Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
we're closed

Revamped Base (Limit-removing Doom 2 map)

An old base that wasn't used by (insert-UAC-replacement). On its inauguration day, a tragedy stuck the newly built base, almost reverting it to its origins. Kill whatever's in there.

So, it's been a while since I last did something in this community, like a post, or a reply, or a map for example. Well, after a short hiatus, I'm ready to show you a modest map that I (not so) quickly put together. I'm not so confident about it, to the point that I feel like a shouldn't even continue mapping after this, but, who cares? As usual, here's the important stuff:

Edited by we're closed

This is actually pretty good. I really like how you executed the concept of a base filled with slime. It could probably have used a smidge more ammo for the Revenants in the maze leading to the yellow key but that's the only seriously annoying part (well, finding out you can't waste too much ammo on the cacos in the red key courtyard before the time-release mechanism lets you out sucked, but eh).

Played in Zandronum. As a standalone map, it works quite well for what it's intended to be. Normally I dislike so much damaging floor without a Radsuit, however most of it was avoidable, and there was a fair amount of health around. There's a couple of things that stood out to me.

- The SSG is given way too late into the map as I've already had to SG/CG 4 Cacodemons and several Revenants. By the time you give the SSG the map is almost over.

- There's all a Green Armor near the end of the level, which is basically useless by that point. (Unless this was as part of a WAD with more maps afterward)

- Standing here not only seemed to stop monsters from reaching me, but they also weren't able to shoot me.

Nice fun little map overall, and some small tweaks would yield some decent improvements.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:12 PM, elio.exe said:

I'm not so confident about it, to the point that I feel like a shouldn't even continue mapping after this, but, who cares?

I care, mate. I care a lot. I adore your style and want to see you grow and improve more over time. You've got a lot of potential and you're already well on your way. Don't pressure yourself too much, fam. This is a hobby after all, it's supposed to be fun. Just experiment, muck around and enjoy yourself.

On 6/12/2021 at 10:12 AM, elio.exe said:

I'm not so confident about it, to the point that I feel like a shouldn't even continue mapping after this, but, who cares? As usual, here's the important stuff:

I must have missed this comment originally. I've played maps much worse than this, so as Biodegradable said, just play around with ideas when you have them. Feedback on your maps over time also helps you improve.

3 minutes ago, Degree23 said:

I must have missed this comment originally. I've played maps much worse than this, so as Biodegradable said, just play around with ideas when you have them. Feedback on your maps over time also helps you improve.

For real, Elio's really good at making really fun, compact maps and he's got an eye for interesting texturing. Check out his post history for other cool stuff he's made.

On 6/13/2021 at 3:07 PM, Biodegradable said:

I care, mate. I care a lot. I adore your style and want to see you grow and improve more over time. You've got a lot of potential and you're already well on your way. Don't pressure yourself too much, fam. This is a hobby after all, it's supposed to be fun. Just experiment, muck around and enjoy yourself.

Idk, there might be a lot of factors, like me enjoying other people's maps more and also wanting to revert back to my old style, which, by other people's standards is way weaker. I'm also unable to find anything interesting anymore, not just Doom-related stuff, I'm just having one of those long phases where I have no motivation to do anything :/

1 hour ago, elio.exe said:

Idk, there might be a lot of factors, like me enjoying other people's maps more and also wanting to revert back to my old style, which, by other people's standards is way weaker. I'm also unable to find anything interesting anymore, not just Doom-related stuff, I'm just having one of those long phases where I have no motivation to do anything :/

Relax. Your brain needs slack time to rewire and eventually come up with new ideas. Do something completely different for a while.

@Dragonfly wrote a post about motivation: https://www.dfdoom.com/staying-motivated-as-a-doom-mapper/

Just want to say 'good job' to Clippy and Biodegradeable for always being up for playing through new mappers wads.

Very well made map here! Played in Doom32.exe w/ DosBox. Really fun classic style romp with great visuals that are well refined. No issues found, just lots of fun kills.. Nice one!

I have watched a playthrough by @Biodegradable and liked visual style of the map a lot. The layout seemed a little flat (I prefer maps with more verticality that make you think in 3D) even though the navigation through the level seemed fun. Will definitely try to play it once I have some time.

I played Revamped Base rev_base.wad with PrBoom-Plus on Hurt Me Plenty, this is a challenging map, 59/100. My biggest complaint would be no chaingun ammo for the entire map. There was 1 box of bullets in the map, and most of the bullets you find in the map are either clips or from dead soldiers. I had enough shotgun ammo to survive the map, and I would use the pistol for longer range enemies. Fighting mid level enemies with the shotgun in a small room is difficult. I recommend replacing shotgun shells with boxes of bullets that you would use with the chaingun. The ambushes were the best part of the map. I had to attempt rev_base.wad at least 2 times to understand the enemy placement in the map. Being stuck in a small area with 4 Cacodemons. That is a tough map.