• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Doom Zero

MAP26: Fortification

UV, pistol start, no saves

100% kills, 3/8 secrets 

We see the hellish cave textures make a return for the first time in a while in the starting room of this map. This is a pretty thematically varied map, we have some forts to go through as the name implies, but we also see a couple different cave textures, a lava-filled canyon, and a hallway of skin. All of it looks pretty good too. The switch puzzles were pretty fun in this one too, a step in the right direction from the previous map. We have one puzzle where you race to hit two pressure plates to unlock the way forward, and another at the end of the level where you have to hit a slightly hidden skull switch (luckily if you don't get it at first you end up in a spot where you can pretty obviously see where the hidden switch is). 

The combat in this one was pretty fun, although it was a little nondescript at times. The biggest highlight is probably the first fort, which is just packed full of all different kinds of enemies, most notably two mancubi on the ledges above, a pain elemental, hell nobles, and revenants. There's also a pretty sudden cyberdemon encounter in the intro room after you unlock the red key gate, where you will have to take care not to fall into the lava. There was also a pretty annoying archvile placement in the lava canyon, where you'll have to jump back and forth on platforms to hit the archvile, but avoid getting burned. It's not difficult if you get yourself oriented, but a good archvile usage nonetheless.

This one was decent. Maybe not a fantastic one, but it was a step back in the right direction.

MAP 28 – Suspension

Doomsday Engine, UV-Fast, Continuous, blind run w/saves

The third episode of Doom Zero had a continuous thematic shift between hellish realms and science-fictional environments. ‘Suspension’ was the last tech-base and the last fully-fledged level to play. It was a rather long and complex quest for keys, switches and secrets hidden inside a sprawling, multi-level installation. A sprint and brake puzzle acted as the warm-up, before a colossal concrete building with a chimney came in sight. The scenery had accurate proportions, interesting shading tricks, and smart use of basic textures, providing a believable representation of a power plant. It was one of the most breath-taking visuals in the WAD.

Spoiler

1482694610_DoomZeroMap28_01.jpg.2d088a2d3260d5e58c971347e404043d.jpg

A stuck Demon Witch door left no other option than to enter the structure, where progression soon became non-linear. The indoor areas had been arranged in a realistic way: I stumbled upon a computer lab, machinery rooms, offices, an overfilled crate storage and a toxic waste dump, with its drain channel reaching the back side of the structure. I found myself shooting enemies in complete darkness, but the light switch was just there to be triggered. The north-western part was particularly well designed, with interconnected areas over two different levels.

Spoiler

1751660775_DoomZeroMap28_02.jpg.437d89e1e18e8a25de4d245f51cfbe03.jpg

606121722_DoomZeroMap28_03.jpg.0aee082640a4eed732c117aee1c445d9.jpg

The population was a mix of hitscanners, a lot of Alpha Souls, and stronger demons, mostly Barons and Cacodemons. A strange fact was the complete absence of Doom 2 monsters. I did not feel combat to be lacking in intensity, but certain sections were an exhausting grind, with Barons behind every corner and Alpha Souls at point-blank range. The TEKWALL maze with pulsing light and invisible Spectres was especially tiresome for my poor eyes.

Spoiler

1809933584_DoomZeroMap28_04.jpg.8738f9672f2dca1f891faf71ffc0f19b.jpg

For the first time in the entire WAD, I died because of attrition and the lack of healing resources. This happened in the nukage filled room after the Red door, where a flock of Alpha Souls attacked heavily through a grating that impaired my vision, thus annihilating my low health. I died again after crossing the nukage to the blue switch room, because of another point-blank assault, so I decided to go in a different direction and come back later.

Spoiler

1230705738_DoomZeroMap28_05.jpg.ce2949ed469fa6e611badbcdbc5b46a8.jpg

I found a lot of secrets, including the megasphere, the overly complicated BFG closet and an invulnerability near the BK, which looked perfect for that cramped room with the switch. I could not pick up the soulsphere when I needed it most, so I did not bother getting it later. I collected all keys, activated all ugly faces and colour-coded switches, so I backtracked to the computer lab. The bars were raised and a Demon Witch face inside was marked as the “Door override”. The exit was open, but the level was not over yet and a final (in)fight with all the bosses from the first Doom was an appropriate conclusion.

Spoiler

435142036_DoomZeroMap28_06.jpg.ac12c43b4915bf528315c9dc0b575560.jpg

I liked the switch and secrets hunting, but combat should be improved by implementing Doom 2 monsters and relying less on Barons and Alpha Souls. Technically this looked like a Doom 2 map, but it might as well be an Ultimate Doom map partially reskinned and tweaked to include a tiny reference to the Demon Witch plotline. The gameplay felt different from the rest of the WAD: the puzzles were clearly disconnected from the main map sequence, and I sensed an unusual fondness for environmental representation. For these reasons, 'Suspension' is more likely to be that 2011 map that DASI-I reused for Doom Zero. MAP25 was probably made in a rush to fill one of the last slots. This would also justify the radical changes applied in v. 2.2.

MAP28: Suspension

UV | Continuous Play with Saves | GZDoom

A rather tightly-packed techbase map packed with a little over 200 demons, which is probably one of the most populated maps of the WAD thus far from my recollection. I noticed a rather interesting motif with the way it used lights, twisty corridors and Barons, lots of bloody Barons. Big pesky crimson idiots hiding around corners hehe. The close-quarters combat of this one got particularly nasty at points, but DASI proved to be a tad too generous with health, as I managed to prevent myself from getting my third, fourth or possibly fifth death of the run. I've honestly lost count, but I doubt it's more than five. The secrets, or at least the ones I found, were pretty neat except for one. Those of you who watch my videos will know what I'm referring to. Couldn't figure that Soulsphere one out. I thought the surprise double-boss fight at the end was a neat surprise.

As I believe in the power of persistence, Ill just nominate +++Base Ganymede another time because it definitely hasn't been done before.

Edited by LadyMistDragon

MAP28 – Suspension

Anyone else get major TNT vibes in this one? I’ve felt it throughout the whole set really, but looking at the layout of this one and the doomcute office supplies, really feels like Administration Center. The layout was amazing, but some of the combat was grindy. Would it kill you to put some Hell Knights instead of Barons? Those ammo sinks were everywhere! Even in tight spaces! Sometimes they couldn’t even move! Dare I say it, an AV would have been more fun in some of their places. This is a minor quibble though, I still enjoyed my time in this level. The multi-level platforming area (with a secret BFG!) was masterfully built. Progression was a bit puzzley in spots, but that’s to be expected now. Some cool secrets in this one, many of them involve barrels. I had a hard time figuring out where the exit was, but once I teleported there, I was in for a showdown. The Cyberdemon and Mastermind fell to the same BFG ball, and a (you guessed it) baron was the last man standing (other than Doomguy, ofc). I didn’t even notice the lack of D2 monsters until I read this thread this morning, other than wondering about the high concentration of Barons. Never occurred to me to ask “Hey, where’s all my mancs, ‘trons, revenants, AVs?”

13 hours ago, Zirtonic said:

+++ Running Late 1 & 2 would fill up 23 days but I don't have any ideas for the remaining 7

Well, Heartland is 7 maps long (which also might pair well with Clandestine Castle Crashing which is 22 maps)

2 hours ago, Horus said:

Well, Heartland is 7 maps long (which also might pair well with Clandestine Castle Crashing which is 22 maps)

I was thinking the same thing. +++Heartland if there's any space for it anywhere (I guess this is in addition to my CPD vote a few days ago, but I've seen people do this before)

I'm casting a second vote for +++Clandestine Castle Crashing. I....don't want to pass this on for the second month in a row and it seems CPD's maps...are a little on the long side.

Map28 - Suspension

Spoiler

Doom_Zero_MAP28_map.png

This is one crazy techbase. I loved how large and sprawling it was, at first it was a bit overwhelming with the plethora of switches, keys and secrets but once I got my bearings it wasn’t too hard to figure out where to go and what to do. All the different areas were very distinct so it was easy to avoid getting lost as I found myself playing through the level. One problem that a lot of people have brought up that I have to agree with is the lack of enemy diversity. Very surprising to have no Doom 2 enemies here which could really spice up the combat a bit (especially for a level that is so close to the end of the game). I do love the look and progression to the level though with all the twisting corridors and shortcuts that open up, some great secrets too, so overall I like the map. Also the scene at the end was very fun. Somehow the last enemy left was a hell knight (there's too many hell knights!). Looking forward to finishing up Doom: Zero. So far so good!

Now to cast my vote. I'm gonna be very busy with work next month, so I'm also going to vote for a collection of smaller wads as well so if I can't participate fully hopefully I can at least complete a smaller wad. Sorry for making the things harder on you @dobu gabu maru.

+++Heartland - Ashamed to say it but I haven't played many skillsaw maps (just the intro levels to Ancient Aliens). Mt. Pain's youtube vid piqued my interest.

+++ Running Late 1/2 - I like wads with a silly story so this one sounds right up my alley.

+++ Clandestine Castle Crashing - I love castle themed maps, bring it on.

+++ Biowar and HellCore 2.0

Back to Doom Zero writeups.

Map 21: 100% kills, 8/9 secrets

Did you pay attention to the color coding of the WALK and RUN signs?  It takes the guesswork out of the jumps to the later areas.  Not that it's a big deal since there's no fatal consequence for missing a jump from the center.  Not even a damaging floor.  The only loss is the time to take a lift back up to the center.  Which may be enough of a penalty for the really impatient player but anyone that impatient would have likely bowed out long before this map.

Instead, the difficulty goes into the monster placement, especially from pistol start.  Even with my way of finding the safest and cheesiest ways to win, some of the encounters took effort on my part.  The star shaped chamber at the end is especially dangerous with multiple revenants in an awkward space for shaking off their homing missiles.  Unless one locates the secret to trivialize the encounters there.

New monster makes its first appearance here.  The Doom wiki calls it the alpha lost soul.  When they attack, they spew their shots steadily until the target breaks line-of-sight.  The attack rate is maybe about a third of the arachnotron.  Much easier to dodge between shots but still frequent enough to cause a lot of damage if blindsided by one.  Their melee attack piles on damage fast if you have the misfortune of being close to one.

I find these a lot of fun to fight.  Similar to -fast cacodemons but smaller hitboxes and less HP.  Their death animation is also satisfying.  They seem to like hanging out with regular lost souls and pain elementals (talk about being swarmed with skulls) though of course they will show up elsewhere.

Another tricky batch of secrets to figure out.  I still don't know how I found the way to the plasma rifle with the invisible teleport line if approached from the obvious angle but I did somehow.  It was a different secret that eluded me.  I could see it on the automap but didn't work out how I could enter it.

MAP27: The Junction

UV, pistol start, no saves

100% kills, 6/8 secrets 

If you're like me and thought the idea of MAP06 was really cool but could have used some more fleshing out, then you're in luck, because MAP27 has got you covered and does a pretty damn good job of it too. You begin in a Tricks and Traps-esque starting room with doors in all directions, but there's only one way to start really and it's the way the arrow is pointing. You are soon faced with a choice of which key to take, but the choice doesn't make a huge difference in the end. Each one unlocks its door within the intro room, and leads you to a different MAP06-like encounter with monsters unable to see you. In each room though, there are sound-blocking linedefs (I assume that's how it works at least) that allow you to gun down the demons near the exit to the room without alerting the others, take the weapon at the end, and grab the keys you didn't grab along with other goodies. From a pistol start, it is a good route to just charge through each of the key rooms and grab their ending weapon, and then come back to take care of all the monsters and hit the switch they are guarding.

After you finish off each room and hit the switches, you are able to grab a BFG to the side, and then tackle the switch doors, with the proper order being left to right. The leftmost door takes you to yet another MAP06 type encounter but, like the blue key route in MAP06, a switch will crush the enemies. You just have to not be tempted to shoot the lost souls that will try to intercept you on your way to the switch, and then hit it to dispose of them easily. Nearly half the monsters in the map go down here. I do have a bone to pick with this room, I believe it is possible to soft-lock the map if you attempt to backtrack where you came from and pass through the door while the crushers are in an impassable state. This will stop the crushers while they are too low to walk under to progress, and I was unable to find a way to start them back up. On a positive note though, I also have to call out a secret in this room hidden behind a slightly different red texture, because it is a very cool idea. You have 3 wall panels with different symbols on them, and different goodies in front of them. Between you and these walls are a bunch of teleporter textures with the same symbols on them. What you have to do is follow the path outlined by whatever wall has the goodies you want in front of it, and once you get to the end the other walls will raise leaving you only with the ones you picked. A wrong step will simply teleport you back to the beginning. Super cool idea here.

The middle route takes you to another cool room. The room is pitch-black save for the areas beside some helpful torches. You must navigate your way from torch to torch while lost souls lurk the room. Luckily the lost souls are visible no matter the lighting of the room. However, you will not be so lucky once the spectres and arachnotrons come in. I actually really liked the dark spectre encounter, you can manage it by sticking close to the torch and waiting until you see them to fire with your SSG. It's not very hard but it is strangely nervewracking nonetheless. The arachnotrons are a little more annoying, as you can only really see them once they start firing. At the end of the room is a door that you had opened with a switch in the previous room, and past here is a switch to unlock the way forward in the rightmost room.

The rightmost room features a dark ominous hallway with a baron. It's definitely easy to tell that he won't be the only threat here, and sure enough when you hit the switch the room is swarmed with 3 archviles on your way back. Definitely the best time to use the BFG you acquired. That's all there is to this room though, as now you just need to progress to the beginning room and go in the reverse direction from where the arrow points, and cliff-stairs will raise leading you to the techbasey exit.

Really good one, I was glad to see the ideas in MAP06 explored to a greater degree, and DASI-I did a stellar job of doing so. There was a lot of creativity in this map and I had quite a bit of fun with it.

MAP 29 – The Rematch

The map name and the soundtrack, a Project: Doom remix of “Sign of Evil” played on MAP20, suggested that the time had come for the final confrontation with the Demon Witch. This was a rather small level, with two side quests to undertake in any order. The RSK was guarded by Lost Souls and Arch-Viles in a winding cavern. The BSK required a careful approach in a vine-covered marble maze full of Alpha Souls and with a trio of Revenants on ledges.

Spoiler

650339216_DoomZeroMap29_01.jpg.5fd4c0a7c09c5a5287c693d829e8adfa.jpg

The skull keys unlocked a flamboyant catwalk to a teleport, and it was just a matter of seconds before she appeared. The Demon Witch head was there, still invulnerable, mocking Doomguy for his relentless fight against her. In an inconvenient position I could see a switch. Pressing it opened the way to another switch in a caged corridor. This was used to expose the Demon Witch heart, which was the right place to pump rockets. Easier said than done. By the time I reached the second switch, the area was already teeming with monsters.

Spoiler

635698334_DoomZeroMap29_02.jpg.0251dc48e10833e66a29df9e1841f13c.jpg

It took me a lot of attempts to succeed. -fast is always a tragedy with Icon of Sin maps and with this setup it was impossible to ignore enemies or avoid alerting the monster spawner. On the contrary, the procedure required moving swiftly in a confined space, with monsters popping out and getting in the way in the worst moments. It baffled me that monsters did not telefrag each other or my Doomguy, then I remembered I was playing MAP29. This had unpleasant side effects, like being hold in place and killed by a monster spawned inside the player.

It was very luck-dependant since a single Pain Elemental or Arch-Vile usually meant game over. Even Mancubi and Arachnotrons required immediate attention because they could kill me in seconds if left unattended. Eventually it was a long infight caused by a Mancubus with a Baron and Cacos that opened the time window to blow up the Demon Witch’s heart.

Spoiler

1542851967_DoomZeroMap29_03.jpg.774d5062f143461ca3639dbf81a89b9c.jpg

A neat finale, more or less what I anticipated. One or two gimmicks, or some real platforming puzzles, could have been added to chill out and grow anticipation for the imminent battle. Considering the fondness of the Demon Witch for trickery, it was a strange omission.

MAP29: The Rematch

The Demon Witch returns for an epic battle that turns out to be a bit tricky thanks to the constantly spawning demons in a rather awkward and tight arena that certainly took me a few goes to find a good rhythm and killed me a fair few times. Thankfully, things are tight enough to have infighting play a pivotal role, but you've gotta make sure the area doesn't get too populated, or you have fuck all room to maneuver in time with getting to shooting the exposed heart. A touch little fight to be sure and she's a bit tougher than the old Icon of Sin where you've got to hit her about 10 times or so, I lost count rather quickly. There's still another map left to go but we've killed the new boss already, so I'm not sure what to expect with the final map.

IuOcx1U.png

Incidentally, the face the Demon Witch pulls when you shoot the heart is hilarious.

Incidentally, since my original nomination falls short of 30 maps, I'm going to change my vote. Apologies to @dobu gabu maru for the inconvenience. Instead, I'd like to suggest +++Bourgeois Megawad.

Edited by Biodegradable

MAP29 – Rematch

The Demon Witch is back! Unlike her last appearance, the map prior to the fight is more combat-focused instead of puzzle-focused. There’s a room with Lost Souls and Arch-Viles, giving a red  key and SSG, and a room with Revenants and Alpha Souls that gave a blue key, chaingun, and plasma gun. That’s it though, before the sorta-IOS fight. There’s not much ammo around so once its used its used, be careful to kill the witch pretty quickly. It was very enjoyable though. The battle arena was pretty too, which makes sense since this doesn’t need a huge open space the size of an IOS to work around.

Map29 - The Rematch

Spoiler

Doom_Zero_MAP29_map.png

Though I liked the boss fight but I feel like the lead up to it was a bit of a letdown. I actually kind of liked the archville room (reminded me of the archville nest in Map12) but the alpha soul room was just plain annoying. The mechanic of exposing the boss weak point was pretty fun but I wish there was a bit more buildup to the boss fight itself. Since the whole game up to this point was mostly puzzle/switch hunt focussed I was sort of expecting more of that, more exploration and more combat areas to explore. I guess a simple boss is more in keeping with the old school style though. Also the face the witch makes upon death was great (like @Biodegradable mentioned).

CPD is at 2 votes

Clandestine Castle Crashing is at 2 votes

Running Late 1 & 2 is at 2 votes

I figure if Clandestine or Running Late wins, it'll be paired with Heartland.

13 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Apologies to @dobu gabu maru for the inconvenience. Instead, I'd like to suggest +++Bourgeois Megawad.

The @ is appreciated as it gets my attention, but if you're changing your vote I typically need to know what it was changed from, and I'd recommend not editing your original post just so it doesn't look like Bourgeois is actually getting two votes. Vote changing is usually not a big deal for me until I make a post like this that acts as the current tally, so it's not an inconvenience—this is just something to remember for next time :)

I'd also like to remind people it's "+++" not "+ + +". No one has done that in this thread, but the latter has been used before and doesn't pop up when I ctrl+f, which drives me up the wall >:(

I'm not sure how the 3 WAD max is implemented but if Running Late 1&2 count as a package deal then I'll happily throw in a vote for +++Base Ganymede, partly because I'm itching for a good Ultimate DooM WAD and partly because it would add to the vote chaos.

31 minutes ago, Zirtonic said:

I'm not sure how the 3 WAD max is implemented

Every downloadable .wad file counts as "one wad". If Running Late 1&2 are one file, they count as one wad. Two files = two wads, etc.

Map 22: 96% kills, 8/8 secrets

Alpha lust souls make for a hot start, yo.

This map lets the player take it at their own pace.  Stir up the whole map at once, take it slow and alert as few enemies at possible at a time, and anywhere in between; the choice is yours.  If one does go for a fast pace, there is usually something attacking you in every new area you venture into.  Only place I really found challenging is the lock-in with revenants and alpha souls (a prime place to use the invulnerability, if you find it).  But I'm playing HMP continuous, challenge isn't my motivation to begin with.

Rather, it's uncovering all the hidden areas where I get engaged.  Even the required progression is more puzzley that your typical fast-food Doom map.  That portal connecting the white rock region to the red rock region that might have been a secret in an earlier map is required to complete the map.  Nice variety in secret placement, generally requiring different methods to reach each one.  One area with a megashpere is a visual standout, worth the effort it took to find it.  I found all the secrets without finding all the monsters somehow and decided there was no profit in seeking them out.

MAP30: The Sarcophagus

At the end, DZ does a cute job here of linking the end of the WAD's story to that of Doom 2016 by having the demons lure you into a trap and seal you inside the titular sarcophagus. Not really much to say here, it's just a long windy cavern filled with low-tier demons and ends with a couple of Barons. The fact that there's no health and it slowly wittles you to almost nothing is probably symbolic in a way as you're too weak to fight off the sarcophagus itself sealing you in.

All right, that's all Doom Zero wrote! Time for my Top Favourite Maps in Chronological Order:

• MAP02: Toxic Tower
  • MAP05: The Pits
  • MAP08: Module Base
  • MAP09: Ancient Archives
  • MAP12: Underland
  • MAP15: Peak Facility
  • MAP17: The Testing Labs
  • MAP22: The Cracks
  • MAP24: Booster Hub

Conclusion

REALLY enjoyed Doom Zero. It does do an excellent job of feeling like a classic continuation from Doom 2 while bringing its own identity into the forefront with a new but familiar antagonist we can all recognise, along with the use of the Alpha Soul demon, the recurring puzzle elements and tweaking of weapons that really elevates the experience in one neat little package. It's a fair bit easier than I expected from a community-made WAD but given the overall mission of the WAD itself, the difficulty level makes complete sense and I applaud @DASI-I for the incredible effort putting this thing together by themself. Doom Zero is a terrific megaWAD that any self-respecting Doomer who deeply appreciates the look and feel of the original IWADs should play before they die. Simply delicious :^)

MAP 30 – The Sarcophagus

Beholding the blood-splattered remains of the Demon Witch and the wreckage of the final battle chamber, I asked myself what this level was going to be about. There was only a way out through twisting and turning caves. The tunnels seemed to plunge deeper and deeper into the ground, with small enemies slowly chipping away at my limited health.

Spoiler

585118191_DoomZeroMap30_01.jpg.141fbb2963f7528fcdf8cf3228a92665.jpg

I was almost dead when I destroyed the nth iteration of the Bruiser Brothers. I saw a gothic crypt with two giant, rotating skull lollipops at the sides. I entered and finally found a place to rest: the map’s eponymous ‘Sarcophagus’. I fought up to this point, only to enter my own tomb? Then I remembered that the Doom Slayer from Doom 2016 awakens inside an ancient sarcophagus, so this is the (now official) connection to that plot line. All right then.

Spoiler

1294401607_DoomZeroMap30_02.jpg.70c0518b5556f16346c0513d509396ff.jpg

Final Thoughts

The overall impression from this playthrough is excellent. I have not played a lot of recent PWADs, so I might be overestimating its quality and originality, but many of the ideas are something I have never seen before, at least not implemented to this extent. For example, face coded switches have surely been attempted, I can even remember maps in No Rest for the Living that use them that way, but the author established a method and sticked to it with consistency throughout the map set.

I like the mapping style of Christopher Golden: it bears close similarities to the IWADs by keeping the layout simple, not overfilled with lines and level changes just for the sake of beauty. It is functional and visually pleasing, gets the job done pretty good. The greatest effort has been put into creating puzzles, which were always entertaining and impeccable, especially the mandatory ones where a special attention has been given to clarity. Secrets were also a highlight of Doom Zero: always fascinating, in some cases more challenging than the maps themselves. I have learned a lot about secret hunting thanks to this experience.

The maps are all engaging and of general high quality, with only MAP25 being somewhat disappointing. Still, the last third of the WAD felt less polished than the first 20 maps. The author himself admitted he made the last levels in a shorter time span, trying to finish the project in time for Doom 25th Anniversary. He had enough experience to build maps at a quicker pace by then, but after the first Demon Witch encounter the levels lose that unique balance between puzzles, good combat and visuals that has been building up and culminating with the intensity of ‘Quantum Processing’. They are still good in their own way but cannot compete with what has been established before.

From a combat perspective I have been challenged in the right way, probably kicked in the teeth a handful of times because a trap caught me off-guard. A blind, continuous playthrough on -fast was not only possible, it was even enjoyable, which is not something I can always tell. No situation was so difficult to put me on the edge and require more than a second attempt to be positively overcome, except for the Demon Witch battle which was inevitably hard.

Monster use and placement was effective, with Alpha Souls being a heavy addition to firepower in the last third. However, I have rarely seen a Pain Elemental or a Mancubus used in a compelling way, while Arch-Viles, Arachnotrons and Revenants were giving me the hardest time. I have never seen a wall lower with a horde of hellspawn coming out: this is not the trap to expect from this WAD, which prefers to surprise the player with quick assaults of relatively small numbers of monsters. The teleport forewarning pentacles are a nice idea; initially I thought they spoiled the ambush but, as the maps progressed, they were still capable of unsettling me by inducing wrong assumptions.

The sound mods and weapon tweaks were awkward at first and eventually I did not care for them too much. Silent Plasma gun and Arachnotrons were good, while the chaingun was a little less effective for stun locking monsters. Getting back to the classic one was a relief. The standard soundtrack was ok, since it wisely distributed stock music between the maps, including a couple of remixes from Project: Doom.

Doom Zero is a great WAD for vanilla aficionados that want some novelty. It has a nice difficulty on UV, nothing unmanageable if you have played IWADs long enough. Puzzles and secrets are a good training for more hardcore projects. This is recommended for all Doomers who look for traditional gameplay, with a twist.

My favourite maps:

MAP 09 – Ancient Archive

MAP 10 – The Leap Gates

MAP 14 – Crust

MAP 19 – Quantum Processing

MAP 22 – The Cracks

MAP 27 – The Junction

Other standout maps:

MAP 03 – Marble Zone

MAP 07 – Claustrophobia

MAP 08 – Module Base

MAP 12 – Underland

MAP 18 – Atom Transporter

MAP 26 – Fortification

MAP 28 – Suspension

Edited by Book Lord : Added favourite/standout maps

+++ CPD. Cheesewheel makes some niceee levels. This looks like a lot of fun! I swear I will comment now if CPD wins.  >.>

Would it be considered poor form for me to chime in and vote for +++CPD, since I did not participate in this month's proceedings? What's the etiquette here?

I did not want to hold the balance of this vote, since I am not so sure I can contribute for the whole next month. After the last votes it seems we have a winner, so I give some nominations for the runner-ups (3 WAD nominations):

+++Base Ganymede

+++Bourgeois Megawad

+++Clandestine Castle Crashing

50 minutes ago, Omniarch said:

Would it be considered poor form for me to chime in and vote for +++CPD, since I did not participate in this month's proceedings?

Nah mate, you can nominate a WAD if you want to. It's all good in the hood.