Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
continuum.mid

[Released] Ultimate MIDI Pack - A community music replacement for the original Doom

1 hour ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

so apologies to all on this thread. I don't mean for my requests for technical assistance to in any way derail the purpose of this thread,

I'm sure a few posts about it are ok. Keeps the thread alive longer 😃

2 hours ago, NeilJohnRips said:

I'm sure a few posts about it are ok. Keeps the thread alive longer 😃

Very true. Thank you. :)

Me: "finally, I have some free time in my life to do the MIDI! I can't wait to-"

-Deadline: 5/28/21

*due college project ptsd commences*

2 minutes ago, Bobby “lolmcswagger” said:

Me: "finally, I have some free time in my life to do the MIDI! I can't wait to-"

-Deadline: 5/28/21

*due college project ptsd commences*

Unlike there, the only consequence here is a decreased likelihood that your MIDI will be included. If you don't think you can finish it, don't get horribly stressed out.

I'm reopening the slot for E3M4; @Bobby “lolmcswagger” took pretty much the entire length of the project, and eventually agreed to take on a hard deadline which has now passed. If anyone else would like to try E3M4, I can send over the work-in-progress MIDI, and it's up to you whether to expand on it or create something entirely new.

To Bobby "lolmcswagger" - please keep working on the track! You may still submit it at any time before the final release of the project, just with less likelihood of it being included.

I'm interested though I don't understand the theme of the song.

On 3/27/2021 at 4:38 PM, northivanastan said:

Ideas: It's the greatest challenge yet, but you're still confident

I suppose if I hear the WIP bobby did I might understand.

Also what's the new deadline?

5 minutes ago, NeilJohnRips said:

I'm interested though I don't understand the theme of the song.

Also what's the new deadline?

Admittedly, the "ideas" I was putting down at that point were pretty vague and open-ended. You don't need to follow them. Here's an alternate one you can use if you want: "This house is a brutal, sadistic torture chamber, but its walls can't contain you." You can also use Bobby's WIP as a starting point.

If you were to claim it today I'd set a deadline for two weeks from now to submit a WIP track. Pretty soon a new project-wide deadline will be set, but not just yet.

Ahhh cool I see.

3 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

"This house is a brutal, sadistic torture chamber, but its walls can't contain you."

Sound perfect for some dirty metal. My forte .... not sorry for that pun :D

4 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

I'd set a deadline for two weeks from now to submit a WIP track

A phew I was worried it was like 2 days time. OK I'll claim E3M4 please. :)

1 minute ago, NeilJohnRips said:

Ahhh cool I see.

Sound perfect for some dirty metal. My forte .... not sorry for that pun :D

A phew I was worried it was like 2 days time. OK I'll claim E3M4 please. :)

Cool, it is yours! I've asked Bobby if he has any updates on his WIP. Although the track was very much not dirty metal you might get something out of it, so I'll send it to you once I get a response.

I hope to have finished my E3M3 in a few days. I'm sending what I have right now already so people can give feedback on it. Here's my work-in-progress. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm happy with what I have up until 1:27. The distortion guitar solo after that will be extended from the 10 seconds it is now to 30-45 seconds. 

I'm also almost ok with what I have from 1:36 until 2:43. After that the piece loops over to the beginning again. I'll tweak all of the exact timings and rhythms in that section: some bits are still clunky.

Edit: the working title is: Eclectic Death.

Sounding good.

On 5/31/2021 at 2:31 PM, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

I'm happy with what I have up until 1:27. The distortion guitar solo after that will be extended from the 10 seconds it is now to 30-45 seconds. 

Maybe something else added in the rhythm section. Also maybe doubel a quieter delayed double of the guitar lead?

All of the remaining slots have at least one in-progress track for them which means it is time to prepare for the final phase of the project.

Firstly: all MIDI slots should have usable tracks by the deadline of June 20th - this specifically goes for @chilpillwill (E1M3), @Peccatum Mihzamiz (E3M3), and @NeilJohnRips (E3M4). If your tracks are not finished by this point then the slots will be reopened, and another final due date will be set. @STILES, @Cammy, and @Bobby “lolmcswagger”, assuming you are still working on alternate tracks for E1M3, E1M10, and E3M4 respectively, you may submit them any time before the proper release of the project.

Once everything is in, release candidates will start coming out. This is an opportunity to go back through, make sure that all of your tracks are finished, and make last minute changes if necessary. I'd also appreciate if people would start playing with the MIDI pack at that point to test the MIDIs and MAPINFO, in both common source ports and DOS vanilla Doom. I will allow two weeks for this, preceding the official release.

This all leads to a final release date somewhere around July 4th, possibly later but hopefully much earlier.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by northivanastan

1 hour ago, northivanastan said:

E1M10

Do you mean there will be a dedicated MIDI for Sewers? In a perfect world, there would be bespoke MIDIs for Sewers, Betray, Tech Gone BadPhobos Mission Control, Kick Attack!, and id Map01. Just saying.

Leaving above aside, I would like to report the D_E2M7 lump (for E4M5) of tfcmidi-0.2.1.wad does not feature the expected MIDI.

Edited by Diabolución : Format.

7 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

Do you mean there will be a dedicated MIDI for Sewers? In a perfect world, there would be bespoke MIDIs for Sewers, Betray, Tech Gone BadPhobos Mission Control, Kick Attack!, and id Map01. Just saying.

It wasn't my idea, it was Cammy's; the MIDI will likely be more of an Easter Egg than anything, since there's no way to make it function in game (since Sewers is only available on PC as a PWAD), but there will be a lump called D_E1M10 that has a MIDI inspired by Sewers.

Want to make E1M4B and E1M8B MIDIs? I can apply the same treatment.

7 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

Leaving above aside, I would like to report the D_E2M7 lump (for E4M5) of tfcmidi-0.2.1.wad does not feature the expected MIDI.

Thanks, I will try to rectify that!

That is just cool. I would kill for a MIDI of his for Betray, by the way...

And no problem!

Edited by Diabolución : I mixed up ‘of his’ and ‘*of him’, I should get some sleep...

Been a long time, relatively speaking, since an update (a week and a half!) But now there's a new MIDI to add - @chilpillwill's track for E1M3. Another newcomer of sorts and a promising one!

I'd like to ping @ReX here too - I still remember your thread on a Doom shareware MIDI pack, and well, now all of the tracks in Doom Shareware have replacements.

Just two tracks left, and they're right next to each other. Enjoy: ultimidi-0.2.4.zip

59 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

I'd like to ping @ReX here too - I still remember your thread on a Doom shareware MIDI pack, and well, now all of the tracks in Doom Shareware have replacements.

Very good to know, @northivanastan. Thanks.

These download numbers are baffling.

Screenshot_20210610-071708.png.88bcca9d07346e01b70dbbcfd32b6278.png

Are there really that many people interested in this project? If so, it's a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

I'll replay Ultimate Doom one of these days and use this great MIDI pack. I'll try and give some feedback as well.

Just now, Adamast0r said:

I'll replay Ultimate Doom one of these days and use this great MIDI pack. I'll try and give some feedback as well.

Keep watching this thread, a release candidate will be coming out soon(TM) and that'd be a great time to test it

Time for another update: added @NeilJohnRips's excellent track for E3M4. Only E3M3 remains, so the next update will be RC1!

For contributors: I may be messaging you soon with questions about the project, so please keep tabs on your DMs.

Enjoy and please give feedback: ultimidi-0.2.5.zip

Hey there, i just finished playing Thy Flesh Consumed with this MIDI Pack and aside from being a great experience i sawed a certain thing, when finishing the episode and going to the Read Text Screen the flat in the background is incorrect it should be MFLR8_3 but instead it shows FLOOR4_8 i recommend to put

interbackdrop = "MFLR8_3"

In the UMAPINFO to solve this problem.

On 6/10/2021 at 11:22 PM, northivanastan said:

These download numbers are baffling.

Screenshot_20210610-071708.png.88bcca9d07346e01b70dbbcfd32b6278.png

Are there really that many people interested in this project? If so, it's a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

I don't know whether they are true or not, it may just be some weird spambot. But don't underestimate the power of the silent dooming majority. For every one of us who post here, there is hundreds if not thousands of dudes who just like their Doom, and are happy to have such a community of dedicated creators.

1 hour ago, GratefulName said:

Hey there, i just finished playing Thy Flesh Consumed with this MIDI Pack and aside from being a great experience i sawed a certain thing, when finishing the episode and going to the Read Text Screen the flat in the background is incorrect it should be MFLR8_3 but instead it shows FLOOR4_8 i recommend to put

interbackdrop = "MFLR8_3"

In the UMAPINFO to solve this problem.

Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

I don't know whether they are true or not, it may just be some weird spambot. But don't underestimate the power of the silent dooming majority. For every one of us who post here, there is hundreds if not thousands of dudes who just like their Doom, and are happy to have such a community of dedicated creators.

I suspect a spambot since normal download numbers were 200-400 up to that point, and 0.2.5 has only 10 downloads now, but who knows. The Doom community is big.

Everyone who contributed (with one exception) should now have been contacted with my hopefully-not-too-obviously-copy-pasted questions. Looking forward to finishing up this pack.

Edited by northivanastan

12 hours ago, northivanastan said:

Thanks for the tip!

I suspect a spambot since normal download numbers were 200-400 up to that point, and 0.2.5 has only 10 downloads now, but who knows. The Doom community is big.

Shhh! Don't rain on my idealism. :)

Srsly tho, I wish you and team every success for this project. I think projects like this are a thing of beauty. Just to highlight that, allow me to share a couple of my favorite projects ever, projects that dedicated themselves to a relatively minor aspect of Doom, but did it wonderfully well.

Point being, that projects like this one massively add to the prevailing Doom culture. I can't Doom without projects like this MIDI replacement one. :)

1) Vanilla emulator for GZDoom: (Definitely one of my non negotiables when playing classic wads.) https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=59412

2) High quality sound effects for all your dooming needs: https://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml

2) CRT emulator for that authentic Dooming experience: (Another non negotiable for my vanilla Dooming.) 

2 minutes ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

Shhh! Don't rain on my idealism. :)

Srsly tho, I wish you and team every success for this project. I think projects like this are a thing of beauty. Just to highlight that, allow me to share a couple of my favorite projects ever, projects that dedicated themselves to a relatively minor aspect of Doom, but did it wonderfully well.

Point being, that projects like this one massively add to the prevailing Doom culture. I can't Doom without projects like this MIDI replacement one. :) 

1) Vanilla emulator for GZDoom: (Definitely one of my non negotiables when playing classic wads.) https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=59412

2) High quality sound effects for all your dooming needs: https://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml

2) CRT emulator for that authentic Dooming experience: (Another non negotiable for my vanilla Dooming.)

:D

I started this project hoping it would become someone's non-negotiable. Glad to hear you are liking it.

Graphics, sounds, and music are big aspects of the game too! People ought to take a more holistic view of media instead of only focusing on one aspect.