Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

image.png

I have a feeling this will see some popularity, from Dragonfly.

people will never learn

On 3/17/2021 at 6:55 AM, Zakken said:

PrBoom+. Its performance is amazing, its alternative HUD is nice to look at, and I personally find the setting menus very comfy to navigate.

Hell yes!

A tie between K8Vavoom and Doomsday.  The former because it does everything I want in a Doom port, and it feels more "right" than other ports as far as what I expect from Doom.  It also just looks awesome, and I find it nicer to map for.  Also, I can adjust the player's friction in the option menu, so I can get movement like in Quake :3

The latter because of nostalgia, and basically the same reasons as K8 (i.e. how it looks feels - no, I don't use the 3d models).  I also always liked its DED/XG language a bit more than other similar things, and how it structures its PK3 files.

GZDoom has the best gameplay mods, and I suffer from a crippling condition where I simply must play through a wad with High Noon Drifter immediately after beating it vanilla.

On 4/21/2021 at 11:00 AM, hybridial said:

GZDoom, pretty much for having fully integrated controller support. 

One of the primary reasons for me (besides mods). It's just way comfortable to have a gamepad in my left hand and a mouse in my right. People think it's weird, but history will one day vindicate me.

10 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

One of the primary reasons for me (besides mods). It's just way comfortable to have a gamepad in my left hand and a mouse in my right. People think it's weird, but history will one day vindicate me.

It has been already, it's well documented how horribly unergonomic the keyboard is to play games with. I still play cursor based games with the mouse, but had to move to controller only for everything else a long time ago because of pain issues. 

Crispy Doom for that crispy was, Prboom+ is second best for me, I wish it would have lighting settings though so it isn't so bright without a GL renderer, it probably is there and I haven't found it though.

For most things, I use GZDoom, since it has the most mod support and most modern features. If I want to go for a more "comfortable retro" feel, I like to pop ol' ZDoom on since it more closely emulates that old-school experience. However, if for whatever reason I decide to go full-on 90s mode, Crispy Doom is my port of choice.

On 10/7/2020 at 12:25 PM, CBM said:

Unsure about what GZDoom actually stands for....

Months late, but GZDoom= OpenGL + ZDoom

I started out using GZDoom, although it's really fallen out of favor with me. Now I'm a PRBoomer, as I stick to almost entirely vanilla and Boom content anyway. Also the DOSDoom and MBF compatibility is nice. 

For more modern and performance heavy wads I use GLBoom+ and Eternity.

My multipayer port of choice is Zdaemon

I don't hate ZDoom based ports, but I prefer the vanilla stuff. The only thing I fire LZDoom up for nowadays is the Final Doomer weapon mod, which is excellent.

I'm glad that ZDoom exists, as it let's people push Doom super far and be incredibly creative. It's just not for me. 

Edited by Dusty_Rhodes

Crispy Doom cause it's easy to do stuff with for what it does. Got another port to run more advanced stuff but still gonna use Crispy Doom if it's at all an option for convenience.

These days it's more or less a tie between GZDoom and k8vavoom.  I use GZDoom for most user maps and see it as the most versatile of the advanced source ports but k8vavoom has an increasing number of standout features like the dynamic lighting and horizontally moving polyobjects.