Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMagicMushroomMan

Do profile pictures change your perception of a user?

i definitely do but it sort of depends on the user. For some people I have enough experience w/ them, or they have enough of a reputation, for me to have a grasp on them that might contradict the vibe their pfp gives off, and so the pfp kind of doesnt contribute anything to my understanding of them.

3 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

Hi there.

I'd actually just caught up on Rain when I registered to Doomworld, so yours was one of the two (that I've noticed) on this website that I was thinking of. :)

The other is @BaileyTW's.

On 5/24/2021 at 3:29 AM, Wavy said:

So if I say that the Earth is flat would you believe me?

I suppose anime characters do live in a flat world. It's made of paper.

14 minutes ago, valkiriforce said:

I suppose anime characters do live in a flat world. It's made of paper.

Ah. Got me there. Not to mention that my avatar is Reimu from Touhou, which is a 2D bullet hell. =P

I just can't decide on what I want mine to be so I change it alot. I will say until I saw @Doomkid's youtube videos, I always imagined him being Frank Zappa.

Yeah the thing about @Clippy's is that's actually a real picture of him.

I don't think a typical perception of me from this profile picture could be any different from what I'm actually like. ;p

This is two years old, I should probably make a new one.

I actually think its cool when people have the same avatar pictures for a long time. It gives them a certain uniqueness, makes them seem 'permanent', somehow.

and my perception is absolutely unaffected.

by the way, when @Doomkid will finally release his album, and start doing real music videos?!

I’ll change my profile picture if either I create a new flag myself or someone creates an animated version of my current flag.

12 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I recall Eris making birthday maps with many many cacodemons due to my cacodemon stock Doomworld avatar at the time. At least, I think that was the excuse.

cacolaugh.gif.2afc131d9581ffdc8c14bc8d32c2d677.gif

Does mine count as smiling? He dancing having the time of his life, look at him go

18 hours ago, ax34 said:

Yes. I like "smiling users" more.

I wish that I had a happier avatar :(

Absolutely not. You cannot judge a book by its cover, after all...

20 hours ago, Dubbag said:

I will say until I saw @Doomkid's youtube videos, I always imagined him being Frank Zappa.

And I've learned something new today.

When you see another person's profile picture, it can say a lot of them as well as their usernames - It does not describe them fully, but it gives a basic idea or a fundamaental that will allow you to slightly know them.

For example, I used to have a picture from a character I like of a videogame, edited a bit to look like an original character I had but because I sucked at art could not draw it myself.. ..and that does not say much because it is not like many people know me here so, I guess it looked cool.

But now I have this one, another original character drawn by a friend on my birthday.. ..which again, not many people know me here so I do not know what to say.

I guess it describes me though, and my username is kind of "old" on a way but I can not change it because I already wrote my TCTOA post and document with this name. (But nowadays I am Lain or LainKreuz, on few places I am VermillionKreuz, like my Pixiv account.)

On 5/24/2021 at 12:36 AM, Doomkid said:

It can be a bit jarring when someone who has had an avatar for a long time suddenly changes it...

I remember a time where I found a new intrest and thought it was cool to add something related to it as my avatar but my 2nd longest avatar makes me refuse to add it, so I thought adding a reference to my current avatar would be a better idea!

On 5/25/2021 at 11:10 AM, Clippy said:

I've been hitting the weights pretty hard lately

Ay bro you looking swole af. You’re no longer Clippy, you should be called Stapler.

4 minutes ago, VoanHead said:

Ay bro you looking swole af. You’re no longer Clippy, you should be called Stapler.

Staplers are my mortal enemy. Always taking my jobs

1 hour ago, Clippy said:

Staplers are my mortal enemy. Always taking my jobs

A stapler is the prison of clips.

Edited by Hitboi

To me, a profile pic is just a quick way to identify someone while reading their posts. It's a lot faster to glance at a pic than it is to read their username. Over time I start to build an understanding of their online persona and the kind of responses I can expect from them. Someone I'm familiar with changing their profile pic really messes with me sometimes, unless it's something similar to their last one as is always @Doomkid's case with his unending stash of Frank Zappa idolatry.

I've actually thought about this topic recently, on another forum I recently joined I seem to have acquired a sort of nemesis. This guy (or gal, don't know) seems to always disagree with me and will not hesitate to respond to my posts if they think there's something to argue about. Since I tend to be rather good-tempered and enjoy a good argument, I will often engage with them. The only issue is they have a default generic avatar so I will usually respond to them as I would anyone else without even noticing it's the same person again. I find it kind of hilarious, but I'm pretty sure they find it infuriating. What makes it even funnier to me is that it's a forum for a TV show, all we're arguing about is the mechanics of a fictional universe and nothing important to real life.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:36 AM, Redneckerz said:

I think it does and that it changes the kind of reaction you will make.

There can be a subtle effect for strong images like SGT MK IV's avatar; in other cases the avatar suggest's humour (e.g. ketmar's modern take on the Soviet emblem of the hammer and sickle) so I tend to assume such people are more reasonable and sane. In the case of those images I am totally unfamiliar with, such as those of Redneckerz, I can only judge by how they write. I used to use my own pic, as does leejacksonaudio, but more recently have reverted to Johnson the Black Cat as I am subtly pimping the Kittens of Chaos mod (WIP) and  let's face it, my own mug is pretty uninspiring :)

Just changed mine back again because I like it too much. And also I think it's the one most people who know me on here associate me with.

Ngl most people here make me picture them as a shirtless white guy casually jumping into a forest with a pack of coors light just by their profile pictures alone