Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dynamo

Discussion About Realm667

Realm667 appears to be down, by the way. Does that mean that all of Torm's hosted projects are gone too?

Aaagh. I was just thinking earlier today that I should download the whole thing while the resources were still available - I hope that Torm reconsiders because he still created an amazing resource for the community despite this.

1 minute ago, Dynamo said:

Realm667 appears to be down, by the way. Does that mean that all of Torm's hosted projects are gone too?

I'd certainly hope not, since that means that I won't have anywhere else to post my custom assets and resources like custom NPCs. Besides making my own crappy ZDoom forum thread hosting them all, which nobody besides me will even look at.

If Realm667 stays down, then I hope someone has already archived it and that someone will make their own (Z)Doom resource repository. Since Realm667 was and still is an extremely useful resource for people to use.

5 minutes ago, inkoalawetrust said:

that someone will make their own (Z)Doom resource repository. Since Realm667 was and still is an extremely useful resource for people to use.

there seems to be a gap in the market but I would lobby for the replacement to be all DEHEXTRA and no DECORATE

23 minutes ago, Gwarl said:

there seems to be a gap in the market but I would lobby for the replacement to be all DEHEXTRA and no DECORATE

I'd much rather have a repository that allows any Doom resources from DeHackEd to DECORATE and ZScript to even EDF and VavoomC, to improve upon Realm667 having only been a ZDoom repository. Rather than one that still forces me into the shitty alternative of a thread nobody will see.

And funny story about R667 being a ZDoom repository, for the longest of time it didn't allow PK3 submissions, even though there was absolutely no reason to not allow them. And this continued until I convinced Tormentor otherwise a few weeks ago. So maintainers like Gothic and Blue Shadow would accept the original and proper PK3 version of my tank, instead of the crappy WAD version. Where I had to cram something specifically designed with a folder structure in mind to a WAD file to submit it on a ZDOOM REPOSITORY.

Edited by inkoalawetrust

Looks like Realm667 is officially down, possibly for good.

Hopefully someone archived the Repository (monsters, weapons, props, etc.). Those will still be useful to those just starting out in the modding scene especially since the Repository was basically a community project.

Besides, someone else could always take up the slack of hosting a community-driven repository of resources.

So considering how things went down, I would like to make a port-mortem statement.

All in all, it’s beyond saddening to see that what started out as a tribute to the WolfenDoom series not only answer the question of:

”How do you make the premise of killing literal Nazis feel tasteless?”

…but also went out of its way to alienate so many pillars in the Doom community who the author called acquaintances or even friends. And in such a cynical and chud-like way.

Anyway, were the files from the Repository archived?

I really hope Torm at least will give us access to a backup of the Repository. It isn't just a Tormentor thing, the whole community contributed for years really useful stuff.

2 minutes ago, inkoalawetrust said:

I'd much rather have a repository that allows any Doom resources from DeHackEd to DECORATE and ZScript to even EDF and VavoomC. Rather than one that still forces me into the shitty alternative of a thread nobody will see.

Agreed. I found it very difficult to find custom resources outside of realm667, Not looking forward to the implications of that site going down.

Wish there was a better way to find more stuff out there

1 minute ago, Man of Doom said:

Hopefully someone archived the Repository (monsters, weapons, props, etc.). Those will still be useful to those just starting out in the modding scene especially since the Repository was basically a community project.

I believe a fair few backups have been made, including when Torm originally announced he was leaving the scene.

I understand there are already conversations taking place about potentially opening an alternative repository, but obviously these are very early days.  It could always come back (it's gone down before at occasions that suspiciously align to when Torm has felt slighted, only to return a few days later).

1 minute ago, Gothic said:

I really hope Torm at least will give us access to a backup of the Repository. It isn't just a Tormentor thing, the whole community contributed for years really useful stuff.

So I guess he just did all this without giving any warning to you and Blue Shadow then ? Well shit.

1 minute ago, Snaxalotl said:

Agreed. I found it very difficult to find custom resources outside of realm667, Not looking forward to the implications of that site going down.

Same, plus I had began contributing assets to the repository like my MBT (Whose render is my current avatar by the way.), with full proper code written for it, to also try to remove this idea of R667 only being as useful as the sound and sprite assets its' submissions have, due to the code in it being in major dissaray formatting wise and just insanely outdated in general, like that one submission that legit used pre-2008 DECORATE code.

Before the mods lock this thread, I want to inform everyone that Tormentor has also taken down the ZDoom repository in addition to Realm667.

Additionally, @Major Arlene is putting together a collaborative effort to recover as much of Realm667’s Repository as possible.

Besides the repository, he also made some mods, even if some aren't up to everyone's tastes. (even if this means backing up everything except BOA chapter 3)

It's still a bit of history and i think some of them can still play well, but Jesus, what the Hell happened?

Spoiler

At least i know Realm667 isn't down from EU copyright filter shit.

Like, we're all adults here, what is it with these types of drama still happening?

Sometimes, i can't blame new Doom fans that don't touch the classic games, if this is what they see out of the old blood.

Some people need therapy, at the very least.

2 minutes ago, IvanDobrovski said:

I fail to see the reasoning for reopening this thread if he's banned for good. Hasn't there been enough discussion already? Things already moved out to github.

Well now at least it's basically focused on what we'll do if Daniel keeps Realm667 closed for good.

5 minutes ago, Snaxalotl said:

I have some backups of content from realm667 incase that helps anyone, mostly angled weapons but it also includes a chandelier and key variants.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zUzRn4cRL_1ZDHNAk841xBCss85t6wuX/view?usp=sharing

I'll see if I have anymore hidden somewhere.

I think I've got some of the ZIP archives from some of the resources I download from there still around.

I've also got a bunch of the WADs from there archived, but I'm not sure which ones are the originals and which ones have changes I've made myself, such as adding editor numbers, changing some syntax etc.

2 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

Before the mods lock this thread, I want to inform everyone that Tormentor has also taken down the ZDoom repository in addition to Realm667.

Additionally, @Major Arlene is putting together a collaborative effort to recover as much of Realm667’s Repository as possible.

Where can I we join that ?

How recent are the repository backups? And how good is the Wayback Machine's mirror of the site? It would be heartbreaking to see such a historic place disappear thanks to a single person's ego.

7 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

Where would I go to contribute to that? It's not much, but I saved a majority of the Strife bestiary.

4 minutes ago, Giant Jumbo Jellyfish said:

How recent are the repository backups? And how good is the Wayback Machine's mirror of the site? It would be heartbreaking to see such a historic place disappear thanks to a single person's ego.

The Wayback Machine archives are pretty damn old, if you go to the repository itself on it. The last snapshot was from before my tank submission was accepted like 2 months ago, which also obviously means that the next 4-6 submissions before the site's closure are not archived on the Wayback Machine, which is pretty bad IMO.

Last of the repository i remember seeing was a thunderblot-like weapon.

I also recall a camera/skybox feature, a sniper enemy and some vaccum-like weapon(?).

1 minute ago, whatup876 said:

Last of the repository i remember seeing was a thunderblot-like weapon.

I also recall a camera/skybox feature, a sniper enemy and some vaccum-like weapon(?).

Yeah those are about the last few submissions from before the site was shut down, the vacuum-like weapon you are thinking off may have been the very last submission, which IIRC was some kind of thunder gun. Also that sky camera is mine lol, based on code by DrPyspy.

3 hours ago, Mordeth said:

I've just banned @Tormentor667 indefinitely.

🤣👉

30 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

Anyway, were the files from the Repository archived?

there was a thread that popped up after the leaving drama about how we need mirrors for the repository, so i figure someone from there would've archived it

I think someone should also notify Hobomaster22 about what's happening with Realm667 too, in case they're not aware of it. Their Doom Launcher is on there (although it's available on GitHub).

Realm667 going down is a huge blow to the community, whether or not you're a fan of Tormentor. I really hope people can upload a backup or at least still have their files for re-upload at a different site. 

I was checking realm667 as recently as yesterday, and i can say that whatever archives out there most likely lack a lot of things that have been bulk submitted recently this month. And it was pretty useful stuff too.

Trusting important resources to single point of failure is really not a good idea. But I would wager much of it could be reconstituted.

I have some of my weapons backed up, and some texture packs as well, but I'm still waiting for a response from Torm on github.

3 minutes ago, MattFright said:

I was checking realm667 as recently as yesterday, and i can say that whatever archives out there most likely lack a lot of things that have been bulk submitted recently this month. And it was pretty useful stuff too.

we can probably get the og authors to contribute to the mirrors, provided they're not part of torm's circle of friends

What a shitty hill to die on.

All this work on a genuinely impressive mod, effectively down the drain.

Punishing multiple communities for something they had no hand in what-so-ever in response.

Just now, roadworx said:

we can probably get the og authors to contribute to the mirrors, provided they're not part of torm's circle of friends

Well I'm still here, and will be very willing to contribute to a new repository for the reasons I mentioned in the last page, so I can send the files for the parallaxing sky camera and main battle tank. At least I can if I can get in contact with the people working on scavenging Realm667, also holy shit this thread is going really fast and I can barely keep up with it.