Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

Widescreen Assets Pack and Appreciation Thread

On 5/26/2021 at 1:03 AM, OpenRift said:

Yeah, if Eternity Engine had widescreen asset support :/

Late reply, but I think Eternity has widescreen asset support. Not 100% sure though. You would have to ask the EE devs for that.

I just want to add I that I very much appreciate the widescreen assets you're making here @Terraformer9x, mainly because I know it can be demotivating to just get soulspheres rather than proper comments on your work, even if they're just quick shops. It's in the topic title that I'm supposed to be appreciating things anyways. XD

8 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

Here's Momento Mori 1 and 2

MM1 was extremely easy to do.

MM2... not so much. I sorta had to get creative with some of screens here.

INTERPIC.png

TITLEPIC.png

CREDIT.png

INTERPIC.png

BOSSBACK.png

Awesome! Im currently working on MAPINFO/UMAPINFO/Dehacked stuff for these in particular.

5 hours ago, eharper256 said:

I just want to add I that I very much appreciate the widescreen assets you're making here @Terraformer9x, mainly because I know it can be demotivating to just get soulspheres rather than proper comments on your work, even if they're just quick shops. It's in the topic title that I'm supposed to be appreciating things anyways. XD

Thankies ^^

Ah, don't worry about it. Just soulspheres are absolutely fine.

10 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Late reply, but I think Eternity has widescreen asset support. Not 100% sure though. You would have to ask the EE devs for that.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't as far as I know. 

3 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

Thankies ^^

Ah, don't worry about it. Just soulspheres are absolutely fine.

Honestly, I'm gonna reiterate anyway. You're doing a fantastic job with these, and we really appreciated it ;)

On 5/25/2021 at 3:33 PM, Devalaous said:

As mentioned above, Nash is making them for the next GZDoom release.

Correct, I'll be doing all the Chexes (some of the images are already complete, as a matter of fact).

unknown.png?width=1246&height=701

If I haven't critically broken anything, the Secret Operations will now be part of the MM2 Widescreen Graphics zip. They work on GZDoom, and have at least been defined in Doomsday and old MAPINFO ports. Unity Port *may* support them too. Currently there is a full DEHACKED patch and DMAPINFO lump, a GAMEINFO lump which simply prints the name of the wad in the startup screen and specifies doom2.wad (give me a nice red colour scheme to match the reds the series loves so much and I'll add it) and there is the workings of a MAPINFO, ZMAPINFO, EMAPINFO, UMAPINFO and DD_DEFNS lump (up to map 9 is written for each, but untested. Its my birthday here afterall, im just doing the fun part, ie the scripting, for now :p)

I took the official addons like Sigil and NEIS and studied the internal lumps to determine what to include, as these seem to be the main things to support. I aim to add these to all the older widescreen wads ive made here, as well as do things like add missing/exclusive maps as an additional option on the title screen of supported ports. Having to warp to a hidden MAP33, load up a side wad, or in MM2's case, rename an obscure file and load as a wad, isn't really my style. QoL upgrades :D

@Devalaous Even though I appreciate the work with putting my widescreen stuff into ready to go wads, I also wanna let you know that I plan to make a thread posting all the widescreen conversions I have done both on here and on ZDoom forums once I've done a few more.

I had the same idea tbh. A blanket 'quality of life upgrades for classic pwads' sort of thread. I already have a few fixes posted, one of which sorely needs an update. As mentioned earlier, the stuff im posting here is quick use stuff. For me its a bit disheartening to get a HR2 widescreen mod up, then when using it, seeing 'Entryway' on Map 1, or the whole MM2 Secret Operations thing, so i'll going a step further for a more complete package, along the lines of the wads that are official add-ons. Then theres stuff like NEIS and Deathless which have differing graphics depending on the source, which is why I asked for the Deathless intermissions to be widescreened.

Not everyone will want my 'bloat' though xD (this is also why I have everything I add in a seperate wad; MM2 will have the Secret Operations maps in mm2_fix.wad, not part of the widescreen wad.

I boldly agree with eharper256.

Thereby, I will state that you, Terraformer9x, are indeed a fucking killing machine.

20 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

I boldly agree with eharper256.

Thereby, I will state that you, Terraformer9x, are indeed a fucking killing machine.

No I'm not, I'm a squid.

Spoiler

But seriously thank you!! :'D

Edited by Terraformer9x

Eternal Doom put all its effort into the level graphics, always found it odd how basic these were in comparison. Ive got a playthrough going on this currently, stopped at Map 6 due to oncoming 'Castle Exhaustion'. I owe it to myself to at least get far enough to see Sverre and Jim Flynn's remaining levels, as then I will have played their entire body of work.

On 5/30/2021 at 8:46 PM, Terraformer9x said:

Scythe II

Now in widescreen!

-snip-

You don't happen to know where I could find a widescreen status bar for Scythe 2, would you? *wink*

39 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

I thought that one was never finished?

Ah, well I've mainly only been making widescreen status bars for wads that didn't already exist in that thread but I just took a look at Scythe 2's status bar in there and realized it isn't the cleanest widescreen conversion attempt, and I also noticed it was made with the INTERPIC graphic so I just quickly whipped this up.

STBAR.png.901c247bc8d304673486fa1f5d4d59c0.png

1 hour ago, Terraformer9x said:

*cough*

Honestly we should start posting the widescreen Status bars with the Widescreen assets, just for completeness.

2 minutes ago, Terraformer9x said:

Ah, well I've mainly only been making widescreen status bars for wads that didn't already exist in that thread but I just took a look at Scythe 2's status bar in there and realized it isn't the cleanest widescreen conversion attempt, and I also noticed it was made with the INTERPIC graphic so I just quickly whipped this up.

STBAR.png.901c247bc8d304673486fa1f5d4d59c0.png

Wow, thanks!

1 hour ago, OpenRift said:

Honestly we should start posting the widescreen Status bars with the Widescreen assets, just for completeness.

Just please, PLEASE, keep the status bars in their own wads, they muck up a lot of hud mods if not loaded seperately

2 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Just please, PLEASE, keep the status bars in their own wads, they muck up a lot of hud mods if not loaded seperately

Really? What mods?

NightFright's Fullscreen Statusbar HUD is the big one. Ive been packing the status bars here into seperate wads because they break that hud real badly.

Just now, Devalaous said:

NightFright's Fullscreen Statusbar HUD is the big one. Ive been packing the status bars here into seperate wads because they break that hud real badly.

I think at that point we should just recommend against using that mod when loading these assets. Plus, isn't that only compatible with GZDoom anyway?

...why would I avoid all the other widescreen stuff just for one conflict though? Doom 64 in Doom 2 made all the widescreen status bars as side wads, so its how I do things too. That mod is INCREDIBLY popular, intentionally breaking compatibility with it is bad.

4 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

...why would I avoid all the other widescreen stuff just for one conflict though? Doom 64 in Doom 2 made all the widescreen status bars as side wads, so its how I do things too. That mod is INCREDIBLY popular, intentionally breaking compatibility with it is bad.

Yeah, this true. Though, it makes me wonder, what if we tried working with NightFright and seeing if we could make it compatible with widescreen assets? Because I'm sure that there's WADs that don't even come with a 4:3 status bar, so it would be nice to see that accommodation implemented.

It should also probably be noted both of the 'successor' forks of PrBoom+ (UMAPINFO/DSDA-Doom) now support widescreen assets, even if the former's support is still in developer builds at the moment.

I also widened the status bars for Sunder and Sunlust/SWTW. If anyone wants to have another go at these, feel free to.

STBARalt.png

STBARSL.png

2 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Yeah, this true. Though, it makes me wonder, what if we tried working with NightFright and seeing if we could make it compatible with widescreen assets? Because I'm sure that there's WADs that don't even come with a 4:3 status bar, so it would be nice to see that accommodation implemented.

His mod aims to make widescreen status bars obsolete with GZDoom actually, he used to make widescreen status bars himself beforehand. Some people like Scuba Steve are even lobbying to have that kind of status bar become part of the official GZDoom features, like how Nash's sprite shadows became permanent. Thus im also keeping the stbars seperate incase that does come to pass.

Anyway, Terraformer9x has already mentioned wanting to do their own versions of the wads, and thus we can all choose really :p I'm aiming for maximum cross-compatibility and customisability, which is why I made the Hexen and Heretic wads: GZDoom already natively does these, but others don't.

On 6/4/2021 at 12:30 AM, Dwars said:

It should also probably be noted both of the 'successor' forks of PrBoom+ (UMAPINFO/DSDA-Doom) now support widescreen assets, even if the former's support is still in developer builds at the moment.

I also widened the status bars for Sunder and Sunlust/SWTW. If anyone wants to have another go at these, feel free to.

STBARalt.png

STBARSL.png

Thanks for making these!  Any chance these can be made available as Doom graphics in WAD files?  I've tried using Slade to do this conversion myself but keep ending up with weird colors in the status bar in-game.