Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Bourgeois Megawad

Map01 is great....

Question: Do I need to use the deh file with GZDoom? The wad itself worked just fine.

EDIT: It looks like the deh file just changes the map name?

Edited by princetontiger

MAP01:Darken

This map has a very interesting start, and you have to be quick or you can get killed by the revenants or the baron in a few seconds, but you have enough space to move. The rifle will help you a lot with the zombies and imps at the start, if you want to gain some ammo, but you can get other weapons very soon. After cleaning this area and the corridors nearby you get the red key and the access to the final area. The archville at the end can be a trouble if you are not paying attention to his attack while you are on the stairs, and it fits perfectly with the mastermind that teleports when you grab the yellow key.

The map is short and it has a good difficulty without being very punitive. Very fun map!

MAP 1:DARKEN(Crispy Doom w/ saves)

First things first, props to Doomkid, Decay, and Razgriz for making this wad and also for the intent of having this one day be ported to the Unity port and in hopes the people behind the port add deathmatch as a mode for it as well. Secondly, after lurking silently around these threads curious to know what people thought about megawads I liked and disliked, I figured "Sure, why not throw my hat into the ring as well and give my two-cents about some wads as well". I'm no Dean of Doom, but I'm down to share what I thunk about some sections of maps. Feel free to dm me hateful messages over my opinion on some maps that you may or may not like. Now that that's outta the way, let's begin: Boy, this wad sure does start off getting on your ass the moment you start it up. Already we got some harder demons pulled in littered w/ weaker foes all over the map. Luckily, if you rush to get some firepower and thin the herd down while watching out for those pesky demons up in higher ground, this map shouldn't be too bad. Once you declaw it by focusing on killing the bigger foes and nabbing that bfg and soulsphere in that one tiny annoying secret that requires strafe jumping (took me 2 solid minutes to nail it lmao, that is until I realized I broke the map somehow since that didn't spawn in a spidermastermind b/c I strafed from the stairs nearby behind the secret) the map is pretty much over.

On a side note, love the little changes the people behind this wad gave it, such as lessening the red tint when you get hurt and the weapons that have been changed.

Also, ik this is incredibly off-topic but it's just another question I had to ask for the people behind DWMC: can we ever hope to revisit other wads that you fellas have beaten and maybe have a change of opinion for them or is that never going to happen?

Edited by VoanHead

23 minutes ago, princetontiger said:

Map01 is great....

Question: Do I need to use the deh file with GZDoom? The wad itself worked just fine.

EDIT: It looks like the deh file just changes the map name?

The external dehacked is only for ports that don't natively load the dehacked inside the wad.

2 hours ago, VoanHead said:

First things first, props to Doomkid, Decay, and Razgriz for making this wad and also for the intent of having this one day be ported to the Unity port and in hopes the people behind the port add deathmatch as a mode for it as well

I'm really glad you mentioned this. This was one of the main inspiring drives behind creating this wad, the thought of a port having that badass 4-player splitscreen deathmatch feature (the lack of which was Doom64's downfall in terms of sales) and yet having no "deathmatch centric" turf just seemed criminal. DM is so fun but is just so underrepresented in the Doom fanbase..!

MAP02: Keepsake

UV, no saves

100% kills, 1/1 secrets

The hot start on this one faces you down with 3 pinkies running at you, with hitscanners on the ledges above. You are given a quick choice between both melee options, the chainsaw and the berserk fist, both of which have received a considerable buff. The chainsaw now tears down monsters much faster, but there is a tradeoff of it being a little bit harder to control, as it tends to send your aim flying all over the place. The berserk fist is just hilariously strong, with Doomguy now rapidly wielding both of his fists. Even a mid-tier demon like a revenant is destroyed almost immediately with the double berserk fist, it's extremely fun to use. The hitscanners above can be taken care of pretty easily with your "pistol" which is now a rifle that shoots far faster than the default pistol.

After the hot start, the level plays a little bit more like a conventional level than MAP01. Where MAP01 had you scurrying all over the map looking for safety, here the progression feels more concrete, with you taking down the monsters pinning you down in the starting room, and then moving forward into the hallway to the other rooms. Said hallway is overseen by a cyberdemon in the side window, who acts as a looming threat if you ever decide to stick around in the hallway to take out some enemies from above. He's also pretty helpful though, as you can abuse the infinitely tall splash damage of his rockets and lure his fire into the wall to take down the mass of hitscanners beneath him. To progress, you first venture into the room without the cyberdemon, which features another army of hitscanners with some revenants. You can use the rockets you found, or berserk punch the revenants if you are feeling daring :). Then you can grab the blue key from the ground (booby-trapped by chaingunners, go to the cyberdemon's room and remove the smaller monsters there, and use the BFG to take out the cyberdemon. The BFG here uses 80 cells instead of 40, which is something I'll have to get used to keeping track of going forward.

Another great looking and fun map. Less of a frantic whirlwind than MAP01 but no less enjoyable.

MAP02 - Keepsake

UV | GZDoom

Our favourite pink morons make their debut for the WAD coming between you and the delightful double-chainsaw (that I actually get a chance to use) with a gaggle of shotgunners sniping at you from behind. Willing to bet every map is going to start off hot, so I should get used to it hehe. I had a much easier time with this one and only died once. Some might even argue that this should've been MAP01 instead, but I'd argue that MAP01 gives the player a more solid idea of the kind of WAD you're going to be playing, teaches you how it wants to be played and leaves a bigger first impression. MAP02 isn't a slouch by any means though and you'd likely die fairly quickly if you get cocky on your first blind playthrough. My death for this map though was more of a surprise moment in the form of Mr Cyb delivering me a rocket to the back of my head via an open window I hadn't quite noticed yet. Referring back to my feeling on Bourgeois teaching you how to play, the biggest impression I have so far is it wants you to take a bit of a leaf out of Doom 2016's book: Don't stop moving! Ducking and weaving around and utilising infighting whenever possible seems to be the name of the game here. Visually, Decay has kept things consistent with the last map to bring us into another castle-like structure with lots of hellish textures decorated with torches and dead people on the walls and dangling over windows. Mmm, deliciously morbid. I wonder what he has in store for us in MAP03...

MAP02 - Keepsake

NM | DSDA-DOOM

I posted a NM-Speed demo of this map 2 months ago. I want to say that the two berserks really help a lot in nightmare speedrun because they not only give 100 health, but also have an incredible DPS to almost instantly kill a revenant or cacodemon. The blue key part is pretty dangerous since there are too many hitscanners, especially those three chaingunners, and those revenants just keeping firing missiles at you on nightmare. The final part has a cyberdemon, which is annoying that it can ruin the whole run. But thanks to the berserks, this NM-Speed is done eventually.

Edited by liveincity

Map 02: Keepsake

Difficulty: Hurt Me Plenty

Source Port: GZDoom

Compat Mode: Default

Free Look: On

Jumping: Off

Crouching: Off

This is my second play of this map, as I got hooked on it when I was playing yesterday, going through at least 7 maps. Had to replay to figure out what I wanted to say about it.

Another hot pistol start, this time in front of pink demons, with a chainsaw and a berserk. First play, I went with the chainsaw, killed the pinkies, then used my rifle to kill the hitscanners on the ledge above. Second play, I went with berserk to kill all in this room, was left with less than 10 health.

With the starting room cleared, I now had a foothold to move on and clear the rest of the map, room by room. I started with the far east room, pulling the medium baddies out and killing them 1–2 at a time, then moved in a took out the hitscanners down below, then grabbing the RL and taking out the revenants. Then I went down and found a desperately needed health pack, which opened up a small area with 3 chaingunners as soon as I picked it up, wasting most of the health that I just gained. I finished them off with a rocket, then grabbed the blue key. 

My next step was to kill the stuff outside, with the choice of taking out either the revenants on the ledge, through the window; or the ones down the stairs, first. I opted for the ones through the window, so that I had a safe place to back into while handling the ones down the stairs. Then I moved down the stairs to find a small group of hitscanners, taking them down with my shotgun.

With the level cleared, I noticed the ledge just outside the window with tons of ammo and a plasma gun, along with the BFG on the stairs to the exit. I grabbed it all and nabbed another easy secret, then went and finished the level.

The start is almost as frantic as MAP 01, but the rest of the level is closer to what I am used to. Overral, still just as fun.

Worth noting that on Hurt Me Plenty, the Cyberdemon is absent.

Kills: 100%

Items: 100%

Secrets: 100%

Edited by DameHamara

Bourgeois Megawad Map02: Keepsake\Hurt Me Plenty\Crispy-Doom v.5.10.1\Saves when needed

Results: 100% of everything 

Time: 3:23 min

The second map is relatively easy on HMP, a lot of zombies to kill with the rifle or chaingun. Be careful because you can experiment the blockmap bug at the beginning. Some revenants here and there, and a couple hell knights, cacodemons and mancubi. I know that on UV there's a cyberdemon at the exit, so be careful with that guy. You can make infight a lot of zombies and monsters, so you can save ammo. And there are two berserk packs. Notice that the BFG now uses 80 cells, I guess to balance it. All in all, it was very fun.

Map03: Keepsake

or how I learned that rockets hurt.. a lot.

We're presented with another marble castle with stiff opposition in almost every room, and a cybie who greets you by pumping rockets directly into your face.

It was here that I discovered that I may have missed a key part of the reworked arsenal. Your fists now attack faster and harder , similar to another of Doomkid's WADs, Rowdy Rudy: Powertrip. It was this discovery that lead to my downfall. I'll explain why later.

Encounters are fairly simplistic. No real elaborate traps are used, though Mancubi and the aforementioned cybie are used to put pressure on the player, quite effectively, I might add.

I died seven times in this map, and majority of them could have been avoided, mainly due to my own cockiness. Here's a summary of my embarrassing deaths:

1. I attempted to punch a mancubus, since I thought the upgraded fisticuffs would kill him easily. My death came suddenly and swiftly.

2.I killed myself with my own splash damage.

3. I attempted to punch a revenant to death. See outcome of 1.

4. I killed the cybie, before dying from a rocket to the face.

5. Rocket to the face.

6. I forgot that the BFG uses 80 cells and not 40. You can pretty much predict the outcome

7. More splash damage shenanigans.

Tl;DR Mappers, Don't give me any upgraded weapons. I can't be trusted around them.

My stats:

secrets: 100%

Deaths: 7

Edited by Silent Wolf

MAP02– Keepsake (HMP)

Another great outing with the chainsaw. I’m not used to the 1 key being in my usual rotation, it’s messing me up. This map was chaos all the way through and it was great. Being dm maps, they are all very open-ended, so you could end up missing a weapon until the very end, as I almost did with the rocket launcher and did do with the BFG and secret plasma. Oh well, it’s alright with me if the maps are this much fun anyway.

Map02: Keepsake

For those of you playing on ports that support it, you might've noticed in the zip download there are some music packs. I chose a nice soothing track for this map composed by @jdagenet, who is an excellent composer whose works you should definitely check out

This was actually the first original map made for this project, and I had considered it for map01 as well, however I didn't think it left as big of an impression as Darken in the visual or game play department. This is one of my favourite maps in the wad to speedrun, though I haven't come near the record of 16.60... I think my personal best, unposted, was a high 19 in my d2all attempts... Anyway, this was my first time ever dealing with VPO limits  and I had to do away with some of the simple shadowing, and learn that a lot of vanilla's strength in aesthetic comes from lighting. The zombiemen are mostly later additions - I didn't have the hordes until after initial play testing which told me I needed to crank up this difficulty a bit, and I figured this would be a good way to showcase the effectiveness of the new chaingun. The cyberdemon is taking advantage of a window in the wall that is actually meant to allow DM players to rocket spam or otherwise guard the BFG, which is actually placed where the cyberdemon is. Worked out pretty well to keep up pressure.

@TomatoTom's Max run of this map found here is really fantastic

2 minutes ago, Decay said:

For those of you playing on ports that support it, you might've noticed in the zip download there are some music packs.

There is? Oops. Thank you for pointing this out for nonobservant dorks like me.

I mean it's fine if you like iwad music. There are a few custom midis by Doomkid in there as well, but since we wanted to make a pitch for the Unity port, we needed only original assets or stuff created solely by us, and unfortunately we couldn't bust out a megawad's worth of midis from 1 person :P

Map 02-Keepsake: Good level, bit harder than previous. Didn't like it as much, maybe I just feel salty because of the Cyberdemon. Don't forget the secret stash, maybe getting it early will help. Fights aren't too hard, but the 4 revs and the whole load of hitscanners is probably the hardest part of the level besides the cyberdemon. I'm talking about the blue key pit, if it's hard to follow. The BFG will take a bit of getting used to, but that's what makes it fun.

Conclusion. Harder, not as good, but the secret is a bit bonkers. Still like it though

MAP 2:KEEPSAKE (Crispy Doom, UV w/ saves)

Another bite sized map you can get done in under 5 minutes. I love the subtle introduction of the berserk and the change towards the fist. Really lets you go Kenshiro on the weaker enemies (yes Ik, overused joke). Go ham on their asses, or if you prefer to be safer pick em all off with the super chaingun. Once that's done, you'll encounter some of the same enemies that you found in the previous map, but they should be able to infight amongst each other easily if you get em to, it'll save you the ammo. The revenants are a joke since you got that handy rocket launcher to make quick work of them, and Cybercheeks seems imposing at first, but if you get your hands on the secret cache of ammo and the plasmagun and stay away from a distance you should be able to pick him off easily (or just nuke him w/ the BFG literally standing there on the staircase leading up to him). Overall, not bad.

Map 02: Keepsake

UV | PrBoom+

This one was cathartic! I found myself hanging back a lot more in this one than in the first map. At first I wanted to grab the berserk and go to town but that really didn't work well for me the first go round. What I ended up doing with both berserks on the map was saving them for emergencies. I found myself having a lot more fun rifling the zombies, ducking in to get the blue key, and then doing some circles around the window the Cyberdemon could shoot through. While the mid-tiers were in-fighting, I grabbed the berserk and punched out the pinkies. Grabbed the plasma, took out the Cyber with it and peaced out after getting the stragglers.

All this to say was that a lot of the "hard work" in the map was taken care of on its own through in-fighting. Most of the time I was pulling the trigger I felt like I was just making some popcorn pop. I had to think about this one a lot less. Good, dumb (in the kindest sense of the word) fun.

EDIT: Oh, and I found myself really preferring to get at these levels without any saves at all. It was really easy to just commit to starting the whole thing over again with the levels being so bite sized.

Map02 - Keepsake

Again another blast of a map. This one does a great job showing off the berserk, which is insanely powerful. After clearing the initial room you can rush into a horde of zombiemen (finished by the new and improved chaingun). I like how this wad encourages quick exploration and movement. After finding the rocket launcher it makes a lot of the encounters easier. But if you stay in one place you can still be attacked by mancubi, cacos and revenant rockets. I had a heck of a rush running through the hallways while doing a 360 no-scope rocket shot to take out the mancubus that was shooting fireballs at my back. After taking care of most of the demons there was still the cyberdemon room. I was able to draw his rocket fire to agitate the revenants and hit scanners, so that helped. I used up the BFG and all my rocket ammo on the cyberdemon and had resorted to taking potshots at him with my shotgun before I noticed the secret ammo cache. After that the ending was a piece of cake. Excellent map.

Since it's 1 am for me, I'll start the ball rolling for Map03: Solitary Confinement

So this is where the map/author listing becomes a little misleading. Half of Bourgeois is converting maps from Don't Be A Bitch, Aeon Deathmatch, and Neon Deathmatch, which is exclusively for zandronum/gzdoom and made in zdoom (doom in hexen)/UDMF formats, into Doom 2 format and using vanilla textures (or textures made by myself or Doomkid). Check out this post for a convenient list of conversions/links to packs. Solitary Confinement was originally designed by Razgriz as Solitaire (aeon02), an icy techbase. I vanillified it, and did the single player component. In fact, I did all of the single player components, aside from map04, 07, 17 (Doomkid did these), 10 and some of 22 (Razgriz did these).

Anyway, this map is super straight forward and provides a breather for players. There is no need for the wad to be hammering you all the time so just take a casual stroll through the map and enjoy blasting through things. Aesthetically it came out pretty good considering I had barely done any work with vanilla textures prior and it was a lot of experimenting in the wad. This map was the result of many different play tester feedback, thanks to them it turned out pretty alright overall!

MAP02 - Keepsake

UV | Crispy-Doom

This map has an easier start, comparing to the first level. After leaving the first room, you can use infighting to kill most of the monsters. The area with blue key is problematic because of the revenants and chaingunners, also because you can take some rockets of the cyberdemon when running to the rocket launcher. The part of the cyberdemon was a surprise because of the big windows that exposes you to his rockets while you are dealing with the other monsters in that room. The fight with the cyberdemon can be easy because of the extra cells and the plasma rifle, but they are resources you can easily miss due to the area they are placed.

Harder than the previous, a very good map.

MAP03: Solitary Refinement

UV, no saves

100% kills, 1/1 secrets

In the beginning of this map you are greeted with... nothing. No hot start this time. Just a chainsaw, chaingun, and armour to start you off. Your peace does not last long though, as soon as you turn the corner there are a few shotgunners ahead with a mess of all kinds of monsters below. Visually we see a departure from the hellish fortress type themes of the first two maps, this time going for a more techbasey theme. 

As Decay stated in their previous comment, this one is a bit more of a breather compared to the first two maps. There's no boss monster to greet you this time, and most of the fights allow you to take slower and more methodical approaches to them. There are still some nice traps though, for example one of the first areas you'll see is a small pool of water with a plasma rifle and a bunch of cells, with a room full of monsters behind it. If you pick up the plasma and charge right into the room, you will be caged in with 3 mancubi in your face, revenants on the sides, and arachnotrons and hell knights surrounding the arena. You can circlestrafe around the place while spraying plasma like a maniac which is always fun, or you can play it safe and empty the room beforehand from the outside. There is another fun fight where you are teleported between a bunch of imps and pinkies, while cacos, hell knights, and more imps teleport back in the area outside. Luckily you do get the BFG before heading back out, which you can use to quickly dispatch those enemies.

Overall very solid map.

MAP03 - Solitary Confinement

UV | GZDoom

Reading Decay's post before I got stuck in, I knew we get a bit of a breather. So slightly less intense again we venture with MAP03 where things are a little more enclosed and there are almost no cheeky bastards sniping you from open windows. However, this is no excuse to get lazy as plenty of encounters will keep you on your toes. The biggest surprise for me was the Caco-cloud that popped up behind me while I wasn't paying attention hehe. This map allowed me to tinker a bit more with infighting, especially with the area with the gaggle of Boner Boys sitting on a small ledge and having them battle with a Brainiac and a couple of Cowboys. I also nearly ran out of ammo in this one, but not desperately so. All the maps have been pretty fun so far. I fully expect Doomkid to turn the heat up a notch in MAP04.

Map03: Solitary refinement

A necessary breather map...

Decay describes this as a breather map, and I'd say he's correct in that regard (he is one of the devs, after all). There's still a nice layer of difficulty, however. Just because it's a breather map, doesn't mean that it's an easy one. There's still a lot of adrenaline in the combat encounters themselves, and you still need to move both quickly and carefully if you want to make it out alive.

I do enjoy how the wad, at least so far, makes use of high tier enemies like the revenant and mancubus, using them as mobile turrets to put pressure on the player. There's nothing quite like the adrenaline rush of avoiding volleys of projectiles as you try and find an opening to attack. Best kind of gameplay, in my opinion.

My stats

Secrets: 100%

Deaths: 1

Bourgeois Megawad Map03: Solitary Refinement\Hurt Me Plenty\Crispy-Doom v.5.10.1\Saves when needed

Results: 100% of everything (First death)

Time: 5:01 min

Another fun map, but can be very tough if you're not ready. The enemy placement is very clever, and, you can make the monsters infight. After I died near the end, I decided to save the megasphere near the switch, and, after grabbing the blue key and the BFG, I ended with 3% health, so... smart move, right? The map layout is very interesting, especially the first area, with the jump and all that stuff.

Deaths: 1

Little edit: I made an UV-Speed demo of the map, I'll send it to DSDA soon, but, here's a preview

Zip: bd03-037.zip

Edited by Lol 6

Map 03-Solitary Confinement: At the start I thought "Wow, this must be very easy" then I looked out a window, worst mistake of my life. This is a good time to talk about the secrets, it isn't hard to find and in this map they hold the blue key, which you need to exit, and in map 01 there is a secret with a BFG and a yellow key, and you need the yellow key to exit there without them, so why call them secrets, they aren't hidden, all you need is the average naked-eye to find them and maybe some platforming, which annoys me a lot. Fun level though. First time I played slow, and I also learned how good the Chainsaw is, ripping cacodemons and hell knights to shreds faster than a fast chaingunner will shread your health. Second play, I played much faster and agressive, and when they came together, Chainsaw. This was the first time I used the rifle, to snipe the shotgunners and an caco that got in the shotgunner corridor.

Conclusion: very fun map, harder than the previous, and confusing secrets :)

Dev note: There are not many “actual secrets” in this wad (just a few). We simply labeled sectors the player is likely to walk into as “secrets” to avoid a discouraging 0% on the tally during intermission.

The whole thing where the game displays a “secret revealed!” message complete with the sound of an Earth-shatteringly loud gong is a ZDoomism that was later adopted by other ports.. If I knew some way to disable that so people weren’t expecting secrets, I would have! (Secrets are totally unfair in deathmatch which is a big part of why none were added)

Map03 - Solitary Refinement

This is my favorite map yet. It has a cold start but turns up the heat quickly. I like how at the beginning you can make a sweet strafe jump and score a super shotgun early. Running over to the megasphere area you’ll be sniped at by hitscanners and unleash more monsters into the starting arena. The next area lures you in with a plasma gun but locks you in with a bunch of demons! Very sneaky design, but I like that if you hit the switch from before you can gain access to the upper level to get the rocket launcher and some much needed cover from the mancubi. The “secret” area was very fun. After getting rid of the chaingunner up top you have to deal with the imps, pinkies and arachnotron. I ended up letting them in fight then taking out the survivors with the chainsaw. After that there is a final all out battle. I think this map makes great use of its limited space by having the courtyard area the location for several fights. Very well done.

MAP 3:SOLITARY REFINEMENT (Crispy Doom, UV w/ Saves)

Here's a lil fun fact about me: I'm more of a cautious Doomer. I tend to analyze and think quickly about what I need to do before going straight into a battle first instead of rushing in headfirst doing it on the fly, I tend to avoid bigger fights when need be, I try to pick off other demons in small groups first, and when infighting happens I let demons settle it out (besides, who am I to get in the middle of a worldstar moment between two demons, they'll help me thin out the numbers lmao). Now, with that known about me, this wad so far somewhat discourages playing it safe and makes you think up of what to do on the fly, which isn't a bad thing mind you b/c I very much love how the layouts force me to act fast or else I'm gonna be stuck dying over and over again. Even with a relaxing beginning this time around, this map lets you know it doesn't fuck around. If you let the Mancubi do the work for you in the center of the map and take out the Revenants while you go out and tackle the weaker enemies scattered around the map, that first part should be a cinch. Take the teleporter, and you'll be taken to a place surrounded by pinkies and imps. Luckily, if you decided to pick up the double-bladed chainsaw (DOOM 64 reference?) that lil room should be no trouble at all. Peering outside the bars you should notice a bunch of demons flooding in the center, and a somewhat handful amount of cacodemons, too. The Cacos are what actually got me for my first death, I guess that's what I get for playing it too safe thinking I should let the demons on the other side of the bars in-fight amongst themselves and not pay attention to the Cacos flying in. You could dive in and get into the mosh pit of monsters, or hang back and let the cacos fly to your area by the lift to get out so you'll have more room to maneuver once you take the lift. Up the lift there should be a bfg and the blue key, and if you saved ammo for it, spam it to take care of the rest.

Map 03: Solitary Refinement

UV | PrBoom+

This one's a blast! Little easier than the first two for me, maybe if only because of the cold start. This one was really fun to learn and I actually spent a little bit of time trying to go through it as fast as I could and got it down to 40 seconds. I feel like these levels really encourage a lot of creative play and challenge setting. Can I beat this without grabbing the berserk? How fast can I do this? How much in-fighting can I set up? Fun stuff. I'd love to try these in deathmatch one of these days.

EDIT! I went into Zandronum and played the first three maps with 3 bots just for fun's sake. That was an immense amount of fun even with just bots. Perfect for this. Oh and I feel dumb because I totally did not realize that the intended method for grabbing the BFG and key in Map 1 was hopping down from the next room. I just hopped onto that ledge from where the first key was lol

Edited by Goody : Added deathmatch thoughts!