Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

Widescreen Assets Pack and Appreciation Thread

6 hours ago, Bytefyre said:

Thanks for making these!  Any chance these can be made available as Doom graphics in WAD files?  I've tried using Slade to do this conversion myself but keep ending up with weird colors in the status bar in-game.

A (likely very shoddy) way around this is temporarily copying the PLAYPAL from the PWAD and converting to the existing/global palette. Anyway, here are the bars in WAD format.

Someone offered to re-do the HUD for Sunder, so I hope that also gets posted soon.

Bars.rar

I threw this together for my personal version of the Doom Complete IWAD generated by WADSmoosh. It's mostly based on Nash and Scuba's work, combined with some fairly questionable clonebrushing and a few fragments of the original Brom art where it was useful. I'm sure somebody with actual artistic talent could take the same concept and do it way better.

new-complete-title.png.17daabd37e44e0ddd05fd1d4decd0072.png

I was actually thinking about that all in one iwad recently and what kind of title pic it would use. 

On 6/4/2021 at 6:30 AM, Dwars said:

It should also probably be noted both of the 'successor' forks of PrBoom+ (UMAPINFO/DSDA-Doom) now support widescreen assets, even if the former's support is still in developer builds at the moment.

I also widened the status bars for Sunder and Sunlust/SWTW. If anyone wants to have another go at these, feel free to.

STBARalt.png

STBARSL.png

I fixed the part on the right of the Sunder bar that had lots of mirror symmetry.

STBARalt2.png.d093ee7bea10cb361b4c462eefdff70f.png

What I did was take the extension part on the left, mirror it, and remap colors a few times, getting a few alternatives. One such mapping was "2:2=0:0", "2:15=0:0", "239:239=8:8", "46:47=7:7", "44:45=2:2", "42:43=1:1", "32:41=239:239", "189:189=1:1", "187:188=239:239", "186:186=238:238". I liked none of the alternatives as they were, and instead of recoloring again, I layered two of them with "Lighten" mode to get the final result.

Edited by Zom-B

So glad you guys are coming together to provide this sort of thing for various PWADs out there. I've been adding them into my copies of every WAD on this thread that's in my collection, it's helped freshen them up for my monitor wonderfully. Keep up the good stuff!

Thanks to a thread from @T-Rex, I learned of an earlier 11 map demo release of Hell Revealed with an entirely different MAP01 and less refined versions of the other first 10 maps. Thinking about integrating that early episode with the full release via [x]MAPINFO; could make it so loading it up alongside the base wad gives an episode selection that has an alternate map 1 to 11 that goes into the final release's 12 to 32. Or I could just add the exclusive MAP01 as MAP33. HR might not have the prettiest titlepic and graphics, but given how classic it is, still deserves an upgrade pack right? :p The early versions even have official par times I can implement

EDIT: hows this look? I am aware sky definition is missing

hr.png

Edited by Devalaous

8 minutes ago, Terraformer9x said:

Who is Perdition and why does he have a gate?

honestly I don't know what to say for this one...

TITLEPIC.png

HELP.png

INTERPIC.png

BOSSBACK.png

Yessss. The BOSSBACK is hilarious, the ZDoom patch changes it to something a lot more normal

On 4/20/2021 at 11:24 AM, OpenRift said:

Alright, here we go:

Back to Saturn X Episode 1

DOOM0005.png.aefd624d7799a5a1d31c7945ec2cbb1e.png

Edited title and help screens to use the idgames graphics (episode name, help screen text) on the TITLEPIC and HELP graphics.

BTSX_E1_WS.zip

Back to Saturn X Episode 2

DOOM0006.png.dd9e6e9a83c761a2d0787da694d505c6.png

Edited title and help screens to use the idgames graphics (episode name, help screen text) on the TITLEPIC and HELP graphics.

BTSX_E2_WS.zip

I found a VERY particular graphical anomaly regarding the latest updates to UM and dsda-doom regarding the STBAR included with these WADs.

This only applies to the OpenGL renderer in those ports too, but might be of interest to those using the port and these patches. Palette changes like picking up an item or taking damage will make the very edges of the bars in these WADs fully colored in with the palette until either an option menu is opened up or the palette changes with another item pickup/damage/etc.

This doesn't happen in the software renderer, and nor does it happen with the version of the status bar that's available in the ZDoom thread. Regardless, I'd recommend making your STBARs 486x32 with the offsets 83/0 428/560x32 to avoid this quirk.

Sadly I don't have an ultrawide monitor (I kinda doubt many people here do,) so I'm not sure if status bars of this resolution are affected by this quirk. Even then, it's not too important, but should be noted.

image.png.34b9c80b1e0bf00be53314196b9863d5.png

Edited by Dwars : A better resolution suggestion, thanks Gez and Terraformer9x

This is because there's no clean factor from 4:3 in 320 to 16:9, but there's one to 21:9. Quick maths. First, 4:3 is the same as 12:9. So now we can more easily compare width factors among aspect ratio: 12, 16, and 21. Now we know the the original 12:9 (aka 4:3) pictures are in 320x200. That means "width factor 12" is 320 pixels.

320 ÷ 12 = 26⅔. So now we have the pixel size of our "width factor unit". And it's not an integer value, which sucks.

26⅔ × 16 = 426⅔. Not a clean dimension. 426 is too short, so there's ⅓ of a pixel missing on both sides. You need to go to 428 to preserve centering but you'll only get 1/3 of the outermost texel columns.

26⅔ × 21 = 560. Huzzah! A beautiful integer value! This is a good resolution for Doom art.

486 width would correspond to an aspect ratio of about 18.225:9, so I'm confused by this point.

Made some assets for Dimension of the Boomed

INTERPIC.png.dea255be6348c3e74cf776bf388bd736.png

HELP.png.8760569926845d9c83168ac3c24cadc1.png

CREDIT.png.8c8a3a22c2b05f356ea094b0ae13edfc.png

STBAR.png.25ea07b167c3cb35631b2a5252208dcf.png

If you want the WAD, here: DOTB_wide.zip

Edited by Wavy : Updated HELP

43 minutes ago, Gez said:

486 width would correspond to an aspect ratio of about 18.225:9, so I'm confused by this point.

Ah, fair enough. I went with 486 because most of the ZDoom thread's HUDs were sized that way. You're right, though, 428 and 560 are both better.

Edited by Dwars

I just use 560 since it both covers 21:9 and 16:9. I doubt many people really play Doom in 21:9 but I just go by that standard since that's the size that's used in Nash's and Scuba's wide backgrounds.

I may need to fix my DOTB assets to fit 560px if that's better than 486

4 minutes ago, Terraformer9x said:

I'd also recommend keeping the 4:3 portion intact for the credits image.

Do you mean the border around the id Software credits?

Just now, Wavy said:

Do you mean the border?

Yeah, it's not like super important, especially since people who use these probably have intention of using them for widescreen play only anyway, but I like keeping the 4:3 portions of images in tact as much as possible unless there's anomalies or artifacting that are made obvious by it being widescreen.

10 minutes ago, Terraformer9x said:

Yeah, it's not like super important, especially since people who use these probably have intention of using them for widescreen play only anyway, but I like keeping the 4:3 portions of images in tact as much as possible unless there's anomalies or artifacting that are made obvious by it being widescreen.

Well in that case, I updated my post to have the updated credits (and WAD as well)

10 minutes ago, Wavy said:

Well in that case, I updated my post to have the updated credits (and WAD as well)

Looks really great! :D

Holy shit, the quality in these images are amazing, so far this is my favorite thread in Doomworld!.
And Terraformer9x chill out bro, you can't stop making wonderful graphics

Spoiler

btw can i request some widescreenies for Ancient Aliens and Valiant?

On 6/11/2021 at 10:52 AM, caikelm said:

How do I use this??

Note that this will only work with Zdoom ports as far as I know. Definitely won't work with Chocolate, Crispy, or PRBoom+

Either download the file in the zdoom thread I posted above or download "Ultimate Doom Episode 4 fixes" from this thread:

The only difference is that one has the par times included.

Then use Slade to replace the original image with the widescreen one.

Thanks! The image aligns perfectly except for the upper right tower (e4m7) but it doesn't bother me much