Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rotting Corpse

Why I cant spell

I didnt post this bacouse I want you all to feal sorry for me.
I just thoght you all needed to know this.

The school I went to for 1-5th grade the engils program sucked.
The whole school was restaffed by the govt.After fith grade my mom desided that we wshould mom. So we moved and moved (8 times) The school that I went to after Elcart didnt know how to help me.
Even if they could they dident have the time too.We found a school that could help me. I was 16 when we found Basalt Hight School.Im 18 now I can read but ny spelling and writeing need alot of work.

Heh, I've seen worse spelling by professional writers. And Oxbridge graduates.

Languages suck. I hate it when I can't find the words to express something in English. I also hate it that I keep doubting whether I wrote a word the right way or not.

English is probably one of the hardest languages to learn, from a purely rule-based standpoint, if only for the fact that it has so many deviations. You know, "i before e, except after c, blah blah blah". There's a million of those sorts of rules, if you go looking hard enough.

So don't feel bad that you can't fully articulate every thought in your head! Chances are, the language would've killed them all anyway!

DC

Grazza said:

Heh, I've seen worse spelling by professional writers. And Oxbridge graduates.

That would only be due to dyslexia, and Oxbridge students find life there very hard if they can't spell.

Doom-Child said:

English is probably one of the hardest languages to learn

HAhahahahAHAHah

In my experience, english is easier than french, german, spanish and japanese.

Hmm... I've had a few exchange students at my house, and they all said English makes no sense. The only reason I find English easier than any other language is because it's my native language... had I been taught multiple languages at the same time, chances are I would've found English the hardest to get a good grasp on, simply because of all the arbitrary and contradictory rules.

Although, with that said, Japanese is a bitch.

English has always been incredibly easy for me. I'm not saying my English is perfect, but I could read, write and speak it pretty well before I ever got it in school. Maybe because Dutch and English stem from the same original language.

If you think English is hard, try German on for size.

Demons Hand said:

I didnt post this bacouse I want you all to feal sorry for me.
I just thoght you all needed to know this.

The school I went to for 1-5th grade the engils program sucked.
The whole school was restaffed by the govt.After fith grade my mom desided that we wshould mom. So we moved and moved (8 times) The school that I went to after Elcart didnt know how to help me.
Even if they could they dident have the time too.We found a school that could help me. I was 16 when we found Basalt Hight School.Im 18 now I can read but ny spelling and writeing need alot of work.

Good for you. Do you want a cookie?

I do have sympathy for you, DH. For me, though, English is as easy like breathing. Spelling too. Once you get past all the idiotic rules, you're in the clear. :)I'm planning on taking Japanese to fulfill my foreign language credits -- I got hooked on it from reading James Clavell books like Gai-Jin and Shogun. It should be a good challenge.

English is such a fucked up language because it's actually not one but like five languages mashed together. English started out as a Germanic language with runic lettering, which was supplanted by Latin letters and permeated to form Anglo-Saxon. This then mixed with Scandanavian languages like Norse and Danish to form what we consider Old English. Then came the Norman invasion of 1066, and England spoke French for about two hundred years, and when English reemerged it took the form of Middle English with all sorts of French influences. Then more recently the language took on more aspects from old Latin and Greek to form what we consider Modern English.

One of the weird things that this has done is to basically give us many more words than we really need, because lots of objects and concepts have different English words from different origins, which give slightly different impressions. Like the Anglo "fuck, piss, shit" versus the Latin "fornicate, urinate, defecate." When you're talking normally, you'll often use a mix of Anglo/French words, while when you want to sound more educated and higher class you'll instead use a mix of French/Latin terms.

This mishmash of languages is what makes the spelling so blatantly broken. Instead of simple easy to follow rules like most languages English has all sorts of weird rules and exceptions and counter-exceptions. However, one thing thats interesting about English as a language is that while there are very strict (and often contradictory) rules regarding its spelling, there are almost no real rules regarding pronunciation, which leads to the giant array of accents people speak English with around the world. In fact, it's this seeming resistance to standardize the spoken form of English that makes it possible for its written version to have such strange rules, because there's not always a "correct" way to spell it fonetikalee. Attempts to do so have tried and failed miserably.

You know how there's some differences between American English and British English? Things like "color" vs "colour" and so on. Those changes were actually DELIBERATELY introduced by Daniel Webster when he was writing his famous dictionary, because he wanted to differentiate the American language from its British origins (national pride and so on). Not all of Webster's suggestions caught on; he wanted to basically change the spelling of everything, making new words like "wurd", "tung", "reezon", "iz", etc etc. How godawful would it be for us then if we had to remember two different spelling for each word, not to mention all the extraneous words we already have, not to mention the stupid spelling rules for those words...

Demons Hand said:

I wnat learn to speek egption. I all ready know some (poitns to sig).

Why not Ancient Egyptian. :P

Oh, and any school education program sucks.

Je vais aller au cinema, et toi? Tu voudrais aller au cinema avec moi?

Personally, after learning two languages...the rest become easy.

ravage said:

Why not Ancient Egyptian. :P

Thats what I ment. Just so every one knows..Nas Akhu Khan she en Asbiu meens "Invocation to thos who dwell in the Lake of Flames."

Disorder said:

So, what IS the hardest language to learn?

Id say any dead one. Becouse its hard to find nut jobs like me that know some thing about them.

Heh...despite being a huge fan of English lit and writing essays, I suck at English. There are certain words I still cannot spell no matter what I try, like mellenium...millinium...melinium...whatever. Also, I still have a hell of a time with comma placement. I guess when I speak, I pause more than most people, because I tend to put extra commas in my sentances.

the_Danarchist said:

Heh...despite being a huge fan of English lit and writing essays, I suck at English. There are certain words I still cannot spell no matter what I try, like mellenium...millinium...melinium...whatever. Also, I still have a hell of a time with comma placement. I guess when I speak, I pause more than most people, because I tend to put extra commas in my sentances.

Millenium, and that's without looking at Lut's title. :P

I didn't understand English grammar very well until I took Latin. You're either forced to understand your native grammar or you fail. I'm not sure how well other languages do this, but it couldn't hurt.

Each language has its pros and cons.

Doom-Child said:

English is probably one of the hardest languages to learn, from a purely rule-based standpoint

NO

You can shoot yourself now. Get it? Get it? :P

Demons Hand said:

So we moved and moved (8 times)

Your maths is shot too, that's twice, not 8 times :P

Zaldron said:

HAhahahahAHAHah

I've been learning Swedish for 17.5 years. Needless to say, the language has been a natural part of my environment, and today I handle it at an academic level.

Roughly half of that time, a bit over 9 years, has passed since I had my first English lessons at school. I'm quite skilled with the language now. Fascinatingly, I nowadays feel much more comfortable when writing in English than when writing in Swedish, I simply tend to find the right words and expressions quicker, and it occurs a LOT when I'm writing a text in Swedish that I think in English and need to consult a dictionary or resort to a less acrobatic construction to find the thought's equivalent in Swedish :)

And now, for the comparison, I used to study French for 4 years. Two years have passed since I quit, and how much do I remember? Not more than some half-shitty pronounciation and less than fifty words!

What am I trying to say? The catch here is that I actually think French is a more structured language than English. There are simply fewer grammatical exceptions and abnormalities. Pronounciation isn't so hard either. So how come I've adapted English so much more than French?

Short answer. The reason why English is "easy to learn" is that we get fed with it constantly. Have I learned anything from hundreds of retarded grammar exercises? Not really. Have I learned anything from the exuberant flow of English in music, magazines, on TV, in movies, in books, on the 'net, etc? Hell yes. And I NEVER see or hear any French anywhere.