Doomkid

Doomguy’s Face, Big HUD - Yay or nay?

What HUD do you primarily use?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the classic HUD?

• I play with the classic “grey bar” HUD with Doomguy’s face
    • I use a different HUD, but it still has Doomguy’s mug
    • I use a custom/minimalist HUD that removes his face entirely

I vary it around a lot depending on my mood.  Sometimes I really want to have the full screen and see an unobstructed view of everything, and other times I prefer having more detail visible.  That said I like keeping Doomguy in the HUD, apart from the personality it adds it really does help me visualize how fucked up I'm getting and how desperately I need health, in a way that just a number doesn't convey for some reason

13 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

That said I like keeping Doomguy in the HUD, apart from the personality it adds it really does help me visualize how fucked up I'm getting and how desperately I need health, in a way that just a number doesn't convey for some reason

absolutely this, it's genuinely a good visual aid. if it were just a number the search for health wouldn't be so frantic cuz...it's just a number lol

GZDoom is my main sourceport, but I made the status bar nice and big.

MMSsvhD.png

I used to use the classic HUD just because I liked seeing Doomguy's face at the bottom

I'm kind of indifferent to the face in the center, but I always use the full HUD. I believe that the big, chunky numbers for your three key stats are better than having a tiny font hidden in the corners of the screen, and I enjoy the tradition of how so many megawads design their own graphical replacement - it adds to their identity and makes them more memorable.

Spoiler

116678369_HUDs-AV.png.0567fbcf9b0418eff49257eb955e5769.png

1807934028_HUDs-BTSXE2.png.3d4e42242f00c314556502f67fd21906.png

670512057_HUDs-Akeldama.png.b130e1b35ce4625f5012a43a4378dc4f.png

569328321_HUDs-CPD.png.d76b51eb1460bee2a33d65d86b3b920b.png

659372898_HUDs-Interception.png.748655a777fefb8c2d440121210f1919.png

1 hour ago, Tarnsman said:

Original Hud. I look at Doomguy's face more than my actual health percentage to know how much health I have.

2 hours ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

I do miss Doomguy's mug telling me where I'm getting hit from.

These two posts about sum it up for me. It’s more effective than numbers at letting me know how I’m doing health-wise, plus I use it to tell what direction I’m talking damage from. I honestly wish more games had this.

2 hours ago, Endless said:

9PyNAMX.png

It’s probably some strange form of OCD, but I can’t stand it when the face isn’t centered.. Some really great mods move the face from the center and I just have to use the fullscreen minimalist HUD when they do!

A HUD like this would be perfect, although this one swaps all the numbers around to where they don’t belong, bizarrely..

https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1332

Does anyone know if there’s a mod for GZDoom that removes the ugly green rocks in the widescreen bit? Not even turning it a more appropriate grey, but just removing it fully so as to not conflict with custom status bars? If I could make just the grey bit slightly transparent it would be even better too!

29 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

These two posts about sum it up for me. It’s more effective than numbers at letting me know how I’m doing health-wise, plus I use it to tell what direction I’m talking damage from. I honestly wish more games had this.

It’s probably some strange form of OCD, but I can’t stand it when the face isn’t centered.. Some really great mods move the face from the center and I just have to use the fullscreen minimalist HUD when they do!

A HUD like this would be perfect, although this one swaps all the numbers around to where they don’t belong, bizarrely..

https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1332

Does anyone know if there’s a mod for GZDoom that removes the ugly green rocks in the widescreen bit? Not even turning it a more appropriate grey, but just removing it fully so as to not conflict with custom status bars? If I could make just the grey bit slightly transparent it would be even better too!

You just quoted the HUD that does that. NightFright's Fullscreen status bar is customisable; the split you see there is an option.

unknown.png?width=1246&height=701

This is the way I personally prefer it, but...

Turning split mode off results in a simple fullscreen status bar, and its 100% compatible with all the status bars made over the years. Widescreen status bars tend to break though.

The stats are highly customisable, letting you do dumb shit like this. I just wish the numbers would be at the proper bottom when split mode isnt on.

You can even make the bar transparant aside from the numbers if you wish, as well as enabling Boom's coloured changes to health and armour and various other settings.

An example of custom status bars working with the mod; this one is from CC2.

Edited by Devalaous

I prefer no HUD but that's not a option in Unity yet. (unless I've missed it) 

I like seeing the full size weapons. 

5 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

For more "vanilla" ports, I just use the good old status bar. 
For more modern ports, like the ZDoom branch, I use the althud.

^This in my case too.

A question related to this: I've been wanting to use the UMAPINFO fork decino uses in his video's and enable the overlay, but it isn't immediately apparent to me how to install it to prboom+ and get the overlay to look like decino's. Could someone give me like a step-for-step runthrough on how to make it look like that?

If you can't see the face, how are you going to know when you've gained 20 health or more while at the same time taking damage?? This is CRUCIAL information, people!

Jokes aside I concur with other folks here who've said that it just doesn't feel like Doom without the original chunky status bar. It's probably just nostalgia but I can't imagine playing any other way.

The vanilla hud for me is okay, it's a bit too big, but thankfully sourceports can change the size. But I go for a hud mod that does include the face because I feel like some of the charm of doom gets lost without that classic face.

13 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

kOMcrcg.jpg

I prefer something like this.  Minimal HUD with some icons, original red text, and messages at the top.  The face is optional for me, and I have it here because Eschatology replaces the face and I wanted to see the replacement.  I don't remember the last time I shrunk the screen enough to show the status bar to be honest...

Interesting. Somewhat related, but how did you get the nukage to glow from the ground like that? GLDEFS maybe?

Just now, Wavy said:

Interesting. Somewhat related, but how did you get the nukage to glow from the ground like that? GLDEFS maybe?

I use K8Vavoom most of the time (including to take this screenshot), and it has that effect built-in.

Just now, Remilia Scarlet said:

I use K8Vavoom most of the time (including to take this screenshot), and it has that effect built-in.

I see. Thanks for the info!

I miss the HUD now too, I love the gray and the red and the yellow. Plus the face.

Just now, Redoom said:

I miss the HUD now too, I love the gray and the red and the yellow. Plus the face.

Same, this is one of the things I love in Classic Doom

I can see why some people want it minimalist though, some people want to see the entire screen, plus you don't have to see the rock flat all over on widescreen.

It’s always been the original HUD for me, but more recently when it comes to DM, I’ve been playing with no HUD whatsoever. I’ve found that the HUD just gets in the way and since I’ve been doing this, I have not felt any disadvantage from doing so. 

Like others here it depends on the source port. If I'm playing GZDoom I'll go minimalist, but for more traditional source ports the classic Hud all the way. 

What I don't understand are the mods that add even more visual clutter to the screen.

I mean, how does a Hud like this make the gameplay better in any way?

15465142491851.png

(Project Brutality, apparently)

28 minutes ago, Gerolf said:

but more recently when it comes to DM, I’ve been playing with no HUD whatsoever.

What about using the alternate HUD (that is assuming if you are using Zandronum for DM). It has small numbers that don't reduce the field of vision.

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

What about using the alternate HUD (that is assuming if you are using Zandronum for DM). It has small numbers that don't reduce the field of vision.

I could use that, but I noticed that during DM, I rarely, if ever, look at the HUD. So I just minimize it completely. I’m not recommending it; it’s just what works for me. I also turn off messages, player ID, etc usually too though in DM. Less distractions I guess.