Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubh

Whats happening to discussions?

Hi All,

Before I begin I'd like to point out that I think mods on this forum are doing a great job. In fact I love this forum, I have been coming here for 2 years lurking at first, posting for about a year now.
My daily lunchtime routine is as follows, grab a sandwich, get some privacy for a few mins and hit the DW forums and read the news.

This week has kinda been wierd in the way that there seems to be posts/replies about absolutely nothing, people arguing over absolutely nothing and smart remarks coming from all angles. I do believe that certain people are being provoked etc.. which in my opinion does warrant a reply to defend ones opinion but today all I have read is the following:

"
Remove that link NOW.

You're starting to become a moron that does not read the rules. Capice?

[edit]That's better.
"

This wasn't from any forum moderator, in fact it was from somebody who is only here a wet week.

Then when somebody asks a valid question:

"No now go away."

From the same guy!!!!

and then "Leave"

I mean, what the fuck is this all about, I come (like 99% of us)
to this forum to discuss Doom 3. If somebody asks a question, we are here to answer it to the best of our knowledge, NOT to tell them to piss off and "Leave"

This is my opinion and I care about these forums enough to post this thread because I don't want to be back here tomorrow with the same shit to read, and in a month closing on release date, these forums are just filled with spam and gibberish.

DSM my friend, delete this thread if you think it's unacceptable or annoying, and if you think so, I apologise in advance for the hassle.

C'Mon people, we're here to discuss Doom3 not argue.

Its true there has been fights breaking out all over this fourm.
People seem to be forgeting what there here to talk about.This is not the bitching fourm it for doom3. Come one people quit fighting. Its just uncool.

Don't worry, NewDoom went through the same thing a couple months ago. The community was on the verge of destruction, we were literally at a Apocaylpse level on that forum, I think we had like 12 locked threads per week. That's alot for NewDoom, keep in mind.

Don't worry, it'll pass...after a while.

We've had much worse than this. In fact, people like Joe Todd, King ReoL, and Unicorn X end up as comedy relief anyway.

By the way, shouldn't this be in Everything Else?

Hmm, some people have obviously never seen a real flamewar (heh). A few impolite/spamming posts aren't going to bring DW crashing down, you know. After a while the offenders either calm down or get banned.

Melfice Darkmage said:

Don't worry, NewDoom went through the same thing a couple months ago. The community was on the verge of destruction, we were literally at a Apocaylpse level on that forum, I think we had like 12 locked threads per week. That's alot for NewDoom, keep in mind.

Don't worry, it'll pass...after a while.

Well that is not the doomworld situation. We only have a few 'losers' in the forums.

Heh, I had noticed the rise of semi-flames and stuff...

Ichor said:

By the way, shouldn't this be in Everything Else?

...? It's a thread discussing the state of the DOom 3 Forums. Surely that deserves to be in the doom3 forums...

Dubh said:

Then when somebody asks a valid question:

"No now go away."

From the same guy!!!!

and then "Leave"

I voiced the same concern, but to deaf ears. Anyhow, overall discussions have been good throughout, despite the recent trend.

Demons Hand said:

He just isent funny any more.

Indeed. Why can't he be as witty and amusing as he was in this thread, for instance?

I suppose this is a wise idea to bring this up DubH. I've noticed it too.

Most forums have up and down stages. IMO it's what makes a forum a forum (the ups and downs).

Grazza said:

Indeed. Why can't he be as witty and amusing as he was in this thread, for instance?

That cant be serious. If he is John Wells, he had to be doing that just to be a jerk.

Its good to see I wasn't just dreaming it.
Thanks guys.

I understand forums have their ups and downs and thats what makes a forum a forum. Things seem better already.

Just when I saw some of that Kirby dudes posts, my blood just boiled.

Anyway, question for you guys: What the hell do you think John Carmack is going to talk about for 90 MINS at E3???

I have a sneaky feeling Doom will be released that day.

What do you guys think?

I'm thinking they might release it on the tenth anniversary of the first Doom's release, or December 10th of this year. It will also give them a lot of time to work out the bugs.

Question:
Exactly how long were id working on Quake3? Anyone.

I'm just trying to make a comparison. I remember waiting earnestly for Q3 but it never felt like this long.

Anyone know the exact design time for Q3 and D3 so far?

Saturday, March 14th 1998! Quake 3 Announced!
In another startling announcement, John Carmack announced that the id Team, which was originally going to produce a Quake II Mission pack have expanded that into a whole new game, Quake 3!

As with the previous games in the series, a technology demo of the game was released to the public long before its commercial release. In this case, q3test was released for the Macintosh on April 24, 1999, and the Win32 version was release on May 10, 1999. The commercial version was released on December 3, 1999, contained 25 deathmatch maps, 4 CTF maps, and 30 bots to play against.

Announcement = March 14th 1998
Release = December 3, 1999

Doom 3 is the unofficial name for id Software's next full game. The game was unofficially announced on June 1, 2000, in a .plan update by John Carmack:

JC Allready stated that each iteration of the engine will take longer and longer so you can never realy compare! I think the whole DOOM development cycle was 7 months or so

Thanks Zoost,

Hmmmm, I still think releasing in Dec 2003 seems a bit late.
I know about the birthday and all but shit its been ten years now, give or take a few months. I'd put my money on E3 or shortly afterwards. Maybe the test will be released at e3?

Yes, it would be good if the true demo was released then. If anything, it would make the leaked "demo" more of a vintage collector's item. It would still be illegal (I think), but it would no longer be practical to get that if an official, and likely much better, demo was released.

Ok, I banned Kirby X - that should take care of some of those impolite replies.
I haven't seen so many other shitty replies around, but maybe that's because the other Mods took care of them before I got to see them.

Dubh said:

Anyway, question for you guys: What the hell do you think John Carmack is going to talk about for 90 MINS at E3???

Doom3, cheese and his sex life.

that says that from the announcement to the release, q3 took 1 year and 9 months. so far doom 3 has taken 2 years and 8 months...seems overlong. for doom 3 to be release december that will be, if calculations are correct, 42 months.... 3 years and 6 months... that is too fucking LONG!!

Dubh said:

Intimate detail about how all the shit-hot graphical FX work in code. Hardcore SE's love talking about that kind of thing.

That's an amazing amount of time to have spent on this game, to be sure. Few games are ever in development for that long. But I suppose id software could afford to spend both quality and quantity time on this project.

Doom3 has been in development for long enough that some games started after the MacWorld GF3 presentation to try to match the technology shown are already starting to hit the shelves.

I know last year's E3 presentation won't be totally representative of the game, but I really hope id has a lot more up their sleeves.

Scuba Steve said:

Long development time? Well then.. It's settled, Soon to Be best game ever!!

Huh? I thought 3dRealms had gone bankrupt or something.