Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

Doom 64 has too many squares, every damn map has a basic square shape. Doom 2 is too not bland. We need a mix, a balance between the two. idk, but hey doom 64 is still great

20 hours ago, Puncher_Sponge said:

Hell Revealed is my favourite megawad of all time.

Yo man, what difficulty did you complete it on? I'm gonna start on it soon, but I saw the Dean Of Doom episode on it and it looks WAY to grind-y for my taste on UV (tons of barons per level etc) - I'm thinking of dipping down to HMP for my first play through, so I don't get burned out and start hating it.  What do u think?

3 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Yo man, what difficulty did you complete it on? I'm gonna start on it soon, but I saw the Dean Of Doom episode on it and it looks WAY to grind-y for my taste on UV (tons of barons per level etc) - I'm thinking of dipping down to HMP for my first play through, so I don't get burned out and start hating it.  What do u think?

Hell Revealed without being grindy, eh?... Are you perhaps familiar with the -nomonsters parameter

I haven't played Hell Revealed since the 90's, and grindy was how it was done back in the day. The wad does have some really interesting architecture. Well worth a look for that alone. Not that you asked, but take that for what it is worth. Definitely worth playing if you can find a difficulty that doesn't do your head in.

7 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

On HNTR the grind is almost non-existent for what it's worth, save for MAP18 and especially the blue key room in MAP23 *shudders*

On 6/8/2021 at 10:36 AM, Caco Bell said:

Don't know how controversial this is, but does anyone agree that Doom 2 can be a complete ass to play on pistol start? I'm not talking about hard starts cause that's fun (Tricks and Traps and Suburbs are good examples), I'm talking about desperately running around the level trying to find a box of shells after having spent all of my ammo on cacos and/or pain elementals (happened to me on The Pit and Abandoned Mines). I'm currently playing Plutonia on pistol start and it's honestly much less frustrating despite the nominally higher difficulty.

gotta treat The Pit as an infighting map from pistol start, I think? don't fire a shot in the big moat room until there's precisely one Hell Knight left imo

I mean I could just lean on infighting and berserking, but imo it takes too long to play that way and gets tedious. I remember that my biggest mistake on this map is always sub-par BFG use, if I do not make every cell count I end up in an awkward situation 2/3rds into the map.

Of course it might be due to my low skill level, but I find it funny that some "harder" mapsets cause me less trouble in that regard. I actually like maps that force me to conserve supplies (I love TNT:Revilution MAP05 for instance), but they have to be quick and short.

bloodsea keep is the best map on the master levels followed by black tower

12 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

If grindiness worries you, I recommend playing Alien Vendetta instead. Similar peak difficulty but much less grind.

I know its supposed to demonstrate infighting, but Fortress of Mystery is by far the worst map of all of the doom maps.

1 minute ago, Redoom said:

Fortress of Mystery is my favorite map

Your deceptions do not phase me! I am tilt proof!!!

8 hours ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

Hell Revealed without being grindy, eh?... Are you perhaps familiar with the -nomonsters parameter

LMAO love it

12 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

you are the guy who wasted your time on maximum doom and you are worried about it being too grind? lol

On 5/28/2021 at 6:15 PM, VisionThing said:

The PSX plasma gun sound is automatically superior by virtue of  being the exact sound from the Terminator films. That and it just isn't hideously grating like the standard PC sound.

On this note, my controversial opinion is that I fucking love the plasma rifle sound, and it's part of the reason that it's my favorite gun to use in the game by far.

The Master Levels are very, VERY good. I absolutely love them, especially Mephisto's mausoleum 

"Romero One Mind Any Weapon", while excellent on a technical level, is the most ill-fitting track on SIGIL. It is too fast, chaotic, long, and repetitive for the map slot it occupies, and doesn't do a good job of representing the overall atmosphere of the WAD.

On 6/10/2021 at 7:06 PM, Maximum Matt said:

I completed it on UV. My advice is just always expect the worst I guess.

On 6/12/2021 at 11:25 AM, Lol 6 said:

The Master Levels are very, VERY good. I absolutely love them, especially Mephisto's mausoleum 

If you compare them with D!ZONE

After reading this page on the Doom Wiki:

If ZDaemon, DelphiDoom, and fucking Doomsday can score an "Average" Vanilla Doom accuracy rating (as opposed to "Low"), so can GZDoom, particularly on Doom (Strict) compatibility.

Obviously "High" and "Very High" should be reserved for ports that can play 1.9 demos at least, but come on now. The only standout issues are ghost monsters (Graf plz) or obscure bug exploits like Linguortals and Mikoportals, and even some of the "High" or "Very High" ports don't have the latter.

37 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

After reading this page on the Doom Wiki:

If ZDaemon, DelphiDoom, and fucking Doomsday can score an "Average" Vanilla Doom accuracy rating (as opposed to "Low"), so can GZDoom, particularly on Doom (Strict) compatibility.

Obviously "High" and "Very High" should be reserved for ports that can play 1.9 demos at least, but come on now. The only standout issues are ghost monsters (Graf plz) or obscure bug exploits like Linguortals and Mikoportals, and even some of the "High" or "Very High" ports don't have the latter.

So weird to have ZDaemon score higher than GZDoom lol.

Doom 2 relied too much on a single work-horse & it shows throughout the middle of the game.

3 minutes ago, Sambo J said:

Doom 2 relied too much on a single work-horse & it shows throughout the middle of the game.

Not exactly sure what you're referring to? But yes, by today's standards the original commercial IWAD's have well known flaws, even though most people cut them some slack for, well, pioneering it all, and being huge classics overall.

Also, I've always pronounced it as Zee Doom as an ESL person, as z is pronounced as Ze in my language and i never got used to the term Zed, really. Either way is right i guess, regional thing as best pokemon guy said.

9 minutes ago, Mayomancer said:

Not exactly sure what you're referring to?

Just the original post topic :)

It just feels like the middle Doom 2 levels weren't polished as well as the others, most likely due to the time restrictions they were working under.