Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sammy J

Using MIDIs of Copyright Songs in custom WADs

7 hours ago, Terminus said:

Twitch-wise you should be fine but from my experience Youtube automatically flags even MIDI covers of existing songs.

Yeah, this also happened to me while playing Tenth Gear on YouTube, not like I cared since I only have like 10 subs or something like that, but even less than 10 seconds of the midi cover of Santeria (the song in question) flagged the video in multiple different videos (because I let a bit of the song play in most of the videos). 

So if anyone somehow gets to the number of subs that gets you monetized in a channel about playing wads first check if it has copyrighted music to mute the song, shitty as Terminus said, but what can you do, since the only way that has been proven successful on YouTube reversing something it did was through Twitter and in that case you have to have a lot of people following what you do on Twitter to complain to YouTube.

41 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Hellbound features a couple of Pantera MIDI covers, but I do not recall the project ever getting in trouble over it.

Some of my Hellbound videos got ID'ed and have ads forced on them that are tied to whatever record label or company that owns the rights, and I don't even have monetization on.

Honestly I don't mind that as much, they make their money and everyone else can enjoy the gameplay and videos. It would be pretty shitty if content creators risk losing their channels for something so benign as a midi iteration of a song.

Ironically, in my recent brush with this, that's what YouTube said would happen to my video, it would get ads forced on it that was tied to the record label that had the rights to the music/melody that my E1M2 modification allegedly copied.  Had it been for music that featured a remix of someone else's song, or something that closely resembled the song, I would have accepted it and taken the same stance on it as Rayziik above (even if it had been, say, one of Bobby Prince's Slayer-inspired tracks being flagged for sounding similar to Slayer).  Perhaps in hindsight I should have done that anyway, but in my case it didn't feel right to accept what was clearly a false positive.

1 hour ago, Rayziik said:

Honestly I don't mind that as much, they make their money and everyone else can enjoy the gameplay and videos.

This is fine when all they do is show an ad, but some music owners are stricter, for example Star Wars music will get your video on YouTube muted completely, and some songs such as Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand, Blue Moon (the Frank Sinatra version for sure, probably others as well), and others will get your video outright blocked in multiple countries (including the US and England, the two main sources for most english language video views).  I know this with these specific songs from experience, and I'm sure there are many others with these same restrictions.

1 hour ago, Rayziik said:

Some of my Hellbound videos got ID'ed and have ads forced on them that are tied to whatever record label or company that owns the rights, and I don't even have monetization on.

Oh no, really? I am sorry to hear that. I guess I had not considered the angle of being an uploader on YouTube.

2 hours ago, VanaheimRanger said:

This is fine when all they do is show an ad, but some music owners are stricter, for example Star Wars music will get your video on YouTube muted completely, and some songs such as Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand, Blue Moon (the Frank Sinatra version for sure, probably others as well), and others will get your video outright blocked in multiple countries (including the US and England, the two main sources for most english language video views).  I know this with these specific songs from experience, and I'm sure there are many others with these same restrictions.

That's definitely a thing that can and probably will happen. Or some bot will copyright claim your original compisition within seconds of it being uploaded because exactly two notes sound vaguely similar to something you never knew even existed.

Fuck DMCA, but the people who were blatantly downloading and pirating stuff illegally with Napster and Torrent back in the 90s and early 2000s? Those are the people you get to thank for the bullshit we all have to put up with these days.

4 minutes ago, Traysandor said:

Fuck DMCA, but you have the people who were blatantly downloading stuff illegally with Napster and Torrent back in the 90s and early 2000s to thank for the bullshit we all have to put up with.

Hey...that was me...lol

17 minutes ago, Traysandor said:

Fuck DMCA, but the people who were blatantly downloading and pirating stuff illegally with Napster and Torrent back in the 90s and early 2000s? Those are the people you get to thank for the bullshit we all have to put up with these days. 

Ah, now that's some nostalgia, I definitely miss the days where I used to download random obscure italo disco songs.

1 hour ago, Traysandor said:

Do not blame some random people who were using Napster and Torrent the way it was meant to be used; blame the big fishes of the music industry for their greed and shitty business practices as well as politicians for passing the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

1 hour ago, Traysandor said:

That's definitely a thing that can and probably will happen. Or some bot will copyright claim your original compisition within seconds of it being uploaded because exactly two notes sound vaguely similar to something you never knew even existed.

After my earlier experience I've been thinking about that possibility myself, as I've been intending to upload original compositions of my own in the near future.

I reckon it wouldn't have ended up much different even without the Napster/Torrent stuff.  If I remember rightly the main focus back then was often on curbing "casual copying" and reducing the range of activities that were considered fair use, such as the criminalization of circumventing copy protection, which got around the fair use exemption for making a backup copy for personal use.

6 hours ago, Traysandor said:

no, the music executives and all the politicians they paid off are the ones we get to thank. they're the ones who did all the shit in the first place, not random-ass people downloading low-quality mp3s with napster

here's my boy tyler to explain it better

Edited by roadworx

Very unlikely someone is going to take very legitimate legal action over you putting a midi or even a recording of a song in your midi.

But for platforms like youtube and to a varying but soon probably similar degree other popular platforms, someone doing a video with the music is probably going to get their video flagged by a bot for copyright bullshit making it difficult for that wad to show up in any sort of video if that is something you care about. This is of course not a problem that is going away cause copyright law enforcement being this strict for larger groups is like free money.

7 hours ago, Traysandor said:

People pirating stuff back in the 90s 2000s and today are actually the real heroes

6 hours ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

Since everyone is talking about copyright law and youtube, I would reccomend watching EmperorLemon's three part video series on the Copyright Law Metagame. It's a bit old, but the video aged pretty well.

Their editing style may be a bit off-putting, but they make youtube poops, so just keep that in mind.

Tom Scott's video "YouTube's Copyright System Isn't Broken, The World's Is" is also a very good watch, takes a bit of a different perspective as suggested by the title.

My (quite radical) perspective is that in an ideal society intellectual property would not exist. But I think going further into why wouldn't help a thread that's already starting to derail.

Even in the era of MIDI ringtones (2000s...) there was no enforcement of copyright -even by those who'd have a vested interest in making sure that it is, aka those run-of-the-mill "added value" services that "sold" ringtones and Java games through MMS (and then also subscribed you to a pay-through-your-nose service, but that's another story).

How legal *their* selling of MIDIs was and what kinds of licensing agreements with the RIAA or anyone else they had (if any), is up to debate too.

YouTube demonitized one of my video's for using a MIDI of Duran Duran's A View to a Kill.

I also noticed a larger YouTuber switching the music when playing custom WADs. 

Is this something I should do when uploading playthroughs with custom music?