Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omx32x

best dos games?

im getting into dos now and i was thinking what are your favorite dos games?

Doom

Lotus III The Ultimate Challenge

Lemmings

Duke Nukem 3D

Tie Fighter

The Incredible Machine

Indycar Racing

Monkey Island

Raptor Call of the Shadows

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe

Theme Hospital

Hey, I'm very much into DOS games, not in small part for the nostalgia reason, but also because there are many, many different and interesting titles out there. Besides, thanks to DOSBox DOS games are effectively cross-platform and in most cases guaranteed to run on anything, by contrast with many early Windows (I mean Win32) titles which often have very poor legacy compatibility unless you use Wine in any form, or old Linux stuff (but for that you should have fresh builds from source, at least in theory).

DOS also happens to embrace a rather prolonged period of time, during which games made several technological and conceptual leaps (one of those milestones being Doom itself). But every part of that period has some charming titles, some of which have aged quite well.

I addition to the dosgames.com site mentioned above, I invite you to check out DOS Games Archive as well.

1 minute ago, MrFlibble said:

Hey, I'm very much into DOS games, not in small part for the nostalgia reason, but also because there are many, many different and interesting titles out there. Besides, thanks to DOSBox DOS games are effectively cross-platform and in most cases guaranteed to run on anything, by contrast with many early Windows (I mean Win32) titles which often have very poor legacy compatibility unless you use Wine in any form, or old Linux stuff (but for that you should have fresh builds from source, at least in theory).

DOS also happens to embrace a rather prolonged period of time, during which games made several technological and conceptual leaps (one of those milestones being Doom itself). But every part of that period has some charming titles, some of which have aged quite well.

I addition to the dosgames.com site mentioned above, I invite you to check out DOS Games Archive as well.

oh im browsing dosgames.com now and i downloading every weird adventure game with horror or mystery elements from there 

2 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

oh im browsing dosgames.com now and i downloading every weird adventure game with horror or mystery elements from there 

I'm not a big fan of adventures but this genre is very prolific, especially if you're interested/don't mind user-made content. For example, there are loads of adventure games based on Sierra's AGI and SCI interpreters which have been reverse-enginnered by the community:

http://sciprogramming.com/fangames.php?eng=both

Escape from Delirium is also pretty odd (there's also a Doom reference):

https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/escape-from-delirium/

I have too many favorites to list, but if I had to only pick one game that stood out back in the late 90s when I was using real hardware, it would be Duke Nukem 3D. I had never in my life seen anything like that up to that point in video games. The character actually had a voice, each alien felt different from each other and I remember the pig cop being quite frightening because in the dark you still saw their red eyes. We didn’t have music at the time either, so you only heard the ambient noises, the roaming aliens, etc. made things quite more intense at that particular time in my life, and that’s probably why it’s always been a favorite of mine, and is one of the few games that really motivated me to strive to make games of my own. 

I’d also mention Quake and Heretic, which we had both around the same time we got Duke 3D. I actually played Heretic and Quake before I played Doom. Heretic, only had the first release back then, not the expansion. 

We didn’t have disc for Duke and Heretic, we were gifted them by a family friend, and they came over and installed the games on it for us, but we did own Quake on disc. 

I remember the computer we had crashed while playing Duke it Out in DC and they never fixed it, so I went a long while without playing these games on PC. We didn’t have a disc to heretic since it was installed by someone else. So years went by and nobody could remember the name of the game. We kept referring to it as... Quicken. Now, of course that is an actual cheat code in Heretic for god mode (didn’t realize that at that time though), but imagine how long it took me to figure out the name of the game again when searching for Quicken always showed things unrelated to games lol. 

The way I found out what the name to the game was actually happened by accident. I remember buying off eBay a huge collection of DOS stuff, strategy guides, etc. and they had the Hexen strategy guide, but the game included with the package was Heretic. As soon as I saw the disc I immediately knew it was the right game because of the illustration of Corvus battling the undead warriors. 

All that was so long ago now but doesn’t feel like it was lol. 

Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Heretic, Hexen, Doom, Doom II ; Hell on Earth, Final Doom, Master Levels for Doom II, Duke Nukem, Duke Nukem II, Quake, Wolfenstein 3D, Wolfenstein 3D ; Spear of Destiny, Spear of Destiny Mission Packs (2 games), Commander Keen and its 6 Episodes, Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement, Dangerous Dave, Rescue Rover, Rescue Rover II, Major Stryker, Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion, Blood, and Shadow Warrior. 28 games.

You need to play 'Abuse'. Great run and gun game from '95. You can find it on most abandonware sites.

Kickin' soundtrack, too.

Descent, Abuse, Blood... Rise of the Triad, I remember playing it back then, but looking back... Those are some really fricking hard games.

I just finished playing Heretic; that was pretty fun.

Blackthorne is a decent Metroidvania from the early days of Blizzard (and you can download it for free from their official website).  I never got very far into it, but I've been meaning to give it another go sometime.

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans is all right, albeit not as good as its sequel.  The focus is a lot more on micromanaging individual units than in modern RTS games, partly as a result of the limited pathfinding requiring a lot of babysitting from the player.  You can get it for cheap on GOG.  It has a seriously cool soundtrack, too.

The Elder Scrolls: Arena is an underrated gem.  I did a full playthrough of it recently for my YouTube channel; it's not as in-depth or open-world as later entries in the Elder Scrolls series, but it's a fun little dungeon-crawler.  It's officially distributed for free in several places, but the best place to get it is here, which gets you a pre-configured DOSBox with the fully-patched CD-ROM version of the game.  You may also want this mod to remap the controls to something more modern.

And of course, the various DOOM games should go without saying!

I've played a grand total of only 1(one) Dos game actually on Dosbox so I am only qualified to say The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. If you've ever played Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim, well this is the 2nd game in series. It's even free along with the first game in the series The Elder Scrolls: Arena, though I can't vouch for that game and I hear Daggerfall is that but more. I will get around to play Arena eventually though.

If you want to play it, best way to do so would be the DaggerfallSetup version that comes with fan patches and that you don't actually gotta run on Dosbox. That can be found here.

It's a neat game I think. Even with Morrowind, third game in the series, I come back to it time to time.

10 hours ago, BaileyTW said:

If you want to play it, best way to do so would be the DaggerfallSetup version that comes with fan patches and that you don't actually gotta run on Dosbox. That can be found here.

Actually, currently the best way to play Daggerfall is with the fan-made Unity port.  It's got 99.9% feature-parity with the original, a ton of bugfixes (both gameplay- and performance-related), and mod support.  Of course, it doesn't run in DOS, so not exactly what OP was asking for, but at least it doesn't crash if you look at it funny (which the original DOS version is prone to doing, even with patches).

That said, Daggerfall is amazing and totally worth playing at least once.

On 6/10/2021 at 2:51 PM, omalefico32x said:

im getting into dos now and i was thinking what are your favorite dos games?

Duke Nukem 2

Colonization

Tomb Raider

Warcraft 2

Monkey Island 1 and 2

Day of the Tentacle

Lands of Lore

Doom 1/2

Dark Forces

X-Wing / Tie Fighter

If you are running the Dosbox, install win 3.11 :)

There is also a MP3 Player for Dos, have to look up the Name.

And to pimp up Win3.11

http://www.win31.de/esoft.htm

Edit:

Ahh

http://mpxplay.sourceforge.net/

Another edit:

the win32 Extension, it opens up much potential :)

Edited by Azuris

A friend told me DOS Powerslave is a pretty good DOS game

+1 to Daggerfall Unity. I tend to be a purist, but it's just so much better. Plus the new modding scene it enables is amazing. I like the sim-oriented mods that require you to do things like keep warm and dry, or that add more activity to the world.

I don't have much downtime, so I do most of my gaming on my phone, and on my phone I do most of my gaming using an app called Magic DOSBox. It's a paid app ($3? $5?) but the trial is fairly powerful too. It allows you to make custom widgets for each game. I'm currently refining my personal setup that allows me to play Gold Box RPG's comfortably with one hand in portrait mode.

Also, you should check out X-Com and Laser Squad.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2021-06-11_110526.jpg.8e3f3ea7a5eba63ee30b7bac2c037df8.jpg

Edited by Aaron Blain

i see that a lot of people are recommending rts games too me thing is im didnt play any rts game growing up and the ones i played seemed quite complex whats the best place to start with them?

Here's some favorites or other memorable dos games:

Abuse

One Must Fall: 2097

Worms Plus

Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Tyrian

Silpheed

Stargunner

Operation: Carnage

UFO: Enemy Unknown (and the two sequels)

Master of Orion

Steel Panthers (fun to play local multiplayer with a friend, used to play it with my brother)

Syndicate

Dungeon Keeper

Dune II (though nowadays I'd rather play the windows ones from the series)

The Dig

Hi-Octane (though sort of has a half finished feeling)

13 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

i see that a lot of people are recommending rts games too me thing is im didnt play any rts game growing up and the ones i played seemed quite complex whats the best place to start with them?

Clearly Warcraft 2.

Great Music, great overall Design, the campaign is not too hard.

And you can just cheat, to learn the Mechanics in a easy Way or to just experience the Game in a easy Way.

1 minute ago, Azuris said:

Clearly Warcraft 2.

Great Music, great overall Design, the campaign is not too hard.

And you can just cheat, to learn the Mechanics in a easy Way or to just experience the Game in a easy Way.

thanks im gonna take a look

28 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

I really recommend the C&C games. Especially Red Alert 2, as it is one of the easiest RTS games to learn (and no, I am not suggesting this because it is one of my favorite RTS games ;) )