What's your favorite Hexen hub?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Hexen hub?

• Seven Portals
    • Shadow Wood
    • Heresiarch\'s Seminary
    • Castle of Grief
    • Necropolis

I like pretty much all of them, though I seem to favor Seven Portals...

shadow wood is the best and if you disagree you are a slathering retard, your mother is a whore and your father is fredrik

and you forgot the necropolis

shareware hub.

However, if someone made a necropolis-shadow wood hub without annoying puzzles, that would be cool.

The shareware hub would be half of Shadow Wood. You can't even complete the whole thing without cheating because you can't enter maps 5 or 6.

Ichor said:

The shareware hub would be half of Shadow Wood. You can't even complete the whole thing without cheating because you can't enter maps 5 or 6.

It's half of the Seven Portals. And mystery behind why they did that makes it that much more fun.

ravage said:

It's half of the Seven Portals. And mystery behind why they did that makes it that much more fun.

Exactly, why did they do that? When I first got the demo, I thought it was sort of gay, and not fun at all. I don't understand why you couldn't just play the whole first hub, minus the secret level.

WT_, there are no "annoying" puzzles. Without the puzzles, the game would be nothing. Just a grueling medeival shooter with colors.

If a person is too dumb to handle puzzles, then there are plenty of games out there for said person.

"Activate a switch which does something on a different level without giving you any idea what or where" is not a puzzle.

It's a _______ enigma, it's _______ unique, it's legendary. The game was like constantly opening presents.

AndrewB said:
It's a _______ enigma, it's _______ unique, it's legendary. The game was like constantly opening presents.

Yeah, a present filled with those foam peanuts. You dig around in it a bit before you can find out what it is that you got.

That being said though, I seriously doubt that these puzzles are any more difficult than the OoT Master Quest. Flipping Moses in a mini-skirt... trying to get through some of those dungeons was just nuts.

Hexen had so many god damn annoying and senseless puzzles that I had to give up on the 3rd hub because I couldn't find out why the fuck nothing was working. Anyway, Shadow Wood gets my vote because Darkmere is like the greatest level in FPS history, right up there with E2M7 in Doom, Beta_One the DN3D user-made level, and Blast Pit from Half-Life.

There's nothing wrong with the puzzles, as long as they don't suck. Hexen IMO had a few good ones too. :)

Heresiarch's seminary gets my vote - couldn't stand shadow wood as it was the single hardest hub of them all to solve and I ended up going half crazy about those damn switches that I couldn't find.
In the seminary, all you need to do is figure out that you have to aim at each individual socket to insert the planets and then you should be going - the second puzzle is annoying but not as bad as the one in Shadow Wood imho.

Castle of Grief is the second best imo.

eh, I dunno, I never beat the first one. I think I got stuck on an ice place.

shadow wood was the only good thing about hexen, all the other hubs look like they were made by puzzle fanatics trying their best to annoy the hell out of you.

the_Danarchist said:

...Darkmere is like the greatest level in FPS history, right up there with E2M7 in Doom, Beta_One the DN3D user-made level, and Blast Pit from Half-Life.

Yes, Darkmere and Blast Pit would be on my shortlist for best map from any game, certainly in terms of atmosphere.

As for the actual question, for me it's a toss-up between Shadow Wood and Heresiarch's Seminary. Probably the latter.

dsm said:

Heresiarch's seminary gets my vote - couldn't stand shadow wood as it was the single hardest hub of them all to solve and I ended up going half crazy about those damn switches that I couldn't find.
In the seminary, all you need to do is figure out that you have to aim at each individual socket to insert the planets and then you should be going - the second puzzle is annoying but not as bad as the one in Shadow Wood imho.

Castle of Grief is the second best imo.

Second that. I think its my fave cuz of a boss battle. Hexen needed more boss battles. I dont count the second time ya fight Heresiarch a boss battle cuz its been done befor.

What about the Death Wyvern, which was at the end of Hypostyle (map 12)?

Ichor said:

What about the Death Wyvern, which was at the end of Hypostyle (map 12)?

Dude after faceing that damn Heresiarch the huge bat was easy for me I guse some people find fighting the death wyvern hared but I didnt.
I jutst used a lot of those repail diskes on it and It was over befor I knew it.

It may not be much of a boss monster (especially since in Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, there's four of them in one map), but it does count as a boss monster. I just use the Wings of Wrath and hit it from behind until he dies.

Ya it was a bit to easy. When I say boss battle mean the sort of ones that kill ya 15 time then ya fianaly beat them.That damn Heresiarch
reflicted every attack I did back at me. The first time I beat him those damn monster that telaport in after ya kill him ended up killing me. That realy sucked ass.

That is annoying. It's like fighting two Cyberdemons at the same time, then a Spider Mastermind with a host of chaingunners, then 3 Arch-Viles, and just when you're about to exit the map with hardly any health left, a zombieguy kills you.

I've mentioned this before, but if you're playing as a mage, use an Icon of the Defender, then shoot your Bloodscourge at him while his reflective shield is active. If nothing gets in the way, the fireballs will simply bounce back and forth bewteen you two until one of your shields wear off.

First couple of times I fought the Death Wyvern, with any class, he was damn hard. If he would stop flying around and flinging those multi-explosion fireballs at you, he wouldn't be so hard. He still gives me a hard time. Korax, OTOH, is dreadfully easy for a final boss.

That reminds me...

For those who have played Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, which one of those hubs is your favorite: Blight, Constable's Gate, or Nave? I considered adding these to the poll options, but I don't think very many people played the expansion. As for my choice, I'd probably go with Constable's Gate, followed closely by Nave. Some of the maps in the first one were annoying (especially Sump).

And as for the original hubs, I'll go with either Castle of Grief. I would have picked Necropolis, but it seemed too short for me. Korax himself was much too easy, and even the scripts he uses aren't much of a challenge. The only real problem I face is when he releases the Chaos Serpents and Dark Bishops, but even then they die quickly.