Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Michael Jensen

Essential stuff for fans of Lee Jackson

Thank you for posting this. Just came across it now. Cheers. :)

Bullet Dam might be the new best DN3D track ngl.

29 minutes ago, Rampy470 said:

Bullet Dam might be the new best DN3D track ngl.

Indeed. I couldn't describe how excited I was when it was announced that Lee will be doing a new soundtrack, and in the first 2 seconds of Bullet Dam, I knew it was going to be amazing. 

Lee Jackson recently made a DW account: leejacksonaudio and has been posting in various forums. And yes, Bullet Dam is very very good :)

7 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Ran into this track a while back that I really like

Listening to it now. Very cool.

I love the fact that Civvie11 (great gaming youtuber - reviews classic games, in the unlikely event that you don't know him,) uses many of Lee's tracks, from ROTT

If you're a fan of Lee Jackson, you should probably listen to the tracks he has made for the Ultimate MIDI Pack. I am totally not just using this thread as an excuse for self promotion.

Also, he contributed to the TNT Evilution MIDI Pack that's in progress. Can't share the actual tracks, but being involved in that project I have heard them, and they are amazing.

41 minutes ago, ReX said:

@leejacksonaudio: Isn't it about time you got off your lazy behind and contributed to this thread? [:wink:]

Maybe it wasn't your intention but that does come across as a bit disrespectful.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

There's a forum for creative works for exactly that purpose.

That said, as long as you're not spamming it in every single thread, I doubt the staff would mind much if it's plugged here or there in some other topic (especially if it's relevant, of course!).

I know about the Creative Works forum. I was wondering if it would be okay if I fleshed out this particular thread with links, since someone else started it. It's kind of a grey area, I'm guessing - I've never had someone start a thread about me in a forum before! ;)

19 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

I know about the Creative Works forum. I was wondering if it would be okay if I fleshed out this particular thread with links, since someone else started it. It's kind of a grey area, I'm guessing - I've never had someone start a thread about me in a forum before! ;)

Considering it's relevant to YOU (in more ways than one), I doubt anyone would mind. :P

@A.H. Sankhatayan Thanks for posting this thread. I must've missed it when it was first created, so thanks also to @bLOCKbOYgAMES for bumping!

As far as DN3D Ep5 goes, I think Bullet Dam is a great track as well, but I personally like Dukelinka and Desert Maze somewhat more. As for Episodes 1-4, my favorite Lee Jackson tracks would be RoboCreeping, Plasma, Gotham, 233.778 Celsius and Warehaus.

6 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

@A.H. Sankhatayan Thanks for posting this thread. I must've missed it when it was first created, so thanks also to @bLOCKbOYgAMES for bumping!

As far as DN3D Ep5 goes, I think Bullet Dam is a great track as well, but I personally like Dukelinka and Desert Maze somewhat more. As for Episodes 1-4, my favorite Lee Jackson tracks would be RoboCreeping, Plasma, Gotham, 233.778 Celsius and Warehaus.

No love for Grabbag, i.e. the quintessential Duke Nukem track?

Since we're talking about our favourite Lee Jackson tracks, I would like to divert your attention to Stargunner.

The music in this game is great, with the Title Theme being among Lee's best work. But because the game was nowhere near as popular as RoTT or DN3D, many people haven't heard it.

The other tracks are generally shorter and don't have proper names, which may have added to it being less known, but nevertheless, it's a fantastic soundtrack. 

And since I mentioned the music, I have to say that the game is really good as well, and free to download on GoG and 3D Realms website!

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

No love for Grabbag, i.e. the quintessential Duke Nukem track?

I like it, just not one of my faves. There's not a single track in all of DN3D (including the newer episodes) that I dislike, I just really dig certain tracks a lot more. 

I agree. Although I cannot really stand Duke Nukem 3D past LA Meltdown, I find its soundtrack to be consistently good.

@leejacksonaudio Thanks for the links, man. I didn't know about the Duke Nukem Tank Tracks until I saw this thread. I'll be grabbing the OGG pack for sure! 

Also psyched to hear you've joined the eternal ranks of the Doomworld MIDI community. 🎵🎶

I know Lee wasn't responsible for this particular version of the song, but I always found Mark Knight's cover of Stalker in Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown (the Duke3D PS1 port) actually quite nicely sleazy. Of course, it got to cheat with XA Audio while Lee was constrained to MIDI. :P

As a bonus, the track used in E1L2 (which is not Taking the Death Toll at all) has a nice callback to it. You can hear it kick back in at about 0:55.

Actually, now I'm curious. @leejacksonaudio, while I know you obviously didn't have any call on your music being used/remixed or not (or so I'd presume), what opinion do you have, if any, of the PS1 Duke3D soundtrack? Obviously they kept some of the classics (Grabbag, Stalker, 233.778 Celsius, Pissed Office Box), but some of the songs (seemingly mostly Bobby Prince's?) got pulled entirely and entirely new tracks put in. Do you think it did a good job of keeping Duke feeling, well, Duke? The port was fairly criticized back in the day, but the community has warmed up to it somewhat now since you can overclock emulators to make it perform better, and the soundtrack (like the infamous Doom 3DO port) was one of the few things most people praised about it.

If you feel like having a listen sometime, there's a playlist cobbled together of the tracks.

I'm just always curious about how musicians feel when someone covers their stuff. I mean, when you got Megadeth covering your music, that's got to be pretty awesome on one hand, but on the other, I could kind of see you gnawing at your fingernails a bit too.

On 5/27/2021 at 10:53 AM, leejacksonaudio said:

Oh, I don't mind - @ReX and I have been going at it for some time now, in a faux sort of way.

old man fight :o

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

I'm just always curious about how musicians feel when someone covers their stuff. I mean, when you got Megadeth covering your music, that's got to be pretty awesome on one hand, but on the other, I could kind of see you gnawing at your fingernails a bit too.

No comment, other than to say that the Megadeth cover is not my favorite.

4 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I'm just always curious about how musicians feel when someone covers their stuff.

Well, as someone whose music has definitely been 'covered', whether it's just people running midis through a different soundfont or literally arranging something for live performance, I tend to lean more towards the fingernail gnawing. I do love that my music resonates with people enough for them to want to put it in a different form, but there's also always a voice in my head yelling 'That's not how it's supposed to sound!' I generally find it almost impossible to listen to other versions of my music for that reason.

On 5/27/2021 at 10:57 AM, Avoozl said:

Maybe it wasn't your intention but that does come across as a bit disrespectful.

Yes, I see your point. To the casual observer it does come across as disrespectful, especially towards a revered member of the gaming community. However, I assure you that I have nothing but the utmost respect for @leejacksonaudio. My post was a feeble bit of humor aimed at drawing his attention to this thread (which he seemingly had missed).

4 hours ago, roadworx said:

old man fight :o

Hey! Who you callin' "old"? I'm not just old, I'm an old fart. I'll ask you for the proper respect, sir! [:wink:]

@A.H. Sankhatayan: That Stargunner title track is an excellent find. The music has shades of Rick Wakeman if he was composing a piece for a chase scene in Blade Runner.

Edited by ReX : Added information

1 hour ago, stewboy said:

Well, as someone whose music has definitely been 'covered', whether it's just people running midis through a different soundfont or literally arranging something for live performance, I tend to lean more towards the fingernail gnawing. I do love that my music resonates with people enough for them to want to put it in a different form, but there's also always a voice in my head yelling 'That's not how it's supposed to sound!' I generally find it almost impossible to listen to other versions of my music for that reason.

But there are so many of your tracks for which a "de facto" version doesn't exist since you haven't made such a version available anywhere or uploaded one to Youtube like @Jimmy did for a lot of his midis. I'd love to hear a official version for tracks like "Air" or "River".