:

What about a 3x3 MIDI pack, where the rule is that every MIDI must have only three instruments? Or 1000 Lines Community Project, but with MIDIs that have a maximum of 100 notes?

We could have a lot of fun with those sorts of ideas.

Haha, those sound great! I really do feel like the musical aspect of Doom is underrated, but I'm glad more attention is being brought to it lately. I don't think maps like Misri Halek or The Mucus Flow would be as revered as they are without the musical element emphasizing how they're constructed!

44 minutes ago, Sotenga said:

Haha, those sound great! I really do feel like the musical aspect of Doom is underrated, but I'm glad more attention is being brought to it lately. I don't think maps like Misri Halek or The Mucus Flow would be as revered as they are without the musical element emphasizing how they're constructed!

Music plays a pretty big part in influencing how we think about a map. In Doom, I think one of the best examples Plutonia's map15 Twilight, which feels like a completely different kind of level depending on whether you play with Waltz of the Demons (vanilla) or Plummeting (Plutonia MIDI Pack).

I like to think I've contributed something of significance to the few maps I've created MIDIs for.

On 4/8/2021 at 2:53 PM, northivanastan said:

Actually, a Double Impact MIDI pack wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially if it was all original tracks, and there was a free WAD replacing the E4 tracks for Freedoom's version of it.

That would be indeed a sorely-needed excellent project, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

That would be indeed a sorely-needed excellent project, in my opinion.

If I ever feel like leading a MIDI pack project again maybe I'll get in touch with Ralphis about this.

22 minutes ago, SLOTH MARINE (CB) said:

Hell Revealed, because it just uses ROTT midis

Yes, but only if we can get Lee Jackson on board.

Alien Vendetta is a wad the really "deserves" to have a custom midi project for it.

44 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

Yes, but only if we can get Lee Jackson on board.

Would be quite funny to see Lee Jackson find out that Hell Revealed uses his music (and the fact that he would replace his own music from the wad).

30 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Alien Vendetta is a wad the really "deserves" to have a custom midi project for it.

Would be quite funny to see Lee Jackson find out that Hell Revealed uses his music (and the fact that he would replace his own music from the wad).

I think he knows, I mentioned it in a thread of his

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

As long as the music in Misri Halek is at worst only remastered, well as much as you can remaster a MIDI track, this should happen.

On 4/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, MattFright said:

I'm surprised nobody has brought up a Valiant midi pack at all from what i've seen, given it has (from what i know) no tracks made specifically for it

now i have another reason to replay that wad again

1 minute ago, lokbustam257 said:

how about Mock 2? i mean...

I'm not sure how we could make those MIDIs worse. And to make them better would miss the point.

Eh, enjoy the list:

-Scythe 1

-Valiant

-Mock 2: The Speed of Stupid

-Hacx

-Memento Mori 1 and 2

-Those Xbox Arcade exclusive secret maps

-Heck Revealed 1 and 2

-Equinox

-Plutonia 4

-Plutonia 7

-Plutnoia 3

-Plutonia 2 and the Revisited (who cares, i mean harmony has a midi pack)

-Scythe X (Erik Alm may get resurrected with this :D)

-Strife (it's megawad am i right?)

-Japanese Community Project (JPCP)

-Doom 64 (idk)

-Scythe 2

-Community Chest 1 to 4

-And maybe Epic 1 and 2

10 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

I'm not sure how we could make those MIDIs worse. And to make them better would miss the point.

then ask Hyena how he composed those music

Speaking of Epic 2, I hope Eternal makes Epic 3 someday.

Both Epic Megawads are S-tier.

The only way Memento Mori is getting new music is if we ask Mark Klem real nicely to make some more stuff for it to fill in the duplicates. Anything less is sacrilege of the highest order.

48 minutes ago, lokbustam257 said:

-Memento Mori 1 and 2

-Heck Revealed 2

-Plutonia 2

-Valiant

what.