Doomkid

Doomguy’s Face, Big HUD - Yay or nay?

What HUD do you primarily use?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the classic HUD?

• I play with the classic “grey bar” HUD with Doomguy’s face
    • I use a different HUD, but it still has Doomguy’s mug
    • I use a custom/minimalist HUD that removes his face entirely

i used to play with the statusbar but recently started loving the advanced boom hud, even for casual play.

im a big nerd and love to see minimal details like if i have blue armor, berserk, ssg, monster count, items, secrets etc...

when i played with statusbar i found myself constantly pressing tab to check the kills.

also not limiting your fov is great, and seeing the entire weapon sprite is cool. 

despite this i still adore the statusbar's charm and i dont mind it at all! 

The only alternative HUD i really like that doesn't have doomguy's face is Crispy Doom's, in the other source ports it always either has too much stuff, or doesn't show one of the hud elements like the weapon slots. So unless it's a vanilla wad, i play with the traditional HUD.

(if there's some way to use the 'transparent' crispy doom hud in other ports let me know though)

I like my comfy cozy grey cinderblock. Only use a custom HUD if it's included with the mod I'm playing

I always pre-load Doom 2's HUD from this mod and the 150 skins wad, so, I play with the "classic" HUD with some little fancy enhancements and with a random mug.

Holy cow a lot of people enjoy the OG hud, respect!

I personally don't mind it but it's a bland hud if we apply modern standards, also the fact that some HUD mods are nice and not over the top kinda helps and keeps it fresh, i'll always love the face and the reactions.

Sometimes, I like to use the small Screen Size HUD in GZDoom, it's useful for weapons that use custom ammo made with DECORATE and it is also a simple HUD, it is also good with Action DOOM and Spongebob DOOM II.

7 hours ago, Wavy said:

I see. Thanks for the info!

yep, k8vavoom simply has GLDEFs for default Doom liquids included. because why not. i'd happily include brightmaps pack too, but it is too huge, and i don't have proper credits for it. T_T

52 minutes ago, ketmar said:

yep, k8vavoom simply has GLDEFs for default Doom liquids included. because why not. i'd happily include brightmaps pack too, but it is too huge, and i don't have proper credits for it. T_T

I really need to give K8Vavoom a try. I may even steal copy the default GLDEFs from K8Vavoom and copy it in my Doom Complete PK3. Thanks!

@Wavy you're welcome! if you'll find anything useful there, feel free to use it as you want to. it's in share/basev/doom/basepak.pk3

nothing really special there, you don't even have to credit anybody for that, it's just a list of flats. ;-)

Crispy Doom has some very nice options when it comes to Minimalist Huds, the one with the doomguy's face is still cool but I prefer the one without it.

Never personally been a big fan of the big grey bar. I'm partial to the alternate HUD options in Crispy and Prboom-plus.

xWy35RH.png

Classic 100%. When I need to snipe some close enemy at a very high or low position, I temporarily minimize it and then put it back immediately.

This is how I roll in 2560x1440 in GZDoom. The HUD scaling is one below what it is when scaled to fullscreen (5 instead of 6). I am pretty purist when it comes to this stuff but made this concession because if the HUD becomes too stretched when playing on a 27 inch widescreen, I can no longer get all the info at a quick glance. Anything bigger, and I have to move my eyes too much to the edges of the screen, which is not good in hectic situations :P And seeing a little bit more of the weapons is a nice bonus.

Also, playing with fixed ouch face.

Screenshot_Doom_20210529_030834.png.07a381ce51fddf306faf268b5783d43f.png

Edited by idbeholdME

Moment to moment, I usually play with no HUD at all, i.e. screensize maxed all the way up so the screen is clear of everything but what the marine sees. I find that keeping a loose mental count on or even just a 'feel' for ammo and health status and such helps to keep me sharp, and has become second nature over the years. That said, the last thing one wants to have on mind when the fur starts to fly and the shit really starts to hit the fan is maths, so at those times I'll use a HUD for critical by-the-second info. For this, I most prefer the minimalist Boom-style HUD which is available in one form or another in most classic ports, though when using a Z-family port I generally just settle for the basic icon-based corner overlay HUD standard to those ports.

Not that I don't appreciate the art qualities of a nice custom statusbar, mind you -- these I usually enjoy while viewing the automap (which also makes for a nice mental pitstop on actual ammo/armor/health status, by the by), which is evidently something I do more frequently than most.

It just feels wrong to play doom for me without the status bar and without seeing doomguy's glorious face. But at the same time, since I've been starting to record demos a lot more, I'm also inclined to used some pieces of the advanced HUD for informational purposes, and to see my current time. So this combo that i have right here is what I use about 95% of the time in dsda-doom. 

another big reason for me to have the status bar on is to see the cool custom status bars you mappers create, or enlist help to create. I feel like its a disservice to not use the bar when they implement them. at least that's how I feel, not trying to knock those who don't use status bars at all. :)

dsda.png

Doom feels totally different without the classic HUD so yeah it's totally needed. The only case where i can't use it is the Doom RPG mod with RL Arsenal since it kinda forces you to use the custom one that doesn't have a bar at all.

alternating between the standard, minimalist gzdoom hud with just the main numbers (health, armor, ammo), and the alternative one, which shows the weapon inventory, keys, kills and secrets too - this one mostly when playing wads i don't know well. the mug is nice of course, but i feel the classic bar at the bottom takes away too much from the screen.

Screenshot-Doom-20210529-164427.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210529-164449.png

I like the standard hud, but I personally prefer to see the full uncut weapon sprites, if it's possible.

So I tend to use mostly the GZdoom alternative hud, that's very un-intrusive on that regard.

I always have the status bar up, the game feels....naked without it, plus seeing the full HUD weapon sprites still feels weird to me, it looks like the bottom half of those sprites were meant to be covered and not seen, lol.

When I'm not using the default HUD I get confused and die more often, 'cause I can't see Doomguy's face so my brain doesn't feel danger or anything at all really

1, but also 2. Widescreen takes on the classic status bar are a blessing, and more people should make patches for old/new PWADs with them.

image.png.f3aa25e1817d9d8d22c758d5ed809a78.png

A good take on widescreen status bars is when people put extra info in the additional areas. For example, the time and kill/item/secret counters could fit on one side, and a compass or minimap on the other.

On 5/26/2021 at 5:09 PM, Bauul said:

Like others here it depends on the source port. If I'm playing GZDoom I'll go minimalist, but for more traditional source ports the classic Hud all the way. 

What I don't understand are the mods that add even more visual clutter to the screen.

I mean, how does a Hud like this make the gameplay better in any way?

15465142491851.png

(Project Brutality, apparently)

can't stand it when the visor gets cracks and blood splatters. nice visuals for sure, but i can't see a thing. especially combined with the tiny numbers.