Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

[Limit-Removing] [Is out and ready!] WMC02: Thy Flesh Vored

Just an observation, but some of the screenshots make this look more like a generic Hell episode project than an e4 project specifically, veering too much into the reds, grays and blacks and away from the green stone and wood.  And then there's that one golden heaven screenshot that really sticks out.

Mind you, this is not a complaint per se, as "heavily OTEXed hell episode" is extremely my shit

2 minutes ago, jerrysheppy said:

Just an observation, but some of the screenshots make this look more like a generic Hell episode project than an e4 project specifically, veering too much into the reds, grays and blacks and away from the green stone and wood.  And then there's that one golden heaven screenshot that really sticks out.

To be fair, Endless did say "inspired by e4", which can be interpreted in a lot of different ways. Regarding the heaven screenshot, I kind of agree that it sticks out (still cool though), but the other screenshots show what I would imagine e4 would look like if id had access to modern editors in 1993.

13 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

To be fair, Endless did say "inspired by e4", which can be interpreted in a lot of different ways. Regarding the heaven screenshot, I kind of agree that it sticks out (still cool though), but the other screenshots show what I would imagine e4 would look like if id had access to modern editors in 1993.

Oh, I mean, if Romero and Willits et al. had UDB and OTEX and enough time, I'm sure they'd crank out something like this eventually.  I'm just not sure that makes sense to call it inspired by E4.  "Inspired by [original episode]" has always meant a distinct aesthetic to me and E4 is very heavily in on the green marble, wood, and metal trim, with much less if any use of SP_HOT, say.  If anything gothic and quasi-hellish can be called E4-inspired then it blurs the lines between E4-inspired and, say, Whispers-of-Satan's-hell-maps-inspired.

Again, not a complaint per se; you'd better believe I'm going to play the hell out of this.

3 minutes ago, jerrysheppy said:

If anything gothic and quasi-hellish can be called E4-inspired then it blurs the lines between E4-inspired and, say, Whispers-of-Satan's-hell-maps-inspired.

Fair enough, that's kind of how I feel whenever I see someone posting "gothic" maps and they turn out to be a techbase/generic hell/well-lit castle with cheerful music :P

Then again "gothic" is a much broader term than "e4-inspired".

Don't forget that "inspired by" is not exclusive to the visual aspect. The maps I've playtested definitely feel like they could fit in E4 gameplay wise.

For me in particular, visually, E4 is "marble and wood", which is what I went for aesthetically. Gameplay wise it's all about E4M1 for me.

That's all fair. I can speak for myself when I say my hellish levels (in general) have smatterings of e4, e3, and Sigil. They naturally inspire me here. But having also played E4, UDTWID, AND E4 of Switcheroom in anticipation of this map, and having done two maps for Imperfect Hatred...I definitely focused on some elements directly inspired by some of the classic E4 maps. Lots of wood and some green marble. Some fleshy walls and bloody areas. Platforming (don't @ me for this lol). Goat boys on walkways surrounding damaging liquids. *cough cough*

Spoiler

A hot start with Cacos

*cough cough* Rooms inspired by M1, M2, and M4, for sure. All in a style very visible of where I'm at in my mapping career. Even one of my secrets calls back directly to a secret from the original E4. 

I can also say I've played two other maps and they give it a feel I'm familiar with. I'm always up to see mappers' reinterpretations of a theme, though. Can't wait to help them playtest the rest. I think yall will dig it, regardless.       

5 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Don't forget that "inspired by" is not exclusive to the visual aspect. The maps I've playtested definitely feel like they could fit in E4 gameplay wise.

For me in particular, visually, E4 is "marble and wood", which is what I went for aesthetically. Gameplay wise it's all about E4M1 for me.

I personally tried to avoid using any Doom 2 enemies, except for Hell Knights, to try and get the right gameplay feeling.  IDK how well I pulled it off, though, lol.

The mapset does not follow totally strict rules that emulate the style of E4 from head to toe, but they try to follow a few guidelines inspired by the design, style and essence of the classic episode. Especially in gameplay, where most of the maps follow a route of tactical, destructive and necessary resource management combat. Other classic forms of inspiration come in its short/medium design, maps with a gothic, hellish, marble and orange skybox visual aesthetic (which will be implemented in the final version) all inspired by Thy Flesh Consumed.

Personally, my map is inspired by the infernal aesthetics of E4M1 and the closed fortresses of E4M6.

My first map for the project was inspired by E4M1 and uses the green marble style textures and has a lot of teleportation going on and can be beat in 8 minutes or so.

My 2nd map (the one with the large dark bricks and blood pouring from a barred window), started with me experimenting with the available textures. I really didn't intend to do a 2nd level but it just kinda happened. The map also has areas of green marble so it may not entirely look like E4 but it does in part and I absolutely loved working with the dark stone. I was going to use more of a marble / wood combo for a 2nd level but these other textures look so fukken nice. XD

9 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Aww shit, fam. Here comes Rem to bring THE PAIN.

Don't trust Remilia, she'll lure you with the snazzy marble and wood and then BAM, you got monsters taking your parts to different places on the map. ;)

On 6/11/2021 at 6:05 AM, Doom_Dude said:

Don't trust Remilia, she'll lure you with the snazzy marble and wood and then BAM, you got monsters taking your parts to different places on the map. ;)

I’m still missing a few of mine. Let me know if you find them. 🤣💀🐻

RC1 IS OUT!

» » THY FLESH VORED « «

wmc02-logo.png

Loosely inspired by Thy Flesh Consumed, this project brings you 14 fascinating maps full of marble, hell, demons and shotguns ready to devastate hell. The hunger for sin is great, are you ready to devour it?

Edited by Endless

It breaks DSDA-Doom 0.19.3 -complevel 2 all over the place on Map01. There are so many missing texture there. Am I actually missing something?

Also, the door behind the Blue Skull Key door has linedef intervention and it's very hard to open unless you're at a certain angle. The next room is full of infinite height hanging corpse that ruins the whole gameplay aspect.

Hopefully it's my problem instead of your problem... Otherwise, I can't really see me playing after all these.

30 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

There are so many missing texture there. Am I actually missing something?

I believe this is your source port or complevel.  I cannot duplicate this at all in K8, Doom Retro, Doomsday, or GZDoom.

31 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Also, the door behind the Blue Skull Key door has linedef intervention

Could you explain what you mean here?  I'm a bit confused when you say it has an intervention. 

22 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

I believe this is your source port or complevel.  I cannot duplicate this at all in K8, Doom Retro, Doomsday, or GZDoom.

Huh? Isn't just limit removing? And I assume the base IWAD is Doom 2 because it doesn't work on Ultimate Doom, or there's a resource pack? All other maps seem fine on my side. Only Map01 breaks.

I redownloaded it and all the missing texture is there. There's almost no possibility that my sourceport and complevel being wrong as I played so many things with DSDA-Doom already.

Could you explain what you mean here?  I'm a bit confused when you say it has an intervention. 

There are linedefs close to the door, and this will make the door super difficult to open. Try open that door from the from in PrBoom+ -cl2, you'll see what I mean.

Edited by GarrettChan

2 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Huh? Isn't just limit removing? And I assume the base IWAD is Doom 2 because it doesn't work on Ultimate Doom, or there's a resource pack? All other maps seem fine on my side. Only Map01 breaks.

Limit-removing, yes.  And there is no resource pack, yet DSDA seems to be only port that's breaking in regards to the textures.