14 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

All of them waited with baited breath

Sally, having swallowed cheese
Directs down holes the scented breeze
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.

--Geoffrey Taylor, Cruel Clever Cat

:p

I can already imagine part of the introduction of this year's Cacowards: "This year saw mappers giving players that finale nudge to download a whole flurry of source ports new to them. We can only hope that with projects like Heartland and Eschatology, ports like Eternity and K8Vavoom have reached a bigger community of people wanting to work with their specific features. Will 2021 be remembered as the year that...". :p

20 minutes ago, Gez said:

:p

LOL wow I missed that.  You see... she was uhh... fishing.  Yeah, fishing.  On Mars.  And the demons, they had been eating a lot of her bait, so their breath smelled like bait.  *cough* Yeah... >_>

I think i've retweeted your screenies enough to show it, but i absolutely love the look of your k8vavoom maps, can't wait for the release of this one :D

40 minutes ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

I can already imagine part of the introduction of this year's Cacowards: "This year saw mappers giving players that finale nudge to download a whole flurry of source ports new to them. We can only hope that with projects like Heartland and Eschatology, ports like Eternity and K8Vavoom have reached a bigger community of people wanting to work with their specific features. Will 2021 be remembered as the year that...". :p

Oh man i really hope so. EE and k8vavoom deserve a lot more high quality beautiful maps like these. I know for a fact they've singlehandedly made me test out both ports, and i hope the same goes for a lot more people. I'm already certain i'll either make a map or organize a community project, i just don't know for which port just yet...

I love the atmosphere of Quake (particularly the lighting) but prefer Doom's gameplay - so this is right up my alley.  You've captured Quake's oppressive and austere look perfectly here, nay, outdone it even.  Beautiful stuff.

omg this looks absolutely gorgeous, i can't wait for these to come out!!

2 hours ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

let the port wars begin

no but srsly, it's about time. these source ports need more love than they get

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

let the port wars begin

it's hard to start a war when there is no enemy. also, cooperation always worked much better than fighting. ;-)

1 hour ago, holaareola said:

I love the atmosphere of Quake (particularly the lighting)

then why you aren't Vavoom yet?! ;-) no, really, Janis used Quake as an inspiration, and implemented the same lightmapped lighting as in Quake. k8vavoom still have lighmapped mode (and with the upcoming build it should be mostly free of Space Ants), and that mode is the only one that has overbrighting implemented. and it is colored. the best of Quake + the best of Doom, in one port! ;-)

1 hour ago, Turin Turambar said:

One of those days you will be able to compile all in a megawad!

hah, I suppose that would be an unintended side-effect of this project, yeah.

10 hours ago, ketmar said:

the best of Quake + the best of Doom, in one port!

Hmm, maybe I picked up on this subconsciously.  I was wanting something that was a nice blend between Quake and Doom, since I play the former more yet map for the latter more.  And both have their own strengths engine-wise.  Maybe that's why this feels like a good fit.

rofl space ants XD

Quake feels slower than Doom for me (because, afair, player speed in Quake was really reduced), and i miss my Doom demonic friends. ;-) that's why i never really liked Quake. of course, i played it alot when it was fresh, but then stopped. so "Quake-in-Doom" is really the best of both worlds for me. ;-)

p.s.: "Quake inspiration" in Vavoom often means "god bless GPL, let's take this Quake code!" ;-)

CGjL57M.png

sO69DOI.png

mYrOmTh.png

7vEC5zy.png

Just a small update with some new screenshots from what I'm calling my "rotten temple" map.

I also recently added a new powerup that acts as a slight damage increase for the shotguns, as well as greatly narrows their spread.  The idea is that you can use them to fight a lot of beefy  far off or sniper-like enemies.  Mapping-wise, it's meant to be used when the player only has shotguns, or shotguns + chaingun, providing a much more useful (though temporary) far-off sniping tool than the chaingun.

Lastly, the original post was slightly updated with some basic information, and also a link to my Discord server, where I tend to post more often about this project.

20 minutes ago, Bucket said:

Looks neat.

Need any music?

I was planning to do it all myself, but... yeah, if you want to contribute some, that would be aweseome :D  I'm hoping for mp3/ogg/opus or a module format is all.

1 hour ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

I was planning to do it all myself, but... yeah, if you want to contribute some, that would be aweseome :D  I'm hoping for mp3/ogg/opus or a module format is all.

What genre are you looking for?

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

Holy crap, it's huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

lol it isn't that huge.  That takes about 12 minutes to play so far.

58 minutes ago, Bucket said:

What genre are you looking for?

Ambient, dark ambient, gothic, demoscene-style, industrial... all of those would work.

There's a lot of room in those genres, so I threw something together. This is before any mixing or major production. Maybe it's a little too clean for your tastes, I don't know. I can definitely try something with more distortion and manipulated samples of pigs being slaughtered.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xkaHoqKLCcfVX8OeIbp7jFsyv8-RGLT_/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: For some stupid reason, Google Drive renames the OGG file to OGV. You should be able to just change it back.

Edited by Bucket

I talked myself into submitting this song for this project, even though it wasn't intended for Doom use. I'd most likely put some tweaks on it first.

5 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I sure do love contributing to projects wherein I'm the only one posting updates.

You know what, you should probably be DMing me so that I don't loose track of when someone posts here.  Especially since I haven't officially added you to the project yet.

Also, nearly all of the actual development work is happening on Discord.

Weird. DW automatically notifies me about every thread I've stuck my nose in in the past year.

Same, but when you get as many notifications as I do, loosing track of them is a possibility.

Regardless, this is not the place for submissions for the project.  I'm also not sure if your music will fit with what I have envisioned.  I appreciate the effort and thought, though! 

4 minutes ago, Bucket said:

Weird. DW automatically notifies me about every thread I've stuck my nose in in the past year.

I wake up to about 60 notifications on here every day, there's no way I'm looking to see what all of them are.  I assume many people here are the same.

EDIT: It might also be worth pointing out that this isn't the only project Scarlet has going right now and might be busy overseeing those as well.