Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paar

Doom: Toxicity - Non-linear techbase shootout (Release)

I've been waiting for this since you mentioned it in your Chasm of Sinful thread. I'll be giving this a playthrough today for sure and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for sharing it with all of us. Every map you've made has been extremely fun, and judging by the screenshots and the fact that you made it, I'm sure this is going to be awesome as well.

Looking forward to your experience with the map. I've tried something different and would love to hear some feedback if it works or not.

Nice map don't know how I survived with all the hitscanners and limited health. I got lost but that's ok I always do these days. Nice classic feeling map and pretty challenging for the limited use of monster types 

Could use some armour earlier on with the amount of hitscanners there are, and I also ran out of SG and CG ammo once each in the early part of the map. With non-linear maps you have to make sure that there's enough ammo around to cover people taking paths you may not have thought of. (I think I went a sub-optimal route, but still, that can happen in non-linear maps)

Everytime I played the level I had so much ammo I had to remove some to make it more fun. There is still plenty around if you look and especially when you use a chainsaw here and there. BTW there is a green armor right at the starting area but you have to jump down to the slime to get it.

Thanks for playing! Hope you had fun.

2 hours ago, Paar said:

Everytime I played the level I had so much ammo I had to remove some to make it more fun. There is still plenty around if you look and especially when you use a chainsaw here and there. BTW there is a green armor right at the starting area but you have to jump down to the slime to get it.

Thanks for playing! Hope you had fun.

Keep in mind that you made the map so you know exactly how to play it and we're all trying it here for the first time 🙂

Fun little map. Had its own style with the E1 them rather than being a more direct TWID-esque imitation which I like and also used the limited bestiary effectively.

I love a fun techbase map with that E1-spirit and this one's a banger. Nasty, challenging combat that makes the low-tier demons good and threatening with interesting map layouts and progression with cheeky secrets, some I wasn't entirely able to figure out, some neat little ambushes and monster closets, it's got it all for the kind of action-packed map I enjoy playing the most. Really awesome stuff, Paar.

Terrific map! I’ll definitely take inspiration from this one - maybe being more generous with health. I mean,  @Biodegradable killed my a zombieman is nothing I see often. 😉

Yeah, I'll probably put a stimpack or two in the starting areas in the next version. But he died only once, that's a good result I think.

6 hours ago, Clippy said:

Keep in mind that you made the map so you know exactly how to play it and we're all trying it here for the first time 🙂

I think this is an important point to keep in mind, and possibly more relevant for non-linear maps. Playing a map when you know what's coming is a very different experience.

25 minutes ago, Degree23 said:

I think this is an important point to keep in mind, and possibly more relevant for non-linear maps. Playing a map when you know what's coming is a very different experience.

And that's the only way I play bro haha

I'm usually a one and done kind of guy too many maps out there to play and I want to catch them all 

This map of course would be great for revisiting but I ain't got time for that

I'm not dismissing your complaints, I'm sure they're valid. It's always a delicate process to balance a map. For me, I want to give first-players good challenge but at the same time, a good challenge for people who would like to play the level repeatedly (who knows, perhaps there will be somebody who wants to play it again). Often, once you know the level and are familiar with all the secrets, it becomes rather easy, even on UV. That's why an input from first-players is invaluable as it'll get me important feedback to make some necessary adjustments. I will definitely make some minor rebalancing, mainly for ammo and health placements, and maybe make Soulsphere secret more obvious :D.

No need to change the secret cause it stumped me haha. I liked how it was so close but so far. But yeah I think repeat players are in the minority in such a busy busy environment with new maps coming out every day like water flowing out of my broken kitchen faucet 🤯

Made a minor update to the level, just added some stimpacks and few ammo items. Nothing major, just to make the beginning a teenie bit more merciful.

This neat, little, cramped techbase is looks and plays awesome! I played on HMP an had enough bullets to basically not using the shotgun anymore. You did a great job on the verticality. With all these hitscanner sniper points, zombieman and shotgunners are almost at an advantage. The corridors felt a bit tiny sometimes. One really has to maneuver carefully here to not get stuck all the time. It's full of good looking small decorations. The entry to the exit room - clever. I enjoyed it very much!

Wow! This single map is incredible. I rarely play original Doom maps, but I'm a sucker for techbases! I felt as if I was playing an expansion portion of something from E1.

More of this please!!!

More of satisfied "customers"... I cannot be any happier :).

Really fun map, lots of classic style shooting to be had. Don't have much to say other than nice work and thanks!

Thank you, am already working on my next thing, which will be completely different.

Thank you very much! Played it on Crispy, finished it on UV-max, and had a really good time doing so.

Spoiler

But why was the sixth and last secret just a mere lamp???

Hi! Thank you for playing the map, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm not sure what you mean by the lamp secrets but it's probably an oversight. I'll look into it and make an update if necessary.

When it comes to making a non-linear map, it can be difficult to balance it for routes and such. Thing about this map is, I had too much fun moving around all the nooks and crannies to really care about such meanderings as thinking and using my thought sponge for anything other than creating viscera out of a well rounded set of a usually poorly utilized bestiary. Perhaps some credit is due to the nature of the map, its small, cramped physique, jam-packed with goodies and monsters ready to spring traps on the player. However, most of the credit is due to the mapper for the intelligent usage of the layout and detail to create refreshing rooms that have tons of ways to go about them. It's like a really small Plutonia 2 map in the freedom the player has but without the headaches that exploring the proto-typical non-linear/branching maps tend to have. All due to the well made thing placement, which while plentiful, will require a lot of exploring in order to secure the resources needed to pillar further into the contaminated facility. Overall, a solid 5/5, easily one of the best non-linear levels I ever played, because it lived up to its name for once!