Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacek Nowak (jacnowak)

HELIUM - new vanilla WAD (based on stuff found on my old machine!) [now on idgames]

I fired this up tonight. I really like it so far. I'm playing it in Crispy and it's pretty creepy actually, which is cool.

I'm running out of ammo quite a bit. A Berserk pack might be nice. I was at 1 percent and beat 3 Revenants with a chainsaw somehow, but then died to a Caco. I'm thinking maybe there is a rocket launcher somewhere, because I'm seeing rockets.  I'm playing on HMP.

I'll try again and see if I fair better. I'm definitely liking what I see though.

That map is pretty cruel. I just ended up without ammunition, surrounded by arch viles. But it's also pretty cool. Very vanilla, very well done. FDA on UV failed. I should probably know what I'm doing, right? Maybe I can crack this later. Will keep trying to change the odds in my favor. This is a good one.

Edited by sectrslayr

Not a bad vanilla map.  I would say it could use a little more health on the easier skill levels, but I made it through. 

15 hours ago, TheGreenZap said:

I'm running out of ammo quite a bit. A Berserk pack might be nice. I was at 1 percent and beat 3 Revenants with a chainsaw somehow, but then died to a Caco. I'm thinking maybe there is a rocket launcher somewhere, because I'm seeing rockets.

Ah, I know what happened here. Yes, somehow in all my testing I had a rocket launcher before this revenant fight, or at least a super shotgun and more shells. But I see that it's actually 50% chance you will have any of them at that time, depending which route you take, as you have a simple left-right choice at one point. I will place an alternate RL there. For now, you can run away from that fight and come back to it later when you're more stuffed with weapons. But it isn't good level design so I will fix it.

15 hours ago, TheGreenZap said:

A Berserk pack might be nice

There is one in one of the secrets ;)

3 hours ago, Kor said:

I would say it could use a little more health on the easier skill levels, but I made it through.

Yeah, good point, I'll add a little bit more health.

Thanks everyone for feedback, I'm glad people had fun. I'll make these two changes (alternate RL and more health) and post an updated map soon.

Cool map, dude. Not sure why you called it Helium though hehe ;^P Your progression is nice, some of the traps are good n' nasty and overall I had fun with it. My only complaint is it's not terribly interesting visually and I hope you take a bit more time to really beef up your maps thematically with something more interesting for the player to explore and gawk.

Thanks @Biodegradable for the video, watching people play my maps always brings a lot of joy to me :)
Regarding the name - I just have a habit of naming my maps after chemical elements or compounds. Other maps I made include Arsenic, Hydrogen, Lithium, Carbon Dioxide or Methane ;)
I just picked "helium" for this map as a word play with the word "hell" but in retrospect I should've probably called it "Copper" as it's red ;)

I updated the map (updated the file link in first post points to), no significant changes, just a little bit more health and ammo (particularly on lower skill levels) and an alternate rocket launcher. If anyone downloaded the map but hasn't played yet and prefers a slightly less cruel version, please re-download :)

18 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Cool map, dude. Not sure why you called it Helium though hehe ;^P Your progression is nice, some of the traps are good n' nasty and overall I had fun with it. My only complaint is it's not terribly interesting visually and I hope you take a bit more time to really beef up your maps thematically with something more interesting for the player to explore and gawk.

Ah, the plasma gun secret changes everything. 😀

9 minutes ago, sectrslayr said:

Ah, the plasma gun secret changes everything. 😀

Taste the fusion-powered blast of justice, demonic scum!

A pretty cool and well made map! I liked some of the cheeky trap designs in a few areas (though admittedly some were rather dickish like sticking an imp just to one side when you teleport).

A few extra health and ammo boxes here and there would make this map a little less annoying since there is several arch-viles littered around the map.

The cavernous design was awesome and I love the use of textures throughout. It really made a nice freaky hell-cavern vibe. :)

Just as a heads up: The trap near the yellow key (the lower one with pinkies) is incredibly easy to cheese as you can easily punch them from the ledge nearby and they can't do anything since their hitbox is too big.

Likewise, the red key is the complete opposite: The sudden rush of revenants with barely enough rockets on HMP does make that key a pain to grab.

3 minutes ago, jacnowak said:

Thanks @Clippy for the playthrough video, really enjoyed watching!

Thanks @DynamiteKaitorn for your feedback, really appreciated!

No problem, fun map - I liked it. It gave me a harder time before I had to re-record it - nice challenging map!

I feel compelled to try it again without secrets some day