Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Biz!

Ultimate Doom: How we saw '95 [CANCELLED]

15 hours ago, LoneAlpha2401 said:

Making progress on E2M7, trying to stay faithful.

Screenshots:

Hide contents

HcYfvLw.png

IYcbVnf.png

hJDZVnd.png

I'm going to back out of including these maps as I don't feel they fit the style of this project.

wow, this looks better than my STARTAN2 maps

hey there, here's my E2M9, another speed map for this CP

E2M9wesaw95.rar

Info:

Spoiler

===========================================================================

Title: Fortress of Mystery

filename: E2M9wesaw95.wad

Author: lokbustam257

Description: The map does look like a "fortress" right?

* Play Information *

Game: (Ultimate) Doom, but registered Doom should also work

Map: E2M9

Single Player: Designed for

Cooperative 2-4 Player: Player starts only

Deathmatch 2-4 Player: No

Difficulty Settings: Yes

* Construction *

Base: New from scratch

Build time: 4 hours

Editor(s) used: Ultimate Doom Builder, Doom Builder X

May not run with: Vanilla .EXE

Known Issue(s): The map does indeed work in vanilla source port, but some sprites of the monster may disappear when playing in source port that can't handle 128+ sprites at once, for more info of this glitch, check out this Doom Wiki page: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Vanilla_Doom_engine_mapping_reference#128_Sprites

Tested with: Chocolate Doom 3.0.1, LZDoom 3.87c

On 5/27/2021 at 11:43 AM, Tycitron said:

This sounds awesome, we will finally have a version of The Ultimate Doom 2 for Doom 1.

It would be cool to actually do the whole Doom 2 instead of 20 levels. Maybe it could be done for the 30th anniversary of Doom 2. While still being vanilla.

Edited by Engired

On 5/18/2021 at 6:35 AM, Walter confetti said:

Interesting concept,just a question: this project aims for a modern remake of the original doom maps, right?

Something like this, right?

The "this" in your post is an awesome megawad that's a blast to play.

48 minutes ago, Engired said:

It would be cool to actually do the whole Doom 2 instead of 20 levels. Maybe it could be done for the 30th anniversary of Doom 2. While still being vanilla.

You gotta remember the guy isnt done with that project, pretty sure the when its done all 32 levels will be complete. Im just saying that because im excited for this project.

hey guys hey

You know, this project is pretty cool. Remember when I played some of your maps and put them on the youtube? Well a guy who hangs out in my comments, Stavi Vanackerson, felt inspired to make a map from memory. It's interesting that this project caused this motivation  - I don't think he's even on doomworld

But here is video anyway

Just thought I would share - I think it's great how this project reached out in such a way

23 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

E2M9wesaw95.rar

Info:

Hide contents

Title: Fortress of Mystery

filename: E2M9wesaw95.wad

Author: lokbustam257

Description: The map does look like a "fortress" right?

* Play Information *

Game: (Ultimate) Doom, but registered Doom should also work

Map: E2M9

Single Player: Designed for

Cooperative 2-4 Player: Player starts only

Deathmatch 2-4 Player: No

Difficulty Settings: Yes

* Construction *

Base: New from scratch

Build time: 4 hours

Editor(s) used: Ultimate Doom Builder, Doom Builder X

May not run with: Vanilla .EXE

Known Issue(s): The map does indeed work in vanilla source port, but some sprites of the monster may disappear when playing in source port that can't handle 128+ sprites at once, for more info of this glitch, check out this Doom Wiki page: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Vanilla_Doom_engine_mapping_reference#128_Sprites

Tested with: Chocolate Doom 3.0.1, LZDoom 3.87c

On 5/28/2021 at 9:05 AM, lokbustam257 said:

Why are you speed mapping for a non-speed mapping project? I know Redoom didn't give very detailed instructions but, it seems a bit silly to rush your maps when nobody else is doing that... 

16 minutes ago, sectrslayr said:

I just realized that my first two maps would have been a perfect fit for this project. 🤔

I enjoyed your episode one maps the most - are you planning to continue on or have you moved on to doom 2?

50 minutes ago, Clippy said:

I enjoyed your episode one maps the most - are you planning to continue on or have you moved on to doom 2?

Thanks! 😊 I’m continuing to map on E1. Currently on-off working on E1M3. Will take some time but eventually there will be a „Knee Deep Again“ release. That’s the plan. 😎

Here is my vision of E1M5, Phobos Lab.

Phobos Lab is the first level in the original game with teleporters. I imagine that the Phobos Lab is where the initial teleportation experiments happened on Phobos (aside from the Anomaly itself) so I wanted to highlight that with giant machinery, room-sized computers and prototype teleportation pads. 

The wad should run under vanilla limits in Chocolate Doom, but was also tested with PrBoom+. I wanted to keep that classic Doom feel and keeping it under the original limits helped with that.

Let me know what you think :-)

Screenshots

Spoiler

eKixrDY.png

MPi4YRQ.png

k4KFs3Z.png

Download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zju7psw3ejj3tgj/CT_Phobos_Lab_v2.zip/file

Edited by Captain Toenail : updated link

14 hours ago, Captain Toenail said:

This is an awesome interpretation of my favorite Episode 1 map, @Captain Toenail. I think I noticed some Doom 3 and Halfe-Life influences nicely implemented in vanilla. ;-) Big rooms with machinery and all surrounded by offices. Nice techbase!

14 hours ago, Captain Toenail said:

Nicely done, intricate layout. Progression seems a bit complex. Cacos and Lost Souls are the perfect enemy for the big tech caverns -  yet they don't appear in the original. I know, in the end it's gameplay tradeoff... Good map!

16 hours ago, Captain Toenail said:

Phobos Lab is the first level in the original game with teleporters. I imagine that the Phobos Lab is where the initial teleportation experiments happened on Phobos (aside from the Anomaly itself) so I wanted to highlight that with giant machinery, room-sized computers and prototype teleportation pads. 

The wad should run under vanilla limits in Chocolate Doom, but was also tested with PrBoom+. I wanted to keep that classic Doom feel and keeping it under the original limits helped with that.

Screenshots

Reveal hidden contents

eKixrDY.png

MPi4YRQ.png

k4KFs3Z.png

Download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ce5lb5twuo3ri70/CT_Phobos_Lab.zip/file

@sectrslayr Thank you for the glowing review, glad you enjoyed it!

@Clippy Thanks for taking the time to record and play the map, appreciate it. Looks like you got a little lost! You actually got 8/9 secrets - the map powerup secret failed to trigger - I will need to fix that.

After viewing I realised I forgot to place explosive barrels in the map and deathmatch starts. Also I will get rid of that blinking effect to the north because honestly it was making me feel a bit queasy myself. Quick fixes expect a new download later today.

Again, thanks for playing. can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

7 minutes ago, Captain Toenail said:

@sectrslayr Thank you for the glowing review, glad you enjoyed it!

@Clippy Thanks for taking the time to record and play the map, appreciate it. Looks like you got a little lost! You actually got 8/9 secrets - the map powerup secret failed to trigger - I will need to fix that.

After viewing I realised I forgot to place explosive barrels in the map and deathmatch starts. Also I will get rid of that blinking effect to the north because honestly it was making me feel a bit queasy myself. Quick fixes expect a new download later today.

Again, thanks for playing. can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

Awesome I truly loved this map and I'm glad to hear my video helped you fix some stuff

Good times

18 hours ago, Captain Toenail said:

Screenshots

Reveal hidden contents

eKixrDY.png

MPi4YRQ.png

k4KFs3Z.png

Download:

v2 download soon

Really like the map, I like how you make the map look like a real place, especially the one with the prototype Cyberdemon, good stuff! My complain is, sometime I have lost when searching the red key, because I so stupid not to realize there's a switch behing the table that lowers it, still pretty good for the most part.

@lokbustam257 Thanks for the feedback - based on this I have made some of the buttons more noticeable.

Here is the updated version.

Changes:

• Spoiler

• Made some essential buttons more obvious
    • Removed blinking sector lights in northern area
    • Computer map column is wider so secret sector is triggered
    • Added explosive barrels
    • Added deathmatch starts
    • Small texture tweaks
    • Small item position tweaks

Download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zju7psw3ejj3tgj/CT_Phobos_Lab_v2.zip/file

I'm remaking my levels with a focus on limit-removing features. (I think that's allowed now, if I read correctly.) E3M3 is going for more of a fleshy techno-hell theme, and E4M5 is more of a floating fire-and-brimstone hell temple sort of deal. I'll update with screenshots when they're ready! I'm excited for these two levels.

1 hour ago, The Kingslayer said:

I'm remaking my levels with a focus on limit-removing features. (I think that's allowed now, if I read correctly.)

What? Where did you read that?

3 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

What? Where did you read that?

Redoom posted that limit removing is allowed on May 23, it's on page 4 if you're looking for it.

Well shit. Someone should have slapped me harder when I posted information on vanilla mapping limits after that... now I've gone and spent the last two weeks painstakingly crafting details within the restrictions. :(

2 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

Well shit. Someone should have slapped me harder when I posted information on vanilla mapping limits after that... now I've gone and spent the last two weeks painstakingly crafting details within the restrictions. :(

Don't even worry about it! I love limit-breaking stuff, but it's also fun what people can do with the restrictions. I'm actually working on a vanilla compatible megaWAD as a side project. There's something charming about how abstract and chunky things look.