Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Michael Jensen

Essential stuff for fans of Lee Jackson

Favorite Lee Jackson midi?

For me it's Oww! from Rise of the Triad, though i know it first and foremost from Hell Revealed (1997), map 11 "Underground Base".

I grinded [sic] that monstrosity of a map for months and it was the first really hard level i conquered from a pistolstart. And while it definitely made me a better player, the entry fee was a lot of deaths, over and over, until i finally made it through. Lee Jackson's midi was my constant companion on that journey to 'git gud' and while i was often frustrated with myself and the map, the midi never got repetitive even after hundreds of repeats. It has become one of my default midis to play whenever i need something to calm me down after a map has proceeded to kick me in the balls a dozen times in a row and is starting to seriously piss me off... And it works! ;)

Unfortunately the midi that is used in most Doom mods is actually a bad transcript and has a few nasty dissonant notes in there. You can copy the correct version of the midi from the ROTT Darkwar edition using SLade or something similar and replace the broken one in Megawads like Hell Revealed or the Japanese Community Project this way. The SC-55 version of this track is of course superior to General Midi.

Thank you @leejacksonaudio

8 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Jethro Tull

You're referring to John Evan, I presume (although Ian Anderson and Martin Barre are excellent sources of inspiration as well).

Pink Floyd

Rick Wright was an understated but brilliant instrumentalist. [Everyone else in the band was very talented, too, but Rick Wright doesn't get the recognition he deserves.]

King Crimson

All-round trail- blazers.

The Who

While Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, and Keith Moon made the headlines, John Entwistle was the rock in the background.

J. S. Bach and a bunch of (mostly) dead guys

There are a few on your list I've not heard of, e.g., Vaclav Nelhybel. I'll have to check them out.

Listening to Stargunner's soundtrack while playing Grandia, I could not help but picture a Sonic The Hedgehog turn-based RPG for some reason. :P

Friends, one favor I ask. If you want to sign up for my Facebook Audio Discussion Group, please answer all three questions presented to you at sign-up time! Otherwise, your application might not be approved. Either that, or worse - you'll get a Message from me asking you to answer the questions! ;)

I don't have a question wall because I don't want new members - I have a question wall because I don't want spambots joining. So, please prove that you're human, and you're in! Thank you for your time in reading this, as well as for your cooperation when joining.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:59 AM, Gregor said:

For me it's Oww! from Rise of the Triad, though i know it first and foremost from Hell Revealed (1997), map 11 "Underground Base".

It's one of my favourite tracks as well, although I first heard it in the shareware version of Rise of the Triad, sometime in mid-2000s when I learned of the game as a part of my "what did I miss in the 90s" quest :)

ROTT soundtrack always sets me into a nostalgic mood of sorts and makes me think of my childhood in the early 90s.

On 5/28/2021 at 4:32 PM, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

Since we're talking about our favourite Lee Jackson tracks, I would like to divert your attention to Stargunner.

The music in this game is great, with the Title Theme being among Lee's best work. But because the game was nowhere near as popular as RoTT or DN3D, many people haven't heard it.

The other tracks are generally shorter and don't have proper names, which may have added to it being less known, but nevertheless, it's a fantastic soundtrack.

The MP3 version of the soundtrack used to be available from FileShack, via a link from 3D Realms website. There must be a mirrored version somewhere though. I used to listen to it too some time ago. Parts of some tracks remind me of Shadow Warrior a bit, actually.

I mean, to me the definitive versions of a composer's song are the ones they make themselves, or in lieu of that, covers they say they approve of.

I've actually done some re-instrumenting of MIDIs (there's some Doom stuff in there too, of course)... I've kind of always wanted to get into MIDI making myself, but I feel like I'd need a MIDI keyboard to learn how to do that all properly, and apparently most of them only have a limited number of keys and stuff, so it's just kind of hard for me to wrap my head around. I just don't see how it can be done "right" with a regular keyboard - I know it's possible, but it feels like if I want to learn it the right way, I should do it that way, because how would I actually learn what keys are what notes if I'm making MIDI with a regular old PC keyboard?

Curious, do you got any recommendations, Lee? I know there's a lot of great MIDI composing stuff out there now (even freeware stuff, like Sekaiju), but what would you consider necessities for a beginner to begin composing the "right" way in terms of MIDI keyboards and stuff?

12 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

The MP3 version of the soundtrack used to be available from FileShack, via a link from 3D Realms website. There must be a mirrored version somewhere though. I used to listen to it too some time ago. Parts of some tracks remind me of Shadow Warrior a bit, actually.

Both the game and soundtrack are actually available for free at GOG.com 

There are some issues with the audio quality though. If you listened to the music on YouTube, you may have noticed short silent interruptions in some of the tracks, and as far as I know, this goes back to the GOG version. 

On 5/29/2021 at 6:58 AM, leejacksonaudio said:

These are the composers who have had a major influence on my style of music:

Peter Tchiakovsky

Yeah, who doesn't know good ol' Peter Tchiakovsky? He also went by the moniker TAFKAPIT = The Artist Formerly Known As Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:58 PM, leejacksonaudio said:

Yes

Pink Floyd

Queen

Jethro Tull

King Crimson

Pearl Jam

Re-Flex

Rush

The Who

<3

On 5/31/2021 at 6:36 AM, Dark Pulse said:

I've kind of always wanted to get into MIDI making myself, but I feel like I'd need a MIDI keyboard to learn how to do that all properly

I don't think MIDI keyboards are a necessity for making music on a computer. Although I do play music with electronic keyboards and PC keyboards, all of my MIDIs are sequenced almost entirely with the mouse (with the computer keyboard being used for the sequencer's shortcuts). I manually draw all notes, pitch bends, modulation effects, etc. For trackers, I just use the PC keyboard.

how would I actually learn what keys are what notes if I'm making MIDI with a regular old PC keyboard?

Many sequencers (and some trackers) show a piano on the screen, making it easy to see what notes are being played. Although playing music with a PC keyboard is not ideal, I've learned to "visualize" and then memorize the locations of the "piano keys" on a PC keyboard (so I can play without having to look at the PC keyboard) by using this control setup:

Spoiler

Z = C (first octave)

S = C#

X = D

D = D#

C = E

V = F

G = F#

B = G

H = G#

N = A

J = A#

M = B

Q = C (second octave)

2 = C#

I = C (third octave)

And so on.

apparently most of them only have a limited number of keys and stuff

There are a whopping 128 MIDI notes; that's far too many for a real keyboard. Keyboards' limited number of keys shouldn't be a problem however, since you can just transpose recorded notes in a sequencer/tracker afterwards, and it's unlikely that you will need a huge note range anyway. Here is Bobby Prince's E1M7 from DOOM for example; the song uses a very small keyboard range:

Spoiler

JP18PcH.png

And in regards to Lee Jackson's music, I've always found it very interesting that Duke 3D MIDIs have multiple versions of some of the channels, and that which one gets played depends on the audio device the player selected in the game's setup. For example, channel 2 of "Missing?  Impossible!" will play Synth Brass 2 on an AdLib card, and French Horn on other cards.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

10 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

And in regards to Lee Jackson's music, I've always found it very interesting that Duke 3D MIDIs have multiple versions of some of the channels, and that which one gets played depends on the audio device the player selected in the game's setup. For example, channel 2 of "Missing?  Impossible!" will play Synth Brass 2 on an AdLib card, and French Horn on other cards.

This is due to the use of what we called the EMIDI spec for our MIDI files in Duke Nukem 3D. Jim Dosé and I designed a specification that allowed a single MIDI file to support several different sound cards. This was done because George Broussard did not want to have multiple MIDI files for each song, with each MIDI file tailored for a specific sound card. Click on the link and download the API from the Technical section of the page to find out how it works, and how you can strip it out of a MIDI file if you want to convert one to plain General MIDI (there's no specific instructions - you'll have to do the math yourself).

If I remember correctly, the MIDI files in the shareware version of Shadow Warrior also utilized the EMIDI API.

14 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

I don't think MIDI keyboards are a necessity for making music on a computer. Although I do play music with electronic keyboards and PC keyboards, all of my MIDIs are sequenced almost entirely with the mouse (with the computer keyboard being used for the sequencer's shortcuts). I manually draw all notes, pitch bends, modulation effects, etc. For trackers, I just use the PC keyboard.

Many sequencers (and some trackers) show a piano on the screen, making it easy to see what notes are being played. Although playing music with a PC keyboard is not ideal, I've learned to "visualize" and then memorize the locations of the "piano keys" on a PC keyboard (so I can play without having to look at the PC keyboard) by using this control setup:

Huh. I didn't know MIDI composing software that could sequence using a mouse existed... what do you use?

Trackers are something I've wanted to get into too, I've fooled around with stuff like Deflemask (being a child of the 8/16-bit eras and all). But I never really got further than tinkering for exactly the same reason - just couldn't wrap my head around knowing what will play without knowing what notes are what key.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Huh. I didn't know MIDI composing software that could sequence using a mouse existed... what do you use?

I use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03, a sequencer from 1999. There are also other versions of the sequencer, such as Cakewalk Express, which was included with some boxed copies of Roland Virtual Sound Canvas and is what @Jimmy uses. Note that these were commercial sequencers aimed at professional MIDI composers at the time, so obtaining them these days may be difficult (the original VSC-55 + Cakewalk Express box [VSC-550W] cost US $99 in 1996). A later bundle called VSC-88ME also included Cakewalk Express.

I think the vast majority of sequencers and DAWs are PC keyboard- and mouse-based. The only MIDI sequencer I've seen that required a MIDI keyboard was a very old DOS one.

3 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.03

There's a more recent version of this called Cakewalk by Bandlab. It's got modern enhancements, plugins, plus it's maintained, and best of all, it's free. Grab a copy today and start playing around with it. All you have to do is register for a Bandlab account, but they do not spam you.

I just viewed listened to this great interview of Lee Jackson at The Cyber Den, conducted by Jake The Voice in early 2016.

It contains interesting background info, for example how Lee became the musician for 'Rise of the Triad', and eventually 'Duke Nukem 3D', and so much more. It's well worth the listen.

Many more links to interesting interviews, like Bobby Prince, Jon St. John, Richard "Levelord" Gray, etc., can be found over here.

Many thanks to MrFlibble for maintaining the list.

20 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Not my favorite arrangement of Grabbag

I can see why you might say that.

A slightly less classic one:

(Yes, it's a joke. The whole channel's deal is that it presents weird remixes as audio rips.)

[WARNING: mildly emotive text with broken english ahead]

On 5/29/2021 at 12:59 AM, Gregor said:

Starting with Rise of the Triad:

"OWW", "Suck This", "I Choose The Stairs" and "Run Like Smeg" are definitely on my top 5 ("Havana Smooth", "CCCool" and "Where Izit" comes right after it). There's also his rendition of Adagio in G minor that gives me goosebumps everytime I listen to.

But my favorite will always be "Going Down the Fast Way": I love how fast and action-packed it is, while still satisfyingly harmonic. The pulsating bass is so remarkable and the double synthesizers have that incredible synergy together, with an on-going progression that never drops the energy of the song (quite the contrary: makes it more and more exciting on each sequence). It's SO FUCKING PERFECT that it hurts.

Rise of the Triad as a whole have one the best soundtracks ever imo - a master blend of latin music, jazz, synthpop and progressive rock while sounding like nothing I ever heard before (or after). And all of that while also keeping it extremely coherent somehow (you can recognize the "ROTT" style from miles away). 

I know for a fact that I will never stop to listen to these songs, never ever.

Duke Nukem 3D doesn't get as much love I guess, but I feel like Lee had less creative freedom on these tracks compared to his prior work. And to be honest I prefer the addrenaline-fuel stuff from ROTT - despite being aware that Lee is a master when it comes to ambient music.

That said, "Stalker" is by far my favorite Duke music, a song that people don't give enough credit imo. I love LOVE the epic climax at the end with the strings while there's all that cool stuff on the background: the almost hypnotic synth on repeat (and the bass giving extra strength to it), the timpani punctuating each crescendo... and the strings getting higher and higher on each sequence. Can't get more baddass than that!

Btw some of the same motif (sustained strings and timpani) also happens again on Gotham. Again, you can see his concern for cohesion and identity which is pretty cool in my opinion.

About Stargunner - correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the only instance where Lee did MOD music for a game, which I really appreciates.
"Episode 1 Levels 4-6 (Main Level)" is probably the song that got stuck on my head, but they are all amazing on it's own.

It's a very cool and energetic soundtrack, almost as fast as the Rise of the Triad - but with an opposite mentality: while ROTT is all about solos and melodic harmonies this one is more about powerful beats! Despite having guitars here and there, the main focus is on electronic music and with big emphasis on grooves and atonal rhythms - going from acid techno (Episode 3 Levels 7-9 ML) to drum & bass (Episode 1 Levels 7-9 ML), synth rock (Episode 2 Levels 7-9 ML) breakbeat (Episode 3 Levels 4-6 ML) as well as some crazy tribalistic beats that reminds me of post-punk\soft industrial (Episode 2 Levels 1-3). I love them all so it's very difficult to choose one track.

And let's not forget some of his newer tracks. Here's a few selected tracks from all his records:

- "Bullet Dam" is the official successor to Stalker, but with more teeth which I like a lot. Listening to them in sequence feels almost natural!
- "Beehive" sounds almost like a lost ROTT track and I would love to have a MIDI version of it to use on a Doom map.
- "Interstate 30" (one of my favorites) is dark, dancey and almost EBM-ish. Great choice of synths.
- "B.H.I." is oldschool house awesomeness with a bit of acid on the mix. Reminds me of Streets of Rage.
- "Electricity" shows what Lee is capable when going on a more organic route. Very smooth and atmospheric.
- "Laurentian Abyss" have a great minimalistic intro before going deep into funky territory.
- "Night Storm 2" have a great line of bass that gives room for cool abstract soundscapes. Dreamy as hell!

Thanks a lot for making my childhood so great @leejacksonaudio. I know I sound a bit silly (and my english is not very good so I feel embarrassed when I make essays like that), but I can't help it. I was a musician on my teenage years and your work is a huge influence for me! Thanks for being here with us.

Edited by Noiser

2 hours ago, Noiser said:

my english is not very good so I feel embarrassed when I make essays like that

Not in the least. Your use of the language was exemplary and evocative, clearly expressing how you feel and think.

2 hours ago, Noiser said:

I was a musician on my teenage years

While reading your summaries and reviews I got the undeniable sense that you had (at least some) musical training.

Thanks for sharing your choices, as it's giving me great pleasure listening to these tracks again. I will say that listening to a piece of music just by itself is a completely different experience than listening to it as the music that accompanies a level in a computer/video game. Often, computer/video game music (for me) recedes into the background as my focus is on the on-screen action.

Damn, that tune Interstate 30 is really thick. The style and arrangement remind me of Purple Motion of former Future Crew glory. I guess nobody on this forum can make anything out of this. :)

Anyway, have a listen to his great song World of Plastic from 1993 for comparison:

1 hour ago, Noiser said:

That said, "Stalker" is by far my favorite Duke music, a song that people don't give enough credit imo.

It's one of my favorite songs too, and it's pretty remarkable for an "E1M1" song in that I don't get tired of it from overexposure. (Running from Evil cannot say the same.)

1 hour ago, Noiser said:

Btw some of that same motif (with sustained strings and timpani) also appears again on Gotham. Again, you can see his concern for cohesion and identity which is pretty cool in my opinion.

That reminds me, something I was wondering about. @leejacksonaudio, how was the work relationship with Bobby Prince? Did you exchange ideas on how the soundtrack should be, or did you work alone on your own without much interaction, kinda like the situation here ("We never had any contact, I don't even know his name.") I find these games had very coherent soundtracks, despite going through a variety of genres, but maybe that's just because I'm used to hearing them together.

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

@leejacksonaudio, how was the work relationship with Bobby Prince? Did you exchange ideas on how the soundtrack should be, or did you work alone on your own without much interaction, kinda like the situation here ("We never had any contact, I don't even know his name.") I find these games had very coherent soundtracks, despite going through a variety of genres, but maybe that's just because I'm used to hearing them together.

We had a cordial relationship. We never collaborated on pieces, if that's what you're asking, but we did speak from time to time, mainly about the technology behind the EMIDI system that Jim Dosé and I developed for the game. Our styles were complimentary, fortunately.

14 minutes ago, deus-ex said:

Damn, that tune Interstate 30 is really thick. The style and arrangement remind me of Purple Motion of former Future Crew glory. I guess nobody on this forum can make anything out of this. :)

I guess I need to add Purple Motion to the list of my influences, eh? ;)  To be honest, I did study the living daylights out of his part of the soundtrack to the "Second Reality" demo that Future Crew put out. The phrase "I am not an atomic playboy" is burned into my brain to this day. :D

Aha, got you! ;)

Say hello to your Atomic Playboy (rewind to start to watch the entire PC-demo):